Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

So what was the title of the paperback book that Gene was reading in the beginning during his lunch break?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

So what was the title of the paperback book that Gene was reading in the beginning during his lunch break?

David Niven’s memoir “The Moon’s a Balloon”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Moon%27s_a_Balloon

"The book is a funny yet tragic tale..."

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Longbaugh01 posted:

So glad I decided to catch up on this and that it's back. Mike is scary loving patient and cunning. I didn't even fully realize what he was doing until he pulled out the tracker at the end, and slowly wearing out the battery instead of just yanking it was genius.

I honestly didn't realize the level of Chuck-hate until I read this thread since I only just recently binged the show, and while I totally understand, holy gently caress does Michael McKean act the poo poo out of it. I've never seen him in anything as serious as this and he is great.

Alan Sepinwall posted an entertaining interview with Rhea Seehorn who plays Kim: http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/better-call-saul-rhea-seehorn-kim-wexler-interview/

Um. First off, it's an RF transmitter, not a GPS unit. Secondly, it seems to be a specialized unit and not something that would be sold retail which is why he needed the model/serial number. Thirdly, he needed the same exact model to find out how it and its tracking unit functioned and to fool whoever is tracking him. Fourth, you're probably just trolling and I fell for it, but it's ok because maybe someone reading this legitimately was wondering.

Yeah it seems to be a modern day (well, late 90s/early aughts) version of the tracker used in No Country For Old Men.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Good god, Jimmy erasing the rainbow connecting Kim and himself...

Is he going to paint a giant justice scale tipped to his office?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Longbaugh01 posted:

I honestly didn't realize the level of Chuck-hate until I read this thread since I only just recently binged the show, and while I totally understand, holy gently caress does Michael McKean act the poo poo out of it. I've never seen him in anything as serious as this and he is great.

He's a great villain but I remember reading the season 2 thread and I think SA hates Chuck 100x more than the rest of the world combined

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I don't want his head on a stake or anything but I do know that when Chuck finally gets some sort of comeuppance it's going to be an extremely satisfying moment.

nerox
May 20, 2001
I couldn't hear it real well when I watched last night, but what did Ernesto hear on the recorder? Was it just Jimmy and Chuck's conversation?

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

nerox posted:

I couldn't hear it real well when I watched last night, but what did Ernesto hear on the recorder? Was it just Jimmy and Chuck's conversation?

It was just a clip from the conversation. I think it was at the part where Jimmy talks about switching the numbers.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Which is totally meaningless without context anyway, if I were Ernesto I wouldn't have thought a single thing of it or even known it was anything to bother trying to understand if Chuck hadn't come shrieking in and told me to forget everything I'd heard.

widunder
May 2, 2002
Joe DeRosa :unsmith:

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Cnut the Great posted:

So, so much has happened on this show. It's just that it's mostly character work.

Technically Kim figuring out where to put a semicolon is something happening I guess.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」

some guy on the bus posted:

Technically Kim figuring out where to put a semicolon is something happening I guess.

It's a creative way to showcase her meticulousness combined with her current stress.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Was there a tracker in both cars? If not, how come they didn't notice the car had changed?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

It's a creative way to showcase her meticulousness combined with her current stress.

Yeah, but it's just like the same drama and stress I'm going through this Tuesday morning at work. Want to come watch me in my cube?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Was there a tracker in both cars? If not, how come they didn't notice the car had changed?

The 'job' car was always going to be used once and then dumped, so no problems here.
The private car mike took pains to be inconspicuous about his switch.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm still missing something about the gas caps.

He asked for a cap for a Caprice, which I assume is what the "job" car is (the station wagon). But his personal car is a Chrysler. Which car did he buy the cap from the guy for? Why would he need another one for the job car?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I think that he only got a cap for the private one to replace the newly installed transmitter at night.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Probably done with this show. Slow, boring, stilted emotional plays. See ya Saul, it was a good ride.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
He he, you'll be back.
they always come back.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
:cry: wahhh why aren't they shoots the guns more :cry:

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
The scenes with Mike searching the car, finding the tracker, draining the battery, and baiting his mysterious followers into taking his tracker were all great, and with minimal dialogue and exposition. I wish other shows would take notes.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I don't want his head on a stake or anything but I do know that when Chuck finally gets some sort of comeuppance it's going to be an extremely satisfying moment.

I mean, probably not. He's more likely to die in a tragic way that makes you feel sorry for him.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I know the answer is "because the tv people don't want to do it", but couldn't that tape get Saul disbarred at least? It doesn't need to be criminally provable to do that as far as I know

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
I wanna know how they filmed the time lapse in the Cinnabon and I hope the answer is as simple as I think and it was just "Let's make Bob Odenkirk do a shift at a Cinnabon"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!

L_Harrison posted:

The scenes with Mike searching the car, finding the tracker, draining the battery, and baiting his mysterious followers into taking his tracker were all great, and with minimal dialogue and exposition. I wish other shows would take notes.

drat straight, even when I watch some very good TV the writers' impatience is palpable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

L_Harrison posted:

The cold open too. This is the best visual experience on TV and it's not close.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

The 'job' car was always going to be used once and then dumped, so no problems here.
The private car mike took pains to be inconspicuous about his switch.

But when the guy came to swap the tracker, didn't that guy notice it wasn't a station wagon? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
The "job" car had a tracker too just so that's clear. That's how whoever left the note could even find the car in the middle of the desert.

some guy on the bus posted:

Yeah, but it's just like the same drama and stress I'm going through this Tuesday morning at work. Want to come watch me in my cube?

