Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Volguus posted:

Thanks for opening my eyes (you and everyone before), as indeed you are right, i am not a founder and I did not take any risks so far. I guess I was just too greedy. I'll just look towards getting some employee-level stake in the company, even if ultimately it may be just a puff of smoke.
How is equity at this level usually handed down? Stock options with a vesting period? Without a vesting period? Other than the company shutting down, what other ways are for the employees to be left with nothing? While I do know the other co-founder (the scientist/developer guy) I never had any personal interaction with the business-suit CEO (who initially invested his own money, he's relatively rich), but money do crazy things to people. Ultimately I am wondering in how many ways can I get hosed? That is, the company getting relatively successful (maybe even bought by a big shark) and me still getting jack-poo poo in the end.

There are so many ways for the founders to get screwed over it's generally best to avoid thinking too much about it and put a multiplier on the value of your options very close to 0.

Off the top of my head, none of you get money because the company is worth less than the multiple on the investors shares. Or they issue a trillion shares leaving you with effectively nothing. Or they fire you the day before your shares vest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Volguus posted:

I'll just look towards getting some employee-level stake in the company, even if ultimately it may be just a puff of smoke.
How is equity at this level usually handed down? Stock options with a vesting period? Without a vesting period? Other than the company shutting down, what other ways are for the employees to be left with nothing?
Stock options priced at 0.01, 4 year vest with a 1 year cliff. You get nothing until your 1 year anniversary when you get 25% of the total equity, then either monthly or quarterly vests until the 4 year mark. Startups will reserve the right of First Refusal, meaning if someone wants to buy your options you have to offer them to the company at that price first. Dilution in general happens and Is Good, but do look out for "issue a trillion shares."

You could get laid off, company could get bought, it's generally not worth enumerating the failure modes. The pertinent questions are: 1) What's your runway? 2) What's your funding strategy/plan? 3) What's your preferred exit?

Runway is important, even at millions of dollars in the bank, because that's when you get laid off. Long-term funding is in the same boat, "do you have a credible plan for me to bet my life and career on," if it's the rich guy's idle hobby you might not want to sign up. Preferred exit gives you a time frame and tells you if they'll go broke to ship more units instead of taking the $6 billion earth dollars from google.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I got contacted by a Google recruiter who turned out to be looking for "Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering”. I haven't been a software engineer that works on ~global scale systems~. In fact, with my last job (and hopefully the next) I've been moving my career more towards the embedded side of things. I've never been able to bring myself to care deeply about data center networking or ensuring website availability and that sounds like that's pretty much the gist of an SRE. The job descriptions from Google's site and the recruiter are all vagaries about "you're still doing software engineering, just at a LARGE SCALE." No specifics at all and that bugs me.

Is anyone here an SRE for Google or has interviewed for same? Do I have the right read on it?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
If you work in a field you're interested in, and aren't looking for a change, why force it? Embedded isn't going anywhere, ever.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I don't want to dismiss anything out of hand based on a preconceived notion that's totally wrong

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

How serious are you about specializing in embedded systems? That's the question you really need to answer. If it's something you're just interested in, then taking a job doing something else might not be so bad. If it's something that you're obsessed with, you need to hold out for something relevant.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

csammis posted:

I got contacted by a Google recruiter who turned out to be looking for "Software Engineer, Site Reliability Engineering”. I haven't been a software engineer that works on ~global scale systems~. In fact, with my last job (and hopefully the next) I've been moving my career more towards the embedded side of things. I've never been able to bring myself to care deeply about data center networking or ensuring website availability and that sounds like that's pretty much the gist of an SRE. The job descriptions from Google's site and the recruiter are all vagaries about "you're still doing software engineering, just at a LARGE SCALE." No specifics at all and that bugs me.

Is anyone here an SRE for Google or has interviewed for same? Do I have the right read on it?

The SREs in Google Pittsburgh talked a lot about working on "everything" . That when something broke they fixed it but had it reviewed by the team that developed it. They paired programmed and seemed to potentially have their hand in anything. So if that's your type of field it would work.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
I work at a big tech company. I've been here for a little over two years and haven't gotten a meaningful raise and won't have a chance of getting promoted until January, so I want to interview at a competing company so I can get an offer and use it to justify asking for a raise. However, I don't think I'll be ready to interview for that for another three months, and I just found out a new team in a completely different area is being formed to tackle something cool, and I'd like to see what they're up to and whether I'd be interested in joining. The problem is that I don't think they will have openings for long, so I can't interview externally before switching. If I wait to interview externally until afterward, it seems like I'd risk pissing off my new manager/director with the implicit threat of leaving within just a couple months after joining their team.

