Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Did Sonic Chronicles have a conversation wheel?

Yes, and dating mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Review scores are wildly subjective

You are the dope of the day. Congratulations.

edit: Actually, I apologize for the negativity and offer to you all to join me in enjoying this fine piece of music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 3, 2017

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

beep by grandpa posted:

You are the dope of the day. Congratulations.

edit: Actually, I apologize for the negativity and offer to you all to join me in enjoying this fine piece of music:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrpglqYeQBc

Never stops being funny. Even Sonic 06 had a good soundtrack at least.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I thought Sonic Chronicles was good when I was a kid as long as you kept the sound off.

Anyways, here is some very upsetting official content.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/849778711817666560

:holymoley:

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I'm glad Sonic realizes that pepsi ad is really bad.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Some of the Sonic Chronicles metacritic blurbs are loving bizarre, not to mention 1up giving it a loving 100.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Sonic Chronicles literally ends with a looping dialogue tree about Bioware developers.

Not a credits roll. Tails talking about how cool a few Bioware developers were.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/848944150862897152

??? Nega?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 6, 2017

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Sonic Twitter is the best thing about the whole franchise. You go, aging social media employee.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Mikedawson posted:

The thing I like about it is everyone, everywhere hates it across the entire political spectrum. It brought us all together, even sonic :blush:

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Screaming Idiot posted:

Sonic Twitter is the best thing about the whole franchise. You go, aging social media employee.

Ah, yes, that aging 27 year old guy. Sure does know how to keep in touch with today's youth in a manner you don't expect from senior citizens like that these days.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Unlike my hero Sonic the hedgehog who is forever 15, we are all aging friend.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

And also he's bi

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

But from his rejections of Amy, a proud volcel. That's why he's so powerful.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mikedawson posted:

I live under a rock so thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Just lol at all of it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

beep by grandpa posted:

But from his rejections of Amy, a proud volcel. That's why he's so powerful.
Canonically Amy is 12 years old, but regardless his constant disintrest makes Sonic a true Ace icon.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Trasson posted:

Ah, yes, that aging 27 year old guy.

In anime years that's practically ancient, he'd be the grizzled old veteran whose moved on from this life and is looking for someone to carry on his legacy.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Trasson posted:

Ah, yes, that aging 27 year old guy. Sure does know how to keep in touch with today's youth in a manner you don't expect from senior citizens like that these days.

look, if you're over 13 and enjoy sonic even as a job, there is something wrong with you

we are all broken people here, friend

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qip7BstpfUE

New ARG

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Found this in a backyard as I walked around Lake Youngs

way past cool!

e: do they still make these i kinda want to buy some

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, I chuckled at Lawful 3 & Knuckles.

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

way past cool!

They do still exist! https://www.bluebunny.com/flavor/sonic-bar

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/04/sonic-mania-will-feature-levels-inspired-by-scrapped-mega-drive-stages/

This is kind of who cares and doesn't confirm, but apparently you can already pick out scrapped assets being used in the new zones.

As an aside, it took me weeks to figure out why the "Sonic burns wood" thing in the GHZA2 videos was so familiar. Turns out while it isn't the same animation, it was done in Sonic 3.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Hey look this game's out now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/601810/

Spark the Electric Jester, from lakefeperd aka the Sonic Before the Sequel guy. It's a game very much in the vein of Freedom Planet in that it's basically Sonic's movement style but with a whole lot of other games mixed in there for good measure. Also it's visually really amateur hour, this guy's not a very good artist. Hopefully it plays fine.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I can't tell if that sprite is a bad Dynamite Headdy edit or a poorly-drawn original character by a guy who really likes Dynamite Headdy.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

way past cool!

Yes icecream trucks still sell them across the US. The wrapper has changed over the years. Good luck finding a suburb with a healthy enough local economy for ice cream trucks, but they're out there.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Amppelix posted:

Spark the Electric Jester, from lakefeperd aka the Sonic Before the Sequel guy. It's a game very much in the vein of Freedom Planet in that it's basically Sonic's movement style but with a whole lot of other games mixed in there for good measure. Also it's visually really amateur hour, this guy's not a very good artist. Hopefully it plays fine.

