Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Was it part of the derail about the exec at Netflix whose only job is to come up with godawful titles for standup specials? I loved that bit.

Indeed it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Fart City posted:

Indeed it was.

I kind of feel like that might be from Daredevil? Like talking about the lovely generic New York backdrops that movie uses?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Punkin Spunkin posted:

hey, what's th edeal with the Cat in the Hat movie? why do I never see it talked about like Bee Movie and Food Fight n poo poo? where's it fit in the Myers oeuvre? cuz it's on TV and it's freaking me the gently caress out

I don't know whether it was "good" or "bad" but it seems like an obvious listener request.

It was my listener request this year. That movie made me pace the room angrily for the 20-30min I could endure. Every bit of it is so ill-conceived and you can almost hear studio execs hoovering cocaine up behind the set.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I've been giving some of my old favourites a listen to. I really like the Planet of the Apes review, not only is it a good review, but its a bit of a watershed moment for me. Tim Burton's Planet of the Apes was the first film I saw in theatres that I really didn't like. Luckily I had already seen a couple of the older Apes films (Conquest is best) or I probably would've ignored the new ones. I actually had to drag my friends to go see Rise with me, because they had only seen the Tim Burton one.

Anyway at the beginning Andrew talks about a Twilight Zone actor, he doesn't say his name but he does say the actor killed his family. I found the guy, TV's Robert Sorrells. Fortunately he did not kill his family. He did however walk into a bar and shoot two strangers. Here's what the IMDB Tribune has to say.

quote:

A bizarre recluse who suffered from a drinking problem in later years, he walked into a Simi Valley bar on July 24, 2004, and shot two customers -- one fatally. He was caught three blocks away by police and arrested for murder.

A devotee of yogi exercise and a vegetarian, he professed to believe in non-violence until his sudden murder spree.

:eyepop:

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
There's no way something involving a Twilight Zone actor wouldn't have an ironic twist ending though.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Maybe he's thinking of someone else, but the very first person who comes to mine for me is the great actor Albert Salmi, who did several TZ episodes, most famously "Of Late I Think Of Cliffordville". Great actor, really intense.

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/04/25/obituaries/albert-salmi-actor-62-is-found-shot-to-death-in-home-with-wife.html

Probably too intense.

Battle Rockers
Aug 3, 2008

i wanna witness ur slit
Looking forward to the Sidekicks episode - one of my favorite movies as a youngster. The DVD price is loving astronomical just because it's OOP I would assume, which is a shame because I really want it. Hopefully a blu-ray comes out down the road.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Sidekicks is the one with Chuck Norris and Mako, right?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Sidekicks is the one with Chuck Norris and Mako, right?

Yep, and RIP Johnathan Brandis.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

ftfy

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Even some of the not-great episodes have some really funny moments.

From Don't Tell Her It's Me:

-Guttenberg in this movie is an incel
-What's an incel?
-It's a reddit word for ''piece of poo poo''

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ravenkult posted:

Even some of the not-great episodes have some really funny moments.

From Don't Tell Her It's Me:

-Guttenberg in this movie is an incel
-What's an incel?
-It's a reddit word for ''piece of poo poo''

I love that they neither agree with internet shitheadery nor act all "whaaaaat? I'm far to cool to have heard of this internet thing" about it.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

They say more, but I don't remember it off hand. I think Eric defines the incel community as an ''endless spiral of bitterness and hate,'' which is probably the most accurate description I've seen.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yep, and RIP Johnathan Brandis.

Mako and Brandis are both dead, but Chuck Norris still walks among us, because there is no justice in this world

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I love that they neither agree with internet shitheadery nor act all "whaaaaat? I'm far to cool to have heard of this internet thing" about it.

My favorite of those was during the Ninja Turtles episode, after referencing reddit earlier in the episode:

Tender Bender posted:

I love when Eric dryly humors their videogame/comic book/etc references.

Steve: "BIG APPLE, THREE AM! That's from the game Turtles in Time."
Eric: "Oh, cool. Is this reddit? "

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mako and Brandis are both dead, but Chuck Norris still walks among us, because there is no justice in this world

And he's a Botox'ed out freak/fake Evangelical Christian too.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

In a good world, Chuck Norris would have died instead of Mako, thus striking him down at the height of Chuck Norris jokes, ending that garbage meme even faster. Plus then we'd still have Mako.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.
Another Trilogy:

The Leslie Dixon Sexual Deception Series
-Mrs. Doubtfire
-Loverboy
-Overboard

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Soup du Jour posted:

In a good world, Chuck Norris would have died instead of Mako, thus striking him down at the height of Chuck Norris jokes, ending that garbage meme even faster. Plus then we'd still have Mako.