Also, if it takes me six months to get ramped up and do something significant on the new team, then I wonder if that would negatively impact my chances of getting promoted. I guess that could be mitigated if I were to transfer to their team and defer any external interviewing until next year?

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

oliveoil posted:

If I wait to interview externally until afterward, it seems like I'd risk pissing off my new manager/director with the implicit threat of leaving within just a couple months after joining their team.

Gee, I'd love to hear from you what kind of threat you would consider 'explicit'.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Well, I figured I would say something like "hey, I like working here but this other company is offering me more and I'm sure how to respond. what should I do?" rather than "if you don't pay me more then I'm going to leave."

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

oliveoil posted:

"if you don't pay me more then I'm going to leave."

No matter what you say, this is what they're going to hear.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

If you aren't paid fairly have you considered actually leaving? Threatening to leave to get a raise is a bad move all around.

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

If you aren't paid fairly have you considered actually leaving? Threatening to leave to get a raise is a bad move all around.

One guy on a sibling team suggested I try to get a retention bonus, and someone I knew who used to be a manager of software engineers here actually told me a while back that this is how to say it. Basically to say I got an offer and don't know what to do. So I think "threatening to leave to get a raise" is probably not uncommon here, though doing it two months after joining a new team does seem like it would be perceived as a lovely move.

I do like the company I'm at. Maybe I'd actually leave if another place offered me both a promotion and a significant raise. I.e., moving from my junior-level position to a mid-level position with pay high enough that my current company wouldn't ever consider matching it for a junior. If compensation ended up being equal, though, I'd prefer to stay.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 8, 2017

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Parsing the phrasing for your intention takes a back seat to the fact that it's a power move. And it's understandable on both sides, because you want more leverage. Regardless of how you convey it, you're forcing a potentially hard choice on your own timing.

This isn't very implicit as it's clear as day. Especially so at a big tech company which has no doubt seen this countless times. They may even, as a policy, reject these kinds of demands because it's happened enough times, and maybe employee retention isn't good enough after the fact anyways.

Have you already had conversations with your boss or relevant superiors? Have you seen a growth in responsibilities and developed deep expertise in some area?

"I've been here for a couple of years, and want to grow my career here. However, as I've grown in responsibilities and developed deeper knowledge around X, my pay has remained flat. I want to advance in my career goals. Is there anything I can do to help make this happen?"

...or something.

EDIT: "junior-level position"
After two years, this is a sign that you either really need a title bump, or you're not as good as you think. Either way, since you say it's a large company, I think a snap judgment of "junior title. nah." isn't out of the question. Maybe try for the title bump.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

EDIT: "junior-level position"
After two years, this is a sign that you either really need a title bump, or you're not as good as you think. Either way, since you say it's a large company, I think a snap judgment of "junior title. nah." isn't out of the question. Maybe try for the title bump.

Elsewhere, they've said they have 4 years experience overall.

Regardless, given they've said they work at a "MicroLinkedFaceGooberZon" i would be really concerned about having two years experience as an entry-level engineer without having been put up for promotion. they'll need some good storytime to explain why they haven't been promoted, and their reasons should be something like having a bad manager/mentor or transferring teams to much. also, if they do want to leave and come back, they should be cognizant of the fact that most large tech companies take growth into account. someone who's entry level and straight out of college is fine, but someone who has been stuck at entry-level for 5 years probably isn't worth the hire.

additionally, what do they actually want to be? in this thread they've thought about

* becoming a sales engineer
* focusing on ML
* somehow getting a senior-level position at another major tech company (when they can't even convince their current company that they should be promoted once from entry-level?)
* taking a whole summer off to play videogames

so maybe figure that out first?

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

FamDav posted:

Elsewhere, they've said they have 4 years experience overall.

Yeah, I had about 2 years experience before getting hired as a junior here, and being specific about my life details on the internet makes my shudder, so I may have slightly more or less experience than I've said. Also, I change my mind a lot. I don't really have a clear goal except I want to make as much money as I can and I'm not sure which way to do that or what is possible, so I keep thinking of different options and then I don't know if they're feasible or not so I throw them at the Internet and see what smarter people think.

oliveoil fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 9, 2017

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The people who stay in this career long-term are the ones who have goals beyond making a lot of money. If you've been doing it for about four years, you're reaching the point where you need to start thinking about exactly what you do want.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

csammis posted:

I'm a Google SWE-SRE, but I just got back from Germany so my brain is too cooked to write a good response. As a job it's pretty far from embedded systems, but it's a legit engineering type role, not a "herp a derp, reboot the server" kind of job. It's more about being an expert in Google's massive production environment and engineering tools and processes focusing on reliability and scale (as opposed too 'neat ML tricks' or snazzy web UX frontends, etc). If you PM me or reply I can try and think of something later when I'm less dumb.

