Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The other one is The Giant Claw, right?

I really like that some of the forms it takes are from movies that are stupid through adult eyes but could freak out a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

I remember it being I Was a Teenage Werewolf.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah I misremembered the giant bird as being from The Giant Claw but I just got to that part in my reread of the book and it's actually supposed to be Rodan.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah I misremembered the giant bird as being from The Giant Claw but I just got to that part in my reread of the book and it's actually supposed to be Rodan.

To be fair, The Giant Claw is also supposed to be Rodan.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Yeah it even has a less than subtle parallel between It and Rodan.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The other one is The Giant Claw, right?

I really like that some of the forms it takes are from movies that are stupid through adult eyes but could freak out a child.
One of the cool things mentioned in the book repeatedly is that It never looks like the movie monsters exactly. It looks like the more vivid and realistic version of the monster created in the child's imagination.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Timeless Appeal posted:

Yeah it even has a less than subtle parallel between It and Rodan.
One of the cool things mentioned in the book repeatedly is that It never looks like the movie monsters exactly. It looks like the more vivid and realistic version of the monster created in the child's imagination.

Also with elements of the clown costume. The giant bird had red puff-balls on its its tongue I think, like the buttons on a clown suit.

I think the werewolf had the puffy clown suit buttons on its Derry High jacket.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I love that two of It's incarnations were on MST3k.

He also turns into a VHS copy of Manos: Hands of Fate.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

IT turns into Torgo and limps around looking confused for a while making the kids feel a bit sad.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Peenywise you can do stupid things!

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Timeless Appeal posted:

IT appears as a video game creepypasta with hyper-realistic Sonic blood.

Also there's been on set pictures of the giant lumberjack statue so I imagine that's going to come alive at some point as well.

I get what people are saying about Pennywise looking too much like a creepy clown, but I'm sure most of the times in the book IT looked off or horrific in some weird ways. Like in the Library he just has bloody pits for eyes. Or maybe that's just when the characters are adults? I can't remember that well, ironically enough.

Trailer was cut like a standard horror fare with jump cuts and scares, but it still looks pretty great. Looking forward to it.(IT)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The bit where Mike sees the giant bird didn't really do anything for me, but when it echoes what comes later in the book, what his dad saw at the Black Spot... Chilling.

Wasn't the bird suspended by balloons too?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

It wasn't a hoax, she was actually murdered, but it didn't happen the way the media portrayed it. There's an interesting documentary, currently still on Netflix, called "The Witness" where her brother goes back and pieces together what happened. One of the more interesting tidbits is that the photograph everyone has seen of her is her mugshot

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Iron Crowned posted:

It wasn't a hoax, she was actually murdered, but it didn't happen the way the media portrayed it. There's an interesting documentary, currently still on Netflix, called "The Witness" where her brother goes back and pieces together what happened. One of the more interesting tidbits is that the photograph everyone has seen of her is her mugshot

that's cool, hoax was definitely the wrong word

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The bit where Mike sees the giant bird didn't really do anything for me, but when it echoes what comes later in the book, what his dad saw at the Black Spot... Chilling.

Wasn't the bird suspended by balloons too?

Not when Mike saw it, or at least I don't think he noticed or that it was mentioned. But his father tells him that the bird was held up by balloons. It stopped in midair not hovering, but floating.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

LadyPictureShow posted:

The trailer also has a quick shot of what looks like blood spewing out of Bev's sink.

Got around to giving IT a re-watch, and I feel like what I watched was edited way down. Scenes like IT digging the graves, Bill seeing Stan's head in the fridge, Richie's vision of IT in the library were all gone. Anybody know what's up with that? Did they make an edited version to fit the runtime of a regular movie or something for re-airing it?

They must have because the version I watched a couple weeks ago had all that in it

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
The 90s miniseries has a weird tempo. Especially in the first half, it feels like they're rushing to cram as much exposition in as few lines as they can, and yet they found time to put in at least three lengthy musical montages. I read that the original idea was to make it twice as long, but the studio understandingly got cold feet.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I really want to re-watch the old TV film, but I get the feeling like maybe it wont hold up at all. I can only remember a few scant scenes like Belch(?) being pulled through a drain bent in half and that really freaked me out when i saw it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Drunken Baker posted:

I really want to re-watch the old TV film, but I get the feeling like maybe it wont hold up at all. I can only remember a few scant scenes like Belch(?) being pulled through a drain bent in half and that really freaked me out when i saw it.

