Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I don't know why I haven't gone after the second season of The Expanse. I liked the first season, but just haven't bothered with the second yet.

I've been waiting for them to finish it. I enjoyed the first season, but I have a feeling that I would have lost interest halfway through if I had watched it while it was airing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Adding another vote in for Patriot - a couple of episodes to go and it's alllllll coming together in an excellent way.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've watched the newest adaptation of Maigret from the ITV, though I wouldn't say I'd "binged" it because there's only been two (1.5 hours) episodes so far. :v:

Anyway, I enjoyed them a lot and I'm now looking forward to the two we will get this year. Who knows, maybe I'll get used to Rowan Atkinson in a dramatic part? :D

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wallet posted:

I've been waiting for them to finish it. I enjoyed the first season, but I have a feeling that I would have lost interest halfway through if I had watched it while it was airing.

Yeah, I'm saving it on my DVR and I'll burn through it some weekend in the spring/summer after all the other shows I watch weekly end. Its not a show I can follow week to week and keep my interest.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Wallet posted:

Yeah, I kinda regret getting into it now. It's very good, but also the kind of stuff that's better to watch at your own pace, without having to wait weeks (or years) for the next episode. I wish I had know about this show only after it finished

Many episodes are very slow, sometimes is like the plot barely advanced, but that ain't a problem for me on itself. But when you have to wait for a week for something, it builds your expectations and it's disappointing if the big plot don't advance and the mysteries aren't solved, even if there's a lot of good dramaturgy there

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 9, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I'm fine with a slow moving plot. But that's best to watch at your own pacing where you can take a break when you feel satisfied and keep going when you feel unresolved.

My worry with the Expanse is since there seems to be a consensus that S1's story resolves somewhere around Ep 5 of S2 that S2 might end in a similar place and resolve sometime during S3. That kind of makes me consider abandoning the show entirely and just waiting for it to finish and watch all at once so I don't have to worry about any weird pacing choices like that.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I'm about halfway through Thirteen Reasons Why, and somehow they managed to make it even more depressing than the book. Well-done.

Yeet
Nov 18, 2005

- WE.IGE -
I just binged through six episodes of Into the Badlands this show is pretty sick. That dude with the two swords goes gently caress wild and kills like 60 people in 3 episodes, its awesome.

knees of putty
Apr 2, 2009

gottle o' gear!
Thanks to recommendations in this thread I've just gone through The Expanse S1. Great stuff, though how on earth did Steven Strait persuade them he could act? He's like Roger Moore, but without the charm. Preceded this with The OA (well yeah, didn't end great but still enjoyable) and now on to the Colony. It seems derivative but Josh Holloway is pretty charismatic so I think he might be able to carry it. And Carl Weathers! Does it have legs until the end of the season?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

knees of putty posted:

Thanks to recommendations in this thread I've just gone through The Expanse S1. Great stuff, though how on earth did Steven Strait persuade them he could act? He's like Roger Moore, but without the charm. Preceded this with The OA (well yeah, didn't end great but still enjoyable) and now on to the Colony. It seems derivative but Josh Holloway is pretty charismatic so I think he might be able to carry it. And Carl Weathers! Does it have legs until the end of the season?

Yes. And no. The show is tortuously slow, and (I think) deliberately frustrating. It's loving full of shaggy dog stories. I think it'd work better if the characters it ultimately treats as important made more interesting choices and were thoroughly shaded (rather than relying on that sort of Spielberg iconic family imagery for emotional resonance). I don't think it's smart enough to be stimulating, and I don't think it's sentimental enough for it to be very emotional. (But it's also not, like, stupid and unlikable, as a show.)

What I'm trying to say is that I like it in spite of itself, and it's honestly trying to do something different. But I don't think, ultimately, it's different enough?

Cool action scenes though. Sometimes.

Yeet posted:

I just binged through six episodes of Into the Badlands this show is pretty sick. That dude with the two swords goes gently caress wild and kills like 60 people in 3 episodes, its awesome.

Love the show, particularly given what it's become. Second season has been much much better. It looks loving lovely. I love the colour coded baronies, and Eleanor Matusra's look loving rocks when she's introduced in the second season. The Widow too. (Plus, Nick Frost!!!)

Astrofig posted:

I'm about halfway through Thirteen Reasons Why, and somehow they managed to make it even more depressing than the book. Well-done.

