Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
:stare:

Well.

The strainer you have is not for putting leaves in. Basically it's for when you have leaves loose in a pot, you put it over the cup to catch them when some inevitably slip out of the pot as you pour the tea.

I would... maybe not use that cast iron pot if it's shedding enamel. I'm guessing that it's fully enameled on the inside? I don't personally like cast iron pots since they tend to be very small volume and very expensive, at least the ones I've seen, and I don't think the claimed benefits really make up for those two strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

DurianGray posted:

:stare:

Well.

The strainer you have is not for putting leaves in. Basically it's for when you have leaves loose in a pot, you put it over the cup to catch them when some inevitably slip out of the pot as you pour the tea.

I would... maybe not use that cast iron pot if it's shedding enamel. I'm guessing that it's fully enameled on the inside? I don't personally like cast iron pots since they tend to be very small volume and very expensive, at least the ones I've seen, and I don't think the claimed benefits really make up for those two strikes.

Thanks for the info. Fortunately for me, the little cast iron pot was a cheap find at a thriftstore. I was thinking to use it on my tiny samovar. Maybe I'll run boiling water through it a bunch of times and see what breaks off. It's such a cool little pot, if a bit small for non-snooty teas.

The Selfish Samovar.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I'm not super familiar with samovars, but if that cast iron pot is enameled you want to be careful about putting it directly on a heat source. (Like absolutely don't put it directly on a stove or anything like that since it can make the enamel crack even worse.)

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

It's weird. Under the peeling area is another surface that also appears to be a lacquer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
TeaVivre is releasing Spring Teas and having a sale. There's a little quiz where you can win $10 off and you can enter their drawing for some free tea.

http://www.teavivre.com/sale/spring...ourself_png#st1

The spring teas are starting to get released too. Only the She Qian and Ming Qian Longjing are available so far, but I'd expect more by the end of the week.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jhet posted:

TeaVivre is releasing Spring Teas and having a sale. There's a little quiz where you can win $10 off and you can enter their drawing for some free tea.

http://www.teavivre.com/sale/spring...ourself_png#st1

The spring teas are starting to get released too. Only the She Qian and Ming Qian Longjing are available so far, but I'd expect more by the end of the week.

Was just doing this little quiz, and looking at their tea storage recommendations and see they suggest storing tea in the fridge. Does anyone do this? I usually just keep things in airtight containers in my cupboard/a cabinet at work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sirotan posted:

Was just doing this little quiz, and looking at their tea storage recommendations and see they suggest storing tea in the fridge. Does anyone do this? I usually just keep things in airtight containers in my cupboard/a cabinet at work.

I keep them sealed in a cool and dry place in my cupboards. They do recommend refrigeration, but I've never seen anyone else say that. It's not probably the worst place to store it, but I don't have room enough for an refrigerator for my tea.

breaks
May 12, 2001

I've heard of keeping sealed, nitrogen-flushed Japanese greens in the fridge, especially on the dealer side, but in that case it's generally recommended not to put it back in there after opening due to moisture issues. I'd be concerned about the same here.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Sirotan posted:

This guy who owns a tea shop did a short blind taste test comparing different storing methods for wet, just infused once tea. Drying the tea up to an entire day between infusions of had a small impact on the taste of the tea in subsequent infusions. So I think storing the tea in a dry, room temp place is the unquestionably best method for storing tea. A fridge is pretty humid really, which is bad for any sort of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfog_jJ9zis

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

some people who are crazy into aging puer tends to use modified fridges and winecoolers as humidors, but that's the exception

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AmericanBarbarian posted:

This guy who owns a tea shop did a short blind taste test comparing different storing methods for wet, just infused once tea. Drying the tea up to an entire day between infusions of had a small impact on the taste of the tea in subsequent infusions. So I think storing the tea in a dry, room temp place is the unquestionably best method for storing tea. A fridge is pretty humid really, which is bad for any sort of tea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfog_jJ9zis

A fridge would typically have lower relative humidity than your house, wouldn't it?

