Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lol, the windaria callback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://youtu.be/j4VGJmgeyCc

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

rebellion is about how sacrificing yourself for the sake of others is all well and good but that it still hurts the people around you. homura isn't rejecting what madoka's sacrifice stood for, she's rejecting that madoka should have ever had to sacrifice herself in the first place. madoka was a wholly blameless person who had to destroy her entire existence so that other people could live, and at the end of the day the world she got from it was hollow and empty, at least for Homura. Homura would rather a flawed world with Madoka in it than a 'perfect' world without Madoka in it. It's not about 'lol love and peace is bad!,' it's about how all-consuming Homura's love is, how an ending that might be good for one person is bad for another. This is the conflict between Sayaka and Homura.

Feels as much like a conflict between Madoka and Homura, don't you think? The movie isn't exactly subtle about how brutally hurtful Homura's actions are to her, and I got kinda love-slavey vibes off of some of the ballerina stuff in that concept trailer too. It'd be easier to talk myself into rooting for Homura's side if she were trading various lives for a genuinely happy Madoka - and indeed that's what she spent most of the show trying to do - but the movie gave me every sense that Homura's eventually going to destroy Madoka out of her own selfishness. She doesn't really care about Madoka The Person, she cares about Madoka The Object Of Her Desire. Hard to root for that, and a story that ends with that seemingly on track...Well, for what it's worth that would give the movie something to say that the show didn't, at least not to the same extent. Even if it's definitely not my preferred tone.

I did like Kyubei finally eating poo poo like he deserves.

...Huh

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 8, 2017

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
HOUSE is a hell of a movie and you should all watch it if you haven't already. Goddamn.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Just came back from watching Your Name. It was a pretty good movie; not super amazing though. Garden of Words remains my favorite of Shinkai's movies. Speaking of which, I gasped when the teacher in GoW showed up as Mitsuha's teacher! Pretty darn cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Feels as much like a conflict between Madoka and Homura, don't you think? The movie isn't exactly subtle about how brutally hurtful Homura's actions are to her, and I got kinda love-slavey vibes off of some of the ballerina stuff in that concept trailer too. It'd be easier to talk myself into rooting for Homura's side if she were trading various lives for a genuinely happy Madoka - and indeed that's what she spent most of the show trying to do - but the movie gave me every sense that Homura's eventually going to destroy Madoka out of her own selfishness. Hard to root for that, and a story that ends with that seemingly on track...Well, for what it's worth that would give the movie something to say that the show didn't, at least not to the same extent. Even if it's definitely not my preferred tone.
what we're trying to say though, is that homura doesn't need you to root for her. the things she did, she didn't do them out of the kindness of her heart or any kind of heroic ambition, it was the same selfish motivations that she had through the whole series, all she has ever wanted was to do, from episode 1, was protect madoka from herself and be able to live with her again in the same world. you can disagree with that and you can believe her relationship with madoka to be unhealthy, but those are her motivations

also realize, that the world that homura creates isn't a return to the status quo, she realized the world from her dream as a witch where madoka or any other magical girl doesn't have to die for the sake of others anymore. madoka very explicitly created a world where magical girls still sacrificed themselves, and if she had the choice to do it again she probably would, because that's what she believes

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

what we're trying to say though, is that homura doesn't need you to root for her. the things she did, she didn't do them out of the kindness of her heart or any kind of heroic ambition, it was the same selfish motivations that she had through the whole series, all she has ever wanted was to do, from episode 1, was protect madoka from herself and be able to live with her again in the same world. you can disagree with that and you can believe her relationship with madoka to be unhealthy, but those are her motivations

Sure, I'm just saying I don't find "selfish person does selfish things and hurts the people around them" to be a terribly compelling story, however believably written that person's selfishness is.

homeless snail posted:

also realize, that the world that homura creates isn't a return to the status quo, she realized the world from her dream as a witch where madoka or any other magical girl doesn't have to die for the sake of others anymore. madoka very explicitly created a world where magical girls still sacrificed themselves, and if she had the choice to do it again she probably would, because that's what she believes