It's definitely showing its age but there's a definite feeling of nostalgia, especially for the first half. Not so much the second, and the finale was never good really.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I'll lash it on tonight. How could I ever say no to Tim Curry.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Everyone should also rewatch Legend if they're in the mood for some Tim Curry.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

davidspackage posted:

The 90s miniseries has a weird tempo. Especially in the first half, it feels like they're rushing to cram as much exposition in as few lines as they can, and yet they found time to put in at least three lengthy musical montages. I read that the original idea was to make it twice as long, but the studio understandingly got cold feet.

I just rewatched it and the musical montages are actually some of the best stuff, they did a better job than I remembered at nailing the vibe of the cast being old friends.

Drunken Baker posted:

It's definitely a little hokey, but it was better than I remembered. But yeah, the ending still sucks.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The ending of the miniseries also really falters because their stand against Pennywise in 1958 is just so much better. And you can't really do the same thing.

One thing I did notice though is that 2017 Pennywise's head is sort of shaped like the head and body of a spider. I wonder if they have any notion of making It's final form into a spider version of Pennywise. Honestly though, I think the smarter move would have the cast go into the Deadlights and make it a more abstract and psychological finale.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LadyPictureShow posted:

The trailer also has a quick shot of what looks like blood spewing out of Bev's sink.

Got around to giving IT a re-watch, and I feel like what I watched was edited way down. Scenes like IT digging the graves, Bill seeing Stan's head in the fridge, Richie's vision of IT in the library were all gone. Anybody know what's up with that? Did they make an edited version to fit the runtime of a regular movie or something for re-airing it?

I've never seen the part with It digging the graves, but o do vaguely remember Stan's head (talking?) I think there are edited versions.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

The ending of the miniseries also really falters because their stand against Pennywise in 1958 is just so much better. And you can't really do the same thing.

That's gonna be one of the challenges for the kid/adult movie split if the adult movie gets made. The two movies have nearly an identical climax, but with the adult one having more weird abstract placeless hallucinations of turtles. The battle in the sewer as kids could be great but they'll need to mix it up for the adult portion in some way to not basically have the same ending twice.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Rolo posted:

I've never seen the part with It digging the graves, but o do vaguely remember Stan's head (talking?) I think there are edited versions.

Well, that's weird that there seems to be more than one edit. Maybe digging graves and a talking head hallucination for a ten pm airing on TBS, but not the noon on a Sunday slot.

At least they didn't cut the most pivotal scene of Bill and Mike dicking around on a playground after fixing the old bike.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The miniseries hasn't aged well and I never cared for it all that much to start with.

The thing that gets me is how much talent there was onscreen that got wasted. Curry was great and was surrounded by a lot of really good to decent actors but by the time it got to the adults for some reason it got really cheesy and hokey. I'm not sure if it was the script or not but it felt more like they didn't do enough takes or rehearsals or something because I've seen John Ritter and Harry Anderson, etc. in other stuff and they're pretty good usually.

Probably came down to budgeting. I felt the part dealing with the kids was better in every way and it seemed like the second half was rushed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

BiggerBoat posted:

it felt more like they didn't do enough takes or rehearsals

Probably came down to budgeting. I felt the part dealing with the kids was better in every way and it seemed like the second half was rushed.

This is a perfect description. There's so many deliveries (especially towards the very end) of the adult part that are like, that's what you went with? A shame.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Maybe some bad art direction too...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Maybe some bad art direction too...

To be fair, I'm nervous about how the current incarnation will do the ending. As it's written in the book, it's unfilmable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

To be fair, I'm nervous about how the current incarnation will do the ending. As it's written in the book, it's unfilmable.

Same. I honestly can't think of an ending that might be satisfying and not ridiculous and the ending of the book itself is already its weakest element. Gangbangs and space turtles aren't gonna work. I like the idea someone had in this thread where you wind up with some sort of clown spider and I can picture that - where Pennywise just keeps evolving into increasingly more monstrous forms culminating in this giant spider with a few weird, subtle clown elements.

