Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

emoji posted:

The mechanic is good because it makes the game more interesting. They have more modules (which is good because there are empty slots on the cyclops) like a shield system which looks badass so there is basically no risk that you get destroyed by low level creatures. It's fine to criticize the game but that's not what's happening here. Read the posts on this page, you can see the blood vessels nearly popping in half the posters. They should try easy mode or just make their stuff invincible using the console.

emoji posted:

The solution is reload your game so the knife reappears in your inventory at 0% and is now invincible.

emoji posted:

I think you can bump up the knife damage by like a million with console and hit it once.

Crafting new knives and stabbing things more than once is busywork. Building new cyclopes and playing whack-a-mole with fires and damage because a couple mosquitos took a bite out of your cyclops is totally a fun mechanic that will never get old.

A FYAD poster is being an aggressive dick? Whaaaat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yall are being ridiculously hyperbolic. "A couple mosquitos" aren't gonna take out your cyclops. Even in the demo, before they make any adjustments based on playtesting, he had to spawn in several mid level predators, get them angry and intentionally let them gnaw on the ship to show off the system. He was also using a console command to damage the sub at the same time. Let your voice be heard since we're still in the Beta, but freaking out like this just makes you look dumb/crazy.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Funnily enough, the red texts from Negrotown are almost exclusively bought by someone who hates the idea of the thread/forum existing and is just trying to stir up infighting.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Zesty Crab Legs posted:

Crafting new knives and stabbing things more than once is busywork. Building new cyclopes and playing whack-a-mole with fires and damage because a couple mosquitos took a bite out of your cyclops is totally a fun mechanic that will never get old.

A FYAD poster is being an aggressive dick? Whaaaat?

The knife posts were a joke about an inventory bug and a suggestion for an actual reaper spawning bug that has since been fixed it seems. Not sure how pointing out that page after page of whining about the same issue (which won't actually break the game) is tiring is being aggressive? I haven't singled anyone out or kept replying to anyone that didn't needlessly attack me first while ignoring the points I already made - that there are already solutions if you still want godmode, the cyclops won't be so easily destroyed, and that it takes more time to decide how to decorate one room than to get the materials for a cyclops.

Also from what I've seen I'm pretty sure the contents of the cyclops are not actually destroyed.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

It's still a lovely idea. It's a future submarine, not an 8 foot aluminium kayak

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If Leviathans and other huge fauna can damge the cyclops that makes sense, as long as there are methods of evading or repelling them. The problem is that "going slower with the lights off" is a really boring way of doing this. I prefer something like a ridiculously looud horn.

I don't like the idea that the Cyclops can be completely destroyed at all. There is no circumstance in which I am going to go "Ah well, my cyclops died, better build a new one". It takes ages to build your first one, but it feels worth it because its such a significant step up from being tethered to a static base of operations. If I had to do it a second time because a crabsquid farted my first one to death, I would just stop playing.

Making bonesharks aggressive towards it is stupid. The reefbacks don't seem to attract any smaller predators, so there's no reason your enormous metal sub should.

I know there's a trend of Cynical Goon Opinions as soon as anything even looks slightly wrong with an early access game, but I don't see anyone who benefits from this change other than people who are into hardcore manage-your-meters survival games.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cicadalek posted:

If Leviathans and other huge fauna can damge the cyclops that makes sense, as long as there are methods of evading or repelling them. The problem is that "going slower with the lights off" is a really boring way of doing this. I prefer something like a ridiculously looud horn.

I don't like the idea that the Cyclops can be completely destroyed at all. There is no circumstance in which I am going to go "Ah well, my cyclops died, better build a new one". It takes ages to build your first one, but it feels worth it because its such a significant step up from being tethered to a static base of operations. If I had to do it a second time because a crabsquid farted my first one to death, I would just stop playing.

Making bonesharks aggressive towards it is stupid. The reefbacks don't seem to attract any smaller predators, so there's no reason your enormous metal sub should.

I know there's a trend of Cynical Goon Opinions as soon as anything even looks slightly wrong with an early access game, but I don't see anyone who benefits from this change other than people who are into hardcore manage-your-meters survival games.

