Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KURvCi92XRk

Justin Roiland, totally normal human being

I prefer this one of that whole clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIakqFWwB1s&t=319s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Honestly, Jerry is a huge jerk in a way that's hard to feel sympathetic for.. Unlike Rick, who you simultaneously want to get angry at and root for, Jerry is just... he's a sponge. He doesn't contribute to anyone else's being, is neurotically self centered, and rarely considers the consequences of his actions. Yeah, he's shown some examples of acting in someone else's benefit, but after his selfish or needy behavior has put him in there.

I've seen people effectively going "Rick ruined his life when Jerry was finally happy", except... Beth was emotionally dependent on him at that point, which he'd called unhealthy when it was Rick benefiting from it, and his new better job and life was basically dependent on the colonization of Earth. Jerry may not actively try to screw people over, but he's cowardly and selfish enough to be just as bad.

jerry is not that bad
beth is a lot worse for everyone

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They're both terrible. Jerry is still awful, and Beth being awful doesn't excuse him encouraging the unhealthy behavior she showed towards Rick once it was targeted towards him.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

We have seen Jerry step up when poo poo hits the fan sometimes, at least. Beth just retreats to her wine bottle the second things get even a little tough.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Beth shot an innocent person at dinner because she is so self involved she couldn't remember a single nice thing about a long-time family friend.

Oh and she gave her teenage daughter a black-eye wall falling down drunk.

Jerry... yeah cheating on Beth with Sleepy Gary is probably the worst thing he's done on the show... except maybe locking Beth out of the car from the stab hobo.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Bust Rodd posted:

Beth shot an innocent person at dinner because she is so self involved she couldn't remember a single nice thing about a long-time family friend.

Jerry... yeah cheating on Beth with Sleepy Gary is probably the worst thing he's done on the show... except maybe locking Beth out of the car from the stab hobo.

No, she couldn't remember a single bad thing about him. It isn't her fault Mr. Poopybutthole is an angel on earth.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Bust Rodd posted:

Sleepy Gary cheated on Beth in that scenario, I thought. Wasn't Sleepy Gary Beth's husband instead, in their parasite memory?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I honestly don't watch that episode because the M.PB pisses me off.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sleepy Gary was the husband and Jerry was just some guy living with them.

Everybody loves Mrs. Refrigerator!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Jerry pressured Beth into marrying him because he knocked her up, allowed himself to be a spokesperson for the Plutonians so they could continue stripmining their planet (it doesn't matter if he changed his mind later he still did it) AFTER being willing to sabotage his own son's grade due to his ego, was willing to hide from his and Beth's psychological constructs while telling Beth to "find her own", and was happy to accept a totalitarian regime and Beth transferring her unhealthy fixation on Rick to him because things were finally going well for him in particular.

Beth is awful, yes. But Jerry is a terrible human being on his own. These two things are not mutually exclusive facts.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

we end the latest episode with beth's mental issues basically making stuff worse for the family, while jerry's objections to rick are correct and good.
Both of them have done real bad stuff but pointing fingers gets us nowhere.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Beth got rid of Jerry and accepted Rick, how did that make the family worse?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Skellybones posted:

Beth got rid of Jerry and accepted Rick, how did that make the family worse?

Jerry may be a neurotic sack of crap but Rick is outright malicious and deliberately manipulative of his family.

i mean it's entertaining to us but she should have kicked them both to the curb

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Most timelines have a Rick and most ricks have a Morty.

How does that not mean infinite ricks in infinite universes?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ikanreed posted:

Most timelines have a Rick and most ricks have a Morty.

How does that not mean infinite ricks in infinite universes?

You can have one infinity that's smaller than another infinity. Math people understand this. (I am not a math person.)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Let's assume the odds that a universe has a Rick is 1/3. That means the odds it does not are 2/3. Now, 1/3rd of all universes in an infinite set of universes is still infinite! However, if you pick a random universe there's still only a 1/3 chance that it will be one with a Rick. When Rick switches over to a universe where he and Morty died moments before, there's infinite of those universes too! But the odds of picking one at random are tiny, so presumably Rick has to invest time to search out the right ones among the infinite number of potential ones.

tl:dr Infinite Ricks and Morties, but Rick doesn't have the time to look at them all.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Slime posted:

Jerry may be a neurotic sack of crap but Rick is outright malicious and deliberately manipulative of his family.

i mean it's entertaining to us but she should have kicked them both to the curb

jerry has it in him to try his best, and he cares about his family, even though he's a jerk and pretty stupid.
Beth has deep emotional issues, but Rick is pure poison for everyone in the family.

Also when he gets a chance to shine he sometimes takes it. Cronenberg universe proves that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

It's essentially a Fermi paradox argument. Regardless of what the incidence of Ricks in the multiverse might be objectively, the likelihood that Rick C-137 will stumble upon some specific permutation is low.

There could be literally infinite Ricks, or a finite but extremely large number, but you're still constrained by the logistical challenge of finding them.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It's also worth noting that Beth's deep emotional issues are almost certainly mostly Rick's fault, not Jerry's.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Away all Goats posted:

1% of infinity is infinity. That's how infinity works. But the real answer is don't think about it.

But I love thinking about it! My point was that if 1% of infinite ricks die, and 2% of infinite ricks want to jump universe, only 50% of infinite ricks will get to jump universes.

There's this puzzle thats pretty rad, maybe it disproves my theory but I am too lazy to think about it at this precise moment in infinite time.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Megaspel posted:

But I love thinking about it! My point was that if 1% of infinite ricks die, and 2% of infinite ricks want to jump universe, only 50% of infinite ricks will get to jump universes.

