Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

Bought my GTI and made the 1600 mile drive home from Minneapolis to FL. Car is bank-vault solid. Love the acceleration and decent fuel economy. I'm coming from an 05 Civic and can't believe the technology in this car. I will definitely have to RTFM on how to work the infotainment system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Radiohead71 posted:

Bought my GTI and made the 1600 mile drive home from Minneapolis to FL. Car is bank-vault solid. Love the acceleration and decent fuel economy. I'm coming from an 05 Civic and can't believe the technology in this car. I will definitely have to RTFM on how to work the infotainment system.

Just wait until it reads you a text message with bad words in it. My car reading a text about my supervisor and saying the words "loving limp dick" was the highlight of my day.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Rhyno posted:

There's a '16 FiST with 32K miles on it for $16K locally. I believe it's fully loaded too. There's a '13 with 60K on the clock for $12K as well.

They keep calling my name.

FWIW I got my '16 w/ Recaros for $19k new two weeks ago. Personally the extra few grand to get peace of mind that it wasn't ragged on for 30k miles would be worth it to me. I absolutely love the car so far.

One nice development is my wife who always got carsick on windy roads in the Scion doesn't even get an upset tummy in the Fiesta, and has actively spent time on google maps to plan out routes with curvy roads so we can take road trips on the past two weekends.

Already have plans to get a tune. Still trying to decide if going with Mountune for the retained warranty is worth the extra $500+ vs just going with Cobb and crossing my fingers.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 5, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I've read a LOT of stuff on tuning the 1.6, and by almost all accounts it is a super stout little bastard. Stock block apparently holds up to ~400whp. Weak point is the trans at that sort of big power.

I'm going to prob tune mine when I hit around 10k on it, then not long after go hybrid or mountune MRX turbo upgrade. Trying to hit a reliable 260-270 whp on pump gas, which seems obtainable with pretty minimal mods. Turbo upgrade, intercooler, tune, maybe a downpipe.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah from what I've been reading a downpipe isn't really necessary at those power levels.

I am a little surprised at how many people think they can get away without an upgraded IC though. It seems to be the most common downfall for these cars as far as stock parts go. Glad I'm not in AZ anymore but I'll still be getting a new one come summer.

Also gently caress all this rain in Seattle. Magnetic looks great clean but it gets dirty mad fast. Was impossible to find a white one spec'd the way I wanted it. I had dreams of replicating my first sporty car look (white w/ white wheels and Recaros) but it was not meant to be.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 5, 2017

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Quite A Tool posted:

Yeah from what I've been reading a downpipe isn't really necessary at those power levels.

I am a little surprised at how many people think they can get away without an upgraded IC though. It seems to be the most common downfall for these cars as far as stock parts go. Glad I'm not in AZ anymore but I'll still be getting a new one come summer.

Also gently caress all this rain in Seattle. Magnetic looks great clean but it gets dirty mad fast. Was impossible to find a white one spec'd the way I wanted it. I had dreams of replicating my first sporty car look (white w/ white wheels and Recaros) but it was not meant to be.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how is white easier to keep clean that magnetic?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
In my experience white/lighter colors just tends to look less awful when slightly dirty compared to black/darker colored cars where a couple streaks of road grime stick out like a sore thumb.

White wheels on the other hand are a colossal bitch to keep looking good but are worth every second.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

wolrah posted:

MY2016 brought Sync 3, which is definitely nicer to use than MyFordTouch but isn't really enough to be worth seeking out unless Android Auto or CarPlay are high on your priority list.

Other than that and a few changes to the color lineup they're all the same.

As far as reliability goes the stock cars seem to be relatively indestructible. Even bolt-ons seem to be pretty safe. If you go big turbo or otherwise make significantly more than stock power the transmission seems to be the "fuse" that'll go first.

I'd be comfortable with a used one with a good PPI. They're simple cars, there's not much room to hide problems.

