Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it a fake 20?

Pay attention. The scammer asks you to give him 2 tens for a twenty. Not a twenty for 2 tens. He asks for 2 tens for a twenty – with some reason that is marginally plausible when you are busy and not thinking much. When you give him the 2 tens, he then says you made a mistake and gave him a ten and a one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Michael Corleone posted:

Pay attention. The scammer asks you to give him 2 tens for a twenty. Not a twenty for 2 tens. He asks for 2 tens for a twenty – with some reason that is marginally plausible when you are busy and not thinking much. When you give him the 2 tens, he then says you made a mistake and gave him a ten and a one.

Yup. I encountered the guy pictured in the story at U Street a couple of years ago and that was exactly it. It works because you are expecting a fake bill and get distracted examining it while he swaps out one of the tens you gave him for a one. In my case, I knew exactly what I'd given him plus he presented a hosed up crumpled $1 when he pointed out my "mistake" and I knew I didn't have a bill that messed up at all, so I told him to gently caress off and he started yelling at me while I was walking away.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it a fake 20?

It's a common scam that anybody that runs a cash till in any way shape or form gets warned about. The common tactics are things like catching you off guard, misdirection, throwing you off balance, etc. It's called a "quick change artist/scam." What was already said was a common one; swap out a bill and scream about being short changed. Another one is to get you talking so you aren't thinking about it then just be all "bruh you short changed me, give me the moneys." It's easier to do on people on the street as a cash register keeps track of everything. It's balls easy to just close the drawer, count up whatever is in it, and if it's right/a few cents off tell the person to go gently caress themselves.

People that counterfeit money are probably just going to spend it. Quick change scam artists have a different skill set. One of the most common signs of a scam is somebody trying to rush you or throw you off center somehow so you aren't thinking logically.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

The Sexual Shiite posted:

You get a cold call.
"We're working with your local water department to check water quality in your area. Can we come by to test it? It'll take half an hour!"
You say yes, they set up an appointment.
They come "test" your water, and throw you some bullshit about how their test shows your water is dangerous, and the chlorine in it is poison, etc. if you buy their filter, though, it'll totally fix it! By this point, they've been at your house for hours.

Here's a ten minute video on the scam. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axSkJa6IGes

Big Clive takes it to bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASnLL6ebaco

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011
Unfortunately, giving anything to street collection workers is just not worth it. Multi-part scam that's been covered before but a direct experience, so:

Young girls in Barcelona down from the museum steps. There are multiple steps (and escalators), maybe three levels; museum is 400m away up the steps. Major tourist area. Girls have clipboards, college t-shirts/hoodies depending on the time of year. Have charity/college ID and lanyards. Clipboard is filled with names and donation amounts.

Girls ask for a signature or donation to enable disabled access. Show clipboard with previous donations of 10 or 20 Euro. If you dumb enough to get your wallet out they gang up and get your attention while covering your wallet with the clipboard to try and magic some cash away. Person I was with saw the whole thing and went ballistic on them. They don't care. Lots of heavy watchers/protection around.

Exploits limited time in location/country, not wanting to deal with overseas police reports, local knowledge, public outbursts.

Yeah, I gave them a euro and said thank you for a cool scam. Person I was with was not impressed.

**everything apart from wanting your money is obviously fake

Meanwhile, street charity collectors in general for the big charities often work on commission - my girlfriend used to do it. It's a business :/

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I got had by a quick change guy when I worked at a grocery store when I was 18-19. He kept asking for different denominations of change. I knew in the back of my head that this was weird and that something scammy was going on but I was worried about getting in trouble for refusing to help a customer.

