Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

This Hannah girl has the worst loving luck. It's a great show, but it's almost comical how much poo poo they pile on her. I'm on episode five and by series end I'm expecting one or all of: a sexual assault, a gang rape, an abortion, parental abuse, drug use, drug dealing, murder, covering up a murder, having a family pet die, Avatrek and cancer to befall her as well.

PriorMarcus fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
I read "Avatrek" as "Aatrek" and I started laughing before remembering that whoever this Hannah girl is is probably too old for him

Then I felt sad

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

I've heard 13 Reasons Why is amazing and important. I just hesitate getting into a show that's going to be such an emotional slog to get through. The book, if I remember right, was morose and painful at certain points.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Pan Dulce posted:

I've heard 13 Reasons Why is amazing and important. I just hesitate getting into a show that's going to be such an emotional slog to get through. The book, if I remember right, was morose and painful at certain points.

It was really good but I don't know about amazing. It is a giant gut punch though. Especially if you can relate to any of the things that happen or the main characters (assuming most goons can relate to the main character).

Not a series you NEED to see, but it is good, has some dark themes, and has some interesting cinematography as well. Definitely not one to binge though.

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
man, no homeland thread still. weak

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DivisionPost posted:

I read "Avatrek" as "Aatrek" and I started laughing before remembering that whoever this Hannah girl is is probably too old for him

Then I felt sad

I think it was supposed to be Aatrek, primarily because googling "avatrek" brings up some very NSFW results.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

plz dont pull out posted:

Got it. I'll stick with it. Just coming from a guy who's watched too much Heroes and Dexter back in the day I'm a little weary of mediocre TV.

Escobarbarian posted:

Ava's plot isn't great and it has the worst season-long villains but yeah it's far from bad TV.

Yeah, it's important to realize that the "bad" season of Justified is called that because one of 3 ongoing plots is kind of lame. So it's annoying every time it cuts to that plot, the rest of the poo poo is still great.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Leviathan posted:

man, no homeland thread still. weak

No, which is a shame because this was probably the best season since the first (and that's speaking as someone who has mostly enjoyed the show).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It helped that she stayed on her drat meds this season.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

ShakeZula posted:

No, which is a shame because this was probably the best season since the first (and that's speaking as someone who has mostly enjoyed the show).

The Hillary Clinton character (lol how they got that wrong) and the Alex Jones character simply need to be dropped next season. Seasons 5 and 6 have been so mediocre compared to the earlier ones. How about we go back to playing cat and mouse games with terrorists and spies in foreign lands please? gently caress this 2016 election commentary.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

I think it was supposed to be Aatrek, primarily because googling "avatrek" brings up some very NSFW results.

It was supposed to be Aatrek. Not going to google what I actually put, but sounds like it might of been accidently appropriate any way.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

ShakeZula posted:

this was probably the best season since the first

The AV Club disagrees: http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/homeland-finds-fitting-end-its-worst-season-ever-253459

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
loving new Get Down, but are the animated sections a budget thing or an actual stylistic choice, do people think? I'm not super into them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I've not seen the episode yet, but the comments section have been, at best, split on the content and quality of those reviews.

Edit: Yep, quick peruse of those comments has a large proportion of people making GBS threads on the reviewer, a right-wing arsehole who hasn't realised the show still isn't quite his thing, and the usual crowd of jackals that turn up whenever a show gets a bad review score but don't actually watch the show. The website's gone downhill over the last few years.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 10, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Couldn't give a poo poo. This was definitely the best season since the first. It had it all, intrigue, conspiracy, mysterious character motivations, political commentary in an alternative world not too far removed from reality, tension, Peter Quinn. Really good stuff. they didn't quite stick the landing with the final episode, some things could have been resolved better but it left an interesting hook for next season.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

loving new Get Down, but are the animated sections a budget thing or an actual stylistic choice, do people think? I'm not super into them.

100% budget.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the Infowars guy is going to get super hosed next season

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

PriorMarcus posted:

It was supposed to be Aatrek. Not going to google what I actually put, but sounds like it might of been accidently appropriate any way.

I don't think I followed this conversation correctly, was there an aatrek-type character on a show?

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

IRQ posted:

I don't think I followed this conversation correctly, was there an aatrek-type character on a show?

(13 Reasons Why) The rapist (Bryce) is 18 years old and his on-screen victims (Hannah and Jessica) are 17

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

less laughter posted:

(13 Reasons Why) The rapist (Bryce) is 18 years old and his on-screen victims (Hannah and Jessica) are 17

I see.