Android auto is really good though.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Quite A Tool posted:

Its pretty impressive that for around 2-3k, you can get a hybrid turbo, AP, intercooler and tune...and put 70-80 more hp to the wheels. On a 1.6 liter car! Plus with Brexit, Pumaspeed pricing is bananas cheap to order direct.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
^^^^ APR is pushing over 500hp on stage 3 in the R. I mean it's 15k in parts, but still 500hp.

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Maybe this is a dumb question, but how is white easier to keep clean that magnetic?

Cause white is already boring even when clean, so you don't care :)

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Sorry for your terrible taste.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Quite A Tool posted:

FWIW I got my '16 w/ Recaros for $19k new two weeks ago. Personally the extra few grand to get peace of mind that it wasn't ragged on for 30k miles would be worth it to me. I absolutely love the car so far.

I really want to jump on one but I'm like, months away from being totally debt free and I don't want to finance even part of a car again.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PaintVagrant posted:

I'm going to prob tune mine when I hit around 10k on it, then not long after go hybrid or mountune MRX turbo upgrade. Trying to hit a reliable 260-270 whp on pump gas, which seems obtainable with pretty minimal mods. Turbo upgrade, intercooler, tune, maybe a downpipe.
Sounds like we're thinking pretty similarly, except the mileage part (I'm at around 33k already). I'm going to do a Mountune stage 1 in the next few weeks (I was waiting on putting my summer tires back on, which I'm probably doing tomorrow) and likely a res delete, then probably next year some sort of mild turbo upgrade.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS posted:

Android auto is really good though.
No doubt, but I have a ProClip phone mount and a license to AutoMate which is basically better Android Auto. I use Waze for GPS anyways so Android Auto would be kind of limiting for now (though apparently beta support for Waze is finally happening soon).

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

veedubfreak posted:

^^^^ APR is pushing over 500hp on stage 3 in the R. I mean it's 15k in parts, but still 500hp.

Cause white is already boring even when clean, so you don't care :)

15k in parts??? Veloster Turbo did it for 12K owner drop off on a car that is new for $19k. I don't know how usable it would be in funny wheel drive though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Sat in an RS today and poked a bunch of poo poo. The fact that it was built in Saarlouis shows. I really can't justify the $40k to myself, though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sat in an RS today and poked a bunch of poo poo. The fact that it was built in Saarlouis shows. I really can't justify the $40k to myself, though.

I bet you'll be able to get one somebody else can't afford for $32 in about 16 months.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

What do you mean? That the build quality was better than average or not?

Normal Person
Oct 14, 2011

Huge_Midget posted:

It's way above average compared to the ST/regular Focus.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I really wanted one but it was hard to justify paying 10 grand more than a fully loaded GTI cost.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 6, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

It's very much better than my Wayne built FoST and there are some funny Euro market features and controls (stop-start!), no aluminum trim on the front door pulls, etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 7, 2017

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Just put my deposit down for a set of 16x7 FiST RPF-1s.

By end of summer my car will look like something this:

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
Do I even need to bother getting an oil change this summer? I've put less than 600 miles on the car since last July. I really should get a job.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

veedubfreak posted:

Do I even need to bother getting an oil change this summer? I've put less than 600 miles on the car since last July. I really should get a job.
Usually oil changes are mandated by miles driven or time interval, check the owner's manual.

This is due to the chemical makeup of the oil and the additives, and not allowing it to sit around in your engine forever if you're not driving the car.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Oil change is cheap insurance.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

PaintVagrant posted:

I've read a LOT of stuff on tuning the 1.6, and by almost all accounts it is a super stout little bastard. Stock block apparently holds up to ~400whp. Weak point is the trans at that sort of big power.

