Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

sharkytm posted:

or non-OEM plugs. If you put platinums or iridium quad-spark E2 fuel sippers in, the coils don't like it. OEM plugs aren't cheap, but they work. My old 2L Jetta needed the OE copper 3-prong NGK's to run correctly.

I'm actually not sure about the plugs :confused:

As for the coil pack, it's a duralast, which at least has a lifetime warranty, which eases the annoyance a bit. That and the swap is a two minute job.

And as for the other issue, maybe if I tear the badging off?

I don't hate the car at all, it's survived like three attempts on its life with no more than door dents and a bent axle. The opposing parties totalled themselves. I don't even know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

ArcMage posted:

As for the coil pack, it's a duralast, which at least has a lifetime warranty, which eases the annoyance a bit. That and the swap is a two minute job.

I don't hate the car at all, it's survived like three attempts on its life with no more than door dents and a bent axle. The opposing parties totalled themselves. I don't even know.

Had the same issue on a '03 passat, just ate coil packs until the day it got totaled. I kept one or two in the glove box all the time.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ArcMage posted:

It's blood appetite is whetted. Unfortunately, either you or the car needs to die.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

sharkytm posted:

or non-OEM plugs. If you put platinums or iridium quad-spark E2 fuel sippers in, the coils don't like it. OEM plugs aren't cheap, but they work. My old 2L Jetta needed the OE copper 3-prong NGK's to run correctly.

It's probably this. I don't work on a lot of cars, but every German designed and built piece of equipment I've seen and worked on has worked great, as long as all the parts are clean and nothing is out of spec.

2010(?) Beetle: had a plastic coolant manifold that cracked somehow, was replaced with a Napa part, which cracked 6 months later and was replaced with another Napa part, which cracked almost immediately.

Wacker Neusen 2500 W generators need to be disassembled almost halfway to replace the pullcord.

WN double-drum roller has a cable actuated park brake that doesn't cut out the hydraulic drive. And then it fails immediately when one operator forgets to disengage it and drives around all afternoon with it on. The rebuild kit is like $700.

Teupen makes an electric atrium lift, with literally hundreds of wires tied together on terminal strips. And two processors. It look us months of on and off troubleshooting to find 12V leaking from one exposed terminal to the next. Also it has LiFePo batteries which it slowly drains to completely empty. The solution to which is to send around a factory tech to replace the wiring harness with one that shuts off after 1 hour of inactivity and also replace all four (massive) batteries, at a cost of easily over $10 000. Did I mention this machine costs $250K for the 60 ft versions, and scaling up to 80 and 120 ft versions?

The newer Tier 4i and 4f Deutz 4 cylinder diesel engines are holding up so far, but I have a feeling we're just waiting for the hilarious design failure to become known.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

EKDS5k posted:

It's probably this. I don't work on a lot of cars, but every German designed and built piece of equipment I've seen and worked on has worked great, as long as all the parts are clean and nothing is out of spec.

2010(?) Beetle: had a plastic coolant manifold that cracked somehow, was replaced with a Napa part, which cracked 6 months later and was replaced with another Napa part, which cracked almost immediately.

Wacker Neusen 2500 W generators need to be disassembled almost halfway to replace the pullcord.

WN double-drum roller has a cable actuated park brake that doesn't cut out the hydraulic drive. And then it fails immediately when one operator forgets to disengage it and drives around all afternoon with it on. The rebuild kit is like $700.

Teupen makes an electric atrium lift, with literally hundreds of wires tied together on terminal strips. And two processors. It look us months of on and off troubleshooting to find 12V leaking from one exposed terminal to the next. Also it has LiFePo batteries which it slowly drains to completely empty. The solution to which is to send around a factory tech to replace the wiring harness with one that shuts off after 1 hour of inactivity and also replace all four (massive) batteries, at a cost of easily over $10 000. Did I mention this machine costs $250K for the 60 ft versions, and scaling up to 80 and 120 ft versions?

The newer Tier 4i and 4f Deutz 4 cylinder diesel engines are holding up so far, but I have a feeling we're just waiting for the hilarious design failure to become known.

Keep posting, these are great. Pictures to, if you can please.

Swiller of Beer
Jan 2, 2003
Cold Hearted S.O.B.
Soiled Meat

EKDS5k posted:

We have some Teupen lifts in our fleet, when they work they are a nice machine, but when they eventually break they are nightmares to fix.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

It's blood appetite is whetted. Unfortunately, either you or the car needs to die.

It's eaten like a third of my hand every piece of undercarriage or coolant work I've done on it, but I suppose it has a thirst.

quote:

This thing had a plastic coolant manifold that cracked while I was swapping a coil pack, which manifold was replaced with a couple segments of radiator hose, some clamps, and 43 seconds total of muttered imprecations.

No trouble since.