A good sum up, yeah. A large draw, and distinction of the initially pitched and on the surface Subnautica, was an impressive amount of agency despite the whole "We don't want you to have 'weapons'" stance they are so wishy washy about. Despite all the obligatory bulletpoints of "It's a survival game in an unforgiving world!" because literally any open world game with a food meter has to say that, you are in a pretty good place outside of horrible bugs. Like the Devs admitting you are not supposed to be spawncamped in your lifepod (but of course, people on the brown sea will immediately follow up Dev post assuring frustrated players that's not intended gameplay, to instead Git Gud. Because gently caress what the Devs say if it means the game is easier/has more QoL)

Go from naked scuba man to seaglide. Less universally vulnerable.
Go from seaglide to Seamoth. Universally less vulnerable, and greater utility.
Previous Cyclops. Unversally less vulnerable, and even more utility.

New Cyclops meanwhile, is just vulnerability for it's own sake. To mark off some checklist object of "Uh, didn't you know that SURVIVAL games mean making GBS threads on anything that makes survival easier? :smug:". Where you're giant submarine, is less practical, and more vulnerable, that simply scooting around on your seaglide.

A lot of people like the old "You're not at the top of the foodchain" cliche statment, but that has never been true, and will not be true even with a Cyclops literally made of paper mache that dissolves in water.

Reaper grabs your Seamoth? You electrocute them, shoot missiles in their face, hop out of your sub to stasis it, carve your name into it's rear end with your knife. Then take a selfie titled "Humans aren't the top of the food chain" before getting back to what you were doing, because reapers are a loving joke once you tech up. As they should be, you are a sci-fi scuba man with a replicator. Not some bog standard hobo starting out with a rock or stone pickaxe at best.

Then you get back to your big ol Cyclops and find a couple tiny sharks have destroyed it. Roll laugh track.

A Nerfed Cyclops, will not actually make the game "Harder", or more "Risky". It will simply effect usage of the cyclops itself, and add more time padding based on however many saved trips for inventory offload or exosuit taxi service a more practical cyclops would have saved you. But people who defend it don't grasp this.

Kind of like all the people who keep screaming about fruits being OP but are perfectly fine with alien containment tanks. Containment tanks means infinite food and water, that comes in portable 1 tile large bits. But you have to throw it on the space BBQ first for each object. Plants suck compared to cooked/salted fish or boiling them into sports bottles, and are 2x2, AND rot super fast if you try to take it with you anyways... But since you can eat it right off the plant and save some UI button clicks? OMG too OP please Nerf.

They don't actually see difficulty. Or Risk vs reward. They only see things in terms of convenience vs inconvenience. Because even something like two competing sources of infinite food and water? They freak out over the weaker option that saves them some UI steps. Then go on to brag about how they power their bioreactors with fruit, even though a single peeper into one is worth several fruits for a fraction of the space.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 8, 2017

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
I think what grabs me the most as absurd about the Cyclops poo poo is like

Your sub is on fire and you are choking to death on toxic smoke. So you go run to put out fires, but that means your Cyclops stops moving because you're not at the helm. So while you're putting out fires so YOU DON'T loving DIE, you're still getting bodyslammed by bonesharks or whatever which causes more fires and so on and so forth

It's a bad mechanic

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
A simple fix to this is: Current Cyclops aggro values and vulnerability for Casual and Normal (non-survival) difficulty modes, new "I can't get enough of punching myself in the dick with studded brass knuckles" Cyclops aggro values and vulnerability for Survival and Hardcore.

One of our O Forums sacrifices can post this, but you're loving crazy if you think I'm touching an O Forum.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the game would be better if it was a sequence of survival challenges that you can progressively overcome. So to start you have to spend a lot of time finding basic food and water, but as you progress and do that for a while and get somewhere while doing it, you get to automate it away, which then facilitates the pursuit of greater challenges.

To an extent the game does that, but also to an extent, the game likes putting in "features" that make you very susceptible to losing major chunks of your progression and making you redo them, which is very counterproductive to an exploration game.

"No you explored wrong go back and do the last level again so you can have another go at exploring" is not good design, and the cyclops changes seem to be a substantial step towards that.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 8, 2017

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Steam forums are less insane. I started a thread about survival knife should not be destroyable by slicing fish with it and it had quite a lot of support.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
The devs have stated that the current vulnerability level of the cyclops is not what it will end up being. Stop freaking out about the possibility of a single boneshark sinking your cyclops.

"Silent running past giant predator" seems like a perfectly fine mechanic that adds tension and engagement with the environment.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If the developers want the player to feel vulnerable even after making the cyclops, they would be better off just restricting the deeper exploration areas to the smaller vehicles. The cyclops remains indestructible, but you cant get it into the deeper areas like the lava caves because either the openings are too small or the cyclops cant go that deep. The prawn and seamoth get a buff to their maximum depth, and now there's more of a purpose to putting armor and such on the smaller vehicles.I don't know if that's at all viable to do now sadly, since it would probably require the world design to be changed.

