Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Cephas posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and it was real weird. It gave me like a mix of GaoGaiGar and, I dunno, Mai Hime or something vibes, but without any buildup. It's just full throttle craziness in a kind of retro way. Does this show calm down a little?

I guess I was expecting a show about :angel::glomp::sparkles::palmon: and instead I got :black101::gibs::science::rory::kamina:

Symphogear starts off kind of weird and grim but grows into a relentlessly silly but deceptively intelligent and big-hearted show about love, music, communication, and rocket-assisted flying dropkicks.

I like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I feel like Symphogear tries very hard to be the anti-Madoka, while making you think at first that it's gonna be just like it.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
episode 3 slowed things down a good deal and made it a lot more watchable for me. I will continue watching this colorful gay action show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
symphogear is not the anti-madoka, it's just a crazy magical girl action show written by a guy who loves writing stuff that is simultaneously about really dark past trauma and also really uplifting and fun and goofy. it's written by the same guy as wild arms and those games have a similar feel

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The English in it is like playing Wild Arms 2

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I see. Well, in the absence of knowing that information, and the timing in which it came out, that's just the impression I got from it.

I enjoy the contrast in any case.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
The first part of Magic Knight Rayearth is really good. It's only three relatively short volumes and it's by Clamp so if you like Card Captor Sakura you might like Rayearth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtFYF4LtvNQ

The anime is good but I really didn't like the second part of the manga and I never finished part 2 of the anime. my understanding is that Clamp was originally happy with how the first part ended but they felt like they had to give their relatively young readers a happier, less tragic ending.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 11, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The most amusing thing about that is the anime killing off a character who didn't die in the manga, they had to hastily resurrect her in the second season.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cephas posted:

I just watched the first two episodes of Symphogear and it was real weird. It gave me like a mix of GaoGaiGar and, I dunno, Mai Hime or something vibes, but without any buildup. It's just full throttle craziness in a kind of retro way. Does this show calm down a little?
Symphogear is a story about the difficulties of earnestly communicating with someone but the wonderful things that can happen when you manage it. So in the first few episodes, nobody's really communicating with each other and bad things are happening, so that it can be contrasted with later on when Hibiki has actually sat down and decided to just talk to everyone else, and things start actually working out, and the characters begin to grow and change.

the dude what wrote symphogear posted:

When I saw the name “Hibiki” on the notes I received from Mr. Agematsu, I realized that this girl's story would not be about how she grows up on her own, but rather how she resonates with others and grows with them.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The English in it is like playing Wild Arms 2
I can't believe someone beat me to posting this. I can't believe anyone besides me played it. My memories of that game are like a fever dream. I guess the main character was kind of a magic girl, though?

Sailor Moon may not be the original magical girl series, but it holds up way better than just about anything that precedes it, and defined what we think of as the standard template for the genre these days. Was there anything that beat it to the 'sentai but they're all magic princesses instead' forumla?

lets hang out posted:

Please recommend more cool shows to me that are not the ones in the op or symphogear or wixoss or yuyuyu or symphogear thank you
Princess Tutu, the only show good enough to make me admit I watched a show called Princess Tutu in public.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Princess Chuchu :kimchi:

Sailor Moon was a good and fun show until it jumped the shark and did inane things like having chibi moon & co. literally save a baby dinosaur from a volcano. I really wanted to get to the point where Sailor Uranus enters the show but it got kind of unwatchable in the Crystal Tower arc. Please for the love of god Usagi please stop spanking Chibi Usa. She's crying and blushing and this is really uncomfortable.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i finished up sailor moon r a few months ago and i barely remember either of these things. one of those was just a less good one-off filler episode, and easily the lowest point of the season

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 11, 2017

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The only part of SM that drags for me (for more than an episode, at least) is Supers. Pegasus is so lame, and there's so much Chibi focus, and it sucks.

