Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

EightBit posted:

First time I've ever heard another person talk about di.fm

I had no idea they'd even created their own website or started a stand-alone service, I used to always stream them via Winamp. :corsair:

... where are my glowsticks?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I had no idea they'd even created their own website or started a stand-alone service, I used to always stream them via Winamp. :corsair:

That's still what I use on my pc, no better media player. They have an android client that is pretty slick, but I managed to get the mobile winamp app to stream it once.

I just got on to unlimited data recently, bring on the weird electronic music.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

tuned tuned tuned tuned.... for life life life life

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Finally got my farm wagon back on 4 wheels. Replaced the collapsed rear leafs with HD upgrades, and put extended shackles from a later model on the rear mount which gave me about a 1" lift.

No more ghost trailer, even with new tires for the CR-V in the bed. (Continental has a $70 rebate on some tires right now)

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I put my summer wheels on and washed it.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fifty Three posted:

I put my summer wheels on and washed it.

I did the same :D platinum white looks so good after a wash in the sunlight.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Hell yeah WHEELS

Glass bead blasted them then used leftover plastidip to coat them white and the center caps black. Might attempt to remove the white from around the wheel cutouts to give it more dimension and to let the raw pinged aluminum shine through but that's up to my wife. I need to find more things to media blast because it's hella rad.

The cardboard is there for a small oil leak from the oil pan which is the next thing to be done. I'm guessing the previous owner torqued down the bolts too much and bent the pan.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Me and my friend finally found a place to work on our cars, and the rent is cheap too!

So far we've gotten a lift, a compressor, couch and the obligatory stereo system. I've even got a lathe coming!

afen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 10, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah WHEELS

Glass bead blasted them then used leftover plastidip to coat them white and the center caps black. Might attempt to remove the white from around the wheel cutouts to give it more dimension and to let the raw pinged aluminum shine through but that's up to my wife. I need to find more things to media blast because it's hella rad.

The cardboard is there for a small oil leak from the oil pan which is the next thing to be done. I'm guessing the previous owner torqued down the bolts too much and bent the pan.

That looks stupid good. The wheels play perfectly off the white stripe.

afen posted:

Me and my friend finally found a place to work on our cars, and the rent is cheap too!

So far we've gotten a lift, a compressor, couch and the obligatory stereo system. I've even got a lathe coming!

I'm jealous.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

I went on squeak patrol today trying to find and fix as many little noise making things as I could. I know from the other wagon if I tighten everything up it'll be pretty quiet up front. One thing I found was that there had been work done on the steering column before (which I hope was a recall fix for replacing the ignition that I also did on my '87) because some of the clips were never seated properly. Once I took out one of the screws the front instrument cluster surround nearly popped itself out at me!

Nothing was wrong with it once I re-installed it. I guess nobody cared enough to fix it before. It made a really annoying rubbing noise!

I also got this in the mail; it's a mahogany license plate surround! I thought it would look cool on the back! :eng101:

Turns out it didn't fit... the lightbulb protectors hidden under that little cover wouldn't let the frame sit high enough to meet the screw holes... :eng99:

So I guess it's going on the front! :science:

KakerMix posted:

Hell yeah WHEELS

I love how clean that looks! Can't get enough of that graphics package.

Luxrage fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Apr 10, 2017

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Added a Bakflip MX4. Fits great, easy to install, and mostly water proof. I spent I don't wanna know how many hours reading reviews and descriptions of various bed covers because there's a surprisingly large variety of them, but I think I'll be happy with this one. I don't think it looks quite as good as the Peragon or RetraxPro type covers but it has the major advantage of not taking up bed real estate. Also sits much more flush than they do which I like.

I also clay barred and waxed 1/3 of the truck but then ran out of time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

afen posted:

Dude this is so awesome. Can we get some more pics and some details?

glyph
Apr 6, 2006

afen posted:

What the gently caress is this image host.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

One that doesn't support https.

Right click, open image in new tab (or whatever is the most similar in your browser).

Luxrage, any chance of ordering another frame and trimming the top a bit to clear the bulbs?
e: oh poo poo, I thought that was just plastic, didn't realize it was real wood. Might be able to do that anyway, but you'd have to seal it afterwards.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

One that doesn't support https.

Right click, open image in new tab (or whatever is the most similar in your browser).

Luxrage, any chance of ordering another frame and trimming the top a bit to clear the bulbs?
e: oh poo poo, I thought that was just plastic, didn't realize it was real wood. Might be able to do that anyway, but you'd have to seal it afterwards.