DivisionPost posted:

Then I felt sad

If it makes you feel any better I just did the same thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

less laughter posted:

That's ... not at all similar to what Aatrek did.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Timby posted:

That's ... not at all similar to what Aatrek did.

Nobody said it was exactly the same. It's just what comes closest out of the titular 13 reasons.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Wandle Cax posted:

they didn't quite stick the landing with the final episode

I really liked the riveting bureaucrat fills out a form sequence. I'm glad they saved that for the finale because I couldn't take tension like that for a whole season.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
:rip: Peter Quinn

It👏 was👏 the👏 best👏 of👏 times,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 worst👏 of👏 times,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 age👏 of👏 wisdom,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 age👏 of👏 foolishness,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 epoch👏 of👏 belief,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 epoch👏 of👏 incredulity,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 season👏 of👏 Light,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 season👏 of👏 Darkness,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 spring👏 of👏 hope,👏 it👏 was👏 the👏 winter👏 of👏 despair,👏 we👏 had👏 everything👏 before👏 us,👏 we👏 had👏 nothing👏 before👏 us,👏 we👏 were👏 all👏 going👏 direct👏 to👏 Heaven,👏 we👏 were👏 all👏 going👏 direct👏 the👏 other👏 way--in👏 short,👏 the👏 period👏 was👏 so👏 far👏 like👏 the👏 present👏 period,👏 that👏 some👏 of👏 its👏 noisiest👏 authorities👏 insisted👏 on👏 its👏 being👏 received,👏 for👏 good👏 or👏 for👏 evil,👏 in👏 the👏 superlative👏 degree👏 of👏 comparison👏 only. There👏 were👏 a👏 king👏 with👏 a👏 large👏 jaw👏 and👏 a👏 queen👏 with👏 a👏 plain👏 face,👏 on👏 the👏 throne👏 of👏 England;👏 there👏 were👏 a👏 king👏 with👏 a👏 large👏 jaw👏 and👏 a👏 queen👏 with👏 a👏 fair👏 face,👏 on👏 the👏 throne👏 of👏 France.👏 In👏 both👏 countries👏 it👏 was👏 clearer👏 than👏 crystal👏 to👏 the👏 lords👏 of👏 the👏 State👏 preserves👏 of👏 loaves👏 and👏 fishes,👏 that👏 things👏 in👏 general👏 were👏 settled👏 for👏 ever. It👏 was👏 the👏 year👏 of👏 Our👏 Lord👏 one👏 thousand👏 seven👏 hundred👏 and👏 seventy-five.👏 Spiritual👏 revelations👏 were👏 conceded👏 to👏 England👏 at👏 that👏 favoured👏 period,👏 as👏 at👏 this.👏 Mrs.👏 Southcott👏 had👏 recently👏 attained👏 her👏 five-and-twentieth👏 blessed👏 birthday,👏 of👏 whom👏 a👏 prophetic👏 private👏 in👏 the👏 Life👏 Guards👏 had👏 heralded👏 the👏 sublime👏 appearance👏 by👏 announcing👏 that👏 arrangements👏 were👏 made👏 for👏 the👏 swallowing👏 up👏 of👏 London👏 and👏 Westminster.