Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Genuinely curious what the gimmick of that fight was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalenEvil
Apr 22, 2014
And I'm curious why Raimie has a router antenna behind her left ear (just noticed it during the last cutscene).

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

What the hell was happening to Boobelf's staff during that cutscene?

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
"Cyborg Elf" is just about the freshest idea in this entire game, and you could probably already find one of those in Escaflowne, or something.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Shadowrun.

The current bizarre thing I'm struggling with is that they didn't change the level up quips. They've had all these "OMG! I'm not actually useless!" cutscenes, but they still make the same "I'm just a waste of loving space" comments.

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
Extra voice lines for characters are unlocked on a per-character basis based on getting their battle trophies.

Because this game thinks variety is best off gated behind mindless tedium.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh wow. That is some thinking.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Runic Edge posted:

Extra voice lines for characters are unlocked on a per-character basis based on getting their battle trophies.

I want to believe that you're pulling my leg.

Pork Lift
Oct 9, 2007

Winner of the 2012
:dong: Highway Traffic :dong:
Prediction Razzies

Runic Edge posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pork Lift posted:

Are you loving kidding me?

Nope.

http://starocean.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_Trophies

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 84: Noxious Secretions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac_0yTGpkOE

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

So the primary villains we are fighting are likened to loving pus or snot or whatever. Great.

Truly, the stakes couldn't been greater

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Reminder that Star Ocean isn't a stranger to that scheme. SO2 gated the hardest difficulty behind having to hear a set amount of voice clips.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I actually had to laugh at the comment at 11:58, you think this game has some sensible design somewhere.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
I was watching this at work and my boss came over and wondered why anime.

Thanks.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The weird thing is I'm certain that woman's husband is one of the people in the flora and fauna place at the back of Centropolis, but you talked to everyone in there. Maybe you have to do something else before it triggers.

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.
It's actually one of two sidequests that require pickpocketing; he won't hand over the note on his own, you have to steal it from him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Man, first there was breaking into that husband's journal, and now you pickpocket a guy to appease his wife. En II brings out the worst in people.

Speaking of, we never saw Backup's wife did we? I was hoping to see their awkward reunion.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I keep forgetting that Welch is in this game

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

I keep forgetting that Welch is in this game

It's your brain trying to protect itself. Let it.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I imagine that Reimi and Wet aren't boning, they're just trying to hold unsanctioned tennis matches. Welch may help them, but they'll never be allowed into the US Open without the support of the USTA.

Although I did initially misread the subtitle when Reimi said "this is your best chance to get a leg up" near the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Why are there portraits now?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

Why are there portraits now?

They changed the UI from modern to classic, which gives everyone their drawn portraits instead of hideous 3D stills

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The Xbox 360 release of Star Ocean 4 had two different UI styles; one for the Japanese version of the game (the light blue with anime-style portraits in the latest video) and one for the version the rest of the world got (the dark blue with 3D renders). For the PS3 version they realized, hey, maybe people would like to be able to select instead of it being forced on them depending on where they live.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
If this were a crazier game, Nox Obscurus would be the dead earth from the other dimension, making everything, once again, all wets fault.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I thought I was going insane until they mentioned it being an option when those anime portraits showed up.

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Episode 85: Gratuitous(ly Drawn Out) Space Battles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STPR4cLcATs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Wow. Literally 35 minutes straight of boring cutscene. Astounding.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I'm impressed, wateyad. You remembered the Cardianon and didn't kill yourself during that video

I managed neither :ghost:

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Watching that fat idiot's steak get overcooked by the giant laser beam that killed him almost justifies this game's existence.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The discussion of space battles reminds me that in Star Ocean 5 there is an equally lengthy clash between ships, but because they had no budget for CGI there's no cutscene. Instead the whole thing is just the heroes sat on their ship's bridge, talking about what's happening outside. Very dramatically. For twenty minutes. It's great.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
This seems like a good time to point out that this game has a Metacritic score of 74 - about the same as Mass Effect: Andromeda.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Metacritic is such japes.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

BioEnchanted posted:

Wow. Literally 35 minutes straight of boring cutscene. Astounding.
Unlike its equivalent in SO5, this cutscene is skippable, and significantly less cringey poo poo-fi in writing, voice-acting and editing, it is 110% effort compared to the SO5 one :haw:

I don't remember the game being this short but I did all sidequests and explorations I could find, now that I think about it. No wonder!

Toma
Jul 18, 2011

Behold my elaborately animated eyes.
I really hoped for Crowe's suicide attack to accomplish nothing. To me that would have completed the game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Toma posted:

I really hoped for Crowe's suicide attack to accomplish nothing. To me that would have completed the game.

With the way this game was written they'd have to have renamed Crowe to Albatross to make that work in the narrative :haw:

Runic Edge
Jan 22, 2010
Oh boy, Lymle finally got her payoff.

Except it makes no sense. The game (somewhere, I refuse to remember) tells you Lymle is an expert at shielding and barrier symbology but she has the fewest defensive buffs of all the spellcasters, and learns her single spell Reflection pretty late.

Speaking of the game being terrible at things, now that we're gone from EN II I just want to point out how absolutely terrible that section of the game is as a whole, moreso than everything else. Sidequests that require pickpocketing, hidden shops, dungeons with no gimmicks that are lengthened as time padding, and cutscenes that are boring exposition dumps. And as has been noticed, EN II is the "references to Star Ocean 2" area, like how Roak is the "references to Star Ocean 1" area, except the EN II battle music is a terrible remix of Stab the Sword of Justice and they chose the least fun enemy in the game to cross over here (the Psynard).

Bonus points, the arguably most important gathering point in the game if you're doing post-game content is in the EN II dungeon. At the end. And it's hidden. This is important because you can only reset gathering points by returning to the Calnus' lobby.

Also, I think Meracle's contribution to the ship was her super pure whatever-anium crystal that powers it. And Sarah is clearly in charge of ship Oxygen and Gravity :v:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jeedy Jay posted:

This seems like a good time to point out that this game has a Metacritic score of 74 - about the same as Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Me A is good though

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Actually ME:A and this game share a ton of similar faults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I much prefer watching this to watching MEA.

• Locked thread