Doubtful Guest
Jun 23, 2008

Meanwhile, Conradin made himself another piece of toazzzzzzt.
I saw this on another message board. Is it a scam of some kind? Something to trick you into revealing your phone, or (as others suggested) to set up some kind of criminal meet-up? If so why not use a burner phone?

quote:

In October, I was walking back from Uni at about 1am, and a Pakistani guy crossed the road from the payphones on Brunswick St to speak to me. He told me he wasn't trying to rob me, he was from Oldham (his accent confirmed this) and that he had locked his phone in his car, and he was waiting for his mate to pick him up. He needed to borrow my phone to call him, but to reassure me, he said I could just put the number in and put him on speaker. He recited this mobile number (NOT premium rate, but I was instantly suspicious as no-one remembers numbers these days) and had a conversation to the effect of "Where the f*** are you? I'm at Brunswick Street" "I'm on my way. Bye". Then we went on our merry ways. This guy was probably about 6ft, smooth shaven, quite attractive. Nothing untoward has happened as a result, my phone bill was normal etc.

Anyway today, I was walking past Pets and Aquatics (just near the first incident) when a Pakistani guy with a beard and glasses came up to me to say "I'm not trying to rob you, I'm from Oldham, I've locked my phone in my car, and I just need to call my brother, he's on his way to pick me up. You can hold onto the phone and just put it on speaker". I obliged, and didn't let on that this was the second time this had happened. He recited the mobile number then had a conversation of "I'm outside the pharmacy" (which he was) "OK" hangs up. This guy was shorter and had a satchel, and was definitely a different bloke

Any ideas?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doubtful Guest posted:

I saw this on another message board. Is it a scam of some kind? Something to trick you into revealing your phone, or (as others suggested) to set up some kind of criminal meet-up? If so why not use a burner phone?

Any ideas?

You have to pay for a burner and in many places you have to show ID to get a SIM card, so it can be difficult to make a truly misattributable phone call. The few remaining payphones may have camera coverage.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Doubtful Guest posted:

Any ideas?

They do the same scam between Shoreditch when you pass anywhere near Haggerston. Basically there's another dodgy area on the route you're walking (streetlights off) and if your phone is nice it's going to get robbed. Time delay to get his pals on you.

edit: the drug thing is another option but really, they just want to engage to see how weak you are to target based on what you look like and the route you're on at that time of night

edit2: because free phone + cash on way to drugs is nice

impulse 7 effect fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 9, 2017

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

chemosh6969 posted:

A couple of us went to meet a co-worker's fiance at the place she worked. So we walk out from the base and start going downtown. Then we start going in the direction where all the bars are. Yep, that's where she worked. Best part was when she was on stage, he got up, went to the stage, got down on one knee and pulled out a ring.
OK, I gotta know what this guy did for a living and what happened after.

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

Remulak posted:

Bets on service support, young and dumb

with plenty of Eddie Murphy style 'what have you done for me lately'

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Lutha Mahtin posted:

is it a fake 20?

From another article about the same guy: http://www.popville.com/2015/11/beware-of-the-20-for-two-10s-scam-guy-is-back-in-farragut-and-now-hitting-up-businesses/

quote:

“This morning I was in my favorite little coffee shop (Cafe Grande) on K Street between 17 and 18th and a guy came in with the “$20 for two $10’s” scam. He’s a hunched over, African-American man who is probably 5’4” wearing a red jacket and a grey hat. Having read about that here I told him to go away but he convinced the woman at the register to “make the change” for him. I watched him as he pocketed the $20 and started screaming at her “for only giving him $1.” I stepped in – as did a couple of other patrons – saying “this is a scam, don’t worry you gave him a $20.” He got very vocal and started yelling at us, saying we were trying to take money from a homeless man, etc. The cashier (who had limited English and was very upset by the entire situation) threatened to call the police at which point he walked out. Just wanted to give people working in the area the heads up!”

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Remulak posted:

Air Force, maybe E2 by this point.

The girl looked around at all her friends in shock because I'm pretty sure the lead-up to this was him asking to marry her, like you can hear a lot of dudes doing if you go to these places and listen, and she probably thought it was BS like it is with everyone else.

The backstory to this guy, Troy, was he'd make a friend and then copy everything they did. A couple months after I was stationed there, Troy's current friend went back to the states to get married to his fiance that was still living back there. A few months later, Troy's telling us about this girl he met that works in a club and they've been dating awhile and now he's engaged. He mentions she has a friend that also works there and he mentioned me to her, so he's trying to hook us up, which I'm perfectly fine with and that's why I went out to the club that ended turning into a juicy bar*.