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

A fridge would typically have lower relative humidity than your house, wouldn't it?

For most of the continental US a house with A/C should have much less humidity than a fridge. I tried looking up some figures on what the average humidity of a fridge is but apparently every time you open the fridge the interaction with the warmer house air creates a lot of humidity.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

AmericanBarbarian posted:

For most of the continental US a house with A/C should have much less humidity than a fridge. I tried looking up some figures on what the average humidity of a fridge is but apparently every time you open the fridge the interaction with the warmer house air creates a lot of humidity.

But a fridge is constantly pulling the humidity out of the air (the same way an AC does). One that has stayed closed for a while should have very little.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I think the idea is the fridge is long term storage and you open it several times a year.

Not several times a day like we use fridges every day.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm getting into loose leaf tea, mostly green, what are some well-loved Chinese/Japanese ones? I'm a boring person so my tastes are pretty basic.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Schneider Heim posted:

I'm getting into loose leaf tea, mostly green, what are some well-loved Chinese/Japanese ones? I'm a boring person so my tastes are pretty basic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longjing_tea Aka Dragonwell, you can find it at a lot of shops in varying quality depending on your price range.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)
Does anyone work in tea education for a tea company? I just moved back to the US (Seattle) and I'm finding lots of coffee shops don't know how to make their expensive tea. I helped a Stumptown affiliate develop their program and am thinking this might be an opportunity to sneak in the business.

Serious Cephalopod
Jul 1, 2007

This is a Serious post for a Serious thread.

Bloop Bloop Bloop
Pillbug

DontAskKant posted:

Does anyone work in tea education for a tea company? I just moved back to the US (Seattle) and I'm finding lots of coffee shops don't know how to make their expensive tea. I helped a Stumptown affiliate develop their program and am thinking this might be an opportunity to sneak in the business.

I know a guy who knows a guy. He got in by working at a local tea shop. He also does tastings and parties

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

ROYAL RAINBOW!

DontAskKant posted:

This is something that's been driving me crazy recently. A lot of coffee shops in my area have great tea menus, but the baristas are trained to put ice in the teapots when they make anything other than black tea. I get all this gross old ice flavor in what should be a delicious cup of oolong.

Sanguinary Novel
Jan 27, 2009
Mine annoyingly don't time anything and always use boiling water straight from the coffee pot line. I either get herbal or try to subtly start a phone timer for black teas. At least they make great espresso.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Over the weekend, I stopped at a Bulk Barn while on a day trip to Ikea and picked up a couple small bags of loose leaf pomegranate lavender green and hibiscus rosehip black teas. I'm sure they're not great, but I ended up spending less than $5 on tea that would have cost me nearly $15 for the same quantity back home, so I'm not complaining. Can someone refresh my memory on the best practices for making iced herbal green tea? I know you either use twice the amount or steep twice as long, steep in... hot water, or cold? Hot then pour into an equal amount of ice water, right? And sweeten while it's still hot, right?

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
Hmm, I would experiment since there can be a lot of variation in greens in my experience. I think a cold steep overnight wouldn't be a bad idea to start with, and a somewhat generous portion of tea to water. If you don't add sugar while it's hot (or don't brew it hot to begin with) you could always whip up some simple syrup and add that in whenever.

(I don't know why more places don't offer simple syrup for cold drinks in the first place but I'm always grateful when I find one that does.)

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I bought a ceramic teapot from Daiso (a Japanese dollar store). It's really pretty for its $4 price, but it seems to be leaking on the underside. How do I fix this? My first idea is epoxy, but I'm not sure if that's safe.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I can't be very specific but my advice is find something that's rated 'food grade' it's safe to use around food basically.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Schneider Heim posted:

I bought a ceramic teapot from Daiso (a Japanese dollar store). It's really pretty for its $4 price, but it seems to be leaking on the underside. How do I fix this? My first idea is epoxy, but I'm not sure if that's safe.

