Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

El Burbo posted:

Man I'm pretty lucky. The first time I encountered that shrine the blood moon was already in the process of happening. Though in the process of climbing the thing up to Kass to get the quest, it struck midnight so I did have to load an earlier save to be able to unlock the shrine before talking to Kass.

I've heard (note that I have not done this shrine so this is hearsay) that that shrine sticks around for an hour or two-ish after the Blood Moon or even possibly the rest of the night? So it's not suuuuuper critical if you don't notice it exactly at 10:00 or whenever it is the moon rises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

GobiasIndustries posted:

Of course the last shrine I find is the blood moon one. Is there anything I can do to trigger one?

The time window during which a blood moon is active (and therefore when this quest can be completed) is from 9:00 PM until 1:00 AM

If you miss it, you can always revert back to an earlier auto save and make your way over there

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of armor, is it worth it to get the ancient / guardian armor from Robbie and his robot waifu? That's a lot of ancient parts I need to grind out (mainly gears, so many gears). Money is trivial now that I know how to almost always get a strike in the bowling game.

Hell yes. It makes you look like a Moebius character; who doesn't want to be in a cool French comic?

Another useful place for farming Guardian parts is the Forbidden Temple, BTW. Handy tip: run like gently caress to get to the back, then work your way forward again.

The Lobster posted:

I've heard (note that I have not done this shrine so this is hearsay) that that shrine sticks around for an hour or two-ish after the Blood Moon or even possibly the rest of the night? So it's not suuuuuper critical if you don't notice it exactly at 10:00 or whenever it is the moon rises.

Yes. If you've got the Satori Mt shrine unlocked you can teleport there as soon as you hear the blood moon music and you'll have time to glide/climb to the pedestal and activate it.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 10, 2017

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

Yeah I've still got a bunch of side quests to finish, and find all the people that give some of those shrine quests just to fill out that completion, it just sucks that I didn't find it when I had like, 30 or so additional shrines left to find.

e:

That's what I've been doing :) Went near the castle and slaughtered a bunch of Guardians, then stumbled upon a bunch of random small enemies and a Hinox so far.

Keep in mind if you want to guarantee the delayed Blood Moon, you have to be in the castle proper to properly postpone it. If the music is playing and your map has changed, you're safe.

Alternately, just keep your eye on the time. The moon rises at 10pm every night and if it's a Blood Moon, it will already be red when it peeks over the horizon.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Runcible Cat posted:

Hell yes. It makes you look like a Moebius character; who doesn't want to be in a cool French comic?

Another useful place for farming Guardian parts is the Forbidden Temple, BTW. Handy tip: run like gently caress to get to the back, then work your way forward again.
Those dont drop Cores do they? I've killed a bunch of half-broken Guardians and I've never gotten a Core from one. I have a god drat shitload of every Spring/Shaft/Gear to last me a lifetime, just need Cores :argh:

What's the best way to get Cores, Major Tests of Strength and/or go run in the front of Hyrule Castle?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Dunno if this was a fluke or not but I had one of the Guardians on the coast near the Akkala tech lab drop three at once.

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

Xaris posted:

What's the best way to get Cores, Major Tests of Strength and/or go run in the front of Hyrule Castle?

Probably. Again a chance for some under the Lomei Labyrinth, too. I think a guy sells one just outside of Hateno, too.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Astro7x posted:

The time window during which a blood moon is active (and therefore when this quest can be completed) is from 9:00 PM until 1:00 AM

What's the benefit of cooking during a blood moon? Does it make all your meals critical successes?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just had my first hardlock after like 200 hours in the game. Was in eventide and link just locked into place while running up a hill in mid-run, everything else was still moving, just not him. Thank christ for autosaves!

Edit: gently caress, it only autosaved at the very start of eventide :argh:

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Apr 10, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Just had my first hardlock after like 200 hours in the game. Was in eventide and link just locked into place while running up a hill in mid-run, everything else was still moving, just not him. Thank christ for autosaves!