I can't imagine binging this show. I've watched three episodes so far, all fairly spaced apart. It's good (if somehow both too mawkish and pithily ironic), but I think I'd wither away watching it all at once.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 12, 2017

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've been watching the first season of The Magicians, which I put off for quite a while based on the reception it received in this thread and the commercials they were playing before it aired (which made me think it would be cloyingly obsessed with showing off how much more adult it is than Harry Potter). It actually seems alright, so far—it's not good, but it's very watchable.

Yeet posted:

I also just happened to watch this, and I'm now disappointed that they aren't further into season 2. The first season was a little rocky in places, but I have to agree with Open Source Idiom's judgement that the second season is much better.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Finished Justified last night. That last season was a blast. Great show and well worth the investment.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I've been using cheers as a background binge kind of show. It's really funny (season one) but the stage lights must have been insane because everyone is covered in sweat all the time. I mean, not just Ted Danson.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

knees of putty posted:

Thanks to recommendations in this thread I've just gone through The Expanse S1. Great stuff, though how on earth did Steven Strait persuade them he could act? He's like Roger Moore, but without the charm.
Dude's a fashion model. He probably made his cover-boy pouty face (which luckily for him is his only expression) and showed his abs to win over the casting directors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I binged through the first two seasons of The 100 and thought they were really good. I've decided to take a break and watch something else before I go back to season three of that, though, so I'm watching the old ITC series Jason King, a spin-off from Department S, itself one of the innumerable Lew Grade adventure shows from the late 60s and early 70s.

It's more pedestrian than its parent show, but in a way it's more consistent. The problem Department S often had was that the titular Department was meant to be responsible for investigating cases too sensitive, too weird and too inexplicable for the regular authorities, but a lot of the writers weren't creative enough to come up with suitable mysteries for them to solve. I think Jason King has the advantage of being a much more straightforward adventure/mystery show and benefits from not having to reach to try and make it odd.

Peter Wyngarde is the reason to watch it, of course. Very charismatic gent.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Started watching Longmire based on this and other threads' recommendations. I really enjoyed the first two and a half seasons, but it is becoming so much of a soap opera in seasons 3 and 4. The foreshadowing of a Vic and Walt relationship is so out of place and ridiculous

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just finished Fortitude season 1. Is there a thread for this show? Everything about it was great. Even the questionable biology.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've watched the newest adaptation of Maigret from the ITV, though I wouldn't say I'd "binged" it because there's only been two (1.5 hours) episodes so far. :v:

Anyway, I enjoyed them a lot and I'm now looking forward to the two we will get this year. Who knows, maybe I'll get used to Rowan Atkinson in a dramatic part? :D

These were great. Can't wait for more, had no idea more were coming.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
I was looking for some background noise yesterday and for whatever reason settled on Dimension 404 (hulu) and actually ended up enjoying it. It's an anthology show in the vein of Black Mirror (technology bad!) but really silly and hokey. It reminded me of Amazing Stories in a way. There's only 5 or 6 episodes but I'll keep it in my watchlist when I'm in the mood for something not serious.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Just finished watching the 2nd season of Narcos. It was good but it felt kinda drawn out. Season 1 was interesting because the drug empire starting from nothing and how the behind scenes worked. Like how they hid the drugs, the drug labs they innovated etc...Season 2 was just Escobar hiding > retaliating > hiding in repeat. Thats the entire plot of season 2. I know its based on real events so they couldn't change anything but maybe they should have made season 2 8 episodes or something.

Still interested in the Cali cartel season 3 and post Escobar Columbia.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ulio posted:

Just finished watching the 2nd season of Narcos. It was good but it felt kinda drawn out. Season 1 was interesting because the drug empire starting from nothing and how the behind scenes worked. Like how they hid the drugs, the drug labs they innovated etc...Season 2 was just Escobar hiding > retaliating > hiding in repeat. Thats the entire plot of season 2. I know its based on real events so they couldn't change anything but maybe they should have made season 2 8 episodes or something.

Still interested in the Cali cartel season 3 and post Escobar Columbia.