ArcMage fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 7, 2017

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

Keep posting, these are great. Pictures to, if you can please.

I don't have a lot of pictures. I'm trying to get in the habit of taking pictures of things I find but mostly I forget. That being said, Wacker Neuson makes larger tow behind generators. This is a small one (208/480V 3ph, 60/30 amps), but as far as I know they're all like this.

Those square parts? that's where you connect the cables to whatever it is you're trying to power. But I had to replace one, and I discovered that the bolts holding them down are actually part of the circuit. The wires on the backside are secured between two nuts. I mean it apparently works, we have units with over 10 000 hours on them and no sign of corrosion, but why not use copper or aluminum the whole way?

In non German related failures, this boom lift hit an overpass. Driver was hauling it and lifted the secondary boom to stow the basket, then didn't check his height before driving under a bridge at 90 km/h. Luckily no one was hurt and the bridge was not badly damaged.

Peeled open like a tin can.

The basket was forced against the truck deck.

That pin is retained in that hole by a bigass snap ring, which was apparently forced off in the collision.

Scooped up a bunch of bridge concrete.

This binder is for a 3/8" chain, but now it will fit a 3/4" chain, so technically that's an upgrade I think.

This is the part the driver had raised. When properly stowed for transport the whole black upright should be below the green ears. He was over height by like two and a half feet.

Not pictured: a 3/4" bolt that we found laying on the truck deck, assumed was part of the bridge, and all had a good laugh about. Turns out, the counterweight (grey part in the last pic, weighs like 2 tons) hangs on two pins and is secured from swinging when that bolt is installed horizontally near the bottom. The forward momentum ripped the bolt in two pieces, and somehow it didn't go flying off and get lost. Unfortunately I didn't get to hear it, but the driver said it made a hell of a noise.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

EKDS5k posted:

This binder is for a 3/8" chain, but now it will fit a 3/4" chain, so technically that's an upgrade I think.
hah. Was the driver chill? When we gave our dirtboys a hard time for horrible mistakes some of them wanted to fight.

Hey I ruined government property and added to your maintenance backlog and now you're pulling twelves for the next three days but your teasing is unprofessional and way worse. I'm telling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Around 2005, Toyota used a synthetic rubber compound over the trunk/hatch release switch that has a nasty habit of “melting”.

I saw that a replacement rubber piece was available and could be installed by removing two screws, so I bought one. This was a mistake.

It turns out that the original stuff dug itself in like it was preparing for the Great War. I am convinced that Sauron bred it in Mordor, giving it all the worst properties of tar and Silly Putty.

It sticks to the plastic switch housing, steel tools, and human flesh. What’s worse is that it sticks to all of these things better than it sticks to itself. It took forever to remove from the car and only came off me when it took the skin with it. I think I’m just going to throw away the screwdriver I used.

My advice is to buy the entire switch assembly from Toyota for $100. Even after disassembling and reassembling the trunk/hatch, it would still be worth it.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Elsa posted:

hah. Was the driver chill? When we gave our dirtboys a hard time for horrible mistakes some of them wanted to fight.

Hey I ruined government property and added to your maintenance backlog and now you're pulling twelves for the next three days but your teasing is unprofessional and way worse. I'm telling.

Oh we gave him no end of poo poo about it. He had been on the job for like two months and I think was just grateful he wasn't fired immediately. But basically he wasn't driving his normal truck (normally drove a lowbed), he was working OT on a Saturday morning, and was being rushed to hell, so they let him keep his job.

Our backlog at the time was already insane, we were all working 10+ hour days and still sinking. That unit didn't get touched for like 6 months.

As for the bridge the government put plywood over it and called it a day.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Platystemon posted:

Around 2005, Toyota used a synthetic rubber compound over the trunk/hatch release switch that has a nasty habit of “melting”.

I saw that a replacement rubber piece was available and could be installed by removing two screws, so I bought one. This was a mistake.

It turns out that the original stuff dug itself in like it was preparing for the Great War. I am convinced that Sauron bred it in Mordor, giving it all the worst properties of tar and Silly Putty.

It sticks to the plastic switch housing, steel tools, and human flesh. What’s worse is that it sticks to all of these things better than it sticks to itself. It took forever to remove from the car and only came off me when it took the skin with it. I think I’m just going to throw away the screwdriver I used.

My advice is to buy the entire switch assembly from Toyota for $100. Even after disassembling and reassembling the trunk/hatch, it would still be worth it.

Yeah, my mom has this on her Prius. It is its only weakness besides being completely boring.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

EKDS5k posted:

Oh we gave him no end of poo poo about it. He had been on the job for like two months and I think was just grateful he wasn't fired immediately. But basically he wasn't driving his normal truck (normally drove a lowbed), he was working OT on a Saturday morning, and was being rushed to hell, so they let him keep his job.

