Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lockback posted:

Any benchmarks up comparing the R5 to an i7 7700k? It looks like the R5 blows the i5 out of the water overall, but I live near a Microcenter so the total cost between an R5 and an i7 setup is like $40.

I feel like a lot of reviews avoid comparing AMDs CPUs to the 7700 in both R7 and R5, which seems like a real sweet spot for an 8T CPU in terms of value. Frustrating.

Microcenter has good pricing on the R5s also though, I see an R5-1600 for $170 at my local Microcenter as part of a mobo bundle.

poo poo, why mess with any of that when you can get an R7-1700X + mobo for $380 total?

I guess the answer is because you can get a 1600 + mobo for $250 pretax total! They're even more aggressive on R5 pricing than I thought.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

eames posted:

AMD CPU and Platfrom Discussion: I'm trying to force myself to use the Ryzen

I'm still on the fence for my next system. unRAID for example has an issue where it'll regularly crash on Ryzen unless the "global C-States" option is disabled, so the CPU never clocks down and idles at 80W. :bravo:
If anything it should make Skylake-X/Kabylake-X a bit more affordable.

To be fair, all of my workflow and stuff is on my i7 6700k System with an nVME Samsung 960 Pro drive. It's a pain to reinstall Adobe, frameworks, and all of that jazz. It's all been installed though so it's been peachy.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Risky Bisquick posted:

Get Corsair vengeance LPX, 3000+ C14/C15/C16. The hynix chips should be good for 2933 now on all boards, the samsung b-die should work 3200 without BCLK shenanigans.

You're board of choice seems special snowflake there are not many validations here site:valid.x86.fr "ASRock AB350M"

Warning, the Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz is unstable on my Gigabyte AB360M Gaming 3 (MicroATX)

Running it at 3200, it boots but tends to make programs crash when under extreme load. You can game on it, but once you start encoding video it starts to bug out. I'll have to google a way to manually set the speed to match the 3000 MHz, which I heard runs stable.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Set it to 2933, or try upping soc voltage +.1 and VDIMM to 1.4 with the same timings, or looser :shrug:

vvvv Totally B-die right there C14, shame about the height of the ram heatspreader

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 12, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lungboy posted:

The 7700k is in lots of the reviews that are out there.

What is the recommended ram for a Ryzen system at the moment? I'm interested in an ASRock ab350M Pro4 but there are very few options at even 3000hz, and zero at 3200. Given that Ryzen seems to love higher speed ram, that's rather annoying.

G. Skill Flare X is 3200MHz 14CAS made specifically for Ryzen CPUs.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232530&cm_re=g_skill_flare_x-_-20-232-530-_-Product

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

eames posted:

I'm still on the fence for my next system. unRAID for example has an issue where it'll regularly crash on Ryzen unless the "global C-States" option is disabled, so the CPU never clocks down and idles at 80W. :bravo:
:stare:
I really want to move my unraid box from its 8370E to a Ryzen, but drat they need to make it not huff juice at idle. If I could get lower idle draw and GPU passthrough it'd be an easy choice.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

eames posted:

The CPU never clocks down, or is it the same thing with Windows and the high-performance power profile and the CPU is better off managing its own resources?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So if I were to go out and get a Ryzen CPU + Mobo + RAM Right meow, what would be the best option if I wanted to run memory as fast as possible? Going to be upgrading an i7-3770K

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

So if I were to go out and get a Ryzen CPU + Mobo + RAM Right meow, what would be the best option if I wanted to run memory as fast as possible? Going to be upgrading an i7-3770K

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Which CPU and Mobo?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

16GB for $174 is a bummer though.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The CPU never clocks down, or is it the same thing with Windows and the high-performance power profile and the CPU is better off managing its own resources?

No it isn't related to the Windows power profile. Ryzen systems with unRAID crash within less than 24 hours unless that particular C-State related BIOS option is enabled*. The "workaround" forces the CPU into State C0 which disables all power saving features. All cores run at full frequency and Vcore while idle but at least it is stable.

You can find a more detailed report in the unRAID Ryzen thread on their forums, the whole thing should be resolved with a future unraid/kernel update but this is exactly the kind of bug I don't want to bother with.

* some boards don't have the option, those are doomed to crash every few hours. :dealwithit:#

ZobarStyl posted:

I really want to move my unraid box from its 8370E to a Ryzen, but drat they need to make it not huff juice at idle. If I could get lower idle draw and GPU passthrough it'd be an easy choice.

:same:
The problem is that Ryzen boxes with working C-States still seem to idle around 60-70W but I'm not sure if that's just the price of 8C/16T or the platform isn't optimized yet. My 4 core Haswell Xeon with 16GB and a 1060 only pulls 35W when all drives are spun down.

eames fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 12, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

Which CPU and Mobo?

The Asus Crosshair 6 Hero is the only motherboard I've seen tested with that memory kit, but I'm sure there are other options. If you're looking for the best overall CPU for the money it would be the R7 1700 since most of them can be overclocked to around 4GHz, eliminating the need for one of the more expensive CPUs.

Obsurveyor posted:

16GB for $174 is a bummer though.

Yeah, that does suck. Also, I've only seen 16GB kits of 3200MHz so far.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 12, 2017

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

This is the one I have bought, I will report on it (and its compatibility with Asrock Taichi) as soon as I have it.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Dante80 posted:

This is the one I have bought, I will report on it (and its compatibility with Asrock Taichi) as soon as I have it.