So this is where I meet her friend, Troy proposes, everyone is shocked and then he spends the next hour spending all his paycheck on buying her drinks. For the next few months all I know is he's still engaged to her and he's spending all his money on her, sometimes dropping his entire paycheck to bring her home for the night. No, they don't have sex. He tells me sometimes she gets naked so he can look at her.

Troy worked day shift and I worked mids, so it was really odd one night when Troy shows up to work about 3-4 hours early. He came in to tell us that he just had sex for the first time and it took him 2 hours.

A couple months later, I found out that the engagement is off and I'm pretty sure she's the one that did it since, knowing him, he was probably pressuring her to pick a date and stick with it.

But Troy wouldn't let his friend be the only one married. Maybe a month later Troy starts dating a Japanese lady that's separated from her Marine husband, is about 20 years older than him and has 3 kids, one from all of her marriages. At this point I was on day shift with him, and sometimes he'd carpool with me and I'd drive him by her house on the way home so he could see if her husband was home or not, so he could call her. He'd also tell us, since she was old, how he'd have to tell her that her boobs weren't saggy.

I ended up getting stationed in the exact opposite of this environment, Utah, before I found out how his new engagement worked out. If I was to bet, I'd say she would have possibly had one more kid before moving onto someone else.

*For your basic juicy bar in Okinawa, a Filipino girl sits with you and she wants you to buy a drink for her so she'll stay longer. The drink is usually a small cup with water and they'll get pissed off when you taste it because the secret's out. When you stop buying drinks, she'll sit with someone else. Depending on how close it is to payday determines how busy and how much the drinks are. If it's payday, they will easily ask for $20 to get their drink and they'll sit with you maybe 5-10 minutes till they ask for another drink. If it's close to payday, the regulars usually burned up all their cash and it's slow, so you can pay less for drinks and they'll sit with you longer.

Some places have a stage where a girl sometimes gets up and dances in a swimsuit, or less, depending on where you are in Asia and how far and how close the bar is to a base, and then how seedy the place is. The place with the banana show** was close to base but it was away from all the other bars.

You can pay extra to bring her home with you the rest of the night and the price depends on how close it is to payday, how much of a rube you are, etc. All the ones I've talked to wanted around a hundred on up to five hundred. This isn't you hiring a prostitute. You're aren't guaranteed to be getting any.

A small minority of people would go there just to chill out, have some drinks at the bar and chat up the bar owners. That's mainly what I did because I'm not going to throw a paycheck away but I did like going out exploring poo poo that I wouldn't be able to find back home in the states. The owners were usually really cool and a few places were owned by retired military. If you know what kind of scams they run before you go in, you can avoid all that and still have fun. If the place is empty and you're with friends just having fun and drinking, bar owners and the girls will hang out too, acting like normal people that aren't in scam mode.

When I first arrived at base, one of the newcomer orientations for everyone that recently arrived had a section about juicy bars and that they were a scam but I'd never heard or seen of anything like this and they didn't get into too much detail, so none of it made a whole lot of sense until I actually saw one. A few guys married them in our squadron and one guy in the dorms I lived a few doors down was dating one almost all the time I was there but they actually seemed to be in a legit relationship. She was there a lot of nights and he wasn't paying for her to come but he also had no plans on marrying her.

If you're easily grossed out, skip this section
**I'd describe the bar where the banana show took place as what would happen if a juicy bar and whisper alley (the alley with a bunch of small rooms with alley-front entrances where grandma hookers would service military members, which would have lines at each door on payday) had a baby. So instead of younger girls, you had older flabby women. The first act was the snake lady. The snake was something like a garter snake that she waved and danced around with before going out to the tables. One of the guys with us did not like snakes and when she came over, she put the snakes head in his crotch, at which point he closed his legs and got it's head stuck until she pulled it out. Then she went around to a few more tables, not putting snakes in crotches anymore, until she finished.