Except for the episode where Minako goes on dates with two of the bad guys at the same place at the same time. That's probably my favorite SM episode period.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Hime-chan's Ribbon is a cute magical girl show from the early '90s. It borrows a lot from the earlier seminal Himitsu no Akko-chan, and due to when it came out it was kind of overshadowed by Sailor Moon, but it's fun (though I never got around to watching the last several episodes).

Himeko is given the power to change her appearance to that of anyone else by her body double, the princess of the Magical Kingdom. She uses it for various reasons: to become the sister she idolizes, to help folks out, to get herself out of jams, etc. The stakes are usually pretty low, Himeko learns life lessons, has fun, and falls for the cute bad boy at her school. It's nice having a show where there's pretty much no fighting. It features boy idol powerhouse of yesteryear SMAP performing the OP and EDs, and they occasionally guest star as well (apparently there was a Hime-chan musical starring them as well??).

It's cute, check it out. There were subs out there back in the day, they're probably around somewhere.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
Does Shugo Chara count? I'm not finished watching it yet but it's pretty cute. :3:

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Cephas posted:

Princess Chuchu :kimchi:

Sailor Moon was a good and fun show until it jumped the shark and did inane things like having chibi moon & co. literally save a baby dinosaur from a volcano. I really wanted to get to the point where Sailor Uranus enters the show but it got kind of unwatchable in the Crystal Tower arc. Please for the love of god Usagi please stop spanking Chibi Usa. She's crying and blushing and this is really uncomfortable.

If you're familiar with Chibiusa conceptually you can basically just skip to S and not miss allll that much

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Endorph posted:

watch symphogear

Its next on my list after I finish Flip Flappers. I'm about 3 episodes into FF and its really visually great and the character elements are interesting. Buff green rabbit is great.

Alligator Pie posted:

Does Shugo Chara count? I'm not finished watching it yet but it's pretty cute. :3:

I think it counts. I watched all of it when it aired. Its pretty good but there are some spots in the later season where it drags a bit. I like the concepts of their powers being their potentials in life.

I want to add Ore no Twintail to the list but I feel like it may slide more in favor of being a sentai spoof then anything else.

Vividred Operation is good with the action sequences but suffers from being panderingly creepy.

Revolutionary Girl Utena total counts as a magical girl. Just that Utena's magic is stabbing people with her sword.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Revolver Bunker posted:

I think it counts. I watched all of it when it aired. Its pretty good but there are some spots in the later season where it drags a bit. I like the concepts of their powers being their potentials in life.

Revolutionary Girl Utena total counts as a magical girl. Just that Utena's magic is stabbing people with her sword.

I like that aspect of it too. It's a good example of the "You can be who you want if you follow your dreams" message of magical girl-dom.

I just try to ignore the angsty catboy.

I haven't seen all of Utena but I think she counts as a magical girl. The curry episode killed me. I'm told by my friend that I must watch all of it or else.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Utena is good, and the curry episode showcases its absurdist sense of humor to great effect. But the show was never meant for a younger audience, and it can get pretty dark. Not like Madoka, either. It's more... sinister in how it goes about things.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://my.mixtape.moe/pwoeag.webm

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

A magical girls thread?
I've started playing Blue Reflection, which is pretty much "Magical Girls - the RPG"
https://my.mixtape.moe/fqxkfz.webm

There are english trophies, which usually is a sign that a translation is going to happen.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
That sounds like a good dibs. How's the story? I heard it was pretty low-budget Gust as far as backdrops and settings and such, but the OST is win and if the chars are fun it seems like a winner.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Can't really say yet, that video was the first boss, and the story so far was mostly the main character being sad about no longer being able to dance ballet due to a knee injury.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

:swoon: I absolutely need to play this. That music was gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen a magical girl game quite like this.

About what level of Japanese would you say is needed to play and figure out the story?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Literally everything Gust and Koei Tecmo do nowadays gets an English translation so I'd wait and see if your Japanese isn't decent.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I'm now halfway through the game (going by chapter numbers) and so far it has been 90% High School life. The RPG parts are really irrelevant so far, so you probably shouldn't get it if you're expecting anything on that front. They've introduced almost all the side characters now, maybe something will happen eventually.

