Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cabbagepots posted:

How tall is Filia?

On my screen shes 6 inches. I assume gigamaidens will only be playable on jumbotrons and movie projectors to preserve creators intent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

what are the 6 and 7th buttons? assists?

lol why does he give the interviewee choices in every question.. "is it this....or this?" like holy poo poo

Yeah I have the 2 assists mapped to their own buttons

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Real hurthling! posted:

On my screen shes 6 inches. I assume gigamaidens will only be playable on jumbotrons and movie projectors to preserve creators intent

Pathetic.

GigaMaidens can only be played exclusively on the video screen at Charlotte Motor Speedway

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Trykt posted:

Pardon the strange question but I'm having to make some weird wiring decisions with my stick.

Are there any fighting games where you'd actually need 8 buttons? Rising Thunder is the only one I can think of but it's 1. defunct 2. not a game anyone should give a poo poo about anyway

I always keep 8 because games use L2/R2 in their UIs a fair bit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i always liked 6 button

sfv is the only one i use 8 for, with v-trigger and v-skill

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Chev posted:

Nah, see, their GDC presentation says they only have the shadow kind of AI, even for single player opponents. It's just that your personal shadow records new data whenever you train it in the shadow lab while the single player enemy AIs are static records (likely of devs and beta players, though they mention the possibility of patching regularly with new data to keep up with the meta). And I say "record" because that's the really interesting thing: their AIs are really just a bunch of replay data coupled with a search engine. Whenever the AI needs to make a decision, it just searches the replays for the most similar frame (not just in terms of positioning but based on a number of criteria and naturally a sprinkle of RNG) and replays the recorded input from there until the situation differs enough from the replay that a new search has to be made. No input reading from the player. That's why I find it to be so interesting conceptually.

FYI this has been a thing since Tekken started doing it in T5, which came out 13 years ago. The arcade cab had an ID card system with a character ghost on it that had your user name, W/L, and item customizations, but also stored gameplay habits, juggles you use, etc. Other players fighting through the standard arcade mode could encounter your character ghost, and if you won then whenever you put your card in to play next it would dump reward money on you.

It's cute when you see an AI use your juggles but other than that it's still gimmicky and isn't actually performing meaningful decisionmaking or really even following playstyles very closely, no matter how much the KI team wants it to sound cool.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUjNuGvtyz8&t=50s

ok this is the best super move ive seen in a while

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
I've seen it a few times but I just now realized that he time travels to when the Sphinx was whole and causes the nose to get hosed up to how it is now lol

Makes the dinosaurs right after make more sense!

edit: it would be cooler if there was like 10 different time travel scenes you could get and they'd be random every time, maybe make 1 or 2 super rare

Trykt fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 11, 2017

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

anime was right posted:

Why did he dab

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I'm glad Cabbagepots has transitioned into the next stage of goon failure and started 'rolling with the punches.'

anime was right posted:

By best I hope you mean worst good lord that's 3 times too long to be a move that happens in the middle of a round.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Trykt posted:

I've seen it a few times but I just now realized that he time travels to when the Sphinx was whole and causes the nose to get hosed up to how it is now lol

Makes the dinosaurs right after make more sense!

edit: it would be cooler if there was like 10 different time travel scenes you could get and they'd be random every time, maybe make 1 or 2 super rare

time travel to when mike Z was making skullgirls and slam a gorilla into his computer

bahahaha i can't resist

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 11, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

I'm glad Cabbagepots has transitioned into the next stage of goon failure and started 'rolling with the punches.'

By best I hope you mean worst good lord that's 3 times too long to be a move that happens in the middle of a round.

Welcome to NRS fighting games. Go ahead and make a sandwich while you're waiting.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Cabbagepots posted:

time travel to when mike Z was making skullgirls and slam a gorilla into his computer

this starts the alternate timeline where skullgirls is a huge success and becomes a cornerstone of the fgc

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
cabbagepots does mikez have you blocked on twitter

if not i think you know what you have to do

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

CharlestonJew posted:

Is it story time? I think it's story time

Does the name "alias777" ring a bell? Well if not, you'll become familiar with it soon enough. So in PGS there is a thread for a CS:GO inhouse server name "sub.io". It's open for any goon to join, and the skill level is generally "Master Guardian II" (think Gold/Platinum Level in League of Legends, I'm not sure of a fighting game comparison) but all skill levels are allowed to join. We have some hilariously bad people (me) and some really really good people (not quite good enough to go pro but we had a group of guys almost get into the semi-pro leagues not to long ago). Most people are cool to play with and there's a lot of history because, just like Counter Strike, the server has gone through many iterations and other goon communities. We're always open to new people joining and we get a plucky new lad in every so often but there is a pretty set group of regulars.

