Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Mikkel Kessler is basically shot and hasn't fought in 4 years, really hope he's not actually coming back.

And the Super Six was great, though it probably ruined Andre Dirrell's career. He lost a decision he should have been given against Carl Froch, and then Arthur Abraham gave him a neurological problem by illegally hitting him while he was down. Dirrell ended up a huge waste of talent after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Mairis Briedis just comfortably decisioned Marco Huck in Germany, as the new generation of Cruiserweight begins to take shape. With the win, Briedis takes the vacant WBC cruiserweight title.

Oleksandr Usyk has the WBO title, taken from his win over Krzysztof Glowacki, and Murat Gassiev has the IBF title from his win over Denis Lebedev. We just have to wait for the winner of Yunier Dorticos/Beibut Shumenov to decide the WBA champion (assumably Dorticos), and we will have 4 entirely new cruiserweight champions within the last 9 months, setting up a new generation of cruiserweight and moving on from the relatively disappointing Cunningham/Huck/Lebedev/Hernandez generation.

It would fun to have a unification mini-tourney of Usyk/Gassiev/Briedis/Dorticos. Maybe something like that could happen - even as imminently as the upcoming World Boxing Super Series, if they choose cruiserweight as one of the 2 divisions for their tournaments.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Apr 2, 2017

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cunningham/Lebedev/Huck/Hernandez etc had some great fights with each other. Can't please anyone these days.

Anyway you're forgetting the Man of the divsion, The Emeritus Champion Himself, Tony Bellew.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Lebedev was robbed against Huck.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Speaking of Andre Ward, the Kovalev rematch is allegedly set for June 17th.

In other light heavyweight news Badou Jack might fight Nathan Cleverly

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

Speaking of Andre Ward, the Kovalev rematch is allegedly set for June 17th.

In other light heavyweight news Badou Jack might fight Nathan Cleverly

That's cool but I hope they don't try to put the rematch on PPV.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Oh they will, $70 is the price tag they've announced

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It'll almost certainly be PPV. Supposedly Ward wanted even more money this time around, and PPV is the only way that happens.

efb!!!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

quote:

The fight will become official when Ward gives a public go-ahead on social media

Lmao if that's why the negotiations took so long.

Edit: double lmao if like Mike Coppinger or Dougie Fischer tweeting about it first causes the fight to collapse. I have no doubt Andre is that delusion that it's a nonzero possibility.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 4, 2017

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I'll give ward credit, I never thought he would actually agree to a rematch.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

ward will, in my humble and correct opinion, win the rematch convincingly

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

mike- posted:

I'll give ward credit, I never thought he would actually agree to a rematch.

He didn't really have a choice, as there was a rematch clause. His options were vacating his belts and looking like a huge bitch, or retiring.

Anyway apparently Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Moises Flores will be on the undercard. That's already a really good card then.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

He didn't really have a choice, as there was a rematch clause. His options were vacating his belts and looking like a huge bitch, or retiring.

Anyway apparently Guillermo Rigondeaux vs Moises Flores will be on the undercard. That's already a really good card then.

Who's Moises and why is he making you excited for a Rigondeaux fight?

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

Who's Moises and why is he making you excited for a Rigondeaux fight?

He's a 25-0 interim-titlist who's 5'9, huge for a super bantamweight. He's the first really relevant fight Rigondeaux has taken since he fought Joseph Agbeko at the end of 2013. He's also a Mexican with a typical Mexican style, so he'll almost certainly be pushing the fight along.

I mean, Rigondeaux will still almost definitely win, but he struggled a bit with another huge super-bantam in Hisashi Amagasa a few fights ago, and Flores is better than Amagasa was.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Wish this fight was in Russia instead of Vegas again

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I don't really see the need for a Russia fight myself. Can't say I've ever really seen the argument that Americans rigged the fight for American hero Andre Ward, but if you were thinking that way you could just get non American judges and still have the fight in a good time zone.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Did I watch a different fight or something for Ward v Kovalev? I thought it was kind of a boring fight that Kovalev arguably, but not convincingly won. Not even a little excited for a rematch.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I thought it was pretty good, and the competitiveness of it is reason enough imo.