I hope that was post-eventide completion, given the hour count.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Noooope

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Captain Invictus posted:

Edit: gently caress, it only autosaved at the very start of eventide :argh:

Eventide is cakewalk with urbosa's fury.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As I just learned, yeah. Doesn't matter if you're going up against a hinox with a boko spear if you've got three furies in the chamber

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I used the magnet tool to bash that thing's head in while he was climbing up the hill. It was awesome

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Found a weapon you can spin? Against all Hinox you will win.

Found a weapon you can thrust? From the backside is a must.

Found a weapon you can only swing? Mipha's grace will soon sing.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 10, 2017

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I just farmed every major test just now and like all but one dropped cores. Got a maxed out ancient armor set not and a ton of ancient weapons :getin:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

glassyalabolas posted:

Eventide is cakewalk with urbosa's fury.

It's even easier if you just cheat it drop weapons / good before getting off the raft and they'll still be there. Remember to drop them again before dropping the third ball or you'll lose them

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Eventide was a good idea but not really great execution

If it was for like 3-4 trials on the one island and appropriately fleshed out more it'd be better rather than the one kinda wet farty instance for the one shrine

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Xaris posted:

Those dont drop Cores do they? I've killed a bunch of half-broken Guardians and I've never gotten a Core from one. I have a god drat shitload of every Spring/Shaft/Gear to last me a lifetime, just need Cores :argh:

No, turret guardians never drop cores of any size, just parts. I think tests of strength are your best bet, plus some of those have cores/giant cores as prizes.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Reinanigans posted:

Beat the game last night, one question I still have, does Link's Triforce brand ever appear in the game? And for that matter, do they even specifically mention the Triforce? I know it appears both times Zelda uses her powers, and on architecture and whatnot, but I think that's it?

Also kind of bummed the Master Sword wasn't really a requirement for the last blow. Does whatever horse you have at the top of your list just appear in Hyrule Field at the end? I had actually ridden Epona to that exact spot, and was wondering if everyone else got a horse at that point. What happens if you don't have a horse registered at all?

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on this.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Major tests of strength aren't hard as long as you've got some guardian weapons, and then eat 5x cooked mighty bananas beforehand.

I just need to remember where all the major tests of strength are at...

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Reinanigans posted:

Wondering if anyone had thoughts on this.

I had the same observation -- it's definitely conspicuous that the triforce isn't mentioned at all when it's a mcguffin for like half the series. I just take it as a hint that this Zelda is so far into the future that even core parts of the legend are starting to fade from collective memory. It also serves as meta commentary on how this Zelda presents a strong break with series tradition.

I've watched a couple speedruns where people don't get a horse before they fight Ganon, and it looks like the game just spawns a random one for you.

I was also disappointed that the Master Sword wasn't more important for taking down Ganon. Hell, the Divine Beasts just chop his health in half, big whoop. IMO Ganon should have been way more difficult and required a fundamentally more tricky strategy to defeat if you didn't spend dozens of hours assembling your ~squad~.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Even if you can perfectly parry every guardian the castle itself is still full of powerful enemies that will one shot a fresh character, so unless your amazing at fighting them you will die a ton there.

Now if you can perfectly parry every guardians and win every fight flawlessly, why shouldn't you be able to go straight to the Castle and kick rear end? The game isn't an RPG where you grind enemies for hours to make your numbers bigger.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I was guardian hunting outside hyrule castle and expanded my hunt a bit to the hyrule garrison, killed a stalker and suddenly a regular ol' orange bokoblin on a horse rode up on me and was shooting me with arrows, I reacted by reflexively shooting him with an arrow, forgetting for a moment that I had ancient arrows equipped.

Turns out shooting regular bokoblins with ancient arrows straight up vaporizes them. No drops. Just evaporated right off the horse.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

That works on every non-guardian, non-boss enemy too!

Even lynels.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Captain Invictus posted:

I was guardian hunting outside hyrule castle and expanded my hunt a bit to the hyrule garrison, killed a stalker and suddenly a regular ol' orange bokoblin on a horse rode up on me and was shooting me with arrows, I reacted by reflexively shooting him with an arrow, forgetting for a moment that I had ancient arrows equipped.

Turns out shooting regular bokoblins with ancient arrows straight up vaporizes them. No drops. Just evaporated right off the horse.

I like to do this to the Yiga. :getin:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAehpiX3s0

We know how to kill them now.

