Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Sickening posted:

Again, I find that really hard to believe. A person where ADSM is too hard but Meraki just right, probably shouldn't be managing anything IT. I don't call that cost savings, I call that being reckless.

We've got customers that literally straddle this divide between "comfortable with Meraki but not Cisco." You can argue that maybe they should try harder or whatever, but they exist, and they're the market for Meraki. And that aside there are certain benefits from a management perspective to having a single pane of glass view of your entire network vs managing things on a device by device basis like you do with Cisco. Especially for someone who isn't very network savvy.

wolrah posted:

I'd be willing to agree with either. The "IT person" is the owner's son who's kind of tech savvy.

Just because it's not a surprise doesn't mean it's a model that should be supported.

Would you buy a car that stopped working if you decided not to renew the maintenance contract and instead changed your own consumables? An add-on cloud management platform makes perfect sense for a lot of people, but having that be a mandatory thing for using hardware you've theoretically purchased is insane.

A device that I can't use after I stop making regular payments is a rental, not a purchase. Rentals do make sense in a lot of situations, but long-term network equipment isn't one of those.

It's more akin to a lease, and plenty of companies lease IT gear. We have customers who lease storage. They also understand how their purchase cycles work so they're never in danger of having their storage ripped out from under them because their lease was up.

If you're on a sane purchase cycle you're refreshing hardware every 3-5 years and it doesn't matter if your device bricks in five years because you're replacing it at 4 1/2. If you're on an unpredictable purchase cycle and tend to cheap out and run unsupported equipment then it's probably not for you.

Is your argument that running your critical network equipment without support is a good idea and something you should plan for when buying hardware?

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

wolrah posted:

Right, but offering an automatic cloud management service is not the same as making it mandatory. I 100% see the value in a cloud management service for almost any business with multiple sites. I work for a hosted VoIP company, we're basically doing the same thing with phones. We have the same capabilities as well, you can buy a Polycom or Yealink phone off the shelf anywhere on the planet right now, tell me the MAC address, and then plug it in to the internet and it'll automatically find its way to my provisioning server to pick up a config.

The difference is that if one of my customers decides they can manage their own equipment in-house and stops paying us the hardware still works fine. The services we provide them cease and if we're renting them any equipment we take it back, but the functionality of the hardware they've paid for remains entirely intact for use on their own infrastructure.

UniFi is another great example. Ubiquiti offers a cloud controller service with a recurring fee, or for a small cost they'll sell you a little PoE-powered dongle with a small SoC running Linux and their controller software, or you can just download the software and run it on hardware of your choice. You only pay a recurring fee for the ongoing use of a third party service, the hardware you purchase once and it works until it physically fails.

Funny you mention Yealink, I bought two used phones and they got reset time after time to the POs settings and still worked with the remote PBX, letting me make international calls. Yealink was nice enough to disable it for me.

CrazyLittle posted:

It's an 8 port switch. How deep are you really going to get into the feature set on a device that's sole purpose is to makeup for poor cabling decisions?

I think TDR and such features are neat. I wouldn't pay the huge premium, but they are cool features to have.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

CrazyLittle posted:

It's an 8 port switch. How deep are you really going to get into the feature set on a device that's sole purpose is to makeup for poor cabling decisions?

I use an 8 port switch at home because I don't need more than 8 ports, what are you talking about?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Their 8 port switch can't be powered via PoE :colbert:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Eletriarnation posted:

I use an 8 port switch at home because I don't need more than 8 ports, what are you talking about?
They are most likely talking about "Working in IT", which, incidentally, is the first three words in the title of the thread you are reading.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

anthonypants posted:

They are most likely talking about "Working in IT", which, incidentally, is the first three words in the title of the thread you are reading.

Yeah, I thought about that but the guy was specifically attending a webinar for a free switch which implies that maybe he would be using it for personal use. I mean, he didn't say that his boss was making him attend a webinar...