Then there was the banana lady. So it was an old, overweight asian lady that did a little dance to add some time to the show, before putting a banana up in her. Then she'd fling her groin and throw banana chunks out into the crowd. The finale was when she got a volunteer(looked like a very drunk Marine) from the audience to come up on stage and lay on his back. She loaded up a banana, squatted over his face, he opened his mouth, and yes, you can guess what happened. Not only did he get the banana in his mouth, he chewed it up and swallowed it. The banana lady unzipped his pants and started giving him a blowjob for a few minutes, while he would look at the crowd and give a thumbs down.

Eventually the show ended and we got up to leave. But the night wasn't over for me. I'm walking out in a line behind everyone I came with and right before I reach the door, as if I was a gazelle that strayed a little too far from the herd and got snatched by a lion, I'm yanked by one of the old ladies into a seat at a booth and she's trying to undo my pants to give me a blowjob for $20. I'm telling her no, I'm not interested, while fighting her over my belt and pants. Then I think of a brilliant solution to get me out of my troubles. I have no money in my wallet, so I'll pull it out, show her I'm broke and then she'll let me go.

What I had completely forgot was that I did have money. I had $200 that I was going to pay someone later on that night, then I'd be broke. So as I'm telling her I have no money, then thinking "gently caress" the second I opened my wallet and saw what I'd done, she had a different idea where she'd reach over for my wallet. That's where my instinct of willing to wrestle an old woman that's trying to take my loving wallet kicks in, at which point some of the other ladies that had to have been watching came over and diffused the situation and I left the bar, still trying to get my pants back up.

Everyone else waited outside the entire time because they thought I decided to get a bj from grandma.

I'll also add that I've never been to a strip club in the states because I can't believe they'd be nearly as interesting as anything I'd seen in Okinawa.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:stare:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Is this her?

Video obviously NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnk25qzIG24

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Japan is surprisingly backward with a lot of their infrastructure. Most official stuff is still done by hand on paper rather than anything electronic. Banking is a bit of a pain in the rear end as well. Cash is mostly used for any transaction, even things like rent and insurance. I even knew an old guy over there that refused to use anything but cash. I'm not sure he even had a bank account. Very few ATMs outside of the post office will accept foreign cards (Cirrus/Maestro etc), and even then it's a crapshoot as to whether a card will work. I think a lot of it is because Japan is a very old country and they're very set in their ways, for better or worse.

Anyway, scams. I ran into a few when I visited Hong Kong, but at least I only really fell for one.

I was down at the waterfront and an Indian dude started talking to me. Seemed legit at first, but then he did a routing about being a yogi and giving him money for luck. I gave him $10HKD (~$1USD) so he would shut up, but he kept pressuring me so I walked away. I also went across the border to Shenzhen and while I was there bought a MicroSD card from a dude on the street, but it didn't work. Looked real legit though. Only cost about $10 so I wasn't too miffed.

Worst was when I went to Wan Chai with a dude I met at the hostel I was staying at. We were walking past a bar and some girls literally dragged us inside. They really wanted us to spend money on a strip show or to gently caress them, but all we did was buy them a drink. Sounds fine, until they gave us the bill when we left. Our drinks were about $40HKD each, but theirs were $400HKD each. That pissed us off, but we thought it would be a good idea to pay in case there were some dudes out the back that would gently caress us up if we bailed. Honestly, it could have been much worse but we really shouldn't have stayed in the first place.

I also remember a ton of Indian or Arab guys offering me drugs, and people collecting donations for some disaster in the Philippines. I have no idea if they were legit or not, but I wasn't interested in finding out. There's also all the markets with tons of knockoff merchandise, but I'm not sure I'd consider that a scam because of how open they are.

Hi Mark.

batmansdrawers
Jan 1, 2006

Y-Y-Y-Yoda
Had a funny one the other day... I was in Australia, and the girlfriend was at an exchange booth converting Japanese Yen into Aussie dollars.

Some young asian guy rocks up asking her to to cancel the transaction because he was going to offer her a better deal. The teller at the exchange center was Japanese, so, we were all talking a common language. He says he is going to Japan the day after, and wants to shoot her a better deal, and I step in, because this kid is more Australian than he is Japanese. He starts saying he is going to see his J-dad the day after, and shows me emails, and he is saying he has an Australian mum. My girl says his Japanese is not fluent - it's off point. At this point, everything seems dodgy, so I say to the little oval office, "Oi, nah, mate, this is sus. gently caress off." He hollers out to his Australian mum, and this fat whale comes over with a shopping trolley full of food (for the family who is supposedly leaving to Japan the next day).

