Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the advice. Too bad about coop though. :(

Digging spears so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
This not really a spoiler so:

In NG+ you can coop even stages you haven't beaten. Highly recommended, it's super fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I've gotten a little ways in and have kunai and fire weapon magic now, using a spear and dual swords. The thing throwing me off the most is how it's NOT like Dark Souls/BB: you CAN'T fight multiple dudes (well you can but you'll bounce off). Blocking is 100% reduction (this is really catching me I keep not doing it; I don't have a shield!). Dodge is on a different button. Ranged weapons are powerful but rare (seemingly). A bad combo means you die to even rando scrubs (in DS at least you just take heavy damage; here you're broken and screwed).

Just takes getting used to. Also I like my blinging gold armor. :v:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I've gotten a little ways in and have kunai and fire weapon magic now, using a spear and dual swords. The thing throwing me off the most is how it's NOT like Dark Souls/BB: you CAN'T fight multiple dudes (well you can but you'll bounce off). Blocking is 100% reduction (this is really catching me I keep not doing it; I don't have a shield!). Dodge is on a different button. Ranged weapons are powerful but rare (seemingly). A bad combo means you die to even rando scrubs (in DS at least you just take heavy damage; here you're broken and screwed).

Just takes getting used to. Also I like my blinging gold armor. :v:

Remember that you want to roll with as many different elements as possible. Stacking more than one elemental effect on an enemy triggers the devastating Confusion status effect, which drops their Ki to zero, increases the Ki damage they take, increases the damage they take from all sources, drops their stagger resistance through the floor, and reduces the damage they deal. Adding more elemental effects on top of that prolongs the Confusion effect (and gives you the benefit of those additional effects, of course). Basically, Nioh really wants you to slather the enemy in a half-dozen different debuffs, and rewards you greatly when you do.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

RBA Starblade posted:

you CAN'T fight multiple dudes (well you can but you'll bounce off).

Kusarigama mid-stance begs to differ. Hit all the things.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Living Weapon lets you rip through groups of enemies. Observe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beb57-tbYWU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that you want to roll with as many different elements as possible. Stacking more than one elemental effect on an enemy triggers the devastating Confusion status effect, which drops their Ki to zero, increases the Ki damage they take, increases the damage they take from all sources, drops their stagger resistance through the floor, and reduces the damage they deal. Adding more elemental effects on top of that prolongs the Confusion effect (and gives you the benefit of those additional effects, of course). Basically, Nioh really wants you to slather the enemy in a half-dozen different debuffs, and rewards you greatly when you do.

I didn't know that! I'll branch out when I get a chance.

quote:

Kusarigama mid-stance begs to differ. Hit all the things.

And maybe drop the twin swords for one of these. It said it was more technical so I figured that meant it was for later in the game.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

RBA Starblade posted:

And maybe drop the twin swords for one of these. It said it was more technical so I figured that meant it was for later in the game.
They're very situational with their skills and long combo attacks, but when you get a opening you can shred enemies to pieces. Or failing that, use the grapple skill to get in close after a whiffed attack and punish 'em with a combo, or switch to another weapon / stance for debuffs or just more damage.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

RBA Starblade posted:

What makes them technical is that they have really wildly different movesets in the different stances, and there's a lot of combos where you don't even want to do the full combo. For example, mid stance light attack is great for crowd control, but only if you hit the button twice - the third hit screws you if you wanted to do crowd control.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

I challenge people to post their best samurai fashion

https://mobile.twitter.com/wlthrfeng/status/851851467300491266

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
Can someone please explain how leveling up divine gear works? I'm 20 hours into way of the strong and I still don't get it. I had thought you could match things if they were the same level or higher, but I have a ton of lvl 150 divine weapons that won't match with anything except the one 150+3 sword that I managed to find. I have some +1 and +2 stuff but none of the lower items want to match with it. Same with gear, I've been able to match some armor up to +1, but my main set of Red Demon (150) won't match with anything regardless of whether it's +1 or just base. For that matter, neither will any of my other armor. Do you need to match with something higher level? Like, can base 150 only match with +1? And if that's the case, how come most of my base stuff won't match with anything? And how am I supposed to get to +10 or whatever if nothing higher than +3 drops for me? This is so confusing.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
If you have a base item that's 150 and match it with a 150 +1 the base will become 150 +1. You can only go up one level at a time however, so a 150 matched with a 150 +3 still becomes a 150 +1. Two items at the same level can be matched to result in an increase by one level, assuming that they are both at least +1. So a 150 +3 matched with another 150 +3 results in a 150 +4. This is how you can eventually get up to 150 +10 (loots drops up to like +5 or +6 at higher levels of WotS). Weapons can only be matched with weapons and armor with armor but besides that there shouldn't be any restrictions.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

The Pirate Captain posted:

Can someone please explain how leveling up divine gear works? I'm 20 hours into way of the strong and I still don't get it. I had thought you could match things if they were the same level or higher, but I have a ton of lvl 150 divine weapons that won't match with anything except the one 150+3 sword that I managed to find. I have some +1 and +2 stuff but none of the lower items want to match with it. Same with gear, I've been able to match some armor up to +1, but my main set of Red Demon (150) won't match with anything regardless of whether it's +1 or just base. For that matter, neither will any of my other armor. Do you need to match with something higher level? Like, can base 150 only match with +1? And if that's the case, how come most of my base stuff won't match with anything? And how am I supposed to get to +10 or whatever if nothing higher than +3 drops for me? This is so confusing.