My favourite part was in the last two rounds when they kept hitting each other at the exact same time.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, but I'm an idiot nerd

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

david carmichael posted:

I was on the edge of my seat the entire time, but I'm an idiot nerd

Me too.

I won't even get condescending about it and be like "sorry it wasn't two dudes in a phone booth just throwing the entire time", but it was two top 5 P4P guys going at it near their primes. The stakes were insanely high, and they actually put on a pretty darn good fight (not a stinkout people expect of guys like Rigondeaux and sometimes Ward)

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah. It wasn't a barn burner but it was some really high level stuff between two very skilled guys, which I will watch every time.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
The fight actually had a narrative, and it was between two of the best guys on the planet. I was incredibly entertained and am keen for the rematch (though I think ward will win unambiguously)

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
I thought it was pretty great. The first two rounds, with Kovalev basically dominating and knocking Ward down, put some real drama into things.

I do hope Kovalev wins this time around, but I think that Ward, with 12 rounds experience behind him, will have figured Kovalev out and win a more comfortable decision this time. Plus, Kovalev has looked oddly average down the stretch of his last two fights. I think Ward has more left in the tank than Kovalev does at this point in their careers.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I think they both have the potential to make strong adjustments. Ward has the better track record and i think he'll do a better job of it, but it really depends on what each fighter takes from the last fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i just can't see how kovalev can win other than being as dominant as he was in the first four rounds, but for eight this time, oh and also switch up your tricks enough that negates ward already having seen 12 rounds of how you box him. it seems like a very tall order.

Evang
Nov 1, 2000

No Beezer, no Mellanby, but it's still Year of the Rat!
Was poking around for the first time in ages and happy to find this thread for sweet science fans. Lomachenko fights Jason Sosa this Saturday; doesn't sound like much on paper but Sosa is a decent test while VL works his way up to 135. Mikey Garcia already said he's willing to delay a move to 140 to wait for VL to come up, which would be a real cracker.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Evang posted:

Was poking around for the first time in ages and happy to find this thread for sweet science fans. Lomachenko fights Jason Sosa this Saturday; doesn't sound like much on paper but Sosa is a decent test while VL works his way up to 135. Mikey Garcia already said he's willing to delay a move to 140 to wait for VL to come up, which would be a real cracker.

I have no doubt they both genuinely really want the fight but between the politics of Mikey having to deal with Top Rank soon after a bad split and Lomachenko hanging around at 130 for 2-3 more fights after Sosa I'm not sure their paths will cross. But we can get Loma vs the Berchelt-Miura winner and/or Jezreel Corrales as well as Garcia-Linares and/or Robert Easter Jr. instead that's hell of a consolation prize.

Also, supposedly Pacquiao against Jeff Horn is actually signed. Yippee
http://www.badlefthook.com/2017/4/6/15205826/pacquiao-horn-signed-for-july-2-in-brisbane

EDIT: I'm on a small 4 kings kick atm so enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUOoSLW7TS4 - Hagler-Hearns
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_PRKU1bVNI - HBO "Legendary Nights" Leonard-Hagler
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8K_YBLcvLY - Hagler-Duran
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHXYDaAtJDE - Leonard-Hearns (fight starts at 14 minutes)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5jkFfflB9c - Hearns-Wilfred Benitez

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 7, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaUDUpME78Q

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Still cool to see/hard to fathom Usyk on HBO

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This is a weirdly sloppy fight, not many clean shots landing for anybody.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

That fight went about 45 seconds too long.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Gvozdyk looked real good

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Troy Queef posted:

This interview has gone about 2 minutes too long.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Go Sosa 🇺🇸

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Loma has such beautiful footwork. :allears:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Man lomachenko is crazy good. Sosas definitely a decent challenger though

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I have something like 40 pounds and six inches of height on Lomachenko and I would be scared to even try to fight the dude.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Loma is doing literally whatever he wants in the ring. I've said that about other fighters but I've never seen it at the level that Loma is doing here.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Eh, let's just toss a casual ten punch combination where seven of those shots land clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

This is the best lomas ever looked. He's lightning as usual, but that last round was vicious.