I was looking into that, I could definitely seal it myself, the only thing would be getting it cut properly. I don't really have any tools on me for woodwork at my current place. It has an aluminum back plate you attach to the frame that the license plate screws go through. I'd have to cut that down as well to match, but I know someone who can do that for me at his work (they just can't do woodwork stuff)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I drove the 2.5 hours each way to Bakersfield (ugh) for a new rear window for the Rocky. Someone had already gotten it, but I did buy all the carpets, front seats, rear seats, and a bunch of little stuff to make it a bit less like a ranch truck and more like something I can drive the kids around on the street.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Commie posted:

I drove the 2.5 hours each way to Bakersfield (ugh) for a new rear window for the Rocky. Someone had already gotten it, but I did buy all the carpets, front seats, rear seats, and a bunch of little stuff to make it a bit less like a ranch truck and more like something I can drive the kids around on the street.

I can't find the pic but there was an absolutely mint Rocky parked by my dentist last summer and I always thought of you when I was driving by it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Finally got PO's dumb fart can catback off my WRX and replaced it with a stockish setup. One of the bolts sheared off but having launched a freshly sheared exhaust stud into my face before I had already bought some fresh fittings just in case.

I mostly made the switch because the noise was just the very worst of over emphasized boxer burbling, but the car actually seems to run much better with the stock pipes.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Went autocrossing in the Challenger and after my abysmal first run managed to drop 39 seconds to be within 4 seconds of the class winner on my first event. No way near any of the non novice drivers in modified Miatas and CRXs but it finally let me drive the car hard and by my 6th and last run of the day had figured out that the steering was too slow by itself so had to steer using the throttle. Not sure if I will do it again in the Challenger or wait until I have some space and pick up something that will be cheap to run and more competitive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

DJ Commie posted:

How is owning one of those? When we were looking for a Samurai we found this one on eBay and thought it was pretty excellent but were put off by just how rare the things are.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Rhyno posted:

Dude this is so awesome. Can we get some more pics and some details?

Here's a picture of the lathe. It's been sitting outside, but I'm only "paying" a couple of bottles of whisky for it. I got the compressor for free because it had a cracked cylinder. Paid a welder $100 to get it together again. Gonna try it tomorrow, hope it works!

glyph posted:

What the gently caress is this image host.

My basement server. I need port 443 for SSH so I can connect to it while I'm at work.

Edit: I've reuploaded the photos to imgur.

afen fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 10, 2017

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Ok but can you see that the images aren't visible for anyone unless they copy and paste the URL somewhere else? Why not use https://www.imgur.com

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They work on mobile.

:shrug:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
That's probably not a good thing.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I don't do mobile often, but on my PC they don't show up.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
nevermind

Anagram of GINGER fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 10, 2017

Torn Quad Jones
Nov 2, 2011
I drove it then the low speed fan decided it didn't like being a singular being and split taking out my rad.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Got the subframe pulled from my Focus -

After fighting last week with a stuck M14 bolt the rest went relatively smoothly today, all fasteners came out without much fuss. It was actually more of a challenge to get the tie rods to clear the swaybars while pulling the subframe out.

Main objective was to cut out the rear motor mount bolt which had seized inside its metal bushing and could not be removed by any other method, now I'll have to source another one.

Also got the control arms removed, surprisingly the bushings on those and the swaybar were in good condition despite being 15 years old/150,000+ original miles. I'll need to replace the shocks & struts as soon as I can afford to do so but the factory original balljoints are done and I'm hoping this will eliminate an on again/off again front end shimmy.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Replaced the flasher relay and fixed the 245s turn signals, also replaced the driver's door exterior handle. So nice to not have to open the rear door and reach forward to get into it. Two steps closer to inspectable status.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KakerMix posted:

How is owning one of those? When we were looking for a Samurai we found this one on eBay and thought it was pretty excellent but were put off by just how rare the things are.

They're actually really well made, I'd say some things better than the tracker and nothing worse. The whole frame is box sections and is double wishbone IFS. The headgaskets like to go on them at about 200K miles if you don't keep good coolant in them and make sure the hoses don't leak. I like mine, and if I want to actually do some *real* offroading, I can use my brother's bobbed exo-skeleton 85 Toyota on 37s. The Rocky usually carries the camping stuff. If you like the late 80s Toyota build quality, it isn't far off. It has MAP sensor batch fire injection with no throttle position other than idle/WOT switches and barely has any lambda correction. It has a .78 5th gear and 5.29 gears, and on stock 28s, it runs around 4000RPM at 70mph. I have 31s and some cheap ProComp shocks and a disconnected front anti-roll bar. Otherwise, nothing fancy.

Their engine makes a Charade pretty quick on a track, that's for sure!

DJ Commie fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Apr 11, 2017

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm replacing the Bridgestone RE71R 255/45-17 square set on my S2000 with Nexen NFeras in the same 255/45-17 size. They are the same compound as the Hankook RS3v2, are dead cheap, and are very close to the RE71R in grip/performance.