Is that what happened? I assumed that it functioned like it did before just without Madoka being able to come ferry off girls' souls at the end, what with being trapped with Homura and all. Seems like a pretty raw deal for those left in limbo. Did I miss something?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I find it compelling because I am a human being and have been selfish in my life, and Homura's actions aren't completely black or white. They're born out of love and a desire for Madoka to be happy, even if she's also tied her own self-worth into Madoka's happiness.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Sure, I'm just saying I don't find "selfish person does selfish things and hurts the people around them" to be a terribly compelling story.

Okay but this is also what Madoka did.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

sayaka and nagisa were there, and were just Cool Girls instead of being bffs with god

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

the specifics of what homura did are pretty unclear, all there is to go on is what you see and what she says.

i like this thing from the artbook for the movie

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like at this point we're down to a mix of confusion over precisely how some of the magic bullshit works when and just my own preference for more aspirational stories. As I saw it, Madoka's wish hurt those around her way less than Homura's did, but if I just completely whiffed on precisely what happened in the ending, and The Law Of Cycles or some equivalent still exists in HomuraLand and dead/exhausted Magical Girls aren't actually condemned to something objectively way worse than what they had waiting for them in MadokaLand, that changes things quite a bit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

also I forgot what nagisa's wish was lol
Wish: Unconfirmed. Puella Magi Production Note suggests it was for "one single cheesecake".

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Love Is Destructive.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Spiritus Nox posted:

I feel like at this point we're down to a mix of confusion over precisely how some of the magic bullshit works when and just my own preference for more aspirational stories. As I saw it, Madoka's wish hurt those around her way less than Homura's did, but if I just completely whiffed on precisely what happened in the ending, and The Law Of Cycles or some equivalent still exists in HomuraLand and dead/exhausted Magical Girls aren't actually condemned to something objectively way worse than what they had waiting for them in MadokaLand, that changes things quite a bit.

While there's a lot left unexplained about how exactly things work now, Homura does specifically say to Sayaka in that conversation near the end that she hasn't taken away the entire Law of Cycles, just the aspect of it that contained Madoka's humanity. It's still probably a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, but it doesn't seem like she's completely wrecked the world.

homeless snail posted:

Wish: Unconfirmed. Puella Magi Production Note suggests it was for "one single cheesecake".

From the information we have, the most popular interpretation is that she wished to eat cheesecake with her dying mother one last time and then almost immediately turned into a witch after realizing she could have wished to heal her instead. Whoops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

I think some manga or something says that her mom was sick and she wished to have cheesecake with her one last time, since it was both her and her mom's favorite food, but then she realized she could have wished to cure her mom's illness and got owned

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

I mean, its not explicit, but based on what we have to go on a lot of people are better off. madoka is a girl again, sayaka and nagisa aren't freakin dead, but also kyousuke's hand isn't hosed up, and also kyouko goes to their school now and gets to hang with the girls. its pretty much the evangelion skit where it briefly becomes a romantic comedy and everyone's happy. and as said, she left some element of madoka's wish intact

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thuryl posted:

While there's a lot left unexplained about how exactly things work now, Homura does specifically say to Sayaka in that conversation near the end that she hasn't taken away the entire Law of Cycles, just the aspect of it that contained Madoka's humanity. It's still probably a bad idea for a bunch of reasons, but it doesn't seem like she's completely wrecked the world.

Mm. Missed that. Consequence of watching with a streaming chat going, I suppose. Yeah, that certainly makes the dilemma a lot more compelling if Homura isn't straight up condemning everyone else to hell/nonexistence/whatever.

