Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dragonmaw posted:

Real tired of getting facecamped by killers. Is the only counter a full SWF? Because that's some nonsense.

Survivors have so many ways to get away and juke you that at this point face camping is the only way to get some sacrifice points unless you're dealing with people that just got the game.

Its just not fun being a killer right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonmaw
Mar 3, 2010

Dr. Funk's
House o' Love
I can get pips easy enough, I'm not really after kills, so I don't really understand facecamps except for tryharding for kills.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dragonmaw posted:

I can get pips easy enough, I'm not really after kills, so I don't really understand facecamps except for tryharding for kills.

Not everyone plays this game for pips. If I'm playing killer I'm there to kill the survivors.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Then you're playing the game wrong etc.

Dragonmaw
Mar 3, 2010

Dr. Funk's
House o' Love
I'm really enjoying the Hag. She's not that great at chasing unless she's perked up (which is honestly a problem with how many infinites there are with her slow-rear end movespeed lol) but she can farm great points just laying traps everywhere. I almost get double pips every single game, and had a streak of three games in a row where I double pipped.

Matches with the Hag are long but IMO rewarding.

Also I stumbled across a pretty good strategy as Killer. If you spot somebody, don't immediately start chasing them. Mill around and inch closer to them without looking directly at them. They'll think you didn't see them and stay put, hoping you leave. Then you can swing around and score an easy hit.

I had to start doing this because of the Hag's terrible movespeed and constant teabagging from survivors.

Dragonmaw fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 6, 2017

Deathshot
Feb 15, 2014
Anyone even still play this game?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
nah

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Deathshot
Feb 15, 2014
Seems like the community for this game is going to poo poo.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think it has been poo poo. Both sides keep talking past one another and each side thinks the other is overpowered.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Community has always been poo poo, personally I'm eagerly awaiting the console version so I can use my PC experience to gently caress with pubbies till they to become cancer incarnate, then I'll never play the game again.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

blackguy32 posted:

I think it has been poo poo. Both sides keep talking past one another and each side thinks the other is overpowered.
yea i think the most fun i had playing this game was trolling the steam forums

Deathshot
Feb 15, 2014
I dunno, I enjoyed playing it with a group of 3 others but other than that, It's been like hitting my dick with a hammer for the most part.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
With the new kill your friends there's no reason to ever again touch matchmaking. Goodbye, grind!

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

So I take it, the goon presence on this game is dead? I'm asking because apparently Bill from L4D is in this straight up. Like, they show him dead at The Passing, then whoosh he's with the others in a yard full of generators, hooks, and a magic school bus complaints of overpowered-ness.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I was initially perked up at Bill showing up, but in the end I think it's really lame to have him in the game. His entire thing is that he was a walking wall of gently caress in life, to group him with some shivering scared kids with zero way of affecting the killer is just awkward. Myers' teenage sister can stab the killer, for gently caress's sake. Also, mega lol at anyone thinking he is overpowered. Left Behind is loving worthless and his other two perks are completely negated by Deerstalker, which a lot of killers already use because it's a great perk.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Oh, well that's good to know. Might consider the DLC at a discount, at that rate.

Also, the game has been out for sometime and STILL you get people who struggle on the hook. Got sacrificed right as I realized he was struggling like a dingus.

But at least the hook dungeon is killer. Managed my only two sacrifices with the nurse in one. Also God the Nurse is... skill-based. That Blink requires timing and poo poo.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah to be clear, here are the specs of bill's perks. my notes are in italics

Left Behind: If you are the last person remaining in the trial, for each generator that needs to be completed gain a 19/22/25% bonus to repair speed. useless; if you're the only one left in the trial and the hatch isn't open you're straight hosed anyway.
Borrowed Time: Once per match, for 20 seconds after unhooking a survivor within the killer's terror radius, any damage taken that would put you or the unhooked survivor into the dying state will instead trigger a 30 /35/40 seconds bleed out timer. Taking any damage during the bleed out timer will put you into the dying state. cool so i can unhook someone and then walk off to die in the woods sounds most sexcellent oh wait i also just die if i get hit again which will probably happen because the killer has a humongous advantage over you once he has you in his sights
Unbreakable: Grants the ability to fully recover from dying state once per trial. Increases dying recovery speed by 15/20/25% wow you were so close to making a really cool combo here and then restricted it to once per trial great awesome thanks for that

i can see bill becoming a real bastard and living up to his legend if they make you impossible to knock into dying in the borrowed time state and/or make you immune to deerstalker while using unbreakable. but as it stands it's like "hey cool another reason to equip this already very excellent killer perk"

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

That does look like overbalancing, why do you ask.

