Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Can we talk about Re:Creators now? That first episode's surely a keeper. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
pee:creators

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna need a second, non-Grouchio opinion on it before I consider watching.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

chumbler posted:

Gonna need a second, non-Grouchio opinion on it before I consider watching.

spaceflower said it is good, and it's by the black lagoon creator

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

4nox:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_w_oMIbV5A

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Lol Gunbuster pose Mami

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

appreciate Sayaka already being owned in that trailer

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Sakurazuka posted:

Lol Gunbuster pose Mami

That's Diebuster.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Rebellion was...basically all of my worst expectations for it, unfortunately. I was afraid its themes would boil down to Homura Missed The Point Of The Show and Fans/Anime Execs Also Missed The Point And Are Trampling It By Demanding More, and while I'm certainly open to letting people convince me that that's not what I got, uh...

There were some nice scenes in it, though. Kyouko and Sayaka get to be happy girlfriends (sort of) and Sayaka is apparently the Lady Knight Of Heaven, which loving owns. Cinematography and choreography are stupidly gorgeous, even moreso than the show. And you could write a really fascinating followup to it, and it would probably star Sayaka! But in terms of actually Meaning Something that I liked, as it is right now with no follow up....no dice. At least not on a first viewing.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its very divisive

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

that wasn't true of EoE either btw

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Yeah, I know, but it's a useful shorthand to pull. :shrug:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

lets hang out posted:

yeah I didn't want to draw that comparison before he watched it, but I feel pretty much identically about eoe and rebellion. they're both insanely good epilogues that mesh perfectly with the endings of their series

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

That's Diebuster.

It's the same pose! And for that matter Getter Robo G did it before either of them.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Also, I don't suppose they've said anything more concrete than this concept trailer, have they? Any formal "hey we're working on a thing and hope to be done by ____?"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also, I don't suppose they've said anything more concrete than this concept trailer, have they? Any formal "hey we're working on a thing and hope to be done by ____?"
no, they've just alluded to it being the trailer for a new madoka project. its not widely released either, it was just part of a shaft anniversary exhibit. that vid is the first time I've even seen it on youtube, and its just because someone uploaded it a couple weeks ago for an april fools joke

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i prefer my magical girl series constructed

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Homura Missed The Point Of The Show

I don't know what The Point Of The Show As Interpreted By Nox is, but I thought Homuras actions were entirely in character in the third movie instalment of Horuma loves Madoka.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
The c3-bu pose

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Oh poo poo is that this season

yeah

i cant wait for FAVAROOOOOOO to show up again

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

magical girls yay

https://twitter.com/GoldenAni/status/850534367353024512

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
It's fine to disagree the final decision but I dunno how you can say Homura missed the point of the show when she was the one evangelizing it. The entire premise of Rebellion is reconciling with herself and deciding that she gets the point and she's decided to oppose it. She doesn't style herself a demon after being forcibly taken from her depressing suicide world because she thinks she has a moral high ground.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SX836fYQL4E

YOU ARE THE BEST OF FRIEND!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i need to catch up on kira kira precure

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

It's fine to disagree the final decision but I dunno how you can say Homura missed the point of the show when she was the one evangelizing it. The entire premise of Rebellion is reconciling with herself and deciding that she gets the point and she's decided to oppose it. She doesn't style herself a demon after being forcibly taken from her depressing suicide world because she thinks she has a moral high ground.

Eh. I feel like Missed vs Rejected is kind of semantics. I mostly just felt like the movie didn't really convince me that either Homura really did have the moral high ground or that said high ground was anywhere other than where the original show had already put it - hoping through despair, living with the reality of death and loss, still reaching out to others and believing that everything will be made right some day. All that. Even moreso than the bittersweet ending, Rebellion bugged me because I didn't feel like it actually had anything to add to what the original show had to say about How You Should Live. It's just that where the original show ended with Madoka embracing that message and the show demonstrating how happy and fulfilled that made everyone, the movie ends with Homura rejecting it and demonstrating how badly that rejection ultimately hurts herself and everyone around her. I don't mind a cautionary tale, but when it has ultimately the same moral that the original series expressed so well and made so much more uplifting, I don't really get any satisfaction out of it.

But anyway, that's probably enough :words: for now.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

not everything has to have a message or moral backing, and its not like the original series has a particularly inspiring message at the end. homura definitely didn't think so

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

El Burbo posted:

yeah

i cant wait for FAVAROOOOOOO to show up again

I'm excite

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Eh. I feel like Missed vs Rejected is kind of semantics. I mostly just felt like the movie didn't really convince me that either Homura really did have the moral high ground or that said high ground was anywhere other than where the original show had already put it - hoping through despair, living with the reality of death and loss, still reaching out to others and believing that everything will be made right some day. All that. Even moreso than the bittersweet ending, Rebellion bugged me because I didn't feel like it actually had anything to add to what the original show had to say about How You Should Live. It's just that where the original show ended with Madoka embracing that message and the show demonstrating how happy and fulfilled that made everyone, the movie ends with Homura rejecting it and demonstrating how badly that rejection ultimately hurts herself and everyone around her. I don't mind a cautionary tale, but when it has ultimately the same moral that the original series expressed so well and made so much more uplifting, I don't really get any satisfaction out of it.

But anyway, that's probably enough :words: for now.

The transformation has begun. Soon you will become Spiritus Justice

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

not everything has to have a message or moral backing

This is true

homeless snail posted:

and its not like the original series has a particularly inspiring message at the end

I will fight you

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kill yourself and all your problems will go away -kaname madoka

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Pooella Magi Badoka Magica

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

homeless snail posted:

This is technically true

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Live full of love for others, hope for better even through the darkest times, be the sort of person who could give everything for the betterment of others, even when every ounce of logic in your body tells you it's foolish and worthless. It's not, and don't ever believe that it is. - Kaname Madoka (cosigned Miki Sayaka) :colbert:

(I mean if you didn't get that out of it then you didn't get that out of it, just speaking for myself here)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

The transformation has begun. Soon you will become Spiritus Justice

He's not mining the thesaurus for reasons why homura wants to date him so I don't think we have to worry about that

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

He's not mining the thesaurus for reasons why homura wants to date him so I don't think we have to worry about that

...Bad Poster Of The Past, I assume? ...I hope?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darox posted:

I don't know what The Point Of The Show As Interpreted By Nox is, but I thought Homuras actions were entirely in character in the third movie instalment of Horuma loves Madoka.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rebellion is about how sacrificing yourself for the sake of others is all well and good but that it still hurts the people around you. homura isn't rejecting what madoka's sacrifice stood for, she's rejecting that madoka should have ever had to sacrifice herself in the first place. madoka was a wholly blameless person who had to destroy her entire existence so that other people could live, and at the end of the day the world she got from it was hollow and empty, at least for Homura. Homura would rather a flawed world with Madoka in it than a 'perfect' world without Madoka in it. It's not about 'lol love and peace is bad!,' it's about how all-consuming Homura's love is, how an ending that might be good for one person is bad for another. This is the conflict between Sayaka and Homura.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Bad Poster Of The Past, I assume? ...I hope?

https://youtu.be/IxukdpAD1Ew

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh my god i forgot this video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Rest in Peace .jpg

• Locked thread