Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

A genre full of transformation sequences and mascot characters, with girls doing tons of cool poo poo.

Longrunning series:
Sailor Moon
One of the most popular series of all time and a lot of people watched it when they were kids, has its own thread already!

Cardcaptor Sakura
Also one that people may have seen when they were kids! The dub version was bad though.

PreCure
A yearly series done by Toei - the most current being Kirakira Precure a la Mode.

Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha/Vivid
A series that starts out very traditional monster of the week but soon develops into a more fleshed-out magical girl world.

Newer shows!
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
d e c o n s t r u c t i o n o f t h e m a g i c a l g i r l g e n r e

Flip Flappers
LET'S FLIP FLAPPING! The image at the top of this post and a pretty fun romp that travels across many different worlds and featuring really cool girls.

Senki Zessho Symphogear
Attack name title cards, singing to become a magical girl, and punching people until they're your friend

There are of course many more since this is a popular genre so feel free to discuss whichever ones you like!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
https://twitter.com/mynare/status/850853384810749953

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Symphogear, it's good

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

can we talk about wixoss in this thread

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why wouldn't we talk about the deconstruction of the madoka genre

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Hi, I'm Yes_Cantaloupe, and I love magical girl anime. My favorites are Madoka Magica, Card Captor Sakura, and maybe Flip Flappers or Heartcatch Precure.

X

Sakura is the cutest.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

can we talk about wixoss in this thread

This is secretly my way of being able to talk about cute girls so yeah sure

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anyway go princess precure is pretty good, watch it if you haven't

Aurora posted:

This is secretly my way of being able to talk about cute girls so yeah sure
also watch selector wixoss if you haven't. wasn't that hot on lostorage tho.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Hello yes I'd be down for Symphogear and or wii cross chat

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Motto posted:

Symphogear, it's good

I love the magic of punching things.

Flip Flappers and Madoka are also both wonderful.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Endorph posted:

anyway go princess precure is pretty good, watch it if you haven't

also watch selector wixoss if you haven't. wasn't that hot on lostorage tho.

I need to finish GPP!! I'm really bad at finishing series. Wixoss has been on my radar for a while

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I will someday watch Wixoss, and Go Princess is the next longer show I'm going to watch - maybe after I finish Aikatsu Stars, maybe before I resume it.

On a related note, I feel like Aikatsu is pretty much honorary magical girl, there are cute girls, they transform and have stock "attacks," and it's highly episodic monster performance-of-the-week stuff.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

graybook posted:

Hello yes I'd be down for Symphogear and or wii cross chat

we can wii cross any time pal

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

🤔

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Symphogear is real good please watch it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

whole lotta people saying they're gonna watch wixoss 'soon'

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I love Sailor Moon to the point where I've seen the whole thing twice, and it's comfort food anime to me - it's slice of life, it has interesting season-wide arcs, and it knows how silly it is, and embraces that stuff anyways. It's the queen of the genre and deserves it. :3:

And so, to my frustration, I haven't found anything else quite like it. All of the other shows in the genre feel like they hit the cliches but don't do anything quite as...mythical in scope as it does? Or if they do, they aren't to my tastes. :sigh:

That said: Princess Tutu deserves to be on the OP.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

watch symphogear, op

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i did!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXTatBS6a8

kyubeybryant
Jan 4, 2013
Someone translated the first Yuki Yuna - Washio Sumi chapter movie, it's okay, much more focused on striking visuals than an eventful story, but the new magical girl transformations are a highlight:

Zernach
Oct 23, 2012
So I just watched the first episode of Symphogear completely blind, and holy poo poo that was not what I was expecting.

RIP rest of my Sunday, this poo poo owns.

edit: JFC the engrish in this :psyduck:

Zernach fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 9, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

kyubeybryant posted:

Someone translated the first Yuki Yuna - Washio Sumi chapter movie, it's okay, much more focused on striking visuals than an eventful story, but the new magical girl transformations are a highlight:

I had no clue the BDs were being released so soon after their theatre showings. What a treat. The visuals in this are definitely gorgeous, and newcomer Gin has flaming axes and the good ol' "overcome it with GUTS" mentality. nice

https://u.nya.is/rtjdhk.webm

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Dick Tracy, fan of the classics.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

Dick Tracy, fan of the classics.

Pop Jenks ain't wrong, though.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I watched all of Symphogear a while back. I was kind of dubious about it because I tried watching Nanoha once and regretted it intensely, but Symphogear is kind of...

if Saint Seiya:Sailor Moon
then
Sunrise's Yuusha Series:Symphogear

First season was great, but had shaky production.
Second was probably best balanced. Good... everything, really.
Third had bad villains and a small child who wasn't wearing clothes very often. Even a super cool berserk mode didn't save it. Not horrible, but easily the weakest.

Hope things take a swing upwards with AXZ.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
tfw Nier Automata is over but you watch the YuYuYu movie and get to listen to more Keiichi Okabe because he's the series composer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zernach posted:

So I just watched the first episode of Symphogear completely blind, and holy poo poo that was not what I was expecting.

RIP rest of my Sunday, this poo poo owns.

edit: JFC the engrish in this :psyduck:

fine owns

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Hi, I'm Yes_Cantaloupe, and I love magical girl anime. My favorites are Madoka Magica, Card Captor Sakura, and maybe Flip Flappers or Heartcatch Precure.

X

Sakura is the cutest.

:same:

I'm now just checked out Flip Flappers since I missed that it came out. First ep is interesting. But I too love magical girl anime and my favorites are Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Heartcatch Precure, and Magical Lyrical Nanoha.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

I had no clue the BDs were being released so soon after their theatre showings. What a treat. The visuals in this are definitely gorgeous, and newcomer Gin has flaming axes and the good ol' "overcome it with GUTS" mentality. nice

https://u.nya.is/rtjdhk.webm
My kind of gal! :kimchi:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
I kind of liked Magic Knight Rayearth, although some may disqualify it due to lack of the usual Normal Life -> Magic Fights alternating pattern.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Revolver Bunker posted:

:same:

I'm now just checked out Flip Flappers since I missed that it came out. First ep is interesting. But I too love magical girl anime and my favorites are Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Heartcatch Precure, and Magical Lyrical Nanoha.

watch symphogear

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Please recommend more cool shows to me that are not the ones in the op or symphogear or wixoss or yuyuyu or symphogear thank you

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

lets hang out posted:

Please recommend more cool shows to me that are not the ones in the op or symphogear or wixoss or yuyuyu or symphogear thank you

Magical girl raising pro-*is shot*

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

lets hang out posted:

Does Utena count?

Also I legitimately enjoyed Magical Girl Raising Project, but YMMV drastically on that one.

AnoHito fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 10, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

How?

lets hang out posted:

Kaito tenshi twin angel kyun kyun tokimeki paradise

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I heard the car ad show (Pleiades) was decent

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I liked the characters and thought they interacted really well with each other. I also liked how the terrible things that happened to them were almost always to at least some degree their own stupid fault.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnoHito posted:

I liked the characters and thought they interacted really well with each other. I also liked how the terrible things that happened to them were almost always to at least some degree their own stupid fault.
for instance, it was the lesbian's fault for being gay, which is why she hung and pissed herself

Motto posted:

I heard the car ad show (Pleiades) was decent
pleiades is really really good and it's disappointing that people just call it a 'car ad show' when it's got really sweet characters and a great romance and the 'car ad' stuff is just 'the main girl is named subaru'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The broomsticks they ride around on make vroom vroom noises too.