She's aggressive, and has a tattoo of a star under her right eye, and she starts screaming me down. I can't really see how he would benefit either party. What's the scam?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

batmansdrawers posted:

Had a funny one the other day... I was in Australia, and the girlfriend was at an exchange booth converting Japanese Yen into Aussie dollars.

Some young asian guy rocks up asking her to to cancel the transaction because he was going to offer her a better deal. The teller at the exchange center was Japanese, so, we were all talking a common language. He says he is going to Japan the day after, and wants to shoot her a better deal, and I step in, because this kid is more Australian than he is Japanese. He starts saying he is going to see his J-dad the day after, and shows me emails, and he is saying he has an Australian mum. My girl says his Japanese is not fluent - it's off point. At this point, everything seems dodgy, so I say to the little oval office, "Oi, nah, mate, this is sus. gently caress off." He hollers out to his Australian mum, and this fat whale comes over with a shopping trolley full of food (for the family who is supposedly leaving to Japan the next day).

She's aggressive, and has a tattoo of a star under her right eye, and she starts screaming me down. I can't really see how he would benefit either party. What's the scam?

Fake bills?

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

PBS posted:

Is this her?

Video obviously NSFW.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnk25qzIG24

That's it and I'm nearly certain we sat at that same table. That angle of the stage is flashback city. I would have loved to try and film it but it was about 20 years ago, so it would have been hard to sneak in a camcorder that records on tape.

The youtube comments were worth a read. Apparently this one died and the daughter took up the act.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

batmansdrawers posted:

i would almost sympathize with having to deal with trashy aggresive people but i can't get over the part where the reason you decide to step in is based on some kind of :goonsay: "hm well clearly i can determine the genetic heritage of this rando talking to MY GIRLFRIEND"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i would almost sympathize with having to deal with trashy aggresive people but i can't get over the part where the reason you decide to step in is based on some kind of :goonsay: "hm well clearly i can determine the genetic heritage of this rando talking to MY GIRLFRIEND"

Australians are genetically predisposed to being racist alcoholic criminals so it's better to be safe than just assume the half-breed's civilized Japanese side makes him trustworthy.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Australians are genetically predisposed to being racist alcoholic criminals so it's better to be safe than just assume the half-breed's civilized Japanese side makes him trustworthy.

Am Australian, can confirm true.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

impulse 7 effect posted:

Unfortunately, giving anything to street collection workers is just not worth it. Multi-part scam that's been covered before but a direct experience, so:

Young girls in Barcelona down from the museum steps. There are multiple steps (and escalators), maybe three levels; museum is 400m away up the steps. Major tourist area. Girls have clipboards, college t-shirts/hoodies depending on the time of year. Have charity/college ID and lanyards. Clipboard is filled with names and donation amounts.

Girls ask for a signature or donation to enable disabled access. Show clipboard with previous donations of 10 or 20 Euro. If you dumb enough to get your wallet out they gang up and get your attention while covering your wallet with the clipboard to try and magic some cash away. Person I was with saw the whole thing and went ballistic on them. They don't care. Lots of heavy watchers/protection around.

Exploits limited time in location/country, not wanting to deal with overseas police reports, local knowledge, public outbursts.

Yeah, I gave them a euro and said thank you for a cool scam. Person I was with was not impressed.

**everything apart from wanting your money is obviously fake

Meanwhile, street charity collectors in general for the big charities often work on commission - my girlfriend used to do it. It's a business :/

Yeah, you read my previous post on this. As far as I know it is gypsy girls or young women from the Balkans, usually reasonably dressed and not odd looking. They work in gangs all over tourist destinations in Europe. I've seen them in Brussels and Paris. Weird thing is that I've never
heard of/seen locals doing this scam.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Dank new phishing tech

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Whats the end game? You email back and you're like "What the hell?: and then they email you back and say "Hey whats your personal info?"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Whats the end game? You email back and you're like "What the hell?: and then they email you back and say "Hey whats your personal info?"