👏 Even👏 the👏 Cock-lane👏 ghost👏 had👏 been👏 laid👏 only👏 a👏 round👏 dozen👏 of👏 years,👏 after👏 rapping👏 out👏 its👏 messages,👏 as👏 the👏 spirits👏 of👏 this👏 very👏 year👏 last👏 past👏 (supernaturally👏 deficient👏 in👏 originality)👏 rapped👏 out👏 theirs.👏 Mere👏 messages👏 in👏 the👏 earthly👏 order👏 of👏 events👏 had👏 lately👏 come👏 to👏 the👏 English👏 Crown👏 and👏 People,👏 from👏 a👏 congress👏 of👏 British👏 subjects👏 in👏 America:👏 which,👏 strange👏 to👏 relate,👏 have👏 proved👏 more👏 important👏 to👏 the👏 human👏 race👏 than👏 any👏 communications👏 yet👏 received👏 through👏 any👏 of👏 the👏 chickens👏 of👏 the👏 Cock-lane👏 brood. France,👏 less👏 favoured👏 on👏 the👏 whole👏 as👏 to👏 matters👏 spiritual👏 than👏 her👏 sister👏 of👏 the👏 shield👏 and👏 trident,👏 rolled👏 with👏 exceeding👏 smoothness👏 down👏 hill,👏 making👏 paper👏 money👏 and👏 spending👏 it.👏 Under👏 the👏 guidance👏 of👏 her👏 Christian👏 pastors,👏 she👏 entertained👏 herself,👏 besides,👏 with👏 such👏 humane👏 achievements👏 as👏 sentencing👏 a👏 youth👏 to👏 have👏 his👏 hands👏 cut👏 off,👏 his👏 tongue👏 torn👏 out👏 with👏 pincers,👏 and👏 his👏 body👏 burned👏 alive,👏 because👏 he👏 had👏 not👏 kneeled👏 down👏 in👏 the👏 rain👏 to👏 do👏 honour👏 to👏 a👏 dirty👏 procession👏 of👏 monks👏 which👏 passed👏 within👏 his👏 view,👏 at👏 a👏 distance👏 of👏 some👏 fifty👏 or👏 sixty👏 yards.👏 It👏 is👏 likely👏 enough👏 that,👏 rooted👏 in👏 the👏 woods👏 of👏 France👏 and👏 Norway,👏 there👏 were👏 growing👏 trees,👏 when👏 that👏 sufferer👏 was👏 put👏 to👏 death,👏 already👏 marked👏 by👏 the👏 Woodman,👏 Fate,👏 to👏 come👏 down👏 and👏 be👏 sawn👏 into👏 boards,👏 to👏 make👏 a👏 certain👏 movable👏 framework👏 with👏 a👏 sack👏 and👏 a👏 knife👏 in👏 it,👏 terrible👏 in👏 history.👏 It👏 is👏 likely👏 enough👏 that👏 in👏 the👏 rough👏 outhouses👏 of👏 some👏 tillers👏 of👏 the👏 heavy👏 lands👏 adjacent👏 to👏 Paris,👏 there👏 were👏 sheltered👏 from👏 the👏 weather👏 that👏 very👏 day,👏 rude👏 carts,👏 bespattered👏 with👏 rustic👏 mire,👏 snuffed👏 about👏 by👏 pigs,👏 and👏 roosted👏 in👏 by👏 poultry,👏 which👏 the👏 Farmer,👏 Death,👏 had👏 already👏 set👏 apart👏 to👏 be👏 his👏 tumbrils👏 of👏 the👏 Revolution.👏 But👏 that👏 Woodman👏 and👏 that👏 Farmer,👏 though👏 they👏 work👏 unceasingly,👏 work👏 silently,👏 and👏 no👏 one👏 heard👏 them👏 as👏 they👏 went👏 about👏 with👏 muffled👏 tread:👏 the👏 rather,👏 forasmuch👏 as👏 to👏 entertain👏 any👏 suspicion👏 that👏 they👏 were👏 awake,👏 was👏 to👏 be👏 atheistical👏 and👏 traitorous. In👏 England,👏 there👏 was👏 scarcely👏 an👏 amount👏 of👏 order👏 and👏 protection👏 to👏 justify👏 much👏 national👏 boasting.