Short version:

1 + 0 = +1 (Or was it 2 + 0 = 1? I forget)

1 + 1 = +2

2 + 2 = +3

3 + 3 = +4

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Pirate Captain posted:

As a rule, only Divine items with plus-numbers next to their name are worth soul-matching. Everything else should be sold, offered, or disassembled. If an item is soul-matched with another item with an equal or greater plus-number, its own rank will increase by one. So, for instance, if a +2 katana is soul-matched with a +2, it will become a +3. If it's soul-matched with a +7, it will also become a +3. Similarly, an item with no plus-number will become a +1 if soul-matched with an item with a plus-number, so if you find a piece of +0 kit with bonuses you really like, there are ways to give it the power it deserves.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

MMF Freeway posted:

Weapons can only be matched with weapons and armor with armor but besides that there shouldn't be any restrictions.

One small disappointing caveat--ranged weapons can only be matched with other ranged weapons.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I cannot for the life of me figure out the upgrading in this game but it's great anyway

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Just beat POTSt Return of the Gourd. Goddamn.

All I can say is that Sacred Brushes are literal lifesavers.

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!
I see, ok, thanks for the help everyone, I think I got it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

gently caress I've seemingly completed every mission in the Chugoku region on NG+ but my progress bar for the area is still incomplete? I didn't unlock any new Dojos either. Is it a glitch because we completed them in Torii gate coop first?

Argh

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

WaltherFeng posted:

gently caress I've seemingly completed every mission in the Chugoku region on NG+ but my progress bar for the area is still incomplete? I didn't unlock any new Dojos either. Is it a glitch because we completed them in Torii gate coop first?

Argh

Nah do some other poo poo. I didn't get the dojos in some regions so I wasn't at 100%. It seemed weird and random so just keep finishing missions (unless you've finished every mission then idk). It's definitely got something to do with finishing the Demon King Revealed though, because that's when I was allowed into a bunch of dojos.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Btw, an image from the dlc was released. It shows a new weapon and new enemy

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

JBP posted:

Nah do some other poo poo. I didn't get the dojos in some regions so I wasn't at 100%. It seemed weird and random so just keep finishing missions (unless you've finished every mission then idk). It's definitely got something to do with finishing the Demon King Revealed though, because that's when I was allowed into a bunch of dojos.

I'll try finishing the rest of NG+ then and see what happens. Cheers

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

What's the new weapon?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Snak posted:

I am pretty fuckin' pumped for this DLC.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What's the new weapon?

Odachi or whatever, greatsword

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

What's the new weapon?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
KATANA NOT LONG ENOUGH

SPEAR NOT SHARP ENOUGH

WHAT TO DO ??

I need to get off my rear end and at least finish NG before DLC starts to drop. Do we know yet if it's going to be a separate section or woven into the existing game missions?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Takes No Damage posted:

KATANA NOT LONG ENOUGH

SPEAR NOT SHARP ENOUGH

WHAT TO DO ??

I need to get off my rear end and at least finish NG before DLC starts to drop. Do we know yet if it's going to be a separate section or woven into the existing game missions?

DLC is heading north of the original game, so entirely new regions will be added. PVP is coming in with DLC 1 and I think there are going to be new guardian spirits and ninja/magic skills.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I'll try finishing the rest of NG+ then and see what happens. Cheers

There are some bonus, non-dojo missions that can only be unlocked through dojo progress, so you may need to improve your Magic, your Dexterity, and your proficiency with certain types of weapon to catch 'em all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Finally took down Yamata-no-Orochi for my last POTSt Crusher title. Jesus, that was tense.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
This game fuckin' rules. I transmorgify every helmet into the archer hat because it makes me look like a mysterious dirtbag ronin wanderer. I love the fact that I can actually do offense in this game rather than play Simon Says with the bosses.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Did they confirm if that's actually going to have a new full moveset?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lakbay posted:

Did they confirm if that's actually going to have a new full moveset?

Nope.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Hopefully it's not just a new skin or something like the Dark Souls 3 washing pole which was flat out better

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

Consider me excited.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
The only way I won't consider that just a modified 1kat is that they managed to steal and improve the longsword moveset from Monster Hunter.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Why not just give bare-handed it's own skill tree and maybe some caetus weapons.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It'd sure be nice if I'd received more than 2 elixirs in three hours. Fighting bosses with only 3 is terrible.

e: What am I not understanding about the block and dodge in this game? I'm fighting the Onyroki or whatever it's called and I've figured out that blocking's a trap against it because it eats so much stamina you get guardbroken then take more damage anyway, but rolling doesn't actually do anything either. What's the timing on it? Do I even have iframes in it?

e: How am I supposed to know he can throw his iron balls through his loving chest to hit behind and below him

e: Beat him after a dozen tries. The trick was realizing to just walk backwards instead of assuming rolling was valuable. And also whipping shurikens at range.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 14, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I've had it. I can't beat the loving Waifu boss in the Edo castle. I just can't do it. I've never felt a video game to be fundamentally unfair before but I think this is it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
You are probably dodging too soon. A big oart of this game is learning which attacks should be dodged and which should be blocked.

If you want blocking to drain less ki, wear heavier armor.

I think if you find some Kodamas you should be able to get more than 3 elixers, even as early as you are.

Edit: ^ even with Sloth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Snak posted:

You are probably dodging too soon. A big oart of this game is learning which attacks should be dodged and which should be blocked.

I mean there's no timing that can dodge half of this, it goes forever and longer than my dodge at less than half encumbrance. I ultimately gave up on it for anything but positioning.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 14, 2017