If I remember correctly, the basic point of the ending was the adults overcoming their childhood fears so if you play up the faith element of that aspect I can see it working.

Visually, I keep picturing the ending to Altered States for some reason and think that approach might work out. Or something like the end of Terminator 2 where when the liquid terminator dies and he keeps morphing into all these weird shapes and personas of the people he's mimicked and "IT" just keeps doing crazy poo poo like that in the final battle; growing prior victims as legs and having their heads be his eight eyes.

I dunno. I'm rambling here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

BiggerBoat posted:

Visually, I keep picturing the ending to Altered States for some reason and think that approach might work out. Or something like the end of Terminator 2 where when the liquid terminator dies and he keeps morphing into all these weird shapes and personas of the people he's mimicked and "IT" just keeps doing crazy poo poo like that in the final battle; growing prior victims as legs and having their heads be his eight eyes.

I dunno. I'm rambling here.

I'm blanking on the ending of Altered States. It's his ex-wife joining him or whatever?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

LadyPictureShow posted:

Well, that's weird that there seems to be more than one edit. Maybe digging graves and a talking head hallucination for a ten pm airing on TBS, but not the noon on a Sunday slot.

At least they didn't cut the most pivotal scene of Bill and Mike dicking around on a playground after fixing the old bike.

Maybe I saw an edited version 100% then caught bits of another one later in life, or something.

I've seen so many movies on TV with scenes cut out for timing, nothing like that surprises me. TBS is really bad where they'll fast forward small parts of crummy sitcom tv episodes they don't think you'll notice.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm blanking on the ending of Altered States. It's his ex-wife joining him or whatever?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ahahahah.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Excuse me I think you meant to post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fco7V-H9Zuo

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Rewatched the 90s version and thought it was adorable in that "Doing the best with what we've got" kind of way.

Though I remembered more clearly than I thought I would; the bit with Ben and Bev, her confessing her love and it turning out to be Pennywise. That hit me real hard when i watched it as a young, fat kid with an unrequited crush. Then the next scene is her actually confessing her love anyway. Hahaha. Kinda softens the impact a bit, though, "KISS ME, FAT BOY!" Was still the best part of the film.

And adult Richie sounds like Norm MacDonald, so i couldn't get that out of my head either.

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I'm now 37 and there's been a handful of movies that scarred me as a kid. IT, Jaws and Child's Play are the top 3.
I watched IT by accident as a child, secretly turning on my television in my room. :)

What essentially scared me the most is that IT violates any sense of safety you reach for as a child. Your friends, daylight, your parents, your house, public places etc. It breaks down or quickly alters these things.
The thing I find really great is that I never found the confrontation that scary, because me as a child watching, eventually came to the same conclusion as the kids in the movie; you just have to confront it. It's rather liberating and in essence a good example of the "release" horror movies can give (and why they are enjoyable).

It also makes for a nice comparison to the second half, where the adults surpress their fears, because avoidance is often possible and easily available compared to when you are a kid. Your school bully will still be there tomorrow.

That's why I also like the catapult example from earlier in the thread; they need to go back to their childhood selves with the same need to confront IT. It's just that the first half of the movie does a far better job to motivate this, especially when you watch it as a child (which many of us probably did).

For me, I don't see many angles how they can bring something new with the remake. Especially for the first half. I'd be sad if they only went for the "more grim" approach, as that doesn't mesh with why it's scary in the first place. The second half could be a lot stronger and I'm very curious to see how creative they want to go with that.

Obviously, can't wait to see it.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Here's an oral history of the miniseries that I found more interesting than the miniseries itself: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/back-to-derry-an-oral-history-of-stephen-kings-153351801.html

There's good stuff in there about how the spider ended up looking so horrid.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't film both halves of this new version at the same time, and are instead waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

I'm kind of shocked that they didn't film both halves of this new version at the same time, and are instead waiting.

I can see why they did it. If the first half is done right it can be a completely stand-alone story that doesn't feel like it needs sequel, and then if the movie is actually successful go ahead and do it. It's not something like Lord of the Rings where the story isn't even close to complete until the end of the third movie, the kid's story has a real beginning, middle, and end that stands on its own.

• Locked thread