Bright Future
Oct 9, 2007

[let's] fuck that crazy-ass robot
Could make an additional vehicle the size of the seamoth but slower and heavily armored for deep exploration. I mostly hate the cyclops because it's clumsy to steer and you have to look through lovely cameras.

Mobile base is nice and all but the map is so small that it really isn't worth the bother unless you are forced into using it due to pressure.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I feel like the draw distance and map streaming speed are going to need to be something like 3x what they currently are for the the submarine experience to be anywhere close to "tense silent running past alien predator" and not "fish who hates a metal rectangle for some reason suddenly pops in too close to be avoided, and commences headbutting."

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

The only reason to pilot the big piece of poo poo was because it's a mobile base you don't have to really tend to. It's way more of a hassle to have to make a new one than it would be to just make more one corridor locker bases. Mark my words people won't use it then they'll just change it to the point where it's meaningless and a big waste of development time.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Steam says I've played this game for ~70 hours and it's my personal goty, but some of the criticism in the last few pages are spot on.

For silver, I feel like I can see the point of view of developers, the spawn/"drop rate" is fine, there is actually quite a lot of silver, the issue is discover-ability. The way you solve this in the game right now is via the scanner room, but a scanner room and drones are "end game", it's way too loving late by this point.

The following image is a scan for silver, all of that sandstone displayed on the HUD has silver in it. (Spoiler in case you want to discover scanner room features for yourself).

I feel the "real" solution would be like a hand-held (or HUD upgrade), super short range scanner. Set it to the type of resource you want and go exploring, when you're close, it would show up similar to how the scanner room works. It means you're still out exploring and managing oxygen etc, but your inventory doesn't get full of trash.

I actually like that the cyclops is going to be destructible, it feels out of place being invincible, but I'm not excited about the current implementation. The cyclops isn't fun to pilot. It's slow, has poo poo maneuverability, has poor visibility (switching through cameras as a means to navigate sucks). I use it as a mobile base to grow food, store resources and recharge the real "exploration" vehicle I am using (prawn or seamoth). So the idea that it's going to get even slower (via "silent mode") makes me cringe.

Digirat posted:

I feel like the draw distance and map streaming speed are going to need to be something like 3x what they currently are for the the submarine experience to be anywhere close to "tense silent running past alien predator" and not "fish who hates a metal rectangle for some reason suddenly pops in too close to be avoided, and commences headbutting."

I agree with this so loving hard. This and random performance issues are what stopped me playing when I did. I probably would have happily put in another 100 hours if this was fixed. I'm self-aware and know this sounds :goonsay: but in a game all about swimming around and exploring, this really hurts immersion. The worst part about this is that it's looks like this may not actually ever be resolved.

This "spawn dissolve" effect is currently sitting in the done section on the dev trello, would you really waste time on this if you were confident you could solve the underlying problem?:

(Warning, the video contains what I would consider "location" spoilers.)

e: I change the video to a link because I noticed even the thumbnail could be a spoiler.

Xik fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 8, 2017

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Cicadalek posted:

If the developers want the player to feel vulnerable even after making the cyclops, they would be better off just restricting the deeper exploration areas to the smaller vehicles. The cyclops remains indestructible, but you cant get it into the deeper areas like the lava caves because either the openings are too small or the cyclops cant go that deep. The prawn and seamoth get a buff to their maximum depth, and now there's more of a purpose to putting armor and such on the smaller vehicles.I don't know if that's at all viable to do now sadly, since it would probably require the world design to be changed.

The only reason I bother with the cyclops is the crush depth. Having a mobile food supply is nice, but it is so much more fun to zip around in the seamoth that if they bumped the 'moth's depth I would likely just use it for exploration.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Xik posted:

The following image is a scan for silver, all of that sandstone displayed on the HUD has silver in it. (Spoiler in case you want to discover scanner room features for yourself).

By "all" I presume you mean "At most 50%, and probably a lot less because gently caress you have some more GOLD *chime*."

I've seen scanner room fragments on the floating island, so the devs may be trying to push it more towards early-mid-game.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Paracelsus posted:

By "all" I presume you mean "At most 50%, and probably a lot less because gently caress you have some more GOLD *chime*."

I've seen scanner room fragments on the floating island, so the devs may be trying to push it more towards early-mid-game.