The problem with Narcos is that season 1 covers way too much story, so it feels kinda rushed. And then season 2 covers way too little, so it kinda drags

That and Wagner Moura's accent

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

The problem with Narcos is that season 1 covers way too much story, so it feels kinda rushed. And then season 2 covers way too little, so it kinda drags

That and Wagner Moura's accent

Yes I definitely felt in season 1 too much was happening. Pablo suddenly was a kingpin in like 1-2 episodes. They could have expanded on a lot of the things in season 1 so it would leave some stuff for season 2.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Ulio posted:

Yes I definitely felt in season 1 too much was happening. Pablo suddenly was a kingpin in like 1-2 episodes. They could have expanded on a lot of the things in season 1 so it would leave some stuff for season 2.

It goes so fast and big parts of it are like a documentary, in full "tell, not show" mode.

I heard its becouse the creators werent sure that it would get a second season, so they tired to cover as much ground as they could

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just finished watching The Sopranos tonight and drat, things got chaotic in the last two episodes! I wasn't expecting the second-to-last episode to be MORE action-packed than the comparatively-calm series finale though, that's for sure.
But yeah, on one hand I liked the ending for what it was ('life goes on' etc), however eh, I dunno I would've liked some more closure. Since I mean, Phil's dead, sure, but Butch may've taken over and although he claimed to have had enough with the fighting, throughout the last season (which is the only one he's been in, unless I'm mistaken) he's always been hyper-aggressive towards the Soprano family. So I can definitely see further conflicts brewing in the future. (I kinda preferred the finale for The Wire, on how it all went full circle)

I've just gotta say though, that FBI agent (Dwight?) turned out to be an interesting character in the last couple of seasons though, after he transferred to the anti-terror unit. I didn't expect him to pull through and give Tony Phil's last known position. Bobby though, urgh I dunno, he just seems like a complete idiot. I don't think he deserved to be shot-up like that, but he was always such an idiot - like tackling and hitting Tony after he made a joke about Janice while playing Monopoly. He just can't take a joke or a hint - I felt bad about Silvio getting shot (despite him killing multiple people throughout the series, like Adrianna) but I didn't really care about Bobby. Merciless as it may be, after binging through the last couple of seasons, urgh he's such an idiot. Good-natured perhaps, but an idiot.
Also, I feel that the murder of Phillip Parisi early on was a missed opportunity - since I'm pretty sure Patsy never found out about that, right? (Patsy was also naturally furious about his death) I was expecting/hoping that would come up again, like if someone leaked or unwittingly let slip about Tony ordering the hit against Phillip for the good of the family, or something like that.

Those are all my thoughts right now, but I'll no doubt be thinking about it further over the next couple of days, so I'll post about anything else I want to ask about/comment on I suppose, in case anyone else has thoughts on the show.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Apr 25, 2017

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Major Isoor posted:

Just finished watching The Sopranos tonight and drat, things got chaotic in the last two episodes! I wasn't expecting the second-to-last episode to be MORE action-packed than the comparatively-calm series finale though, that's for sure.
But yeah, on one hand I liked the ending for what it was ('life goes on' etc), however eh, I dunno I would've liked some more closure. Since I mean, Phil's dead, sure, but Butch may've taken over and although he claimed to have had enough with the fighting, throughout the last season (which is the only one he's been in, unless I'm mistaken) he's always been hyper-aggressive towards the Soprano family. So I can definitely see further conflicts brewing in the future. (I kinda preferred the finale for The Wire, on how it all went full circle)

I've just gotta say though, that FBI agent (Dwight?) turned out to be an interesting character in the last couple of seasons though, after he transferred to the anti-terror unit. I didn't expect him to pull through and give Tony Phil's last known position. Bobby though, urgh I dunno, he just seems like a complete idiot. I don't think he deserved to be shot-up like that, but he was always such an idiot - like tackling and hitting Tony after he made a joke about Janice while playing Monopoly. He just can't take a joke or a hint - I felt bad about Silvio getting shot (despite him killing multiple people throughout the series, like Adrianna) but I didn't really care about Bobby. Merciless as it may be, after binging through the last couple of seasons, urgh he's such an idiot. Good-natured perhaps, but an idiot.
Also, I feel that the murder of Phillip Parisi early on was a missed opportunity - since I'm pretty sure Patsy never found out about that, right? (Patsy was also naturally furious about his death) I was expecting/hoping that would come up again, like if someone leaked or unwittingly let slip about Tony ordering the hit against Phillip for the good of the family, or something like that.

Those are all my thoughts right now, but I'll no doubt be thinking about it further over the next couple of days, so I'll post about anything else I want to ask about/comment on I suppose, in case anyone else has thoughts on the show.