I can't imagine anything that would be resistant to repeated encounters with boiling water that would both be safe and last for the long term. You might have bought a $4 decoration. Which there is nothing wrong with.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

buy a kintsugi repair kit

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I can't imagine anything that would be resistant to repeated encounters with boiling water that would both be safe and last for the long term. You might have bought a $4 decoration. Which there is nothing wrong with.

It's fully-functional and has a mesh strainer inside, but the edge of the circular base is just somewhat porous and leaks. I'll probably look for a better one, though.

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
i never knew there was a tea thread.

I liked the BOP grade from Sabaragamuwa District from a taster and stumped up for a bulk amount which is still going strong. No idea what the district is like recently.

Its a dry tea to the mouth but has excellent flavour and aroma. Colour is a pleasant brown. It ticks my tea box. I hope it's the same when i have to buy another batch.

I have a tiny bit of sugar but no milk.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Borrowed my officemate's coffee press (which he uses for tea, so flavor contamination isn't an issue) to test multiple steep times. The office hot water isn't hot enough, so I've done 6 minutes for the first steep, then 9 for the second.

How many steepings do you make? My limit is 3 so far, but I'm not sure how far I could (or should) go.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Schneider Heim posted:

The office hot water isn't hot enough

Have you, uhh, considered getting a kettle?

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Ras Het posted:

Have you, uhh, considered getting a kettle?

I would get into trouble if I used one in the office.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Only solution is buy a kettle at home and bring hot water in a big thermos.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

Borrowed my officemate's coffee press (which he uses for tea, so flavor contamination isn't an issue) to test multiple steep times. The office hot water isn't hot enough, so I've done 6 minutes for the first steep, then 9 for the second.

How many steepings do you make? My limit is 3 so far, but I'm not sure how far I could (or should) go.

Yeah, generally I stop at 3 if I'm doing normal steep times. I actually combine the tea from the second and third steep because I think it comes out more balanced than either one alone. Obviously, if I'm doing gong-fu style I can get more than 3.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
This is my office tea routine:

Take 2 cardamom cloves and cut them with scissors into the metal tea basket, just enough to better expose the insides. Take 2 big pinches of jasmine green tea and drop it in the basket. Boil water in the kettle I keep in my office. Pour 1/3 room temperature water into my huge mug and immediately pour 2/3 boiling water in.

I try to consciously limit the steep time on the first one to just a few minutes. Sometimes I forget.

The second steep I do the same thing with the temperature adjustment. But I stir the leaves around a bit with a chopstick in the water, then fully top out the water. I sometimes let the second steep go super long.

Decent? The tea is pretty cheap but tasty, not really worth steeping a 3rd time in my opinion. Also this allows me to finish the 2 steeps in one workday.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

if you think the tea tastes good, then that's good enough

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
so black tea gets no love here? Just weird alt teas?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Black tea is the weird alt tea that white people love for some reason

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Schneider Heim posted:

Daiso :love:

You and I probably have the exact same teapot.

Ras Het posted:

Black tea is the weird alt tea that white people love for some reason

It reminds us of the cholera we used to get from the River Thames.

Love Stole the Day fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 8, 2017

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

Love Stole the Day posted:

Daiso :love:

You and I probably have the exact same teapot.

Yours doesn't leak, does it? I want to get another one but I'm afraid it might have the same problem as my faulty one...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Ineffiable posted:

Only solution is buy a kettle at home and bring hot water in a big thermos.
Or just get one of those teapot-style electric water kettles which can't be opened up. A cheap water boiler kettle is like 10-12 bucks and it won't take up much space or be as dangerous as the space heaters everybody else snuck into their office last winter. Of course if you work in a cubicle farm or soemthing, a thermos does work great but remember - the larger the thermos and the fuller you keep it, the hotter/cooler the liquid stays for longer.