No, I mean "all"/100%. That wasn't a scan for "Sandstone Chunks" in general, it was a scan for Silver. Every one of those chunks contains silver, sandstone chunks that don't contain silver are not appearing on that HUD.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Xik posted:

No, I mean "all"/100%. That wasn't a scan for "Sandstone Chunks" in general, it was a scan for Silver. Every one of those chunks contains silver, sandstone chunks that don't contain silver are not appearing on that HUD.

That's encouraging if the case these days. Did they also finally fix the sound bugs where building a scanner room screws up creature sounds?

Either way, "Build the elaborate scanner room and HUD upgrades that assume you already found plenty of silver, to find silver" is still sadly pretty rear end backwards design. But at least you're not telling people to use the Exo-suit to drill for silver, which needs a shitload more silver to own by comparison (I wish I were exaggerating about this being a common "answer" given).

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Decided to go through Lost River in my Cyclops and picked up a hitch hiker. Internally, its invisible and just aft of the Moth/PRAWN docking position, forcing you to jump onto it and walk over it.
Honestly unsure how I want the save/reload to end up wrt it.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Section Z posted:

"Build the elaborate scanner room and HUD upgrades that assume you already found plenty of silver, to find silver"

Yeah agreed, the scanner room was the last blue print I found, so it's not a solution. I was just making the argument that I don't think the problem is necessarily spawn/drop rate, but is instead a discoverability issue.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

If they just made sandstone look noticeably different it'd be a much easier issue.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sandsharks and poo poo rambo'ing at the Cyclops bother me from a perspective from immersion because a) predators don't generally start poo poo with things way bigger than them and b) why the gently caress do they even care about a metal thing they can't eat? It'd be one thing if they were trying to drive you away from their nests or something but they're supposed to be animals, not aliens from Serious Sam.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Voyager I posted:

Sandsharks and poo poo rambo'ing at the Cyclops bother me from a perspective from immersion because a) predators don't generally start poo poo with things way bigger than them and b) why the gently caress do they even care about a metal thing they can't eat? It'd be one thing if they were trying to drive you away from their nests or something but they're supposed to be animals, not aliens from Serious Sam.

I was about to say, I finally got around to seeing how it actually worked and, wow, yeah, that is incredibly immersion breaking. Doesn't feel right at all. The actual burning sub actually seems sort of cool (though I have a feeling it would get old after a time or two) but I'm really not seeing the intended gameplay I guess? Like if there was some stuff later on that exploded and thats what caused the damage so you could go and focus on fixing up the ship, that would be one thing, but how does it actually work in terms of the "you are still actively under attack" situation? Also the actual damage and breaking up is... really unimpressive, which isn't surprising considering how broken bases work but still disappointing.

It sort of sucks how excited I got about the Stalker early on. I thought it was just going to be the beginning of cool stuff but it turns out that was actually the peak of creature complexity wasn't it?

Also saw the Sea Emperor model and... huh. I sort of thought it would be bigger.

Edit: Oh, I guess the current model is actually shrunk, that makes a lot more sense.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 9, 2017

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Night10194 posted:

If they just made sandstone look noticeably different it'd be a much easier issue.
What they should do is remove gold from the sandstone nodes, it's got no business being there in the first place when there's another node type it drops from.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

U.T. Raptor posted:

What they should do is remove gold from the sandstone nodes, it's got no business being there in the first place when there's another node type it drops from.

There are three types it drops from: sandstone, basalt, and shale.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Voyager I posted:

This is what I was saying. It's poo poo from a gameplay perspective and poo poo from an immersion perspective. So why did they put a massive amount of work into this feature?

I'm getting frustrated because I put the game on hold last year after being convinced that it had great potential, which just needed to have its technical issues sorted out to be great. Fast forward 9 months or so and it doesn't seem like it's an inch closer to getting there. Meanwhile their sperg community has done its best to ram it as far off course as possible, which is the last thing I wanted to see when my original interest in the game was based on its differences from other survival games, which section Z has posted about in detail already. Everything unknown worlds is doing is going to be for nothing if they don't improve the hitching, draw distance, streaming speed and save instability, because none of the other poo poo they're doing is going to make the game more worth playing until all that stuff is fixed.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
Pop quiz hotshot:

You are nearing the end of development on a game that has very few gameplay features to be added, a story mode to be dropped in and huge performance problems that have needed addressing for well over a year that you just can't lick. You need the game to still appear to be "in development" and generate income so waddya do?

