Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/04/rash-of-in-the-wild-attacks-permanently-destroys-poorly-secured-iot-devices/

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are these things accessible because they use UPnP or are people port forwarding?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The IoT rules

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Thanks Ants posted:

Are these things accessible because they use UPnP or are people port forwarding?

Little of column A/little of column B.

YOSPOS secfuck thread used to be called "The S in IoT stands for Security"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

There's a lot of IoT that is just some dumb board being told what to do by AWS Lambda functions, which are great for learning but yes, the product needs to have some logic in there as well. If you have a thermostat that you can control via your phone then when you're at home the control path for that device shouldn't be to use the app to change something on a web service and then wait for the thermostat to retrieve it.

Those AWS connected devices all need to be running a Linux too. At least they offer a C version along with the JavaScript! Except everyone is using the JavaScript. That's why your pet food dispenser needs a cortex A15 more powerful than your typical desktop from 15 years ago to run.

Amazon is now pushing something called "green grass" which allows AWS lambdas to be run directly on the devices or some such. Minimum requirements? At least one Armv6 core at 1GHz, 256MB ram.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Thanks Ants posted:

Mostly the former. Good luck explaining to the masses about port forwarding.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

hobbesmaster posted:

Amazon is now pushing something called "green grass" which allows AWS lambdas to be run directly on the devices or some such. Minimum requirements? At least one Armv6 core at 1GHz, 256MB ram.

Wow, you mean now I can run software on a local device? :O

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
If this isn't the right place, sorry.

I successfully installed streisand on a VPS. I have dd-wrt on my router, so I enabled the OpenVPN client and followed the streisand server's Linux client instructions, pasting the four certificates from the unified file into the corresponding fields in dd-wrt and choosing the other options that matched. However, when I applied, I lost my internet connection. It looks like at least two other people have had the same issue: reddit.

Is this some fundamental mismatch between streisand and dd-wrt, or did I just cock up a setting somewhere?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

vOv posted:

Wow, you mean now I can run software on a local device? :O

It's called fog computing.

I'm serious

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Thanks Ants posted:

They're mostly consumer routers.

hobbesmaster posted:

Those AWS connected devices all need to be running a Linux too. At least they offer a C version along with the JavaScript! Except everyone is using the JavaScript. That's why your pet food dispenser needs a cortex A15 more powerful than your typical desktop from 15 years ago to run.

Amazon's model for Greengrass stuff is decent. You have a hub with reasonable intelligence that can sustain some functionality if the connection goes down, and acts as a central communication point for all the dumb sensors and whatnot running on the local network. The dumb stuff talks to the hub via purely local MQTT, instead of exposing a buggy http server to the world via UPNP or something. Done right, the sensors can be dumber and lower-powered, the hub is a smaller, better-hardened potential attack surface, and the whole system doesn't poo poo itself when connectivity drops for a minute. Running the same code locally and externally means that it's easy to develop as a single platform, and in a larger commercial/industrial setting, you can tune what runs best locally versus in the cloud with minimal hassle.

(meanwhile, back in reality, consumer IOT devices will continue to be put together by absolute poo poo-tier developers copy-pasting outdated versions of bad sample code, commercial systems will continue to be implemented on tight schedules that abandon security as unfinished /*FIXME!*/ tech debt that never leaves the backlog, and like many other AWS services, Greengrass is supposed to provide a convenient path to vendor lock-in - but none of that is really a surprise)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Space Gopher posted:

They're mostly consumer routers.

Amazon's model for Greengrass stuff is decent. You have a hub with reasonable intelligence that can sustain some functionality if the connection goes down, and acts as a central communication point for all the dumb sensors and whatnot running on the local network. The dumb stuff talks to the hub via purely local MQTT, instead of exposing a buggy http server to the world via UPNP or something. Done right, the sensors can be dumber and lower-powered, the hub is a smaller, better-hardened potential attack surface, and the whole system doesn't poo poo itself when connectivity drops for a minute. Running the same code locally and externally means that it's easy to develop as a single platform, and in a larger commercial/industrial setting, you can tune what runs best locally versus in the cloud with minimal hassle.

(meanwhile, back in reality, consumer IOT devices will continue to be put together by absolute poo poo-tier developers copy-pasting outdated versions of bad sample code, commercial systems will continue to be implemented on tight schedules that abandon security as unfinished /*FIXME!*/ tech debt that never leaves the backlog, and like many other AWS services, Greengrass is supposed to provide a convenient path to vendor lock-in - but none of that is really a surprise)

The problem is that it's the gateways that are misconfigured not the cortex m0 talking to it over ble/zigbee/whatever. Possibly harder is the need to get consumers to use a separate IoT gateway from whatever cheap thing they got from their ISP. The average consumer wifi router doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Some companies use Javascript to run their IoT devices? Seriously?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sure. It's designed to be embedded, it has faster VMs than for any other scripting language, and a huge number of resources for working with it. You'd rather have people writing C?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Sure. It's designed to be embedded, it has faster VMs than for any other scripting language, and a huge number of resources for working with it. You'd rather have people writing C?

