Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

during the game it's fine, but during the intro it's atrocious

What's it like having opinions this wrong

Is it itchy

I bet it itches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Don't do that. I don't care how you feel or what you say about Tumblr attention-seekers, but people having flashbacks to war and abuse isn't loving funny.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Uh what

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
cool edginess bro

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you took that as actually suggesting making rape or genocide jokes rather than just poking fun at a stupid Internet word I'm not sure what to tell you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

andrew smash posted:

If you took that as actually suggesting making rape or genocide jokes rather than just poking fun at a stupid Internet word I'm not sure what to tell you.

I didn't see you poking fun at "andrew smash" though? Instead you did something that's pretty much just done by weird nerds posting nazi memes in the space year 2017. That's a bad look.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the ingrained instinct to gently caress with people just because they're there is one of the weirder parts of SA's culture

tome chat people haven't done anything to deserve it besides being the population of a free-to-play RPG on the internet, meaning most of the stupid poo poo they say is probably because they're kids.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Trigger is not a stupid internet word, it's an important word co-opted by stupid internet people.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

fishmech posted:

I didn't see you poking fun at "andrew smash" though? Instead you did something that's pretty much just done by weird nerds posting nazi memes in the space year 2017. That's a bad look.

What was the nazi meme that he posted? I don't get it. Please tell me. I'm getting flashbacks to when I was in year four and the other kids were talking about Dallas but my parents wouldn't let me watch because it was on late and was inappropriate for kids and I was sad.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Unimpressed posted:

What was the nazi meme that he posted? I don't get it. Please tell me. I'm getting flashbacks to when I was in year four and the other kids were talking about Dallas but my parents wouldn't let me watch because it was on late and was inappropriate for kids and I was sad.
Shut the gently caress up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Unimpressed posted:

What was the nazi meme that he posted?

Thinking "trigger" is still funny instead of a dead meme.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch
Dang and I just wanted some silly names instead of getting all my names from Monty Python skits.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

PMush Perfect posted:

Trigger is not a stupid internet word, it's an important word co-opted by stupid internet people.

Unfortunately, the co-opted meaning is now the dominant meaning (hooray for language evolution, I guess), so when you talk about triggering in a general public forum, you do need to make clear that you're talking about avoiding touching on seriously traumatic events, as opposed to avoiding offending people who get offended when you hold a door open for them.

I don't think for an instant that andrew smash was recommending picking a name that touched on things like rape, genocide, or even just violence in general. More like, uh, this guy.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

it's hardly a done deal

using the word in the co-opted sense instantly indicates which side of the fence you fall on

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Amuys posted:

Dang and I just wanted some silly names instead of getting all my names from Monty Python skits.
Puns always work.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's hardly a done deal

using the word in the co-opted sense instantly indicates which side of the fence you fall on

Yeah I have a strong feeling that this is the correct outlook. I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who casually uses the word "triggered" in a jokey context who didn't also turn out to be a creep and an rear end in a top hat (or a straight up Nazi, ugh). I don't know anything about its purported original meaning, but I do know that much.

When naming ToME characters, I give them two- to three-word names after specific musical genres and specific regions. Tokyo Doomcore was the name of a pretty good Doomed I ran; Russian Electronica would be a good name for a lightning archmage. One of my best characters ever - the Cursed who ran the Charred Scar in one turn using pre-nerf speed boosts - was named Scandinavian Death Metal.

e: Of course, my best character of all time was a Cornac Necromancer named SKELETONS!!! so :v:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 9, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

most of my characters having boring "these are real names, but rare or archaic ones because i have an irrational hatred of conlangs"

so I end up with a lot of dudes named Mirio or Tycho or Boris or something

some of them are subtle jokes, though, like melee ogres named Tetsubo or brawlers named Black Betty

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Fatality Jane is the best brawler name I've ever come up with, and in any game in which just Mortal Kombat fisticuffing the poo poo out of everything is viable, I have to play a female punchologist named Fatality Jane at least once.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

PMush Perfect posted:

Don't do that. I don't care how you feel or what you say about Tumblr attention-seekers, but people having flashbacks to war and abuse isn't loving funny.

Thank you for this. Using triggered as a joke is not funny.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I have a horrible time coming up with names, but I'm really tired of some of those random names - they're not that good. May very well start naming my adventurers after random actors and actresses.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I like the genres of music thing, I like puns, you could even get really dumb and start naming them after random objects near you.