Patsy knew. Remember that scene in S3E1, where he pisses in the pool?
I'd say it's also not so much "life goes on" as "one day the other shoe will drop"

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Patsy knew. Remember that scene in S3E1, where he pisses in the pool?
I'd say it's also not so much "life goes on" as "one day the other shoe will drop"

Oh poo poo, I remember that now! He was drunk right, and first aimed a gun at Tony (while hiding behind bushes), before deciding against shooting?
And yeah, that's a fair enough assessment. Things aren't looking great for Tony, with regards to the informant. He might have some tricks up his sleeve, but it'll eventually catch up to him one way or another.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I like the interpretation that since the show was primarily Tony's perspective and we got flashes to white when we saw his dream sequences, the sudden smash to black meant someone abruptly killed Tony and his life just ends there, so we don't get to see what happens after that because he doesn't.

edit: Ha, sorry, I figured it was common knowledge by now.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Apr 27, 2017

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ah I'm only in season 3 of the sopranos. Staying away from this thread for a bit!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I like the interpretation that since the show was primarily Tony's perspective and we got flashes to white when we saw his dream sequences, the sudden smash to black meant someone abruptly killed Tony and his life just ends there, so we don't get to see what happens after that because he doesn't.

edit: Ha, sorry, I figured it was common knowledge by now.

Wait, are you referring to the cut to black at the very end, after that slightly suspicious-looking man (to me, at least) enters the restaurant ahead of Meadow, and heads into the toilets behind Tony? I was actually thinking something would happen with him and was surprised when nothing (appeared) to occur, before it cut to black after he closed the door.
Although I read a couple of excerpts from interviews about that scene yesterday, and I don't think they mentioned anything like that/about him. Mostly just stuff like what Rev. Bleech_ was saying.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, are you referring to the cut to black at the very end, after that slightly suspicious-looking man (to me, at least) enters the restaurant ahead of Meadow, and heads into the toilets behind Tony? I was actually thinking something would happen with him and was surprised when nothing (appeared) to occur, before it cut to black after he closed the door.
Yeah. It didn't have to be him though, I think that guy was just there for the paranoia aspect because that's Tony's life. The most fun theory I've seen was that the Russian returned and killed him.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

Astrofig posted:

I got about 2 thirds of the way through the first episode before I switched it off out of annoyance. The dead girl comes off as a narcissistic bitch and the rest is boo-hoo sad teenagers stuff. I have personal history with depression and suicide and the idea that someone would have enough wherewithal and emotional intelligence needed to pull off the central plot premise while suffering a suicidal episode is absurd. So instead the dead girl just seems like a manipulative rear end in a top hat who forgot that you don't get to see your plans come to fruition if you're dead.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I got about 2 thirds of the way through the first episode before I switched it off out of annoyance. The dead girl comes off as a narcissistic bitch and the rest is boo-hoo sad teenagers stuff. I have personal history with depression and suicide and the idea that someone would have enough wherewithal and emotional intelligence needed to pull off the central plot premise while suffering a suicidal episode is absurd. So instead the dead girl just seems like a manipulative rear end in a top hat who forgot that you don't get to see your plans come to fruition if you're dead.

The target demographic for this show is teenagers. I've been past diagnosed with depression and PTSD, and can't count the number of my friends who died before I turned 21 on two hands, several of those to suicide, and I took the show for what it was. A TV show aimed at teenagers, who are all at times self centered, manipulative, and even narcissistic assholes. That's being a teenager. I do feel that the producers felt that they were trying to make some sort of a difference, but even if their point was lost, that doesn't mean the show isn't a decent watch, even if you hate the dead girl. The show seems to be about gaining empathy for (almost) every character, no matter how horrible they were to each other.