Only in modern processors you'd use in phones. Node.js on a arm9 is an order of magnitude slower than anything else.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is that it's the gateways that are misconfigured not the cortex m0 talking to it over ble/zigbee/whatever. Possibly harder is the need to get consumers to use a separate IoT gateway from whatever cheap thing they got from their ISP. The average consumer wifi router doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Yes - and the selling point here is that Amazon manages the actual communication logistics, including auth and encryption. You write application code and put it on their managed platform. Amazon's not perfect, but they're way better than random poo poo-tier IOT developer #420 who's rollin' their own auth with "if (password == "s|_|pers3cret")..."

As for the hardware, it's kind of a moot point. It's not like the platform software is going to be installed and configured on old routers. It's mainly targeted at commercial operations that are OK with a small appliance to run their cloud enabled HVAC/lighting system or whatever. Any consumer bridge that does adopt it, though, isn't going to have too much trouble. It'll run on a Raspberry Pi Zero, which retails for all of :10bux:.

hobbesmaster posted:

Only in modern processors you'd use in phones. Node.js on a arm9 is an order of magnitude slower than anything else.

99.9% of the time speed won't matter. You can seamlessly call larger-scale services, so you put your dumb "is this even worth caring about?" conditionals and low-latency responses close to the device, and push anything that requires actual work out into the massive compute fabric you're connected to (all at a very low price per gigabyte-second of AWS Lambda time, of course, so cheap that you should never worry about future costs).

Node is lovely for anything complex, but it's easy to write, it's easy to make calls out to the world, and there's a robust API ecosystem for whatever integration you want to do. It's good enough for if-conditional-then-call and queuing up events to POST everything about what you do to gently caress-yo-privacy.net at one hour intervals.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Subjunctive posted:

Well, yeah. It seems just more efficient for devices that are supposed to be (or should be) low power.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So this came across my feed:

https://twitter.com/Snowden/status/850766326943690752

Haven't had a chance to look through it yet.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll be surprised if that was written by someone with English as a first language

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Da, tovarisch, I am American who wants MAGA. Pozhalucta give Ukraine to Putin.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Also topical: after hearing about the whole thing with the Feds trying to get Twitter to cough up the information for that AltCIS twitter, I have a question. Is there a way to keep your identity secret doing something like that, or is it just a matter of how badly the government wants to find you? I know they can see through TOR, I presume they can "get past" (wrong term) proxies. Using public wifi seems like it would help a bit, but on the other hand they could use that to narrow down which employees live in the area (assuming it's a real employee) and start staking those places out. I doubt they would really pay for the thousands of man-hours to fire/discredit an employee that might not even be an employee, but I'm speaking hypothetically.

I'm assuming it's a matter of the government having millions of times the resources and expertise of a normal person, but I know basically nothing about infosec.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Furism posted:

Well, yeah. It seems just more efficient for devices that are supposed to be (or should be) low power.

Nobody should ever write anything connected to the internet in C.

hobbesmaster posted:

What scripting language is faster than V8 on those platforms?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

What scripting language is faster than V8 on those platforms?

Python, perl, etc. V8 cut off armv5 support years ago and there's still a ton of arm9s being put into new products because they're still the cheapest way to get a full Linux system running on a router/etc.

Remember all numbers in JavaScript are floats and FPUs are not a given.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Subjunctive posted:

As long as you religiously query the API about data sizes and allocate appropriately before receiving anything, it's safe as houses. :v:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Remove all kernels from existence. And all underlying libraries.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ratbert90 posted:

Don't roll your own sockets

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

I assume he meant new applications which is reasonable because there's even good C++ compilers for smaller microcontrollers now.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm assuming it's a matter of the government having millions of times the resources and expertise of a normal person, but I know basically nothing about infosec.

mickens' "mossad vs not mossad" threat model comes to mind: https://www.usenix.org/system/files/1401_08-12_mickens.pdf

if a nation state really, really, really wants you, good luck. use signal, use tor, use salt circles, use prayer. in the actual case you're talking about though, it's extremely unlikely anybody in sigint would give the remotest of shits who that person is so they're going to be fine as long as it's dipshit investigators sending bad legal threats to twitter instead of a serious unmasking attempt

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That first paragraph is the weirdest Lorem Ipsum I've ever read.