On that note, SRE teams tend to be geographically​ distributed so more opportunities for international travel in business class if that's your thing! Also executing prod changes over dodgy wifi in airport lounges :hellyeah:

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator
I need some advice folks.

So, I handed in my notice because basically I'm fed up with putting on so many miles onto my car.

My current work have for all intents and purposes matched what I would be getting working for this new place, in terms of salary, with the addition of working from home one day a week.

Now, I have been doing this for five and a half years - a 60 mile round trip every day, compared to 19 miles round trip for this new place.

What would you folks do? I work with a very good team in my office and a huge part of me really, really doesn't want to leave that. but the distance...

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Westie posted:

What would you folks do? I work with a very good team in my office and a huge part of me really, really doesn't want to leave that. but the distance...

How long does the drive take? I commute about 30 miles (per direction), but it's 95% easy highway. The average time is 35-45 minutes.

I thought I would hate it, but with a USB memory stick full of podcasts and a fuel efficient car, it's not so bad.

Anyway, did you approach your manager about working from home 1-2 days a week? They might be willing to allow you to do that vs losing a good employee. As you found out, that day or two also makes a huge difference when you have a decent commute.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Westie posted:

So, I handed in my notice because basically I'm fed up with putting on so many miles onto my car.

My current work have for all intents and purposes matched what I would be getting working for this new place, in terms of salary, with the addition of working from home one day a week.

Now, I have been doing this for five and a half years - a 60 mile round trip every day, compared to 19 miles round trip for this new place.

You already put in notice, so I'd go with the new place. Enjoy your shorter commute; I did 60 miles in LA for a while and presently live less than 2 from my current place. It'd be real hard for me to go back to a real commute for a while (ever).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Westie posted:

If you use the IRS mileage rate, then it costs you about $5000 a year to drive those additional 40 miles a day and that's ignoring the time cost. You've already given notice and that's a substantial amount of money and time that you'll be saving every year.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Westie posted:

As others have said you already put in your notice - if you were feeling fed up enough to do that, that's reason enough to stick to your guns at this point.

For my part, I walk to my job in under 10 minutes, and it's loving amazing. Not everything about the job is great, in fact I'm likely going to be in a new job by the end of the year if certain events proceed the way it looks like they will. But I can tell you right now that companies within walkable distance are going to have an enormous advantage right out of the gate.

That's me though, I get really aggravated in the heavy traffic we have where I live, and I can't imagine starting and ending each and every work day with that kind of stress. I feel like it would taint the entire job.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
I hated a long commute, never again. Stick with your decision IMO.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Commute is just part of compensation. I joked that going from Bellevue to Seattle is a 20k crossing the bridge premium for me in my calculations. Figure out how much you care and follow it. For me now I have a bad commute but a great house for the family and that worth it. Single and no family 3 mi 10 min commute was great.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Most people underestimate the quality of life effects of a long commute. It's not just time, and it's rarely worth it.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Switching from a thirty minute shuttle commute each way (meaning extra padding before and after, and very limited arrival/departures) to a <5 minute walk and I can't loving wait.

Trading adding a roommate to get that plus $12,000 more per year, which is probably pretty fair.

Westie
May 30, 2013

Baboon Simulator

B-Nasty posted:

How long does the drive take? I commute about 30 miles (per direction), but it's 95% easy highway. The average time is 35-45 minutes.

I thought I would hate it, but with a USB memory stick full of podcasts and a fuel efficient car, it's not so bad.

Anyway, did you approach your manager about working from home 1-2 days a week? They might be willing to allow you to do that vs losing a good employee. As you found out, that day or two also makes a huge difference when you have a decent commute.

It can take anywhere between 42 minutes (which is for me, absolutely perfect as it's through rural country roads) to an hour and ten minutes, depending on how quickly i can move 2 miles

mhm that's right, sometimes one one third (time wise) of a 30 mile journey is spent moving two miles

i'm literally that guy from Montreal at times

rest of the time, zero traffic! I love British infrastructure

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Westie posted:

It can take anywhere between 42 minutes (which is for me, absolutely perfect as it's through rural country roads) to an hour and ten minutes, depending on how quickly i can move 2 miles

mhm that's right, sometimes one one third (time wise) of a 30 mile journey is spent moving two miles

i'm literally that guy from Montreal at times

rest of the time, zero traffic! I love British infrastructure

That's probably standard for most large us cities. Going from office parking garage to the freeway for me is like 3 blocks and can take 20-25 minutes and routing 10 blocks to save time.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Westie posted:

Yeah, the two killers for me would be >45 minutes and/or high variability in traffic jams. Nothing ruins your day like being all ready to get in/home and seeing a sea of brake lights ahead of you.