She's not only fixating on those details because it's her most important case, she's also fixating on them because of her internal turmoil about how she got the case in the first place. You just missed the sub text.

Data Graham posted:

He asked for a cap for a Caprice, which I assume is what the "job" car is (the station wagon). But his personal car is a Chrysler. Which car did he buy the cap from the guy for? Why would he need another one for the job car?

I don't think Mike actually bought any gas cap, he just asked if they sold them as he was mentally working out where the tracker could be.

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Probably done with this show. Slow, boring, stilted emotional plays. See ya Saul, it was a good ride.

*reads custom title*
Checks out!

Edit:

TheAngryDrunk posted:

But when the guy came to swap the tracker, didn't that guy notice it wasn't a station wagon? I'm sure I'm missing something.

Both cars had trackers.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Has Wizard master been in yet to say that the episode is poo poo?

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

Data Graham posted:

Which is totally meaningless without context anyway, if I were Ernesto I wouldn't have thought a single thing of it or even known it was anything to bother trying to understand if Chuck hadn't come shrieking in and told me to forget everything I'd heard.

It would be enough to pique Ernesto's curiosity because Chuck having a tape recorder, hell Chuck ordering batteries is out of left field for him and Ernesto has already shown he will go to Jimmy on stuff like that. Then Jimmy does something dumb to try and get the tape back / destroy it and gets busted on a B/E or whatever and Chuck gets what he wants.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

drunken officeparty posted:

I know the answer is "because the tv people don't want to do it", but couldn't that tape get Saul disbarred at least? It doesn't need to be criminally provable to do that as far as I know

Non-lawyer but just from what my law-friends tell me and reading legal blogs, state disciplinary commissions really don't like to disbar unless the offense is really out there or the lawyer has been convicted on criminal charges. Suspensions for X amount of days are far more common. That said, lawyering is very much a buddy-buddy and networking profession and if you piss off the wrong people, they may have the power to make your life miserable. But I suspect the entire firm would need to be on board for it and right now, Chuck's war is just that of one man.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Are they going to be continuing the BCS insider podcast? I enjoyed listening to it after each episode last season but it hasn't updated and I haven't heard anything about it

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
From Sepinwall's review:

quote:

Because the latter sequence takes place at night, and because Mike doesn’t have anyone to explain himself to (not that he would even if Jesse Pinkman were standing next to him asking questions), it took me until a second viewing to entirely make sense of what happened. So here goes: Mike, using the duplicate tracker his veterinarian friend helped him procure, realizes that the tracker hidden in his gas cap runs on a battery, that the receiver gets a warning when the battery is low, and that odds are greater that the people following him will simply swap out the whole gas cap (with a new tracker) each time the battery needs changing, since that can be done in seconds, rather than the minute or more it would take to dismantle the cap, swap the battery (or tracker), reassemble the cap, and screw it back in. He puts the duplicate tracker, which he has the receiver for, into the car, then runs down the battery from the original tracker by using it to also power his trusty transistor radio. When the batter runs low, he knows the people following him will come to replace it and drive off with what they think is their tracker, but is really his. Once they’ve come and gone, he hops into his sedan and follows from a safe distance, knowing he can use his receiver to keep tabs on their position. It’s not as complicated as, say, Jesse figuring out what Huell did with his cigarettes, but I know I wasn’t the only reviewer who didn’t grasp all the ins and outs of the plan the first time through.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Quote isn't edit! This never happens to me!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I'm really looking forward to seeing how Mike's relationship with Gus develops.

Mike has mentioned that he could not find the true background of Gus, it'd be fun to see him realise that the man is a cypher he cannot crack.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Longbaugh01 posted:

Um. First off, it's an RF transmitter, not a GPS unit. Secondly, it seems to be a specialized unit and not something that would be sold retail which is why he needed the model/serial number. Thirdly, he needed the same exact model to find out how it and its tracking unit functioned and to fool whoever is tracking him. Fourth, you're probably just trolling and I fell for it, but it's ok because maybe someone reading this legitimately was wondering.

Good lord go outside for a while.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I think he just wanted to check the store-rack to see what the car's cap should have looked like. As soon as he realized that the cap he'd pulled out of the car was not the correct-model cap for said car, the jig was up.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
OMG AMC just give Gilligan ALL of the budget, we go crazy the moment the episode ends.
Just give him ALL the budget and make a 24/7 Gilligan channel.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

No Insider Podcast yet :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The part that Ernesto hears is Jimmy saying "I switched 1261 with 1216" or whatever. If Ernesto is in the loop on anything at HHM, he might have heard that they lost the Mesa Verde case. He might also have heard they lost it because of a typo, and maybe even because it was Chuck's fault. He's going to at least know something is up when he hears Jimmy saying "I switched the numbers" and then Chuck freaks out and says it has to be a secret. I'm thinking Chuck is saying it has to be a secret to keep Ernesto from bringing it up to Jimmy.

I didn't think the tracker thing was that confusing. Mike notices there was a generic gas cap in his wagon, after seeing one in the wrecking yard's store. Checks the cap from the wagon and sees the tracker. He checks is own car and sees another tracker. He finds out exactly what it is to know how it works and gets that guy to get him another one. He swaps out the cartel one for the one he bought and runs down the battery of the cartel tracker. They notice the battery is low on theirs so they run over to swap out the gas caps. They will have another cap set up with a third tracker for ease of swapping. They drive off thinking they have their own tracker, but it's actually Mike's.

• Locked thread