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SEKCobra posted:

Funny you mention Yealink, I bought two used phones and they got reset time after time to the POs settings and still worked with the remote PBX, letting me make international calls. Yealink was nice enough to disable it for me.
That feature is actually done so that voip providers can amortize the cost of the phones into the cost of the service, so that there's an "enforcement stick" to encourage people to send the phone hardware back if they cancel instead of trying to flip them on the secondary market.

Eletriarnation posted:

The vast majority of 8 port switches I've seen in the wild are used to add more ports to the drop where they only bothered pulling one cable.
The vast majority of home users have no use for a hardware-as-a-service ethernet switch that stops working when the subscription runs out.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Eletriarnation posted:

Yeah, I thought about that but the guy was specifically attending a webinar for a free switch which implies that maybe he would be using it for personal use. I mean, he didn't say that his boss was making him attend a webinar...

Meraki is pretty clear that the units they're giving you are an evaluation so that you can decide if you want to purchase more hardware for your work. Which is also why the evaluation is limited to one eval per company, and not per "home."

HOWEVER they're quite flexible about sending you whatever gear you want to evaluate (48 port switches, full-feature security appliances, phones etc) for a month-long trial if you ask nicely and get a good sales rep.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
^ OK, sure, but nothing stops you from attending for your company and taking the switch if no one else at the company cares.

CrazyLittle posted:

The vast majority of home users have no use for a hardware-as-a-service ethernet switch that stops working when the subscription runs out.

The vast majority of home users don't attend free webinars specifically to get hardware-as-a-service ethernet switches that stop working when the subscription runs out either, so if someone does I assume that maybe they have a use for it or just want to play around with a new gadget? :shrug:

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Eletriarnation posted:

^ OK, sure, but nothing stops you from attending for your company and taking the switch if no one else at the company cares.

The vast majority of home users don't attend free webinars specifically to get hardware-as-a-service ethernet switches that stop working when the subscription runs out either, so if someone does I assume that maybe they have a use for it or just want to play around with a new gadget? :shrug:

It's a $500 switch with 8 ethernet ports.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Eletriarnation posted:

At this point are you still upset that you thought you heard someone making fun of your 8-port switch at home or what

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

CrazyLittle posted:

Meraki is pretty clear that the units they're giving you are an evaluation so that you can decide if you want to purchase more hardware for your work. Which is also why the evaluation is limited to one eval per company, and not per "home."

HOWEVER they're quite flexible about sending you whatever gear you want to evaluate (48 port switches, full-feature security appliances, phones etc) for a month-long trial if you ask nicely and get a good sales rep.

Meraki is extremely clear about the free devices being yours to keep, no strings attached, owned by you. They also offer the free eval of any equipment to everyone, it's even on their website. Nothing to do with reps.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

CrazyLittle posted:

No, it's a free switch with 8 ethernet ports if you attend the webinar. What does the price of the item have to do with whether it has a purpose anyway?

anthonypants posted:

At this point are you still upset that you thought you heard someone making fun of your 8-port switch at home or what
Nah, I just saw a post that didn't make sense and wanted to figure out what the hell was going on. I am pretty confident everyone in this thread understands that 8 port switches have a place, which is why the post was so puzzling.

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 11, 2017

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

Eletriarnation posted:

Playing with random new gadgets is why I got into IT to begin with!

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I use 8 port 2960c switches as my internet side switch to connect external poo poo to HA firewall pairs pretty often v:shobon:v

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CrazyLittle posted:

It's a free 8 port switch actually.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I don't know the model number, but I wouldn't be surprised if the company I worked at that used Meraki used 8 port switches, since a lot of the stores had maybe 6 computers. Or does Meraki make 8 port routers? Even if they do, we probably used both since our network admin was self-taught and arrogant.

Meraki is really handy in cases like having a remote site with really limited speeds available. That way Tier 1 (like I was) could look at usage statistics and tell the sites "Stop streaming Netflix/ESPN/Redtube on your 1.5mbps connection" when they complain the remote desktop apps are unresponsive.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I don't know the model number, but I wouldn't be surprised if the company I worked at that used Meraki used 8 port switches, since a lot of the stores had maybe 6 computers. Or does Meraki make 8 port routers? Even if they do, we probably used both since our network admin was self-taught and arrogant.