So one day, a guy named "Mr. Pink" joins the server. And he's bad. Like, really bad. He spends a majority of his first game on the server rushing a spot on the map named "Banana" with bad weapons for doing such a thing. The results of this match are chronicled here. Yes, you need to watch it. Don't worry, I'll wait.

All done? Great.
The general rule is don't be a complete shithead and you'll be fine. Mr. Pink was a complete shithead to Turk, his fellow B Site player, and also one of the server admins. So he gets banned for that. He came in to the thread to plead his case (I think his excuse was he was drunk or something, I can't be assed to go find the initial posting). He promises that next time he'll be better, he'll listen and actively try to improve. Get used to that line right there. we sure did.

Frequently he makes horrible plays. He gets known for "fast smoke plants". You can see an example of this here. Again, required viewing material. Here, he throws a smoke grenade, plants inside of it asap, and then fails to realize that a CT is also in the smoke, defusing the bomb he just planted. He gets asked to stop this behavior across several days, he does it in front of an admin that told him to stop a week ago, acts like a shithead, got banned again. Comes in to thread, begs for a second chance, promises that he's been improving during his time off with the ban, and he won't smoke plant anymore he promises.

Time passes. Some other poo poo happens with some other goons causing drama. One thing remains: Mr. Pink is an unchanging shithead. He gets banned again. Time passes, we hold a tournament! There's a special condition: A team with Mr. Pink on it is formed, under the condition that if they win the tournament he stays unbanned, forever. It was a solid 4 man roster with Pink duct taped to it, but a team of the Old Guard (dudes who have been playin CS since I was in diapers, literally) destroys the entire tournament, winning the meager prize (some lovely skins I uncased the week before) and Mr. Pink remained banned. Until about a month later, when he came into the thread, said that he had improved greatly and asked for....wait for it....a second chance. He gets it because Turk isn't around to yell at everyone else about how he's never coming back. It's at this time when user "Demostrs" (referred to as Demo from here on out) is going to be taking a trip to Chicago, where many CS:GOONS are based, including the notorious Mr. Pink himself. To facilitate communication, Demo and Mr. Pink added eachother on Snapchat. Now throughout this time, Mr. Pink has been very careful about not sharing his personal info with anyone. The only other person he had shared it with was a goon named "garfu", a goon who he had met up with a while before this. He never bothered to look into him. Demo and Mr. Pink go and hangout in Chicago and if memory serves they had an alright time.

A little more time passes, and Dorky(Dork457) starts running joke tryouts for his team "Dorknytas". The first round of tryouts is a drawing competition. User Sleppy wants to do a picture of Mr. Pink, so he tries to get him to send a face pic. Sleppy gets his Snapchat (and maybe the face pic? One of life's greatest mysteries) and by proxy his real name. Sleppy starts digging, and that's where my story ends and his story begins.

There's a lot of videos in the end of that post, all of them are required viewing material. Yes, even the 28 minutes one, and especially the hour long one.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

General Morden posted:

cabbagepots does mikez have you blocked on twitter

if not i think you know what you have to do

No, I don't know. What do I have to do? Have my tiger girl eat an NPC that looks like him? That'd give her some mad hairballs. I wouldn't want that

I don't believe he does have me blocked, in fact I doubt he even knows who I am, but my twitter got deleted anyways so I can't check. lol!

Cabbagepots fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Apr 11, 2017

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So Cabbagepots hates Skullgirls too?

In just a dozen posts of his, I can't think of another poster on this site who has less redeeming qualities.

anime was right posted:

That's too long and distracting to me. Supers should be as "cinematic" as Guilty Gear at most (Instant Kills are an obvious exception for obvious reasons).

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 11, 2017

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Skullgirls is a bad game, sorry for pointing that out

I don't like crappy Marvel clones with only 12 characters consisting of some hipster's deviantart OCs

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Cabbagepots posted:

Skullgirls is a bad game, sorry for pointing that out

I don't like crappy Marvel clones with only 12 characters consisting of some hipster's deviantart OCs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

skullgirls hosed up by not being good.

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Why does this always happen? Do I just naturally bring out the shitposts in people?

