Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I won't lie, I had no idea who the one percenters even were. Hanlon's razor it is then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Poutou is Nouveau Parti Anticapitaliste, new anticapitalist party

Artaud is Lutte Ouvričre, laborer's struggle.

As you can see they are both hilariously left and spent most of the debate decrying the sins of big capital and bosses and accusing the others of being political shills.

Lasalle is a weird peasant who just rambled on about old people in retirement homes during the debate :confused:

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

https://twitter.com/mad_molix/status/850522649881001984

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Didn't try and graph NT, XP or Vista, smh

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

System Metternich posted:

I feel that “Millennium Edition” must count as one thousand.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

System Metternich posted:

https://twitter.com/mad_molix/status/850818613267189760

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

:yeah: to the comment that says Me = a million times e, 2.718*10^6

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What constants can you use to calculate Vista though.

I guess you could make it a complex number but that won't help for putting it on a graph.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
it's a 3d graph, so just have it pointing out of the page

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Fathis Munk posted:

I guess you could make it a complex number but that won't help for putting it on a graph.

Obviously Vista is a bijective hexavigesimal number.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Fathis Munk posted:

What's the unicode for the poop emoji? Use that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

What's the unicode for the poop emoji? Use that.

U+1F4A9, or 128169 in decimal.

Read Snigfut
Feb 19, 2013

Mostly harmless.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

I still lol every time I remember that Microsoft skipped straight from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Windows 7 is secretly Windows 6.1

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

I still lol every time I remember that Microsoft skipped straight from Windows 8 to Windows 10.

It was to avoid too much poo poo breaking. There's a startling amount of code out there that specifically does not work on any OS that identifies itself as "Windows 9[*]".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Somfin posted:

It was to avoid too much poo poo breaking. There's a startling amount of code out there that specifically does not work on any OS that identifies itself as "Windows 9[*]".

Could've gone with "Windows IX" or "Windows Nine".

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

How the gently caress did that come to be?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I guess the code checks that the OS is not 95 or 98 before attempting to run.

Somfin posted:

:laffo: I didn't know that, that's hilarious.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

Could've gone with "Windows IX" or "Windows Nine".

Not without breaking sorting re: the new versions. Welcome to coding, where everything is a compromise with idiots from ten-to-thirty years ago.

As for how it happened, well, there's a few things that 95 and 98 did very, very poorly. A lot of people don't want to deal with that headache so they made their programs not run on those versions. And because coders are efficient, why make two checks when you can do it in one?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

How the gently caress did that come to be?

One thing to note is that's not Microsoft's doing really, it's the thousands of cowboy programmers out there that put in these checks into third party apps. They just had to make the choice to break these programs with Windows 9, and mean that companies using these programs would not upgrade to Window 9 or just skip straight to 10, which is version 6.4 anyway.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
They skipped it because 7 8 9 :haw:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Tumblr of scotch posted:

They skipped it because 7 8 9 :haw:
Jesus Christ.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Avoiding touching the weird version checks was just a bonus of going to 10, the official line is "you have to fix your own homegrown if the version checking goes weird you idiots" and I think there was the normal internal branding discussion where a stoned marketing team writes a powerpoint on why this happens to be the correct name because reasons.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Somfin posted:

Not without breaking sorting re: the new versions. Welcome to coding, where everything is a compromise with idiots from ten-to-thirty years ago.

Sometimes the idiot is yourself from two years ago. Past Me is a moron.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Somfin posted:

That's the common explanation I see, but I think it's more likely that focus groups just liked "Windows 10" better than "Windows 9."

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
Windows Nein.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Somfin posted:

And ten to thirty years later the new generation of coders will be cursing the choices made today. It's the circle of programming.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

All these numbers will be moot when the gritty reboot is just called WINDOWS.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Pakled posted:

That's the common explanation I see, but I think it's more likely that focus groups just liked "Windows 10" better than "Windows 9."

9 Is unlucky in Japan as well which is fair enough reason.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I thought that was 4?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Aramoro posted:

9 Is unlucky in Japan as well which is fair enough reason.

Why?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Superstition?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

zedprime posted:

Avoiding touching the weird version checks was just a bonus of going to 10, the official line is "you have to fix your own homegrown if the version checking goes weird you idiots" and I think there was the normal internal branding discussion where a stoned marketing team writes a powerpoint on why this happens to be the correct name because reasons.

Yeah, this is coming from a company that named the third XBOX “XBOX One”.

They’ll go with whatever the marketing execs want. Nothing else matters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUXnJraKM3k

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Platystemon posted:

At least it has a word for its generation. Apple dropped version identifiers for iPad after 2.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

lifg posted:

At least it has a word for its generation. Apple dropped version identifiers for iPad after 2.

The MacBook has been the MacBook for eleven years now, and that’s never been a problem.

Probably because it rarely matters which specific model someone is talking about. They all run the same software till they’re too old to receive updates at all.

There is no expectation that a gaming system will run software from previous models, or that its own software will run on future models.

What I’m saying is that the iPad is more like a general purpose computer than it is like a game console.

e: This isn’t the obsolete technology thread? :monocle:

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 21:41 on Apr 10, 2017

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
:laffo: that squiggly line.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Platystemon posted:

I heard that marketing wanted to name the original X-Box the "Microsoft Direct-x Box", but engineering pushed back hard enough to get them to accept "X-Box".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Why are people so broken brained about XBOx One not being called XBox... 720? Or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

Why are people so broken brained about XBOx One not being called XBox... 720? Or something?

Calling the third installment of something "one" is incredibly dumb regardless of what they didn't call it.

Nebrilos posted:

I heard that marketing wanted to name the original X-Box the "Microsoft Direct-x Box", but engineering pushed back hard enough to get them to accept "X-Box".

I thought that was just the dev codename - considering Direct-X is like, microsoft's graphics tech, no way marketing was trying to push naming the thing of some obscure tech only PC gamers would recognize. Then again, it's Micosoft's marketing...