Another tip for commuters is to find a gym real close to the office (bonus if it's free/part of the campus.) After work, you can get in a 45-60 minute workout, and when you leave the gym, the traffic should've died down. It also removes the excuses and laziness that sets in once you get home.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Don't negotiate for a raise with another offer (at least explicitly, fine to keep one in your pocket and bounce if you don't get what you want). Don't accept a counter offer either. You will regret it 9/10 times.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Don't negotiate for a raise with another offer (at least explicitly, fine to keep one in your pocket and bounce if you don't get what you want). Don't accept a counter offer either. You will regret it 9/10 times.

Is that personal experience?

I'm not sure what's wrong with taking a counter-offer. I mean, yeah your current job doesn't appreciate your true worth but neither does the new job. If the only thing at issue is that you want more compensation (more money, less commute, more vacation) and it takes slapping them with another offer to get it, are they really going to hold it against you?

Every time I've left a job it's either been an issue with upper management or the otherwise-awesome job that couldn't make payroll. Either way, I wasn't going to get a counter-offer that would change my mind. But I could see working at some decent job and just wanting them to fork over a raise.

fantastic in plastic
Jun 15, 2007

The Socialist Workers Party's newspaper proved to be a tough sell to downtown businessmen.

Mniot posted:

I'm not sure what's wrong with taking a counter-offer. I mean, yeah your current job doesn't appreciate your true worth but neither does the new job. If the only thing at issue is that you want more compensation (more money, less commute, more vacation) and it takes slapping them with another offer to get it, are they really going to hold it against you?

In my experience, yes. You might get what you want in the counteroffer, but many bosses will resent you for playing the game.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Yep, I accepted a counter offer. Which resulted in a 4 or 5 year long lawsuit. Fun times!

You don't need to be a rocket scientist or have personal experience to figure out that threatening to leave might actually make your boss like you less, at the very least, and offchance turn them into a psychopath that torches their own career to gently caress you over. Obviously that's not terribly likely, but the first one is a near definite!

Plus, if you want to leave at all, you'll still want to leave. Might take you 6 months to remember, but you will.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Comp is *never* the only issue, anyway. People get bored, just move on.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I've never understood counteroffers, it seems like a sign of a bad compensation plan. But then I've never angled for or received one.

Ask A Manager sums it up the whole thing pretty well here: http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/outside-voices-careers/2012/03/26/why-you-shouldnt-take-a-counteroffer

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Yep, I accepted a counter offer. Which resulted in a 4 or 5 year long lawsuit. Fun times!

A lawsuit? Please continue.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Disagree. The one successful counter I know of was starting new grads at 35-40k and then giving 2-3% raises for two years. "Hey, I got an offer down the block for 90k". 15 years later he's still there running the team he's on.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

and offchance turn them into a psychopath that torches their own career to gently caress you over.

I don't suppose you can share more? This sounds interesting.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Very often true, but it's important for managers to, you know, actually understand where their people are at. Comp was my only issue three years ago when I approached my boss for a counteroffer. My wife was going back to school, we were down to a single income and looking to buy a house in an extremely expensive region. His response was basically "we don't do counteroffers because they rarely work out, but dude, if you're really not making enough to get by right now, let's talk about it and figure something out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

csammis posted:

I was a SRE at Facebook (they call them Production Engineers over there).

No, you haven't worked on ~global scale systems~ but not many people have, and they recognize that. They'll train you up.

It's kinda hard to characterize what a SRE does, but basically since you're dealing with cattle and not pets, you'll be building the robots that take care of the cattle. Examples of things SREs did:
- build a system to automatically upgrade host kernels as fast as possible, but in such a way that production capacity is not affected.
- Add some monitoring and alarming to a service that uses week-on-week metric comparisons to judge health.
- Write a system that uses shadow production traffic to exercise candidate binaries and does statistical comparisons of various metrics to detect bugs and perf wins (this is an alternative to using explicit tests).
- Rework the compile/link phases to ensure "hot functions" are grouped together so they don't ever stomp on each other's I-cache lines.

At scale, aggregate statistics become more important than individual data points: e.g. not "why is traffic to this machine so slow" but "why is the 95th percentile of request latency to my 50,000 machines so high? Is this problem regional, specific to a certain type of hardware, kernel version, etc?" SREs tend to have broad knowledge about many different things, but not really that deep into any specific thing. c.f. Software Engineers who tend to have deep knowledge in a couple of areas.