I'm legitimately sorry, I should go away for a while, you guys carry on talking about whatever

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

looks loving awesome, what game is this from?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Real hurthling! posted:

skullgirls hosed up by not being good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whats that anime gigamaiden's name and blood type

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Real hurthling! posted:

whats that anime gigamaiden's name and blood type

Name: Sachi
Blood Type: Bitch
Hates: Women, children, dogs, fat people

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

does bitch mean type b? AB is the bitchy type as we all learned from a geocities site at the bottom of a research rabbit hole in the 90's trying to figure out why the gently caress the ffvii manual tells you cloud strife's blood type like it matters

Cabbagepots
Apr 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Whichever one is the bitchy type, yes, that's her

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Nice Soul Calibur custom

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Trykt posted:

It doesn't really matter that it's technically not input reading, it's reacting inhumanly fast to certain game conditions (opponent is in the air and X distance from player, do an anti-air thing) which is effectively the same thing. Either way, it's not good or fun to play against. It's still just a training dummy that lets you hit it sometimes, and not other times.
Actually the rationale exposed in the GDC presentation was that it's only humanly fast, because it really reproduces the recordings without removing anything useless, ie if you record someone who always take 200ms to react to fireballs then the dummy can only find and use sequences that react 200ms after a fireball is thrown. However it's super interesting to me that people still think it's too fast because it says a lot about how the approach's either really good (since it seems to be reacting humanly but emergently guessing right, which was supposed to be a property of the system, but so often people think it's cheating) or bad (due to it providing no better feedback than the standard dumb AI) or even that there's just a bias in player feedback thinking an AI must necessarily cheat. I tend to suspect the problem's not with reaction times but in that you still can't mindgame the dummy.

Brosnan posted:

FYI this has been a thing since Tekken started doing it in T5, which came out 13 years ago. The arcade cab had an ID card system with a character ghost on it that had your user name, W/L, and item customizations, but also stored gameplay habits, juggles you use, etc. Other players fighting through the standard arcade mode could encounter your character ghost, and if you won then whenever you put your card in to play next it would dump reward money on you.

It's cute when you see an AI use your juggles but other than that it's still gimmicky and isn't actually performing meaningful decisionmaking or really even following playstyles very closely, no matter how much the KI team wants it to sound cool.

Tekken really only used stats to feed its existing AI (ie that guy uses combo X 90% of the time so have a 90% chance of using combo X. This hasn't KI's property of replicating useless quirks), ie the system's completely different so the answer's interesting for the same reason (was it worth developing a new AI if people can't tell the difference with the old).

Chev fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 11, 2017

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Jesus what is that ugly garbage.

Actually don't tell me, I'll drink til I forget.

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

That was a pretty good story. I didn't see our colossal friend mentioned anywhere, though, so I'll just assume he's Mr. Pink

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

paging brosnan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_EIMUMpVZY

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 11, 2017

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Brosnan posted:

Even longer than that, it was a thing in the campaign mode of the arcade version of Soul Calibur 2.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The IaMP Japanese community developed a really cool AI that let you feed it whatever replay data you wanted: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Immaterial_and_Missing_Power/th075booster

While the AI defense kind of sucked, it was very effective at learning what blockstrings and setups led to damage, so you could have it "watch" high level tournament replays and grind out against the types of playstyles you preferred. It was extremely useful for leveling up your defense as a newer player.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
some crazy people at a Japanese university developed a puyo AI by pointing a camera at a tv and having it use computer vision and machine learning
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bJuYZ9N16jA

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Fereydun posted:

paging brosnan

omg you actually did it

Shopping cart super ftw

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

These pics are extremely good

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

dragon enthusiast posted:

some crazy people at a Japanese university developed a puyo AI by pointing a camera at a tv and having it use computer vision and machine learning
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bJuYZ9N16jA

interrodactyl posted:

The IaMP Japanese community developed a really cool AI that let you feed it whatever replay data you wanted: http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Immaterial_and_Missing_Power/th075booster

While the AI defense kind of sucked, it was very effective at learning what blockstrings and setups led to damage, so you could have it "watch" high level tournament replays and grind out against the types of playstyles you preferred. It was extremely useful for leveling up your defense as a newer player.
Thanks for those very interesting links. I'll have to see if I can find info about the internals of those.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Yo dudes, Garou and Galaxy Fight are coming to Switch, and I really want both on the go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
ARMS has a release date, it'll be out June 16. They announced a 2v2 mode and a new character (just one... they really need to announce a lot more).

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Yo dudes, Garou and Galaxy Fight are coming to Switch, and I really want both on the go

Samurai Shodown 4 and KOF99, too.