Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd listen to a miku cover of tomorrow comes today anytime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Looks like there's (potentially) a Gorillaz tv show on the horizon. Hope this actually happens.

http://www.factmag.com/2017/04/10/gorillaz-tv-show-in-the-works/

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
As someone who gives 0 shits about the characters and "lore" of the band*, meh... I'd be interested just for Jamie Hewlett's animation and hoping they put lots of music into it (including some of those 40-45 songs Damon wrote that didn't make it onto Humanz)

*Dont get me wrong, Gorillaz is in my top 5, maybe even top 3 bands. But to me it's a Damon Albarn side project with some fun animated videos. I don't care whether Noodle is a cyborg or what happened in the "story" between the albums

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Oh poo poo, that article also mentions Damon is working on a new TGTB&TQ album though! :neckbeard:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'd really enjoy a Gorillaz TV show if it was was a black comedy Monkees.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
the goat is back
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx0aAY6zzfY

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Apparently Gorlliaz will do a Demon DayZ festival in Chicago this summer but that's all the details provided by Damon. If I'm in town I'll sell a kidney to go.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Andromeda analysed with Damon Albarn on the (very good) Song Exploder podcast: https://soundcloud.com/hrishihirway/song-exploder-gorillaz-feat-dram

edit: The podcast features an extract from the scrapped version of the song that had a full verse from D.R.A.M

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 11, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Hedrigall posted:

*Dont get me wrong, Gorillaz is in my top 5, maybe even top 3 bands. But to me it's a Damon Albarn side project with some fun animated videos. I don't care whether Noodle is a cyborg or what happened in the "story" between the albums

From what I've read of the story it seems like the creators don't really care either since there's a whole lot of holes and "nobody's sure what happened." It's a bad story anyhow.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The only people who care about the gorillaz story are the teenagers who were born after the self titled album came out, who fill up the gorillaz subreddit with "theory" posts that are almost as bad as Zelda theories

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

I actually cared about the story up until they made Phase 3 the most story-focused album yet and then ran out of money before animating the final video or having any sort of real conclusion.

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
ive been listening to gorillaz for like 15 years and i dont even know the names of the characters other than murdoc

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
They brought back the interactive Kong Studios via their new iPhone/Android app, can't wait to see what they have in store this time around.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the lore but in a dumb comic book kinda way. I don't care about it even slightly and I barely remember it but I thought it was fun to read about on the wiki.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jinh posted:

I like the lore but in a dumb comic book kinda way. I don't care about it even slightly and I barely remember it but I thought it was fun to read about on the wiki.

I approach each album of lore like a comic book series I haven't been reading for 4 years. I just kinda pick it up and run with it.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
With new gorillaz and Alt J, etc, this should be a decent year for music. Part of me can't believe it's taken Albarn this long to make a new album, but then again I think Tool might be releasing a new album after 11(?) years. That's a long freaking time.

Also...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORSBIaPHDdg

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Blur released an album and supported it w tours. Might have something to do with it ;)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Plus it's usually been 5 or so years between album releases for the band anyways.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Boywhiz88 posted:

Blur released an album and supported it w tours. Might have something to do with it ;)

And don't forget Everyday Robots. I still pop that on from time to time. It doesn't break any new grounds or anything but if anyone enjoys Gorillaz they ought to give it a listen and see if there's something on it for them.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
when it's all said and done the tv show will probably be the best thing associated with this idea. the music has gone off the rails the past few albums and the characters were always the best part. really hope they do this right.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Mr. Unlucky posted:

when it's all said and done the tv show will probably be the best thing associated with this idea. the music has gone off the rails the past few albums and the characters were always the best part. really hope they do this right.

It's probably bad for a band's cartoon characters to be better than the music

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

http://www.gorillaz.com/tour/

So... UK dates to be announced later right? ...Right?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
So when they toured seven years ago, how many of the guests tagged along?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I'm guessing the whole Chicago festival thing fell through and this is just a normal concert. Either way I'm there.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
$111 to see them in Miami...as part of a festival. Uuuuugh. I don't think I can swing that.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Impressive to skip Texas entirely.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Oh man, I want to go to the Chicago one so bad but (a) I don't think I'll have the money and (b) I don't think I know anyone who'll want to go with me, and it's a pretty far/unfamiliar distance to go by myself.

I'm just going to go be sad for a while.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I can't believe the venue they picked for the Twin Cities. They easily could have done the Target Center or XCel Center. Roy Wilkins is small, relatively. I'll be interested to see the prices.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
The Chicago date being a Saturday! :dance:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

cheese eats mouse posted:

The Chicago date being a Saturday! :dance:

Hell yeah. And my July is filling up but that was a day that was open for me somehow :hellyeah:

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Real Name Grover posted:

So when they toured seven years ago, how many of the guests tagged along?

They had a lot of guests with them - De La Soul, Little Dragon, Bobby Womack, Bashy and Kano, Bootie Brown, Hypnotic Brass and Rosie Wilson, plus Mick Jones and Paul Simonon from The Clash were part of the band.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boywhiz88 posted:

I can't believe the venue they picked for the Twin Cities. They easily could have done the Target Center or XCel Center. Roy Wilkins is small, relatively. I'll be interested to see the prices.

Are you kidding me? You think gorillaz are selling 18,000 tickets in Minneapolis on a Wednesday night? You're on drugs.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Captain_Person posted:

They had a lot of guests with them - De La Soul, Little Dragon, Bobby Womack, Bashy and Kano, Bootie Brown, Hypnotic Brass and Rosie Wilson, plus Mick Jones and Paul Simonon from The Clash were part of the band.

And it was loving awesome

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

bef posted:

And it was loving awesome

And it was loving awesome :D

Little Dragon and De La Soul also played a set each before the show which was fantastic. De La Soul in particular remain one of the best support acts I've ever seen - they had the entire arena on their feet dancing along by the time they were done.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
looks like the opener this time around might be Danny Brown which is loving dope

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

gently caress that would be insane. Really hoping they come back to NZ if that's true.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

hughesta posted:

looks like the opener this time around might be Danny Brown which is loving dope

Jesus gently caress don't tell me this because then I'm gonna have to figure out how to drive from West Tennessee to Atlanta on a Wednesday while I'm also still in grad school during the fall.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I am hearing it leaked according to twitter

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Apparently there's a full vinyl rip out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo