Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
All you knucklehead's is about to become Knocked Prone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
:siren: New one :siren:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Pretty safe assumption, considering the ship.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
You know I do like semi-competent Elan.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

That high three, man.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

That was a good one! Laughed out loud, hah. I enjoyed hi three a bit too much

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rumda posted:

I was just thinking that. That was real smooth going in for the heal rather than trying to make a brave stand on his own.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I dreamt last night that Belkar was running around chasing some monsters or something and he lost his weapon. He was turning corners in a dungeon or something and that's when he met Justin Trudeau and he asked him if he had some weapons for him. Justin then brought out some ninja stars out of his suit and gave them to him. Belkar and me thought that was pretty badass.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Rumda posted:

His entire build is optimized for saving the day at the last possible second!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

AnoHito posted:

Pretty safe assumption, considering the ship.

You just know it has like five times as many ropes as it needs for this exact purpose.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

tripwood posted:

I dreamt last night that Belkar was running around chasing some monsters or something and he lost his weapon. He was turning corners in a dungeon or something and that's when he met Justin Trudeau and he asked him if he had some weapons for him. Justin then brought out some ninja stars out of his suit and gave them to him. Belkar and me thought that was pretty badass.

Cool.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

tripwood posted:

Spoiler tags man

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

tripwood posted:

Is that one of the bonus pdfs?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Last update I really thought Elan was going to wind up fighting the giant but oh man this is so much better. Kind of a short strip but lots of funny packed in. Even the title got a laugh because on that ship you know drat well it's true.

And it's such a Roy thing to think about the actual purpose of the ropes in the first place, you know most PCs would be on Elan's side of things there.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 11, 2017

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Alright so it being this strip

What are the odds that next strip, it was actually an important rope after all

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Shugojin posted:

Alright so it being this strip

What are the odds that next strip, it was actually an important rope after all

50/50.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Order of the Stick 1071 The Other Half

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah I'm really stuck on that because on the one hand the setup is so perfect, but on the other Rich sometimes likes to set things up perfectly just to not take them.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/851625344599814145

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zoe posted:

And it's such a Roy thing to think about the actual purpose of the ropes in the first place
ARCHITECTURE AND ENGINEERING

Really, I love that this never enters into Roy's character in any way, he could be a guy who always wanted to study eingineering but things didn't work out and he was forced to take up swords, or his family could all be architects; like 95% of players would probably make a backstory like that to justify why they have that skill, but Roy is on the exact career path he wants to be and just happens to be super good at architecture/engineering as well.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If you're going to spend your time crawling around ancient dungeons and assorted ruins, you'd want someone there that knows when a structure is unsafe to enter or just how much weight that rotting bridge can carry before it collapses.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Roy's Architecture Backstory: I find it neat and it's a hobby.

Edit: though there could easily be a comic from long ago I forget that did actually explain it. I tend to skip the beginning on rereads and start around the Azure City chapters

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 11, 2017

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

World Famous W posted:

Roy's Architecture Backstory: I find it neat and it's a hobby.

Edit: though there could easily be a comic from long ago I forget that did actually explain it. I tend to skip the beginning on rereads and start around the Azure City chapters

He minored in Architecture in Fighter College. I want to say that he said that somewhere early-middle of the Western Continent arc.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Maybe he plans to build his own dungeon when he retires. :v:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Looking through the Archives (because it was bugging me), I found this nice line from Nale:http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0362.html Last panel.

Yes, I would imagine it is, nale.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I sure do hope Rich is okay :ohdear:

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?
My headcanon is that Roy picked architecture as a backup career. It's practical (he could pursue it if being a fighter didn't pan out, or he got maimed or something at a low level and couldn't afford a restoration spell). And "using the laws of physics as intended" is almost as good of a career choice in terms of spiting his dad.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
My immediate thought reading that is "if he can't get a job raiding dungeons, he can get a job making them."

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I only hope it somehow comes into play with Xykon's magic phylactery hiding dungeon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I only hope it somehow comes into play with Xykon's magic phylactery hiding dungeon.

I feel like a large, overly complicated dungeon playing any roll in the end game is unlikely, because it'll gently caress up the dramatic tension.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

I'm dumbfounded that there are still people who think that Xykon's fortress is going to come into play at all.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Soup du Jour posted:

I'm dumbfounded that there are still people who think that Xykon's fortress is going to come into play at all.

It's happening in the same week as the next ASoIaF book, guaranteed.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Soup du Jour posted:

Modern media consumers are all Pavlov's dog for Chekhov's gun.

We hear the bell ringing for anything introduced in a story and eagerly start drooling for it to come back.

See: the poisoned arrow, Miko's corpse

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I don't see HOW it can come into play since a) the Order doesn't know about it and b) Xykon's phylactery isn't actually in it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
If you were to protect your thingy inside a Tomb of Horrors type dungeon suspending in a different plane, what realistically would have a solid shot at getting it if you angered enough people? Would Inevitables be able to brush off the dungeon?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

Raenir Salazar posted:

If you were to protect your thingy inside a Tomb of Horrors type dungeon suspending in a different plane, what realistically would have a solid shot at getting it if you angered enough people? Would Inevitables be able to brush off the dungeon?

Inevitables would get owned hard by a ToH style dungeon. They're good at bashing, not at thinking, and they'd wipe at the end of the middle hall.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ikanreed posted:

See: the poisoned arrow, Miko's corpse
I always feel like Miko's corpse was pretty specific to a medium in which necromancy is Totally A Thing.

Shugojin posted:

I don't see HOW it can come into play since a) the Order doesn't know about it and b) Xykon's phylactery isn't actually in it
The Order isn't exactly known for going straight to the places where solutions to their problems are, though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Yeah, while the arrow thing was a little silly, it actually flows fairly well in print? And then Miko's body was A Thing That Needs To Be Adressed since, if you don't remember, Xykon literally makes a joke about killing and reanimating her to see what kind of obscure undead she makes. Expecting that to come back around to relevance was totally reasonable.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Rich even poked fun at it in the comic when Tsukiko was talking about how she was totally gonna make the best custom undead ever and it would have red and black armor and flames of unlife and then... oh not that one I need a whole corpse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
RE: the fortress, to quote myself from a year or four back:

sfwarlock posted:

I can imagine, however, the comic will finish with (...) Roy putting together a new team and going off to investigate what he thinks is the hiding place of Xykon's phylactery. That extradimensional fortress provides a nice plausible way to have Roy continue having adventures while letting the readers know that the main story (the defeat of Xykon) is done.