Honestly surprised he never came out swinging for Trump and the meme was revived in the most wretched form possible by the alt-right

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Soup du Jour posted:

Alternatively we trade Chuck's death for Bruce Lee's and we never even get to Chuck Norris jokes.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Honestly surprised he never came out swinging for Trump and the meme was revived in the most wretched form possible by the alt-right

His refusal to swear and stuff in Expendables makes me believe he might be one of the rare Christians who actually walks the walk. Like a Ned Flanders who used to star in action movies.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Detective No. 27 posted:

His refusal to swear and stuff in Expendables makes me believe he might be one of the rare Christians who actually walks the walk. Like a Ned Flanders who used to star in action movies.

He went for Huckabee, so yeah, he's like if Ned Flanders wanted to torture gay people to death.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Gyges posted:

Alternatively we trade Chuck's death for Bruce Lee's and we never even get to Chuck Norris jokes.

this would surely be a better world

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

He went for Huckabee, so yeah, he's like if Ned Flanders wanted to torture gay people to death.

And also was terribly racist about Obama.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Re-listening to the Another 48 Hours episode, and I think it's safe to say I will never sour on their Nick Nolte impression. The bit about him being cast in Batman v Superman gets me every time.

"Aw, here comes Doomsday! Fuckin' third act alien, sure! Let's go!"

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Had low expectations for today, since I'm generally uninterested in fight/karate movies but the guys are really goddamn funny this time so it's all good.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I remember watching sidekicks a bunch as a kid and liking it. I probably shouldn't watch it again.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I watched Mac and Me as a kid

I retain no memories of it other than a few vague flashes of some opening scenes

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

I remembered the ending with the aliens driving off and that weird bubble gum bubble to be continued? The rest was a blur until internet reviews.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Barry get the butter

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I like to use good faith and hope people are basically good, but that hasn't been working out for me in 2017.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
There are life four different running jokes this episode and they're all amazing

Violator
May 15, 2003

Dmitri-9 posted:

Barry get the butter

That's a Last Tango in Paris reference, right?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
Okay I'm finally listening to the Power Rangers episode and I'm offended by them hating on Social D. ‪Though they did play in Sydney w/ The Bronx & nobody bought tickets so they gave them away for free & it was awesome.‬

Wait did Mako, Uncle Iroh himself, do live-action Firebending in Sidekicks?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Apr 12, 2017

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Sidekicks really spoke to me as a kid because I was one of those kids with his head in the clouds. Though, I didn't have weird hero fantasies with Chuck Norris where my friends almost become victims to sexual violence. Really looking forward to the Howard the Duck episode next week- been waiting for that one.

In the meantime I've reached the TMNT2 episode of my rebinge and the most egregious, ludicrous opinion that the WHM guys have had is that TMNT is a worse film because it tries to have serious emotional nuance. Like if you can't enjoy the drama of four mutant turtles and their missing rat sensei then you might be an enemy of movies

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

Violator posted:

That's a Last Tango in Paris reference, right?

Yep

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I've never seen Sidekicks but I still have my head in the clouds. I preferred Play It Again, Sam though.
This movie about Mako training a troubled kid sounds like a better Last Airbender movie than the one they did though.

Wait is the kid in Sidekicks the 'OPEN PALM VHS' copypasta kid?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am just waiting for Cumheist 2.

AlliedBiscuit
Oct 23, 2012

Do you want to know the terrifying truth, or do you want to see me sock a few dingers?!!
Sidekicks is a movie that I've "seen" at least a half dozen times. But each time it was only the tournament at the end. I had forgotten everything outside of Piscopo yelling "come on, Norris!" And being kicked so hard he spun cartoonishly like 5-6 times while making goofy noises. Listening to it reminded me of the silly white ninja nunchakus fantasy. I think I always avoided the rest of the movie because it seemed boring.

And man, the local investor who tries to shoehorn in all his failing business ventures is one of my new favorite characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Speaking of which I've got a cousin who runs a shoehorn company, and I really think there should be a scene where Chuck has trouble getting a boot on.