Despite his seeming need to make a joke every sentence (Is he a goon?), I get what he's saying. It's a good point, there are some things that just aren't worth bothering about since there's nothing you can do about them. Protect yourself from the more likely threats. That's why I use Bittorrent Sync to sync up my Keepass across my devices, if someone is listening closely enough to know what that is at that exact moment I should stop pissing off the NSA.

Someone's going to tell me why that's a bad method, aren't they?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

hobbesmaster posted:

Remember all numbers in JavaScript are floats and FPUs are not a given.

I worked on JS engines off and on for the better part of a decade, yeah. They're specified as floats, but most engines have integer representation and optimizations, so you don't get FP instructions issued unless you use floats or exceed +/-2^30. Actually, all do, going back to the mid-90s.

Is FP performance really bogging things down?

ratbert90 posted:

Or get them out of C, but unironically yes. Even modern C++ would be much better.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

Is FP performance really bogging things down?

The minimum requirement for V8 and Node.js for the past 5 years or so is armv6 with VFPv2. The last versions that did support targets with softfp were horrendously slow; think a minute to execute the simplest commands on an arm926 at 400Mhz with 256mb of ram.

You are correct of course, there is no need for this to be the case but it is the reality of current JavaScript. They just don't care. Which is a pity because arm9s are dirt cheap, run real Linux distributions and are more than powerful enough to run your smart coffeemaker or whatever. They've been running everyone's home internet connection for what 15 years now?

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That first paragraph is the weirdest Lorem Ipsum I've ever read.

Despite his seeming need to make a joke every sentence (Is he a goon?), I get what he's saying. It's a good point, there are some things that just aren't worth bothering about since there's nothing you can do about them. Protect yourself from the more likely threats. That's why I use Bittorrent Sync to sync up my Keepass across my devices, if someone is listening closely enough to know what that is at that exact moment I should stop pissing off the NSA.

Someone's going to tell me why that's a bad method, aren't they?

i had a bit of an internal scream when i saw bittorrent, but tbh i know gently caress all about the protocol these days and from ten seconds on google "bittorent sync" is some kind of private tracker thing where everything in the swarm is under your control? i genuinely have no idea how good or bad that is but there's probably somebody here who does

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
It's fine but you may also wish to consider syncthing which is free and open source

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's a program/app that on demand synchronizes selected files between two linked devices on the same network. Not sure how related it actually is to a torrent.

I'll try that other one, if there's an Android version too.

I know it's probably more secure to not have it on my phone, but I have a password somewhere around 250-300 entropy bits, so I should have time to change all of the passwords in the manager before anyone got in.

StyleFresh
Jan 12, 2004

Has anyone taken Offensive Security's AWE course and/or the OSEE certification lab, either in-house or at Black Hat? I'm thinking about bringing them in but some feedback regarding the quality and depth would be awesome.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So someone hacked a bunch of tornado sitents...

https://patch.com/us/across-america/dallas-hacker-blamed-triggering-citys-tornado-sirens

Aside: my favorite IoT hack was awhile back when someone hikacked these FM transmitters (the ones way out in the boonies where the broadcasting towers are) and replaced the regularly scheduled programming with a very esoteric and very NC-17 rated podcast.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Link to story about the podcast hack?

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

ohgodwhat posted:

Da, tovarisch, I am American who wants MAGA. Pozhalucta give Ukraine to Putin.

Yup, looks legit.

Looks like they're mostly exploits for vulnerabilities that have already been patched, so probably targeting intermediaries that never update their poo poo (read: every one of them). Oh, and a bunch of Solaris attacks because lol Oracle.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

loving GOOD!

People have been kind of harping on me because I just hate anything related to the cloud or iot and now people are finally loving realizing that this poo poo is totally hosed up.

It is literally the reason i had my avatar changed because someone decided to give me red text saying the cloud is stupid and to be feared in jest, now see what poo poo could happen? Because a device needs to talk to things, servers or otherwise, it is still talking to the outside which means it has to listen (at some point).

People dont loving need coasters ( there was a kickstarter for one to make sure everyone drank enough water), teddy bears,toasters, fridges,tvs, or what-the-poo poo YOUR PHYSICAL DOOR LOCKS to talk to the outside.

What this attack did is now these manufacturers need to answer why the machine was compromised (which we already know why) but, most importantly, either may or not pay their customer. If the customers don't receive enough compensation i believe this is going to spread distrust from the customer base into the lovely iot industry .

Just imagine... A world where the cloud is seen as a risk (which all companies need to do even when considering something as tried and true like AWS) you need to consider instead of a magical, do nothing wrong, service

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I loving love Cloud To Butt right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

andrew smash posted:

Link to story about the podcast hack?

https://arstechnica.com/security/2016/04/nation-wide-radio-station-hack-airs-hours-of-vulgar-furry-sex-ramblings/