Behold the legendary adventures of Monitor Light and The Heater!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The Heater sounds like the name of a pro wrestler with an organized crime gimmick. I heartily approve.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Amuys posted:

What strategy should I go about when naming my character in ToME?

Most of them won't live long enough to deserve names. Just give them a number.

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
I dunno if this is the best place to say this but I looped Nuclear Throne for the first time after about 16 hours total/8 hours in the last 2 weeks, feeling pretty proud of myself.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Kikkoman posted:

I dunno if this is the best place to say this but I looped Nuclear Throne for the first time after about 16 hours total/8 hours in the last 2 weeks, feeling pretty proud of myself.

Looping after only 16 hours is pretty impressive. Nice work! Now get dem cheevos.

Horse Inspector
Aug 11, 2005
privacy publicly displayed

Amuys posted:

Call it Triggered.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Horse Inspector posted:

Call it Triggered.

This still isn't funny. Please knock it off.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I usually name mine by looking at my bookshelf and picking author names, which is boring but works.

Also yeah, trigger jokes aren't funny and make you look like a shithead, this is a weird thread to find this debate in.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This isn't relevant for TOME chat as I haven't started playing it again yet (i ragequit and uninstalled it sometime last year, and I actually can't remember why I did so) but for Dungeonmans and Caves of Qud I like to use Transformers. There's a billion of them, they all have fun or goofy names, and in Dungeonmans I can go to my graveyard and look at where Optimus Prime is buried.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Not being funny is the specialty of these forums but it's no crime, oughta just leave the moderating to the moderators and move on instead of prolonging this nonsense further.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Apr 10, 2017

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

My Dungeonmans naming scheme is just [descriptor]mans. Hungrymans, Violentmans, Screamingmans, etc. After a while I started to run out of ideas and get abstract with it, but that just makes for sillier names.

Kanfy posted:

Not being funny is the specialty of these forums but it's no crime, oughta just leave the moderating to the moderators and move on instead of prolonging this nonsense further.

...said Kanfy helpfully, in a post that served only to prolong this nonsense further :raise:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I appreciate your approach to this. Arguing in this way as opposed to telling people to just go gently caress themselves is one of the reasons why this thread is full of people happily talking about roguelikes.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Angry Diplomat posted:

My Dungeonmans naming scheme is just [descriptor]mans. Hungrymans, Violentmans, Screamingmans, etc. After a while I started to run out of ideas and get abstract with it, but that just makes for sillier names.

Triggeredmans

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Ah, you're using the Southern Gentlemans start, I see.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
Zavix Tower, which claims "rogue-like" elements in its endless tower, is on sale for 5 bucks today.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/427910/

We all know not to trust a dash in the middle of roguelike.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Anyone played it?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I've been playing a lot of The Curious Expedition recently, and one of the things I'm really enjoying is that the semi-inevitable death spiral is actually fun. You can watch your party slowly die/go insane/kill each other/get killed by you and then your lone explorer somehow drags golden idols through jungle for 50 days to make it back to his ship, except then you have to face the next expedition with just one terrible new companion and slowly go insane in the desert because you brought snow shoes and no water.

It's not just "oh great, I can't beat this monster or boss, drat now I'm dead", and there are an exciting variety of ways to gently caress yourself over and see how it plays out.

Are there any other roguelikes/rogue-lights/whatever you want to call them that have a similar feel, where death is drawn out but interesting even once it's inevitable?

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

PMush Perfect posted:

Anyone played it?

lol to the dumbass nerd who got mad that people said their joke was bad and bought you this redtext

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are there any other roguelikes/rogue-lights/whatever you want to call them that have a similar feel, where death is drawn out but interesting even once it's inevitable?

Ehhhhn this may or may not qualify, but Kingdom: New Lands kind of counts. I've managed to royally screw myself over with poor spending in that game, but until I inevitably get overrun, I still get days of idly wandering through the forest, chasing deer and enjoying the ambiance of the game.

...As for an actually fun deathspiral rogue-like, Tharsis! Go mad, eat your crew!

edit: Oh my god I've never had redtext before. This is great, thank you! That said - I'm sorry you were upset by how I don't find trigger jokes to be funny, though. You could've spent that money on a fun game instead! :shobon:

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mister
Dec 18, 2011

Danger - Octopus! posted:

IVAN is the best for this.