There's this puzzle thats pretty rad, maybe it disproves my theory but I am too lazy to think about it at this precise moment in infinite time.

Yeah Hilbert's paradox proves you wrong. If 1% of a countably infinite set of Ricks die and 2% of a countably infinite set of Ricks want to jump universe then they'll still have an infinite number of deadRick universes to go to.

Just say that the 1% of dead Ricks are numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 etc. and the jumping Ricks are number 1a, 1b, 2a, 2b, 3a, 3b, 4a, 4b, etc.. Rick 1a goes to 1's universe, 1b goes to 2, 2a goes to 3, 2b goes to 4, 3a goes to 5, etc.. It doesn't matter that there's twice as many jumping Ricks as there are dead Ricks because there's still an infinite number of deadRick universes for them to jump into.

Therefore if Rick C-137 says there's only 3 or 4 more times he can jump into a deadRick universe that implies that he doesn't have access to infinite universes.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I think this conversation is missing the real important questions.

Is C-137 the original universe where Earth got all Cronenberged up or is C-137 the second universe?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Jerry and Beth aren't great people, but they actually have been shown to be good for each other at times. Real marriage counseling instead of alien marriage counseling probably would have helped a lot, but that would have been less funny so I'm glad it didn't happen.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Shima Honnou posted:

Is C-137 the original universe where Earth got all Cronenberged up or is C-137 the second universe?

Or is C-137 Rick's Morty the C-137 Morty?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

Unless The Rickest Rick was originally from a different universe and switched prior to the pilot episode, I think it has to be the former. If "Rick C-137" is well known by the Council of Ricks as a malcontent and a rogue, he probably got that reputation long before he Cronenberged up his Universe and bailed.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Or maybe the fact that Rick said every week should make it obvious that it was a meta joke and he was acknowledging that doing the "replace our dead selves" trick multiple times would be stupid.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Unless The Rickest Rick was originally from a different universe and switched prior to the pilot episode, I think it has to be the former.

I'd be surprised if that wasn't the case, honestly. He's done all this before.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

It's also worth noting that Beth's deep emotional issues are almost certainly mostly Rick's fault, not Jerry's.

never said they were.

but taking advantage of them is reprehensible.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Um, first of all, hello. Uh, my name is blim blam the korblok. Second of all, cards on the table, I'm a murderer that eats babies, and I came to this planet to eat babies. However, I am also carrying a highly infectious disease that I suppose you could call "space aids" as you put it. And Rick did chain me up so that he could attempt to cure it. At the same time, Rick's motivation to cure my disease was not to save my life or anyone else's, but to patent and sell the cure for billions of blemflarcks.

But you know the reason why I ripped my chains out of the wall? And do you know why I'm never coming back to this planet? Because you all are the loving worst! You all hate yourselves and each other. And the idea that it has anything to do with infinite Ricks is laughable.

I'd laugh, but I'm biologically incapable. That's how alien I am. And even I'm sitting here listening to all of you and being like, "what the gently caress" so good luck with your lovely argument, and tell Rick I'm sorry he has to deal with any of you.

Blim blam out.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The interesting thing here is Beth's issues are NOT this Rick's fault. Her Rick is dead. Rick feels probably zero culpability because any issues she has due to him are literally not his fault until anything she's developed in the last year.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I don't care for the Tiny Rick storyline, but I do like his guitar playing. (Also, the Beth-and-Jerry stuff is fantastic.)

Yay, Oscar-winner Jim Rash! :woop:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

parallelodad posted:

The interesting thing here is Beth's issues are NOT this Rick's fault. Her Rick is dead. Rick feels probably zero culpability because any issues she has due to him are literally not his fault until anything she's developed in the last year.

This is a technicality irrelevant to the spirit of the series and the way it tells its stories.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Jack Gladney posted:

This is a technicality irrelevant to the spirit of the series and the way it tells its stories.

Plus the reason Rick chose the second universe is because it was identical in every single way except that this Rick un-Cronenburged the world and then he and Morty died immediately afterward. All of their actions and memories match up perfectly with their current reality. For that matter, only Morty seems to care about the switch, and that's only when he's feeling existential.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Roiland is soooo proud of that fake poop on the floor.

Also they spend half the behind the scenes doing a "bathroom tour". Those guys really love poop.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe
Speaking of the S3 premiere... I am sure someone else has previously mentioned this, but I love how you can tell who the real Rick is by watching for the blob of goo beneath his mouth. Even Insect Creature Rick has this, and you can see it appear every time he transfers his mind to a new host.

Except... well, it disappears right after the game of Rick, Scissors, Laser takes place. Odd.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a pretty common tool in animation to let you know which character is the real one, it let you know some character that's changed form is still the same person.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I just love that there is such a wealth of possible interpretations to the episode.

1. Rick coldly calculated that being imprisoned was the best way to stop Jerry from meddling? Checks out.

2. Rick martyred himself to protect his family and claiming he did it to gently caress with Jerry is just disguising his vulnerability? Checks out.

The creators acted like they would hand waive away the prison issue but it is still impressively complex.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

what on earth is wrong with u

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Well that's how you know he's real and not actually an alien parasite.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I really like the way each character's demons are handled and how they affect the characters. Each character has some character growth over the course of the show but also character... shrinkage? Is that the term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Eifert Posting posted:

I really like the way each character's demons are handled and how they affect the characters. Each character has some character growth over the course of the show but also character... shrinkage? Is that the term?

They change, but not always for the better.

Man, getting a new episode of this show has just made me miss it more. Is this what it's like to get re-addicted to crack?