👏 Daring👏 burglaries👏 by👏 armed👏 men,👏 and👏 highway👏 robberies,👏 took👏 place👏 in👏 the👏 capital👏 itself👏 every👏 night;👏 families👏 were👏 publicly👏 cautioned👏 not👏 to👏 go👏 out👏 of👏 town👏 without👏 removing👏 their👏 furniture👏 to👏 upholsterers'👏 warehouses👏 for👏 security;👏 the👏 highwayman👏 in👏 the👏 dark👏 was👏 a👏 City👏 tradesman👏 in👏 the👏 light,👏 and,👏 being👏 recognised👏 and👏 challenged👏 by👏 his👏 fellow-👏 tradesman👏 whom👏 he👏 stopped👏 in👏 his👏 character👏 of👏 "the👏 Captain,"👏 gallantly👏 shot👏 him👏 through👏 the👏 head👏 and👏 rode👏 away;👏 the👏 mall👏 was👏 waylaid👏 by👏 seven👏 robbers,👏 and👏 the👏 guard👏 shot👏 three👏 dead,👏 and👏 then👏 got👏 shot👏 dead👏 himself👏 by👏 the👏 other👏 four,👏 "in👏 consequence👏 of👏 the👏 failure👏 of👏 his👏 ammunition:"👏 after👏 which👏 the👏 mall👏 was👏 robbed👏 in👏 peace;👏 that👏 magnificent👏 potentate,👏 the👏 Lord👏 Mayor👏 of👏 London,👏 was👏 made👏 to👏 stand👏 and👏 deliver👏 on👏 Turnham👏 Green,👏 by👏 one👏 highwayman,👏 who👏 despoiled👏 the👏 illustrious👏 creature👏 in👏 sight👏 of👏 all👏 his👏 retinue;👏 prisoners👏 in👏 London👏 gaols👏 fought👏 battles👏 with👏 their👏 turnkeys,👏 and👏 the👏 majesty👏 of👏 the👏 law👏 fired👏 blunderbusses👏 in👏 among👏 them,👏 loaded👏 with👏 rounds👏 of👏 shot👏 and👏 ball;👏 thieves👏 snipped👏 off👏 diamond👏 crosses👏 from👏 the👏 necks👏 of👏 noble👏 lords👏 at👏 Court👏 drawing-rooms;👏 musketeers👏 went👏 into👏 St.👏 Giles's,👏 to👏 search👏 for👏 contraband👏 goods,👏 and👏 the👏 mob👏 fired👏 on👏 the👏 musketeers,👏 and👏 the👏 musketeers👏 fired👏 on👏 the👏 mob,👏 and👏 nobody👏 thought👏 any👏 of👏 these👏 occurrences👏 much👏 out👏 of👏 the👏 common👏 way.👏 In👏 the👏 midst👏 of👏 them,👏 the👏 hangman,👏 ever👏 busy👏 and👏 ever👏 worse👏 than👏 useless,👏 was👏 in👏 constant👏 requisition;👏 now,👏 stringing👏 up👏 long👏 rows👏 of👏 miscellaneous👏 criminals;👏 now,👏 hanging👏 a👏 housebreaker👏 on👏 Saturday👏 who👏 had👏 been👏 taken👏 on👏 Tuesday;👏 now,👏 burning👏 people👏 in👏 the👏 hand👏 at👏 Newgate👏 by👏 the👏 dozen,👏 and👏 now👏 burning👏 pamphlets👏 at👏 the👏 door👏 of👏 Westminster👏 Hall;👏 to-day,👏 taking👏 the👏 life👏 of👏 an👏 atrocious👏 murderer,👏 and👏 to-morrow👏 of👏 a👏 wretched👏 pilferer👏 who👏 had👏 robbed👏 a👏 farmer's👏 boy👏 of👏 sixpence. All👏 these👏 things,👏 and👏 a👏 thousand👏 like👏 them,👏 came👏 to👏 pass👏 in👏 and👏 close👏 upon👏 the👏 dear👏 old👏 year👏 one👏 thousand👏 seven👏 hundred👏 and👏 seventy-five.👏 Environed👏 by👏 them,👏 while👏 the👏 Woodman👏 and👏 the👏 Farmer👏 worked👏 unheeded,👏 those👏 two👏 of👏 the👏 large👏 jaws,👏 and👏 those👏 other👏 two👏 of👏 the👏 plain👏 and👏 the👏 fair👏 faces,👏 trod👏 with👏 stir👏 enough,👏 and👏 carried👏 their👏 divine👏 rights👏 with👏 a👏 high👏 hand.👏 Thus👏 did👏 the👏 year👏 one👏 thousand👏 seven👏 hundred👏 and👏 seventy-five👏 conduct👏 their👏 Greatnesses,👏 and👏 myriads👏 of👏 small👏 creatures--the👏 creatures👏 of👏 this👏 chronicle👏 among👏 the👏 rest--along👏 the👏 roads👏 that👏 lay👏 before👏 them.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Get Down part 2 ep 4 spoilers: THANK GOD RAMON IS DEAD even if it was obviously because Esposito had Saul and probably other poo poo to do