I like the level of momentum in the video. I might throw some money down at some point.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Amppelix posted:

this art is like straight out of the late 90s/early 2000s era sonic fangame community or something, in a real bad way. yikes. the gameplay looks solid but he really could have used some help from a good sprite artist

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
More Sonic Forces info:

quote:

A new interview with Takashi Iizuka was included in the latest issue of Famitsu, along with info on Sonic Mania and Sonic Forces. What we’ve learned is below, most of which translated by various people, including SourceGaming and Woun. Nothing about Sonic Mania was of much note:

-The third character in Forces will be an “unexpected character”. Sonic Boom Sonic is NOT in the game. However, the third character “plays an important role in the story, and embodies the overall features of the game”.
-There is a circular ring of white stars above a Mirage Saloon screenshot in Sonic Mania, suggesting the return of Sonic 3’s bonus stages.
-“The boost system from Sonic Unleashed is present, as well as stages based on reaching the goal and clearing them a certain time limit also seem to be present.”
-“Classic Sonic stages are based on side scrolling 2D action.” Apparently, they will also have a twist.
-Sonic Forces will be at E3 this year.
-Sonic Forces’ story summary from the magazine: “Dr. Eggman took over 99% of the world. Sonic and the “Resistance” members are fighting. Then another Sonic appears…” It then talks about Classic Sonic appearing, Classic and Modern being two different style, and then there being a third one.
-Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings, Black Knight, and Sonic Colors. He also directed Sonic Lost World.
-Sonic Forces has been in development since 2013, and started around Sonic Lost World’s release.
-“Forces was chosen as a subtitle from it meaning “power” and “army”. Two strong forces (Sonic and co vs. Eggman) are facing off in the game.”
-“This time, Sonic is fighting an Eggman who has nearly taken over the world.”
-2017, with the release of Sonic Forces and Sonic Mania, is a “continuation” of Sonic’s 25th anniversary.
-The game won’t be all dark and gloomy. There are some lighter stages in Forces.

And some Mania info:

quote:

Sonic Mania’s development began in 2015. Sonic Team wanted to do a new 2D Sonic game and “not a remake”.
The general rule for the art of Sonic Mania was to be above the level of Genesis, but under the level of Saturn.
The gameplay for Mania is similar to Sonic 3’s. The elemental shields were mentioned, but just that they are returning (that, we already knew).

Source: http://www.tssznews.com/2017/04/12/famitsu-has-released-new-information-on-sonic-mania-forces-iizuka-interview/ via NeoGAF

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Have we heard anything about giant rings yet? Because otherwise the circle of stars could just be the entrance to the special stages like it was in Sonic 2.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 12, 2017

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Giant Rings are definitely in, they showed them in Green Hill iirc.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
"Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings, Black Knight, and Sonic Colors. He also directed Sonic Lost World."

That seems like not great news.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Giant Rings are definitely in, they showed them in Green Hill iirc.

We've seen the wireframe ones in various demos which are presumably deactivated placeholders.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spacebump posted:

"Morio Kishimoto is the director of Sonic Forces. He designed Secret Rings, Black Knight, and Sonic Colors. He also directed Sonic Lost World."

That seems like not great news.

Sonic Colors is probably unironically the very best 3D Sonic game. Colors and Black Knight had potential but suffered a ton for being Wiimote waggle designed. It's not as bad as it sounds though it probably means it'll be cheesy as hell.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*begins hyperventilating*

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I like Sonic and the Black Knight a lot, even if it's flawed.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ImpAtom posted:

Sonic Colors is probably unironically the very best 3D Sonic game.

it's only like 10% 3D and the 3D sections are literally just straight lines

TFRazorsaw posted:

I like Sonic and the Black Knight a lot, even if it's flawed.

I like everything about Sonic and the Black Knight except for that nasty little "gameplay" thing

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I had fun with it. It's rough around the edges but there's some good stuff going on there.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

I had fun with it. It's rough around the edges but there's some good stuff going on there.

I thought it was a better game than Secret Rings at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I hope the half-pipe special stage doesn't come back. It's been done so many times and imho the only time it was actually fun, well designed and not frustrating/unfair was Sonic 3D Blast on the sega saturn.