The language isn't difficult since isn't mostly daily life stuff, but only the main story is voiced. All the side-character content (think S-Links in Persona games) doesn't get voice acting, and there is a LOT of that, so if you're relying on voice acting to understand things, you're going to have a hard time.
also

Sakurazuka posted:

Literally everything Gust and Koei Tecmo do nowadays gets an English translation so I'd wait and see if your Japanese isn't decent.

e: videos in the next post

Tamba fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Apr 23, 2017

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Here's a video that's mostly talking.

The video immediately follows the previous one, with a transformation scene and some battles.

And here's another boss battle with more dubstep and a cool cutscene-finisher. (Battle starts at 5:20, everything before that is mostly messing around with the menus)

Tamba fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 23, 2017

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Thank you both! I'm gearing up to take N3 in December, and I've played a ton of high school life otome games (:sparkles:) so if people are talking about every day things I'm pretty solid in that department.

If people are talking about high fantasy or highly technical scientific things, my vocabulary probably needs work there.

I really appreciate the videos, though, that did help me get a handle on the language level. Fully voice acted games, which this seems to be, are great for me because I can hear the pronunciation of and look up words I'm not sure about. Also helps that the battle menu is in katakana. In the past I've bought both the Japanese and English releases of stuff, so I might do that if localization is going to take a while. It's good practice!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Alligator Pie posted:

I really appreciate the videos, though, that did help me get a handle on the language level. Fully voice acted games, which this seems to be, are great for me because I can hear the pronunciation of and look up words I'm not sure about. Also helps that the battle menu is in katakana. In the past I've bought both the Japanese and English releases of stuff, so I might do that if localization is going to take a while. It's good practice!

There's probably more unvoiced than voiced text in the game. It's just the main story that's fully voiced.

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Good to know, thank you. I appreciate it. :shobon:

It looks like a pretty cool spin on the magical girl genre, so I'm excited to see it in action sometime.

busydelicious
Jan 5, 2009

they call it chivalry
never pull a punch for free
I watched Symphogear and I liked the first episode, but then (imo) it just got continually worse and predictable the more it went on. It was the small stuff that added up. Like the chick in the anime saying 'if this were an anime', the whole thing with how there's a government facility within the school that couldn't influence Hibiki's grades, obvious bad guy, climax song only being legit the first episode in, creepy fetishsizing, etc.

If all of these things hadn't been done to death in other shows, it probably would have been ok... Tbh, I was impressed at how much I ended up being frustrated with it.

Although, it was totally the first time I really was rooting for the bad guy to win. Major 'The Tick' flashbacks towards the end there.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

:yikes:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Tamba posted:

A magical girls thread?
I've started playing Blue Reflection, which is pretty much "Magical Girls - the RPG"

There are english trophies, which usually is a sign that a translation is going to happen.

this game seems to borrow a lot from persona

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
I can't say I see anything there that is intrinsic to the Persona series but not to Gust JRPGs. I guess there seem to be girls doing navi work for your team?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

busydelicious posted:

I watched Symphogear and I liked the first episode, but then (imo) it just got continually worse and predictable the more it went on. It was the small stuff that added up. Like the chick in the anime saying 'if this were an anime', the whole thing with how there's a government facility within the school that couldn't influence Hibiki's grades, obvious bad guy, climax song only being legit the first episode in
all of those things own

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

...Why would the government facility care about Hibiki's grades? Does she need to stay in school to punch Noise?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

...Why would the government facility care about Hibiki's grades? Does she need to stay in school to punch Noise?
there's a gag where genjuuro mentions he cant do anything about hibikis' grades even though the government technically owns the school, iirc. im not sure how that's a cliche.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
X

Sakura is cute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Tamba posted:

A magical girls thread?

A magical girl JRPG sounds like it could be a good time, but man that art style is not working for me at all.