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Not that I'm ever probably going to go back and catch up on Homeland, but other people might want to.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You know it's actually insane how many sitcoms outright stole from Taxi.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Hank Azaria's Brockmire on IFC was mentioned once in here by a guy who trashed it. I'd like to give an opposing view and tell you I think it's good, funny, and IFC already ordered a second season. You don't need to know anything about baseball to enjoy it. Hank Azaria has been doing the character/voice since he was 15 and was recently sued by some douchenozzle over the voice and Azaria won.

You can get an idea of what you might be getting yourself into with the original sketch it's based on: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/7d1f3b33e7/gamechangers-ep-3-a-legend-in-the-booth-with-hank-azaria

And here's Sepinwall's review: http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/brockmire-premiere-recap-review-rally-cap-winning-streak/2/

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Apr 11, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Attended an advance screening of American Gods.

Note: I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and a huge fan of Bryan Fuller's Hannibal.

It's beautiful, it's fun and it's well acted. But... something about the premiere feels disjointed. I'm told that there's a lot of Shadow Moon inner monologue in the book, and it's not in the show. Maybe it needed that to keep a continuous narrative going from scene to scene. I dunno, but it's good enough that I want to see if it finds its footing. I was a little skeptical about Hannibal at first because their version of Will Graham came across a little gimmicky, and that show ended up being amazing

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Longbaugh01 posted:

Hank Azaria's Brockmire on IFC was mentioned once in here by a guy who trashed it. I'd like to give an opposing view and tell you I think it's good, funny, and IFC already ordered a second season. You don't need to know anything about baseball to enjoy it. Hank Azaria has been doing the character/voice since he was 15 and was recently sued by some douchenozzle over the voice and Azaria won.

Haha it's Chet from Unreal, seems fitting that he'd be that sort of BS Hollywood dispute

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Chop Sunni posted:

Haha it's Chet from Unreal, seems fitting that he'd be that sort of BS Hollywood dispute

Oh. Wait. The douchenozzle was Craig Bierko? Fuuuuuuck. I didn't know that and I like Bierko.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I am surprised that Brockmire is getting zero traction here because the first episode seemed pretty promising...

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Too much drat TV on nowadays.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Steve Yun posted:

Attended an advance screening of American Gods.

Note: I am a big fan of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, and a huge fan of Bryan Fuller's Hannibal.

It's beautiful, it's fun and it's well acted. But... something about the premiere feels disjointed. I'm told that there's a lot of Shadow Moon inner monologue in the book, and it's not in the show. Maybe it needed that to keep a continuous narrative going from scene to scene. I dunno, but it's good enough that I want to see if it finds its footing. I was a little skeptical about Hannibal at first because their version of Will Graham came across a little gimmicky, and that show ended up being amazing

I read the book recently since I heard about the show coming out and have been hearing for years about how amazing it was, and... honestly, I didn't like it that much. The book is kind of disjointed as well, there are a bunch of vignettes about various characters that have nothing to do with the main plot (two of which seem to serve only for the most cringe worthy sex scenes I've read outside Kindle erotica).
The main plot itself wasn't much to write home about either, it had a very Dan Brown "book report in narrative form" quality to it and seemed really wrapped up in how clever its nicknames for the various gods were. Most of the book I was wondering when Poochie was gonna get to the fireworks factory already.

All that said, I'll still give the show a chance, because I like the idea of it, if not the execution.

raditts fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Apr 11, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I was a fan of season one of The Leftovers and then became an even bigger fan with the second season, but all for naught as it was riding the line of cancellation and HBO dropped the hammer...

...except that isn't what happened at all, but somehow that's how I remembered it. So imagine my surprise when several days ago I happen to see an article about a third season and thought it was some sort of joke. But it wasn't, and I was flabbergasted that my memory had altered events so dramatically.

The Leftovers returns for its third and final season this Sunday night. Who's excited?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
MEEEEEEEE (don't go in the show's thread until the season starts)

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Escobarbarian posted:

MEEEEEEEE (don't go in the show's thread until the season starts)

Whew. Thanks for the tip. I actually didn't even realize there was already a thread!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

raditts posted:

I read the book recently since I heard about the show coming out and have been hearing for years about how amazing it was, and... honestly, I didn't like it that much. The book is kind of disjointed as well, there are a bunch of vignettes about various characters that have nothing to do with the main plot (two of which seem to serve only for the most cringe worthy sex scenes I've read outside Kindle erotica).
The main plot itself wasn't much to write home about either, it had a very Dan Brown "book report in narrative form" quality to it and seemed really wrapped up in how clever its nicknames for the various gods were. Most of the book I was wondering when Poochie was gonna get to the fireworks factory already.

All that said, I'll still give the show a chance, because I like the idea of it, if not the execution.

Hmm, good to know. Can you say that the random side vignettes ever revealed anything important about the characters that illuminated their behavior in the main storyline?

edit: There was a sex scene in this premiere episode. It wasn't very cringey, everyone thought it was pretty awesome... maybe it's the sort of thing that plays out better on camera than on paper. But it had nothing to do with anything before and after and was just randomly plopped in.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 11, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Steve Yun posted:

There was a sex scene in this premiere episode. (...) But it had nothing to do with anything before and after and was just randomly plopped in.

Likely mandated by HBO when it was still going to be on their network. It's what they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It isn't HBO anymore?

• Locked thread