Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

The broomsticks they ride around on make vroom vroom noises too.
so do hibiki's legs but symphogear isnt a car ad!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Did Pleiades not get picked up by any of the major streaming sites or something? I remember it hardly even getting noticed.

Also Nanoha is a car ad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was on CR, no one watched it because of the car ad stuff, magical girl shows not being super popular here and the first few episodes being pretty slow.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
its on crunchy, but it started as a series of 4 minute web shorts on youtube and the fact that it was getting a full anime was advertised approximately nowhere, so a lot of people didnt even realize it had evolved beyond those shorts

didnt help that it was a post-trigger gainax show at a time when the popular conception was that gainax was basically a zombie of a studio. also a lot of people assumed it was way more of a car ad than it was, because the shorts were pretty car-heavy.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I didn't realize that aspect was a turnoff for people, I just thought it was funny since it wasn't something I picked up on at first glance. same with lagrange's mechs being designed by a car manufacturer.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I watched the 4 minute shorts, which were ok!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sounds like I'll have to add it to my list at some point then.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

I watched the 4 minute shorts, which were ok!
watch the tv series, which is good

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Endorph posted:

for instance, it was the lesbian's fault for being gay, which is why she hung and pissed herself

Did you actually watch the show? Because there were several things she had to screw up to get to that point, none of which had to do with her being a lesbian.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
good things about pleiades:

probably the best straight romance ive seen in any magical girl series. it's sweet and sincere and the girl is active in it and it's never really played for laughs. and the boy's actually a cute character on his own.
the animation is pretty good, especially at the start and towards the end. Saeki is pretty much Gainax's only remaining star but he's a pretty strong director, and he directed some episodes of cardcaptor sakura and so clearly knows the beats and visual cues of a good magical girl story.
the character designs are all very appealing.
the villain looks like julius from fire emblem 4.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Did you actually watch the show? Because there were several things she had to screw up to get to that point, none of which had to do with her being a lesbian.

She tried to make friends, Then her lover died because of it, then she hung herself. Such is the nature of karma.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Namtab posted:

She tried to make friends, Then her lover died because of it, then she hung herself. Such is the nature of karma.

she drank too much soda, which weakened her bladder. such is the nature of piss.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

she drank too much soda, which weakened her bladder. such is the nature of piss.

It don't matter how strong ur bladder is when ur dead and the camera lingers on your piss

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Namtab posted:

Yes, let's walk right into the base of the people who have been trying to murder everyone. This is clearly not the most obvious trap in history that people tried to tell you was a bad idea. Clearly my lover dying due to my own stupid assurance that this group of backstabbing murderers is at all trustworthy is not at all my fault.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnoHito posted:

Yes, let's walk right into the base of the people who have been trying to murder everyone. This is clearly not the most obvious trap in history that people tried to tell you was a bad idea. Clearly my lover dying due to my own stupid assurance that this group of backstabbing murderers is at all trustworthy is not at all my fault.

She wanted to be friends, she was full of piss and vinegar

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I'm a big fan of Precure, but Kira Kira has completely lost me. I like Akira and Yukari, but there's absolutely no stakes yet and Ichika, Aoi, and Himari aren't holding my interest.

Oh well. I guess I'll finally watch Splash Star.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AnoHito posted:

yeah, it was like she was taking the piss with that one

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Motto posted:

Symphogear, it's good

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Have we seen the promo for AXZ?

Why did they give Tsubasa another bike?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Have we seen the promo for AXZ?

Why did they give Tsubasa another bike?
i like that she even crashes her bike in the op of gx

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I hope AXZ brings the heels gag back. I don't think GX made any heels jokes.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
stop this woman before she kills another

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Pi pirupiru piru pi piru pi

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'm a big fan of Precure, but Kira Kira has completely lost me. I like Akira and Yukari, but there's absolutely no stakes yet and Ichika, Aoi, and Himari aren't holding my interest.

Oh well. I guess I'll finally watch Splash Star.

I was that way with GPP too but then Cure Scarlet happened and reinvigorated the show :v:

I need to finish Splash Star some day

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Aurora posted:

I was that way with GPP too but then Cure Scarlet happened and reinvigorated the show :v:

I need to finish Splash Star some day

Messing with people's dreams may not be the darkest option possible, but DysDark had more going for them than ruining people's sweets.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

I like that her wand is actually a candy cane

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

TFRazorsaw posted:

Messing with people's dreams may not be the darkest option possible, but DysDark had more going for them than ruining people's sweets.

If someone hosed with my cake I'd be upset

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool

Aurora posted:

If someone hosed with my cake I'd be upset

relatable, but unsurprisingly, it gets old when you do this over and over with villains that are more interchangeable than Precure villains already are.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009
ive mentioned this before but kirakira also really lacks any sense of place or believability. not that other precure series are heartfelt familial dramas but you get a sense of the world actually existing and get to know the character's lives outside of magical girl stuff - their families, their dreams, their hopes for the future, etc. in kirakira every episode is pretty much totally unrelated to anything and it's just 22 minutes of the girls goofing around and beating up a baddy before making a sweet, there's basically no 'daily life' element.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I mean, Smile is mostly one off episodes and goofing around, but you still got a sense of who these girls were and what they were all about and they were likable and you wanted to root for them.

Kirakira looked like it was gonna have that with Ichika's missing her mother and stuff like Himari's self doubt but then they proceeded not to mention any of that at all for the next 10 episodes.

I don't need a sense that most episodes are connected to a bigger whole like Dokidoki and Princess did a lot, but Kirakira feels like... I dunno. Everything is secondary to the baking theme, it feels like. Cooking is more important than the girls themselves and saving the world.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~
Mirakurun full series when?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOQKOc4a2AQ

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I was originally was worried about making the precure into a generic "girly princess" type of thing but god drat was I wrong.

(I still don't really like the Elegant Mode designs though. Also Mermaid's hair has always bothered me)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
If you don't like Mermaid's hair we can't be friends.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I like Twinkle and Flora's hair way better :(

(and of course Scarlet)

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
It is a leviathan that will CONSUME ALL.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Endorph posted:

pleiades is really really good and it's disappointing that people just call it a 'car ad show' when it's got really sweet characters and a great romance and the 'car ad' stuff is just 'the main girl is named subaru'

Wish Upon the Pleiades is one of my favorite shows (but please don't let a recommendation from reviled scum like me stop you from watching it). Other than their magic flying sticks looking similar to driveshafts, and the character Subaru's name, there is only about a one minute conversation with Subaru and her parents where her dad uses a car part analogy to make his point.

The animation is pretty drat good, and without spoiling too much, what they show in relation to astronomy was pretty accurate.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and it was real weird. It gave me like a mix of GaoGaiGar and, I dunno, Mai Hime or something vibes, but without any buildup. It's just full throttle craziness in a kind of retro way. Does this show calm down a little?

I guess I was expecting a show about :angel::glomp::sparkles::palmon: and instead I got :black101::gibs::science::rory::kamina:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cephas posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and it was real weird. It gave me like a mix of GaoGaiGar and, I dunno, Mai Hime or something vibes, but without any buildup. It's just full throttle craziness in a kind of retro way. Does this show calm down a little?

I guess I was expecting a show about :angel::glomp::sparkles::palmon: and instead I got :black101::gibs::science::rory::kamina:

it gets a lot lighter in the next few episodes, it's still super actiony and has a few brutal moments but it gets a lot brighter and goofier on the whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Some of the best parts of Symphogear are the little shorts in the BDs