That or you email back, they mark your address as valid on their checklist, and secondary spamming, scamming, and phishing occurs. All of which may be automated and may have been triggered if any embedded graphics, including a transparent 1x1 pixel, were loaded.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Midjack posted:

That or you email back, they mark your address as valid on their checklist, and secondary spamming, scamming, and phishing occurs. All of which may be automated and may have been triggered if any embedded graphics, including a transparent 1x1 pixel, were loaded.

The embedded image is the best/worst spammer ploy ever. Even better than 'Reply stop to be removed from this mailing list.'

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Whatever happened, I'm sure we can work it out, please contact me at (phone number) or visit me at (home address). If anything was damaged and needs to be replaced, just use my credit card (number) or maybe I can meet you at 7-11 and pay using itunes cards.

EDIT: If u don't believe me u can do a police check with my ssn (number) and u will see I am an honest guy!!!

peanut fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 22, 2017

Ironsolid
Mar 1, 2005

Fishing isn't an addiction, it's a way of life. Everything to gain while losing everything
Kohls

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Had a guy approach me at a gas station and try the panhandling sob story

If I recall, it was him going on about how 5 years ago he stabbed a person to save his son, so he had to move out of the city, and then moved back into the city, and was trying to reocnnect to his family, and needed money to try to make ends meet and get a bus ticket.

The story was long and rambling and kind of jumped back and forth.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm pretty likely to give panhandlers a couple bucks regardless of how dumb their story is because no matter what the truth is they need it more than I do, but if your story starts with how you stabbed a guy, I'm not gonna be inclined to keep talking to you.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm also inclined to give homeless people money no matter their story for the same reason. I hardly ever have cash on me anymore though so usually I don't.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

There's a guy panhandling in the subway station close to where I live. I see him a few times per month and he always uses the same "I lost my wallet and need money to get home". Funny how often he seems to lose that wallet. :v:

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pharmaskittle posted:

I'm pretty likely to give panhandlers a couple bucks regardless of how dumb their story is because no matter what the truth is they need it more than I do, but if your story starts with how you stabbed a guy, I'm not gonna be inclined to keep talking to you.

but are you brave enough to walk away

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
I always just keep walking, I don't want to hear the story and if I do listen I'm just wasting their time because I won't give them any money.

Those of you giving out money, do you live in small cities?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

There's a guy panhandling in the subway station close to where I live. I see him a few times per month and he always uses the same "I lost my wallet and need money to get home". Funny how often he seems to lose that wallet. :v:

This reminded me of two incidents I had with a scammer awhile ago.

I guess this happened a decade ago but I was at a bookstore and this guy came in saying that his daughter was going into labor and that he needed gas money to get to the hospital.

A few years later, I'm at a Burger King, about an hour and a half away from the first meeting, and the same guy came in with the same story: my daughter is in labor and I need gas money to get there.

He may not have been lying the first time though since the second time he did have a toddler with him. :v:

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

PBS posted:

I always just keep walking, I don't want to hear the story and if I do listen I'm just wasting their time because I won't give them any money.

Those of you giving out money, do you live in small cities?

This. I took a panhandler once to get food after her long-drawn story. She has tried to tell me the same story at least 7 more times in the past 3 years. She usually starts with "Do you know of any women shelters around here?" followed by "I've been on the street the past two days and haven't had anything to eat" - so confusing when the same canned story is used in the same area frequented by local people. They're bound to have repeat encounters

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
There's this aggressive crackhead in my city who has been using the same "My dad is a chief at an up island reserve and I need just ten bucks to stay at the hostel" story for years now. He once called me a stuck up bitch (fittingly enough, he has a fedora and a greasy ponytail) for ignoring him after he told me to smile. Even the other panhandlers think he's a dick apparently.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Celery Face posted:

Even the other panhandlers think he's a dick apparently.

Now I'm imaging a Panhandler's Local Union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CommieGIR posted:

Now I'm imaging a Panhandler's Local Union.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_Panhandlers%27_Union

I had to google for it, but I *knew* I'd heard of a Panhandler's Union before.