You will be pleased with the performance you get with just a Cobb AP. For $500, it is a huge difference and I doubt you could gain as much with anything else costing that much. I haven't been on the FiST forums for a while, but a while back it seemed like people were getting impressive numbers just running an ethanol mix with a custom tune. Running a custom turbo and tune might be simpler than the extra hardware, fuel monitoring and mixing of fuels at every fill up though.

fwiw, I bought my Cobb AP at like 5,000 miles and am now over 70k miles with no problems. Not saying you should do that, but running a ots map for the long duration doesn't seem to have any negative effects, for me at least. I also drive like an old man and my tach rarely gets near the redline

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 8, 2017

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Change your oil twice a year at least jeez

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

once a year is fine if you're only putting 600 mi onb

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I do the oil on my s2000 once a year right before I put it away for winter. Doing half the mileage change interval or less a year on anything I'd probably change it once a year. Outside of that I'd go with the recommended mileage intervals provided the car was regularly getting up to full operating temp to burn off moisture in the oil.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fknlo posted:

I do the oil on my s2000 once a year right before I put it away for winter.

I'm good with once per year, but seems like it would make more sense to do it right before you start driving it? It's just sitting collecting condensation all winter.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

angryrobots posted:

I'm good with once per year, but seems like it would make more sense to do it right before you start driving it? It's just sitting collecting condensation all winter.

This is one of those things with two distinct camps that both have valid points. I went with the one where you change the oil before storing it so you don't have old contaminated oil just hanging out all winter long. I don't think it really makes any kind of difference though. It's just "easier" for me to do it then.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

fknlo posted:

This is one of those things with two distinct camps that both have valid points. I went with the one where you change the oil before storing it so you don't have old contaminated oil just hanging out all winter long. I don't think it really makes any kind of difference though. It's just "easier" for me to do it then.
I worked in a boat service shop for a while, and that was the way our mechanics viewed it. Get rid of all the contaminants in the oil before storing it, then ready to go in the spring. But honestly, I think as long as you are changing the oil, it won't hurt it too much either way.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

fknlo posted:

I mean that's cool if that's easier for whatever reason. It probably doesn't make much difference like you say, especially since engines regularly outlast vehicle bodies at this point. I just never thought of 'normal' oil contamination being harmful unless the engine is running, and didn't realize this was an argument with its own camps. :derp:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I think I'm getting too old for a FoRS.

This is only true if you're too old to be driving in general or a stiff suspension would give you back issues.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

You didn't drive it? Sitting in it, there's no way I could have justified it either. Driving it though....

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Apr 10, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I was dicking around at the dealership waiting for my ride to work so I didn't have a lot of time. I don't think that driving it would cause me to justify the $40k either when I'm trying to buy a Fulvia.

It's not the car's ride or anything, it's just a bit too... loud for my tastes. I love the blue paint but think the styling is a bit too extreme.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Funny, I feel the opposite. Other than the wing and front diffuser, I think it looks a bit... plain. The only people who notice it are the people who actually know what it is.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

KillHour posted:

Funny, I feel the opposite. Other than the wing and front diffuser, I think it looks a bit... plain. The only people who notice it are the people who actually know what it is.

And cops. Cops will notice the baby blue :rice: every time you go over 55.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

veedubfreak posted:

And cops. Cops will notice the baby blue :rice: every time you go over 55.

Got my first (and hopefully last) ticket in the Golf R this weekend. Was opening it up, seeing what it could do and zipped right past an unmarked trooper in a red camaro. Whoops.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Got my first (and hopefully last) ticket in the Golf R this weekend. Was opening it up, seeing what it could do and zipped right past an unmarked trooper in a red camaro. Whoops.

Woops. I've done that a couple times, but with the car being black I managed to escape unharmed.

My record is still being pulled over twice in the span of 11 miles. In the TDI of all things. loving troopers doing drunk checks, I wasn't even speeding.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I have a bright orange fiesta st and speed all the time and I've never been stopped in it. I used to have a silver Passat and would get stopped for speeding all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I got several tickets in my Jeep. Only had two pull overs in the MS6.