Meraki is really handy in cases like having a remote site with really limited speeds available. That way Tier 1 (like I was) could look at usage statistics and tell the sites "Stop streaming Netflix/ESPN/Redtube on your 1.5mbps connection" when they complain the remote desktop apps are unresponsive.

Meraki MX64 or MX65 are their small office edge routers. They have W versions as well if you don't need separate AP's for your wireless.

I'm a huge huge fan of the Meraki Z1. Register them on my dashboard, apply a template, ship them to a remote worker. They get plugged in, auto configure, auto vpn, and I don't have to worry about a thing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

big money big clit posted:

It's more akin to a lease, and plenty of companies lease IT gear. We have customers who lease storage. They also understand how their purchase cycles work so they're never in danger of having their storage ripped out from under them because their lease was up.
This isn't a lease though, it's buying hardware which automatically becomes a useless brick without a separate support contract.

It's just like buying, except when you're done with it you can't let someone in IT take it home to use on their network where a switch having old software really isn't a meaningful concern. Unless these things are a lot cheaper than equivalent standalone hardware which I don't believe is the case I still don't get it.

quote:

Is your argument that running your critical network equipment without support is a good idea and something you should plan for when buying hardware?
Of course not. I just recommend and buy my hardware from vendors who value security over profits and release their security updates publicly rather than attaching them to support contracts. Once it's no longer receiving updates it gets removed from anywhere that has a straightforward path to the general internet or any other public networks. Generally that means replacement and giveaway to interested staff as mentioned above, but in the occasional case that it's something irreplaceable like expensive industrial machinery we firewall it off on a private VLAN with a deny all by default rule and only allow access to the bare minimum number of things it needs to function.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 11, 2017

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

big money big clit posted:

It's a free 8 port switch actually.

Only the first hit's free. That's how dealers get ya

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
If you have a free meraki AP at home that you don't want to pay for after 3 years, cucumber tony is pretty nice.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

wolrah posted:

It's just like buying, except when you're done with it you can't let someone in IT take it home to use on their network where a switch having old software really isn't a meaningful concern.

Why would a company care about this as a factor in its purchasing decision? And even if the switch didn't brick without a license you still wouldn't be able to send it home with an employee because they wouldn't be able to configure it without dashboard access, so your argument here isn't even about the licensing restrictions, it's about the entire cloud configuration model.

Of course, interested staff can get their own Meraki hardware for free by doing a webinar...

quote:

Of course not. I just recommend and buy my hardware from vendors who value security over profits and release their security updates publicly rather than attaching them to support contracts. Once it's no longer receiving updates it gets removed from anywhere that has a straightforward path to the general internet or any other public networks. Generally that means replacement and giveaway to interested staff as mentioned above, but in the occasional case that it's something irreplaceable like expensive industrial machinery we firewall it off on a private VLAN with a deny all by default rule and only allow access to the bare minimum number of things it needs to function.

Well, Meraki switches stop working without a license, so there's certainly no concern over running old out of dates ones out of support, so by this metric they're pretty secure yea? This post sort of got away from you because I don't see what it has to do with Meraki.

The bottom line is that Meraki is selling hardware like its software because the hardware is commodity and the software (both switch and cloud) is the IP and it's ultimately where the value is. If you hate the model that's fine, but that's not a valid reason for companies not to use it.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You know it's going to be one of Those days when the first words I say out loud on the first call of the day are "oh for god's sake take a day off with your self righteous bullshit"

Got a guy who is absolutely the walking dead sick and sounds like a wreck on a call, and he's like, well I didn't want to fall behind on work.

Oh boo hoo, no one thinks you're a superhero, take a day off you silly tit.

At least he's not IN the office so I don't have to forcibly eject him before he infects everyone else.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

We have 22 remote locations - I was curious what anyone is using as a backup access solution, like cellular or?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I'm advising a company that uses 4G failover at their sites to look at different redundancy options because the rates are insane.