No longer will man be ruled over by cuccoo.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
One of the many little touches I love in this game: the fact that each of the special battle themes (Hinox, Guardian, Talus) have endings that perfectly coincide with their respective monster's death animation. I think my favorite is the Guardian's theme. I love the way the piano goes crazy at the end. It feels like the musical equivalent of a computer going "ERROR, ERROR, FATAL ERROR, ALL SYSTEMS FAILING, MAIN CORE OVERLOAD, CRITICAL MALFUNC--"

Kaboom. :cool:

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

acksplode posted:

I had the same observation -- it's definitely conspicuous that the triforce isn't mentioned at all when it's a mcguffin for like half the series. I just take it as a hint that this Zelda is so far into the future that even core parts of the legend are starting to fade from collective memory. It also serves as meta commentary on how this Zelda presents a strong break with series tradition.

I've watched a couple speedruns where people don't get a horse before they fight Ganon, and it looks like the game just spawns a random one for you.

I was also disappointed that the Master Sword wasn't more important for taking down Ganon. Hell, the Divine Beasts just chop his health in half, big whoop. IMO Ganon should have been way more difficult and required a fundamentally more tricky strategy to defeat if you didn't spend dozens of hours assembling your ~squad~.

Is there a text dump of the script somewhere? I wonder if somebody's done a Ctrl F for Triforce cuz I don't think it was ever said ingame

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kazy posted:

I like to do this to the Yiga. :getin:

An ancient arrow is better than they deserve.

I just ignore them and teleport/ride/fly away. They are beneath me.

(Though I did ice-arrow one because a little kid wanted a look at his sword.)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyKTlOfFXI8

Woohoo, Alex from NintendoLife read my comment! (7:35) He's such a lovely person. We're all lovely people.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Finally at the Yiga hideout and I can confirm this really is some serious bullshit. I've been spotted through walls 3/3 failed attempts so far. This is the last thing between me and ending the game and I haven't been frustrated by anything yet. Never made it this far in a game and still had a near perfect opinion of it and this is really testing my patience.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Is there any way to tell how long I have been playing this game. I'm legitimately curious, no game has consumed my attention like this in a very long time.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wildtortilla posted:

Finally at the Yiga hideout and I can confirm this really is some serious bullshit. I've been spotted through walls 3/3 failed attempts so far. This is the last thing between me and ending the game and I haven't been frustrated by anything yet. Never made it this far in a game and still had a near perfect opinion of it and this is really testing my patience.

Think I'm going to repeat what a previous poster said but I found the Yiga plan to be pretty simple: gale jump onto the rafters, collect your mighty bananas, stasis the guy at the entrance and run to the boss? Maybe I missed something but I did get the helm.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Got that Blood Moon to finally pop after ~3 in-game days of mercilessly slaughtering every monster I encountered. Basically just fast-traveled around the map to where I'd marked Hinox, Talus, Molduga, and Lynel encounters. So...now I guess it's finishing off armor upgrades, dying my armor, finding the remaining side quests, and screwing around looking for Koroks every once in a while.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Copper Vein posted:

It is kinda dumb that as soon as you get off the plateau, you can grab a pot lid and clear out every guardian around the castle with very little risk and no resources spent.

It's actually very cool because you don't know that at first. Only after you learn the skills required to beat a guardian are you like "oh, the shield doesn't matter, it's all in the technique". Which is awesome assuming you don't have it spoiled for you first.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah I didn't know about parrying guardians until past the halfway point and even then I didn't have the technique down so they still killed me so I still avoided the hell out of them. It wasn't until I stormed the castle that I was forced to faced them. It was loving awesome.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont even bother parrying guardians

i just shoot them in their eyes to stun them and go to town

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

TFRazorsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEAehpiX3s0

We know how to kill them now.

No longer will man be ruled over by cuccoo.

For some reason cuccos just disappear when you put them into any kind of water, but they're basically immune to everything else. I offered one to the spring of wisdom once.

Also if you're not getting a blood moon you can go out, kill everything in your path first, then go back to get the cucco and safely walk him to your destination (aside from the stupid yigas).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Game needs a horse DLC that lets me keep the lord of the moutain or bears as mounts.