Shoot the hostage or add a bolted on gameplay feature that doesn't fit at all with already buggy AI programmed so far and only serves to add busywork and the illusion of gameplay complexity at the cost of a few lines of code and a horrible UI upgrade?

I know that's a very cynical attitude to have and I would hope that even if it was the case, it was out of desperation. I really like Subnautica. (As my thread history shows) But I think we can all agree its a bit of a mess. You have this really solid game until mid-late game and it all falls apart a little. You have a really great feeling of mastering this world and it's systems and you can still screw up and die. But at that point it's all your fault. It's what I adored about my first few playthroughs.
However, late-game grind/drag a common problem in Survival games. And more noticeable here because of the lack of aggressive or proper stealth gameplay. The most complex behaving creature is the Stalker if you can believe it. There is no light awareness, sound awareness or anything else built into the systems for hunting. There is aggro1 and aggro0

This is a tacked on feature and that's what is annoying. There is no precedent in the game for this kind of gameplay. It has been said again and again, this is just adding busywork. Even if they nerf the bonesharks hilariously boinging off the Cyclops. What about Reapers? It's the same crap. There is no clever or skillful way to avoid them. Just fast/slow. It's all about time. If I figure out that I can flank speed past a Reaper and take minimal damage and then spot repair the hull, then that's what me and 90% of other players will do.

A lot of the possible suggestions and workarounds stated in this thread are great. But the game is too far along for that now. They are looking at what a Q3 release?

(A few pages back a poster complained I was getting too technical using words like "systems", "AI" and "gameplay". Apologys to anyone offended)

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 9, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

This is what I was saying. It's poo poo from a gameplay perspective and poo poo from an immersion perspective. So why did they put a massive amount of work into this feature?

I'm getting frustrated because I put the game on hold last year after being convinced that it had great potential, which just needed to have its technical issues sorted out to be great. Fast forward 9 months or so and it doesn't seem like it's an inch closer to getting there. Meanwhile their sperg community has done its best to ram it as far off course as possible, which is the last thing I wanted to see when my original interest in the game was based on its differences from other survival games, which section Z has posted about in detail already. Everything unknown worlds is doing is going to be for nothing if they don't improve the hitching, draw distance, streaming speed and save instability, because none of the other poo poo they're doing is going to make the game more worth playing until all that stuff is fixed.

It's always a really, really bad sign for a game's development when multiple Goons start namedropping me as a good example of issues rundowns :ohdear: It would be a more pleasant reality if my ramblings were way off base, rather than not often cynical enough :v:

But yeah, draw distances are pretty jarring and actually detract from what little sense of "alone in the abyss" I'd have. The realization that lovely draw distances were why I couldn't see surfaces I turned out to be practically on top of just killed it for me.

It's particularly janky when you watch part of the super pretty and nice looking light up mushroom biome just blink off and on like a lightswitch past certain distance thresholds, but at least in that case it's usually far enough away to not matter (Except when cruising around looking for the opening that would have bright sunlight highlight it hidden by drawdistance void). An open world six degrees of motion style game only serves to highlight these shortcomings you could more readily get away with in a landlocked game, and wringing your hands saying stuff like "But water diffuses light!" only goes so far.

Mostly though, it's the island visibility and creature pop-in that gets me. I wonder how long until people start claiming that reapers also have an alien cloaking device, like is often tossed around as a fanfiction excuse for the largest land masses in the game having worse visibility than Superman 64.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Apr 10, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Section Z posted:

It's always a really, really bad sign for a game's development when multiple Goons start namedropping me as a good example of issues rundowns :ohdear: It would be a more pleasant reality if my ramblings were way off base, rather than not often cynical enough :v:

But yeah, draw distances are pretty jarring and actually detract from what little sense of "alone in the abyss" I'd have. The realization that lovely draw distances were why I couldn't see surfaces I turned out to be practically on top of just killed it for me.

It's particularly janky when you watch part of the super pretty and nice looking light up mushroom biome just blink off and on like a lightswitch past certain distance thresholds, but at least in that case it's usually far enough away to not matter (Except when cruising around looking for the opening that would have bright sunlight highlight it hidden by drawdistance void). An open world six degrees of motion style game only serves to highlight these shortcomings you could more readily get away with in a landlocked game, and wringing your hands saying stuff like "But water diffuses light!" only goes so far.

Mostly though, it's the island visibility and creature pop-in that gets me. I wonder how long until people start claiming that reapers also have an alien cloaking device, like is often tossed around as a fanfiction excuse for the largest land masses in the game having worse visibility than Superman 64.