Also, loving rip Ultra Rare perks man

If only I had Deerstalkers. :allears:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
it stuns me that people still slot sprint burst lol

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Coolguye posted:

it stuns me that people still slot sprint burst lol

Why wouldn't you? Have they added anything in the past few months that gives even a remote chance of escaping the killer chasing you?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yes, decisive strike.

but beyond that sprint burst doesn't help that situation and never has. you lose the killer by breaking LOS and sprint burst doesn't help that situation since the killer will still trivially outpace you. you're better off slotting quick and quiet, at level 3 the pop for quick vaulting is something like 5 meters, the only vaguely directional audible noise actually has a longer distance than the noise pop.

people are still slotting sprint burst due to the old meta surrounding infinite juke points where blazing across a short dead run was actually relevant. it hasn't been for a long time but people are still like 'boy howdy outrunning the killer for 3 seconds sure sounds useful, i will do my best to not think about the other 37 because it certainly involves getting demolished'

e: actually it's up to 74 seconds now because sprint burst got nerfed in 1.2.4 and recharges at half speed while you are still actively sprinting, hurr

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Mar 10, 2017

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

widespread posted:

Oh, well that's good to know. Might consider the DLC at a discount, at that rate.
Bill's free, thankfully.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Only got into this game a few weeks ago, still kind of suck, also getting paired with a rank 1 killer blows. Anyone still playing this regularly?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
no

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I use to play this game like 6 months ago - but then I got bored and the Friday the 13th beta happened and I've had no desire to return to DbD.

Has it improved any? Are people still salty about being killed in this game about being killed?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
hasn't improved, is boring, survivor play still hinges entirely on how boneheaded the killer is

do not return

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Kinda regret buying this for the 3 hours of entertainment I got. Would have been more fun if my friends actually bought this like they said they would.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It was a great idea, but they horribly botched the execution. Some perks were just so much better than everything else that everyone was running them, and the game could be horribly frustrating from both sides. Not only that, but so many of the mechanics were just half assed.

Actually, looking back on it, I was annoyed with a lot of the things in the game.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

DBD has always felt like an oldschool FPS mod to me, in both the best and worst ways. I can't complain too much overall, as for the $20ish I've spent on it, I've gotten around 400 hours of play.

I haven't been playing so much the last couple of months, but I still think the game's core gameplay loop is rock solid. Given that player numbers and matchmaking times have stayed consistent (something niche multiplayer games often struggle with), I'd say that's a sign that they did SOMETHING right... not that you'd know from the endless complaining since the game's release on pretty much every forum including here :)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
peggle also still has lots of players, it's also a garbage game with terrible core gameplay.

if the complaining is so unfounded, why is it that none of the core complaints can be addressed or answered in any real way? why is there still no answer, all these months later, to what 'good survivor play' actually entails? there is incompetent survivor play and lacking incompetence, but that is not the same thing. in a chase, the result almost entirely depends on how boneheaded the killer is.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
To be fair that's very filmlike

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Coolguye posted:

if the complaining is so unfounded, why is it that none of the core complaints can be addressed or answered in any real way? why is there still no answer, all these months later, to what 'good survivor play' actually entails? there is incompetent survivor play and lacking incompetence, but that is not the same thing. in a chase, the result almost entirely depends on how boneheaded the killer is.
Oh, much of the complaining is absolutely legitimate. It's more that I find it interesting that people talk about the game with such a sense of finality when it seems to be doing reasonably well. There are plenty of indie titles that would love to be as "dead" as DBD.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

The only time this game was legitimately fun was playing with a full KYF group but sync-dropping on some random unpopulated steam region like West Africa. Also, doing that during a double bloodpoint weekend. I just can't be bothered to even launch it any more, and very few of my friends can either. It's a shame, because it really was a cool loving idea.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Amante posted:

Oh, much of the complaining is absolutely legitimate. It's more that I find it interesting that people talk about the game with such a sense of finality when it seems to be doing reasonably well. There are plenty of indie titles that would love to be as "dead" as DBD.

do note that there is an ongoing problem with botting for bloodpoints severe enough that the subject routinely crops up on dev streams. player counts are difficult to trust in that environment.

the game is by no means dead, of course, but it considering fundamental statistics and how those are skewed positively it's hard to be phlegmatic about the game's overall impact.

or, to put it another way: payday 2 is a much older game with an ostensibly much smaller user base, but Starbreeze is heavily involved with both studios, to the point where they made Payday 2's creators pimp out DbD in pre-release streams. Starbreeze executives in the last few quarterly reports have consistently cited payday as the biggest income generator for the company, despite these supposed weaker numbers.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I played a couple games the other day. No one gives a gently caress about you as killer. They'll brazenly bodyblock you and take hits because, even though they can't hurt you, costing you time is basically the same thing. I'm a good killer so I didn't fall for that poo poo. Perhaps because of that, a majority of the survivors I played with simply disconnected before the match was over.

I run a heartbeat build so I'm not even particularly tryhard. I just try to make it exciting for the survivors. Problem is, they're all so focused on metagaming they don't care.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The combination of self heal and borrowed time is broken as gently caress right now as well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Huge update! They've rebalanced a lot of perks, and finally put in the sabotaged hook self-repair.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
First loving line:
- Added bloodlust mechanic (increased speed for killers during chases)

Jesus loving Christ. Friday the 13th can't come out quick enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coolguye posted:

First loving line:
- Added bloodlust mechanic (increased speed for killers during chases)

Jesus loving Christ. Friday the 13th can't come out quick enough.

What is the problem? Sprint burst was getting out of hand.

• Locked thread