JayzTwoCents got good results on the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero, but I haven't seen Taichi results yet. G. Skill says it's compatible with it, though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Klyith posted:

PC perspective.

TR's review has a 7700k in it, but they're only done with part 1 (videogames) so far.

Thanks!

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
drat no one local has that memory. Impulse buy denied 😑

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Regrettable posted:

JayzTwoCents got good results on the Asus Crosshair 6 Hero, but I haven't seen Taichi results yet. G. Skill says it's compatible with it, though.

It's also on the ASRock QVL.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, apparently the Bayonetta PC port is utterly unplayable on AMD CPUs right now? And not just Ryzen, everything going back to early Bulldozer is unplayable, or so I hear. :hmm:

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kirtar posted:

It's also on the ASRock QVL.

Sadly not on the matx ones.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lungboy posted:

Sadly not on the matx ones.

I see a qvl for their matx boards.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Don Lapre posted:

I see a qvl for their matx boards.

No G.Skillz Flare X on them though is there?

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So, apparently the Bayonetta PC port is utterly unplayable on AMD CPUs right now? And not just Ryzen, everything going back to early Bulldozer is unplayable, or so I hear. :hmm:

The japanese don't understand pc's and probably only have intel in their country.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I've got a fairly significant portion of what I am gonna put in the new OP (Jesus Christ I'm sorry it's been this long, I've just been busy and it's been a slow process to have things settle down). I'd love some thoughts on what else to include, outside of some stuff about the future (Raven Ridge and Snowy Owl, maybe a mention of Pinnacle Ridge?).

https://pastebin.com/raw/eeZKLZVq

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Lungboy posted:

No G.Skillz Flare X on them though is there?

Sorry I thought you meant there was no qvl

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Sinestro posted:

I've got a fairly significant portion of what I am gonna put in the new OP (Jesus Christ I'm sorry it's been this long, I've just been busy and it's been a slow process to have things settle down). I'd love some thoughts on what else to include, outside of some stuff about the future (Raven Ridge and Snowy Owl, maybe a mention of Pinnacle Ridge?).

looks to be ok.

Richardanator
May 8, 2006

Mmmm.....

Sinestro posted:

it's a little confusing when you say that the price/performance is indisputable when compared to kaby lake, and then later say that it's controversial. Might want to mention something about scaling well with ram speed, and then the ram fiasco.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
Yeah, it needs a bit of editing but I think it's pretty good. I'll post it tonight.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

You should be very careful about recommending that people mess with the Ryzen BCLK; at least one person who seems to know his poo poo recommends against doing so outside of extreme OC situations because it starts affecting other critical speeds in the system like the PCIe bus.

quote:

Overclocking the base clock (BCLK) on AM4 platform is possible, however generally not recommended. This is due to its frequency relations with other interfaces, such as the PCIe. Unlike with Intel's more recent CPUs, there is no asynchronous mode (straps / gears) available, which would allow stepping down the PCIe frequency at certain intervals. The PCIe frequency relation is fixed and therefore it increases at the same rate with the BCLK. Gen. 3 operation can generally be sustained up to ~107MHz frequency and higher speeds will usually require forcing the links to either Gen. 2 or to Gen. 1 modes.

Unstable PCIe can cause various issues, such as system crashes, data corruption (M.2 SSDs), graphical artifacts and various kinds of other undefined behavior.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ryzen-strictly-technical.2500572/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
My hot take: get better performance out of your peripherals with a mild BCLK overclock.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Retailer broke date, someone got an RX 570 early: https://www.reddit.com/r/amd/comments/652dnk

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 13, 2017

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm down for Polaris 2: electric boogaloo if 580s can hit 1500-1550 on air without too much voltage. Pretty sure it can outrun nearly all 1060s at that speed.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Seamonster posted:

I'm down for Polaris 2: electric boogaloo if 580s can hit 1500-1550 on air without too much voltage. Pretty sure it can outrun nearly all 1060s at that speed.

we are looking for 1500+ for memory right because that 570 above have this listed

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Unngggg hurry the gently caress up with Vega, Raja.

Although at least the 580 / R5 launching close together is pretty good timing.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

On the topic of coolers, can anyone recommend a fan-based one for a 1600X Micro-ATX build? I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

wargames posted:

we are looking for 1500+ for memory right because that 570 above have this listed

core clock...

That is not to say that Polaris doesn't benefit from faster memory because it does. Reference memory for the 570 is 1650mhz.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Obsurveyor posted:

On the topic of coolers, can anyone recommend a fan-based one for a 1600X Micro-ATX build? I don't plan on doing any overclocking.

I would have to double check the tower heights vs your case, but the typical recommendations <$50 I see are the CM Hyper 212+, Cryorig H7, and Thermalright True Spirit 140 Direct. The last one is probably the most likely to have problems fitting and you'll have to deal with the usual HDT fun, but its performance and noise is on-par with the NH-U12S. I have not checked which of these have AM4 mounting available. If your case restriction basically requires type that has the fan blowing towards the motherboard (e.g. NH-L12), I don't know a whole lot about those.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 13, 2017

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kirtar posted:

I have not checked which of these have AM4 mounting available.

The H7 definitely does.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Who'd have imagined a couple years ago that AMD's CPU lineup would be vastly more exciting than the GPU lineup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bareback Werewolf
Oct 5, 2013
~*blessed by the algorithm*~
Cooler Master has upgrade brackets available on their website, but I think they're all sold out unfortunately.

• Locked thread