Works pretty well, but your bills will be quite high if it's used for any significant period of time.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

We have 22 remote locations - I was curious what anyone is using as a backup access solution, like cellular or?
I thought you had an MPLS between these sites?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

anthonypants posted:

I thought you had an MPLS between these sites?

We do, they also want to investigate another option as extra redundancy.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kensei posted:

We do, they also want to investigate another option as extra redundancy.
Do they know that's going to cost money?

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
The real question is what's your budget? How much bandwidth do those offices use? Could you use broadband from another carrier? That's essentially what I'm advising with the Cradlepoint/4G setup I'm around now. The first Cradlepoints were installed and could only handle a single VLAN, and before they signed off on upgrading I said why don't we look at 4G costs. One day for one site for this company could run as high as $15k.

If you can afford it it's actually pretty cool. The folks I'm working with now cannot haha

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

anthonypants posted:

Do they know that's going to cost money?

Yes

milk milk lemonade posted:

The real question is what's your budget? How much bandwidth do those offices use? Could you use broadband from another carrier? That's essentially what I'm advising with the Cradlepoint/4G setup I'm around now. The first Cradlepoints were installed and could only handle a single VLAN, and before they signed off on upgrading I said why don't we look at 4G costs. One day for one site for this company could run as high as $15k.

If you can afford it it's actually pretty cool. The folks I'm working with now cannot haha

We had a site (one of two that do not have MPLS) that was down for most of Friday due to an after hours Thursday night unplanned switch maintenance (not by me). They lost literally Thousands of Dollars, so as long as that is fresh in their minds, cost is secondary.

mewse
May 2, 2006

kensei posted:

We only have redundancy at our head office which uses fiber but will failover to radio. All (remote, rural) branch offices are radio.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

kensei posted:

Yes

We had a site (one of two that do not have MPLS) that was down for most of Friday due to an after hours Thursday night unplanned switch maintenance (not by me). They lost literally Thousands of Dollars, so as long as that is fresh in their minds, cost is secondary.

Then go check this out: https://cradlepoint.com/products/arc-cba850 and call whoever can offer 4G/LTE/whatever and get pricing.

(Please note I have no idea if there are better failover options out there and I once saw one of these revert to factory settings in a datacenter and start handing out DHCP addresses across 18 sites :laugh: )

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

If you have MPLS, why not use something like Comcast or a cable connection as backup? It will be a lot cheaper and more reliable in a failover than a cell modem.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

If you have MPLS, why not use something like Comcast or a cable connection as backup? It will be a lot cheaper and more reliable in a failover than a cell modem.

Some of our sites do have that as their Internet Circuit. This is a knee jerk reaction to last week's event and I fully expect that I will spend hours on this to have someone veto it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DMVPN over internet works fine. That's what we have as a backup.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

GreenNight posted:

DMVPN over internet works fine. That's what we have as a backup.
That doesn't look like an ISP.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

milk milk lemonade posted:

Then go check this out: https://cradlepoint.com/products/arc-cba850 and call whoever can offer 4G/LTE/whatever and get pricing.

(Please note I have no idea if there are better failover options out there and I once saw one of these revert to factory settings in a datacenter and start handing out DHCP addresses across 18 sites :laugh: )

Thanks for this :)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is AirWatch any good?

I'm ordering some laptops (Macs) for the office and I need a MDM and don't want to host my own.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Matt Zerella posted:

Is AirWatch any good?

I'm ordering some laptops (Macs) for the office and I need a MDM and don't want to host my own.

Honestly... it's terrible. But it's about as good as everything else we've tried to use.
We've been trying to figure out how to get this poo poo to actually work for about a year now. I'm still not sure if remote wipe actually works. I've done it, but it's failed more times than succeeded.
App management is absolutely not present. We're jumping through hoops right now to get Google for work Android For Work set up to actually work.

But I digress, this is really all phone-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Matt Zerella posted:

Is AirWatch any good?

It's better than BES, not that it's a high bar