...Although, yeah, it also makes everyone panicking and the movie framing everything in such apocalyptic imagery kind of strange if the end result is an unambiguous improvement for everybody. But then again then again you could say the apocalyptic imagery is still appropriate for what it means emotionally to Madoka to see Homura ignore her wishes like that...

gently caress, it's late. I'll think about this more later, I'm sure.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Apr 8, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

summoning satan into the universe is pretty apocalyptic

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i like having an ending that looks great for everyone if you just go down the list and check all the boxes but still feels rotten

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mm. Missed that. Consequence of watching with a streaming chat going, I suppose. Yeah, that certainly makes the dilemma a lot more compelling if Homura isn't straight up condemning everyone else to hell/nonexistence/whatever.

...Although, yeah, it also makes everyone panicking and the movie framing everything in such apocalyptic imagery kind of strange if the end result is an unambiguous improvement for everybody. But then again then again you could say the apocalyptic imagery is still appropriate for what it means emotionally to Madoka to see Homura ignore her wishes like that...

gently caress, it's late. I'll think about this more later, I'm sure.

Well, I wouldn't say it's an unambiguous improvement. Homura still isn't happy (because she stole her one true love's soul and she knows it even if nobody else does), and given that we've already seen the whole system nearly collapse once and there's lots of imagery in the final scenes involving missing pieces of the world, it's probably not a stable long-term solution. But there's at least a possibility that it'll lead to something better. A lot of people have said that Homura's actions in Rebellion reminded them of Madoka's mother's advice to her about boldly doing the wrong thing when you don't know what else to do; that's certainly something that came to mind for me.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Thuryl posted:

A lot of people have said that Homura's actions in Rebellion reminded them of Madoka's mother's advice to her about boldly doing the wrong thing when you don't know what else to do; that's certainly something that came to mind for me.

gently caress that's actually really good

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

I think some manga or something says that her mom was sick and she wished to have cheesecake with her one last time, since it was both her and her mom's favorite food, but then she realized she could have wished to cure her mom's illness and got owned

Yeah it's from extra supplementary material--sketches from Inu Curry that gave an impression of the witch that they later made Charlotte, the witch of Sweets. The fanon extended the backstory to their cute Charlotte girl, and since the fans are why Urobuchi wrote Nagisa in, and she's always talking about cheese, everyone just connect the dots. She has a new Mami anyway.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like Rebellion's ending better thanks to this chat.
I still want another movie though.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
And yeah Rebellion feels like an extension of all of Junko's scenes which were originally about Madoka coming into her own but can be extended to Homura as well and ever work better when you look at them in opposition. That's why Urobuchi said he considered their character arcs to be complete, imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

*extremely woke but only half-ironic voice* homura's actions are framed as a bad thing because she isn't letting her homosexual love for madoka end in tragedy like so many other stories of the type, and is in fact actively tearing down the previous ending so that her love can be expressed fully. sayaka, as the most heterosexual member of the cast, is framed in stark opposition to this, but in the ending this is shown to be her own self-defense mechanism against her own homosexual urges, expressed by kyouko becoming a full member of the group instead of an odd hanger-on.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/XavierWoodsPhD/status/850167750928543744

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

krnhotwings posted:

] Speaking of which, I gasped when the teacher in GoW showed up as Mitsuha's teacher! Pretty darn cool.

gently caress how did I not notice that

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i liked the first ep of sakura quest

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I spent the evening helping my DM constuct a giant rear end dungeon for me and my fellow players to murder our way through tomorrow, after he tweaks it to add some surprises

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

.jpg was too good for this world

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

theres no real place to post this but it upsets me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSkEG5hTcts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

theres no real place to post this but it upsets me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSkEG5hTcts

the premise of this actually seems kind of funny

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

.jpg was too good for this world

We'll always have :crossange:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its hard for me to look at johnny quest now and not see venture bros

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Bahamut coming back strong.

2017 is the year of the thirsty dragon, it seems

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

also precure and pretear

:yeah:

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/VGArtAndTidbits/status/850661296311853056

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
The new season of Favaro Leone Show sans Favaro Leone is off to a fantastic start

• Locked thread