Sure, the show deals with some heavy issues, and badly in several cases, but it's just an entertainment show for consumption. Stop reading so much into it and enjoy the ride. The first episode would be the last place I would give up on a show like this. Yeah, Hannah Baker seems to be a self centered jerk during the first episode (and some would argue she still was by the end of it). That's no reason to poo poo on it without even finishing the first episode. She's not even the person we should be caring about, in my opinion.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Can someone explain the use of animation in get down part 2? It wasn't bad at first but eventually they just started using it more and more. It stands out especially since it wasn't in the first part of the show at all.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Kingtheninja posted:

Can someone explain the use of animation in get down part 2? It wasn't bad at first but eventually they just started using it more and more. It stands out especially since it wasn't in the first part of the show at all.

this kind of put me off too. I still really liked the show but it definitely weakened it imo

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

It just reeks of budget cuts or something. But I did finish part two today and the ending was great.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Thanks thread for introducing me to Patriot. It was fantastic. My wife and I watched Wynonna Earp over the weekend. It's just straight up terrible. I kept watching hoping it would turn a corner into something fun but I can't recommend it at all.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I binged through the first two seasons of The 100 and thought they were really good. I've decided to take a break and watch something else before I go back to season three of that, though, so I'm watching the old ITC series Jason King, a spin-off from Department S, itself one of the innumerable Lew Grade adventure shows from the late 60s and early 70s.

It's more pedestrian than its parent show, but in a way it's more consistent. The problem Department S often had was that the titular Department was meant to be responsible for investigating cases too sensitive, too weird and too inexplicable for the regular authorities, but a lot of the writers weren't creative enough to come up with suitable mysteries for them to solve. I think Jason King has the advantage of being a much more straightforward adventure/mystery show and benefits from not having to reach to try and make it odd.

Peter Wyngarde is the reason to watch it, of course. Very charismatic gent.
Yeah, Wyngarde is great, but he's really all the show's got going for it. It's far inferior to Department S, and not just because the stories are more mundane. It's on 16mm film rather than 35mm so looks cheap even by ITC standards, and the amount of Seventies casual, unthinking sexism (and often racism) is off the scale. Jason's dress sense has to be seen to believed as well - you couldn't caricature it, because no outfit you could come up with today would be more grotesque than what he actually wore.

The writers really struggled to get Jason involved in the plots, since he's no longer working in law enforcement. His being blackmailed, kidnapped, impersonated or mistaken for someone else starts off at least half the episodes.

Fun fact: the series only existed because Lew Grade's wife fancied Peter Wyngarde, and after Department S ended she pestered him into giving him a second series. (Grade reportedly didn't like Wyngarde at all!)

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 3, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

pigdog posted:

I miss Robert Sheehan. Has he done anything of note since leaving Misfits?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSLMZEkF5W8

Going back a ways, but Robert Sheehan left Misfits to front the Irish gangland drama Love/Hate, along with Aiden Gillan (Littlefinger from GOT, thankfully using his actual accent) and Ruth Negga (<3 Tulip from Preacher).

It does a lot on a small budget, and is one of the only great things RTE have ever been involved with.

Norse Code
Mar 10, 2007

DON'T AWOO - $350 PENALTY

Spuckuk posted:

Going back a ways, but Robert Sheehan left Misfits to front the Irish gangland drama Love/Hate, along with Aiden Gillan (Littlefinger from GOT, thankfully using his actual accent) and Ruth Negga (<3 Tulip from Preacher).

It does a lot on a small budget, and is one of the only great things RTE have ever been involved with.

He was also in that Season of the Witch movie w/ Nicolas Cage and then he starred in an indie drama called "The Road Within" w/ Zoe Kravitz where he plays Tourettes.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DOA posted:

Just watched gomorra season 1 and 2, great series about the mafia in italy. Feels more real and brutal than the american mafia shows, its one of the best series i have ever seen..

It needs repeating every few months, but Gomorra is incredible, and retroactively makes The Sopranos look bad because of how much better it handles its subject matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Payndz posted:

Yeah, Wyngarde is great, but he's really all the show's got going for it. It's far inferior to Department S, and not just because the stories are more mundane. It's on 16mm film rather than 35mm so looks cheap even by ITC standards, and the amount of Seventies casual, unthinking sexism (and often racism) is off the scale. Jason's dress sense has to be seen to believed as well - you couldn't caricature it, because no outfit you could come up with today would be more grotesque than what he actually wore.

It struggles for not having a recurring supporting cast other than his editor and Ryland, neither of whom are in it very much; Jason is fine as a lead character but he needs other people to bounce off who aren't just his girlfriends-of-the-week.

quote:

The writers really struggled to get Jason involved in the plots, since he's no longer working in law enforcement. His being blackmailed, kidnapped, impersonated or mistaken for someone else starts off at least half the episodes.

That's definitely true: there's a couple that stuck out to me which I thought would have been very good episodes if they hadn't had to contrive a reason for Jason to be involved.