Well, measured the tire and they are 10.5" wide... while the RE71R is 10" wide. This should be fun :v:

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Added some vinyl decoration to my Charger's c-pillar. Probably should get some racing stripes or whatnot on the front so I don't look like a cop at first glance. New summer tires and wheels arrived today too, I'll get those on at some point when I'm not feeling lazy.

EDIT:

New wheels and summer tires.

IronDoge fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 14, 2017

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.
Got some new wheels.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
In preparing to dismantle the majority of the cooling system and the front of the engine, I need to bring it in to a local shop that can safely discharge the a/c system first.
So today, I started it up and moved it for the first time in a month. It fired right up without a jump-start and surprisingly only lost a small amount of coolant from when I had last ran it a few weeks ago.
The brake rotors are full of enough flash rust to cause the brakes to stick when I first moved it, but should be fine after some burnishing. I just need to make sure to pack an extra gallon or two of water and hope for the best as it isn't too long of a trip and not too far from work.

I'm leaving early anyway in hopes to avoid the rush hour traffic. :ohdear:

---

E: UPDATE: Made it to the A/C shop safely without incident, and I got a call from the guy a short time later saying there's no need to discharge the system because it's ALREADY EMPTY. :wth:

I haven't used the A/C since I removed the belt last year because of the bad clutch bearing in the compressor, and everything was still working at that time despite the horrible squealing noises.
The leak was traced back to the condenser line broken off inside the fitting at the dryer, which by design looks like it was meant to fail in this exact way.
Now I'm considering just removing the a/c altogether, I'm more than used to not having it and I really would rather not spend any more money on this thing right now. :shepicide:

It's hard to get a good pic of the condenser while it's still in the car, but this should give some idea of the genius involved here:

Root Bear fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 14, 2017

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Swapped back to the stock 3.23 diff, used my patented diff installation tool

(I need to stop hoarding LSDs)

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Gave the Audi a wash and put on the summer tires.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

afen posted:

Gave the Audi a wash and put on the summer tires.

Are those speedlines? Even if they aren't I loving love that style and wish they weren't always 3k+ on Porsches.

On a related note, washed the 968 decently for the first time and got the SSK adjusted well enough but had to cut it a little because it couldn't adjust close enough to stock lengths to prevent grinding. I'm unimpressed by the design in practice even if it's well made. Now it's ready for summer and next winter will be bodywork and respray because man there's a lot of tiny scrapes and dents but 200k miles will do that. Also the windshield needs replacement due to a crack and general overall fine pitting from the mileage. Also put on the 968 registry window cling which is probably the most significant thing done today tied with polishing off some plastic from someone rubbing the 911's rear bumper, thankfully the super wax job protected it.

Bonus father-in-law checking it out

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Finished the autocross prep by swapping back to the stock steering rack. Pro-tier steering wheel lock.

And tires also showed up.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I swapped on the summer tires after failing to change the oil.
Tarrandus and her summer shoes by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The drain plug must have been put in with locktite or a lot of torque by the shop that did my oil change last time. I could not turn that thing, and I ended up rounding the nut with my clumsy efforts.
After I changed the front tires I got the jack stuck under the front diff and had to put it back up and fiddle with my jackstands to get it out and the truck back on the ground.
Stuck jack by Martin Brummell, on Flickr

The rear was much easier and went smoothly.

I also discovered that my "summer" tires are actually winter-rated all-seasons, with the M+S notation on the front pair (Goodyear Wranglers, decent tread left but certainly on their last summer due to other patterns of wear that I think are sorted out and not likely to get much worse) and the mountain snowflake symbol on the rears (some other brand I can't remember, with more tread and generally in better shape because I bought them new at the beginning of summer 2016).

I put more thought into my truck in winter mode, because loving up on snow and ice is worse (to me) than any misadventures I'm likely to get into in the months of poor snowmobiling. That's why the summers are on steelies and the winters (Toyos I'm more-or-less happy with, 2 winters done and looking very good still) are on the alloys that came with my truck when I bought her. My budget is terrible right now but I'm thinking about next year and getting some specialist-summer tires that will strike a better balance between the highway driving I seem to do so much of and the dirt / gravel / rain / mud that I enjoy so much more.

Also, a better jack. Apartment living plus temporary contract work on the Academic career path means such luxuries are not in my immediate future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Jymmybob posted:

Are those speedlines? Even if they aren't I loving love that style and wish they weren't always 3k+ on Porsches.

They're Keskin KT2s. I've been looking for some BBS LM or OZ Futura rims, but they're rarer than rocking horse poo poo in the fitment I need.