Except the islands aren't a matter of draw distance They're literally hidden by a layer of fog for gameplay reasons. You can still see where they are if you know what to look for, but the devs don't want you seeing them as soon as you surface.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
Kind of a dilemma that they want you to be able to see the crashed ship but nothing else on the surface. They could have just sidestepped the issue by having rain covering everything or a hurricane discouraging you from surfacing.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

7c Nickel posted:

Except the islands aren't a matter of draw distance They're literally hidden by a layer of fog for gameplay reasons. You can still see where they are if you know what to look for, but the devs don't want you seeing them as soon as you surface.

They couldn't just... move them further away?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

BrainMeats posted:

Kind of a dilemma that they want you to be able to see the crashed ship but nothing else on the surface. They could have just sidestepped the issue by having rain covering everything or a hurricane discouraging you from surfacing.

But that would take actual effort compared to saying a lovely draw distance is actually following the Developer's Vision™

Plek posted:

They couldn't just... move them further away?

Despite the "They are supposed to be non obvious so you don't rush them!", they still need it within relatively close proximity because a bunch of tech gating is on those islands, and what few plot cookies are involved vaguely hint at their existence.

Well, that and moving them farther away would just put them outside of the play area entirely. When you get down to it, the gameplay area is very tiny. You could even seaglide your way across the entire width without taking too long.

This as much as anything, is probably why they are so hopeful about slowing down cyclops gameplay. Dragging out how long it takes to travel in a straight line makes a postage stamp sized horizontal gameplay radius seem bigger than it is. And the Cyclops makes it super loving obvious since it's original implementation can't get interrupted just cruising across the surface like a reaper following peeper spawn logics (did they fix that yet?) popping in out of loving nowhere and taking a bite out of your seamoth or bare rear end.

So it is entirely possible the actual problem, or at the very least a notable aspect the devs are concerned with isn't "Too Safe". It's that it makes it too obvious how small the world is to be able to just cruise in a straight line at your leisure. Even though an upgraded Seamoth can still do that in complete safety with nigh infinite power, you can't stuff a bunch of storage full sized lockers and a fabricator into it either.

See also: Populating the Void with reapers instead of just leaving it empty. As well as brown sea posters who ask for stuff like super ultra mega reapers who can one hit kill a cyclops if people go into the void. Because both the developers and sterotypical sandbox players don't seem to think "There is literally nothing out here" is enough of a detriment to accomplishing anything out there :v:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 10, 2017

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

New feature! Machine lifeforms!

...the experimental mode has some texture errors right now.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Section Z posted:

See also: Populating the Void with reapers instead of just leaving it empty. As well as brown sea posters who ask for stuff like super ultra mega reapers who can one hit kill a cyclops if people go into the void. Because both the developers and sterotypical sandbox players don't seem to think "There is literally nothing out here" is enough of a detriment to accomplishing anything out there :v:

Meanwhile, I made a somewhat popular proposal for putting something visually interesting but completely useless out there for daring explorers to discover. (a circle of "migrating fish" in a sort of circular stream that goes all the way around the "island", a really cool reefback and maybe a small but largely empty floating island being carried along by the current)

But that's something I would have enjoyed a ton, and I am increasingly getting the feeling that this game is no longer being built for the sort of people that enjoy the things I enjoy.

<- Still Salty that the Stalkers are still the most work they have put into creature behaviour.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Section Z posted:

Because both the developers and sterotypical sandbox players don't seem to think "There is literally nothing out here" is enough of a detriment to accomplishing anything out there :v:

And the counterpoint is that they also simultaneously think that "there is something out there!" isn't enough of an incentive for people to go visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I never bothered with the cyclops and looks like I never will!

I also play on the mode where you worry about oxygen and health but not food/drink because frankly gently caress that noise.

At this point my main amusement has been making a neato base, and right now that means having a crazy orchard of all kinds of stuff in the surrounding area. I really wish they had more base decoration components. I enjoyed the hunt for blueprints in wrecks, that was p cool, but now I have pretty much everything.

If you release an animal you hatched does it stay where you released it perpetually (or until you clear cache?) and will they always be non-hostile?

I actually think it would be cool if the base could be damaged and you had to repair it if it meant the addition of new items for reinforcement and defense. It would be annoying if animals just randomly aggro'd on it though. Since I like fussing over bases in games considering defensive properties in deeper and/or more hostile areas seems fun, but the game's lack of offensive items for now means there's probably not a fun way to actually implement that.