Our backlog at the time was already insane, we were all working 10+ hour days and still sinking. That unit didn't get touched for like 6 months.

As for the bridge the government put plywood over it and called it a day.

Good times

Most of mine were in Afghanistan where little problems became more serious due to parts and a general lack of facilities. A normal report would go like, hey the Volvo loader's batteries are dead. You sure? Yeah, I kept trying to turn it over but it wouldn't start.

Get on site and hey that's so odd, the fuel tank is filled up to the debris screen. How very mindful of the fuel level!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Platystemon posted:

Good news! This is also on the GH impreza hatchback. I let it fall off over time and haven't replaced it yet.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

EKDS5k posted:

That pin is retained in that hole by a bigass snap ring, which was apparently forced off in the collision.

That's a bummer. Those pins are often retained by a smaller pin, which themselves are retained by an even smaller pin (or bolt). Some serious :3: safety factor here!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Never buy a speedometer from AliExpress

https://streamable.com/hvu71

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Lime Tonics posted:

That's just hilarious

LongSack
Jan 17, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

The epitome of fail

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

:holymoley:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lime Tonics posted:

brb gonna go hit mach 5 followed swiftly by negative mach 7

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Lime Tonics posted:

this is the worst ghost rider video

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Lime Tonics posted:

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
My '94 Civic started doing that shortly before I sold it. I hope the buyer is okay....

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
How does that happen? It's a rotating magnet setting up an eddy current against a spring - unless we've discovered a new fundamental property of Chinesium?

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Reminds me of this:

Reversed Power Steering Lines
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4tyYhspPkc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rPH4vfqJYU

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008

IPCRESS posted:

How does that happen? It's a rotating magnet setting up an eddy current against a spring - unless we've discovered a new fundamental property of Chinesium?

Newer types of gauges actually use a stepper motor to drive the needle with signals from the ECU. If you have a vehicle that sweeps the needles across their entire range when you first turn the key it's most likely using this type.

Now that electronics are involved I'm sure all kinds of fascinating failures are possible :allears:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My ancient jeep has a stepper motor speedometer, I assume that they are the overwhelming majority installed in modern vehicles.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

IPCRESS posted:

When trying to drive a cluster out of a DSM with an Arduino I managed to make it do pretty similar things by just feeding it a straight square wave when it was expecting a missing tooth. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if that's what we're looking at here, an electronic speedometer that's set up for a different kind of pulse signal than the bike is providing.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

IPCRESS posted:

Crappy tolerances causing intermittent physical contact between the magnet and drag cup would probably do it.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
No idea of the backstory, bad lift kit?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

:stare:

I.. don't think a lovely lift would knock the tire off the wheel like that.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

TheRagamuffin posted:

My '94 Civic started doing that shortly before I sold it. I hope the buyer is okay....

My 92 Civic still does it.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

:stare:

I.. don't think a lovely lift would knock the tire off the wheel like that.

Wheel might not be knocked off. That's the first generation Chevy/GM trucks to have independent front suspension, so it might just be a control arm failure causing the tire to buckle under.

Which, if they had a lovely lift kit with replacement control arms, that could happen.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Wheel might not be knocked off. That's the first generation Chevy/GM trucks to have independent front suspension, so it might just be a control arm failure causing the tire to buckle under.

Which, if they had a lovely lift kit with replacement control arms, that could happen.

The tire is off the wheel. You can see the wheel still attached.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Lime Tonics posted:

No idea of the backstory, bad lift kit?

Lost control in the rain, popped a bead on the front tire either because he did it himself or he went over a curb, lost control even more, smashed the right rear against the curb, bad workmanship/rust belt structural integrity caused the whole back end to break free.

I dunno, the gutters don't look all that deep, but it's plausible.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The Chevrolet Lacetti (Suzuki Forenza in the US) I used to drive at work had a steeper motor speedo. The steps were so big you could see it going up individual increments.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

stump posted:

The Chevrolet Lacetti (Suzuki Forenza in the US) I used to drive at work had a steeper motor speedo. The steps were so big you could see it going up individual increments.

The Landie's speedo often looks like this with a new speedo cable. The old one was utterly ridiculous, especially in the period immediately before it snapped due to rust. Current speed? Forwards.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
I found some old potato phone footage I shot at work of some GM electronic gauges failing in their own special way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5Xyqrdh7dk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmQI55qZzUk

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Apr 9, 2017

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

here's my favorite version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNcpuJ5mkhQ

e: lol, looks like it's the same model of car, or at least one of the GM cross-brands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

here's my favorite version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNcpuJ5mkhQ

e: lol, looks like it's the same model of car, or at least one of the GM cross-brands.

GODDAMMIT, QUIT HITTING YOUR BROTHER. DON"T MAKE ME STOP THIS CAR!