Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Modded minecraft as we know it does not exist on mobile platforms, though it will have a marketplace soon with minecraft coins, so I think that's where the masses are heading

And for the love of god, teach your children to play FPS games with a keyboard / mouse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
Okay, I'm starting to really dislike Aquaculture. It fills up the fishing loot tables with a whole bunch of junk fish that you can't do anything but turn into food and keeps you from catching the fish you actually want for potions. Am I missing something here? I haven't seen a single one of the vanilla fish in Beyond, and the Aquaculture ones don't ore dictionary into the stuff you need for potions whatsoever.

In Beyond, anyway. I have no idea if they did something funny with config changes, but from the bit of looking around I did, the fish you use for Luck of the Sea and Water Breathing are not supposed to be very rare? 4 game days of fishing across ocean, forest, and river turned up not one salmon or pufferfish.

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 11, 2017

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

I was wrong in version, but correct in concept. 1.7 is Peak Mod, not 1.2.5. There will be new mods for new versions of course, but interest in Minecraft is on the down slope not the upslope now. That means for each new version there will be less mods than the version before.

I wish there was a way to get 1.2.5 Rutibex to argue with 1.7.10 Rutibex and we could lock the two of you in a box somewhere.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

More Generators mod looking weird

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

I wish there was a way to get 1.2.5 Rutibex to argue with 1.7.10 Rutibex and we could lock the two of you in a box somewhere.

Those two fight within me, the box is my soul. 1.7.10 is not perfect it lacks Somnia, the mod that speeds up the world clock as you sleep in real-time.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Toadsmash posted:

Okay, I'm starting to really dislike Aquaculture. It fills up the fishing loot tables with a whole bunch of junk fish that you can't do anything but turn into food and keeps you from catching the fish you actually want for potions. Am I missing something here? I haven't seen a single one of the vanilla fish in Beyond, and the Aquaculture ones don't ore dictionary into the stuff you need for potions whatsoever.

In Beyond, anyway. I have no idea if they did something funny with config changes, but from the bit of looking around I did, the fish you use for Luck of the Sea and Water Breathing are not supposed to be very rare? 4 game days of fishing across ocean, forest, and river turned up not one salmon or pufferfish.

This was because of the way Aquaculture was coded to minimize compatibility issues. If you want to catch vanilla fish, you have to use a vanilla fishing rod. Whoops!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Rutibex posted:

Those two fight within me, the box is my soul. 1.7.10 is not perfect it lacks Somnia, the mod that speeds up the world clock as you sleep in real-time.

drat I forgot about that mod, it would have made my efforts to breed every magical seed to 10/10/10 much quicker.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
Alright so I have an opinion question for everyone since Chicken Bones just updated everything to 1.11.2, NEI or JEI? All I've used recently is JEI because I've been playing modded 1.10/1.11 but now that NEI is updated is it a better mod or basically the same thing?

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Alright so I have an opinion question for everyone since Chicken Bones just updated everything to 1.11.2, NEI or JEI? All I've used recently is JEI because I've been playing modded 1.10/1.11 but now that NEI is updated is it a better mod or basically the same thing?

Use JEI. NEI is pretty much worse at this point. If both are installed, NEI will act as a JEI plugin instead, giving you the old extra NEI functionalities (such as the old light level overlay and chunk overlays).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

You don't even need a chunk overlay mod any more -- hold F3 and hit G and you'll get them. It's built in to vanilla minecraft now.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Serifina posted:

Use JEI. NEI is pretty much worse at this point. If both are installed, NEI will act as a JEI plugin instead, giving you the old extra NEI functionalities (such as the old light level overlay and chunk overlays).

Sweet thanks for that. Also for all this talk of the modding community slowing down it seems to me that there are just as many mods to replace those that don't get updated. Also for the real popular ones like Magic Crops someone else will take the torch and keep it going and just change the name.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

Sweet thanks for that. Also for all this talk of the modding community slowing down it seems to me that there are just as many mods to replace those that don't get updated. Also for the real popular ones like Magic Crops someone else will take the torch and keep it going and just change the name.

Ignore Rutibex. He's wrong, he's been wrong about Minecraft for ages, but he'll never accept it. The big reason 1.7.10 has so many mods is because it was the primary version for an incredibly extended period of time. Mods are catching up or being replaced and new ones being made constantly for 1.10.2 and 1.11.2. Any popular project that's open source that gets abandoned will get picked up and continued, or newer, fresher, and often better alternatives will come out.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Serifina posted:

Ignore Rutibex. He's wrong, he's been wrong about Minecraft for ages, but he'll never accept it. The big reason 1.7.10 has so many mods is because it was the primary version for an incredibly extended period of time. Mods are catching up or being replaced and new ones being made constantly for 1.10.2 and 1.11.2. Any popular project that's open source that gets abandoned will get picked up and continued, or newer, fresher, and often better alternatives will come out.

I mean I figured but since I'm relatively new to the thread so I didn't want to be a jackass so I figured I'd put it in the nicest way possible that modding isn't going anywhere and Minecraft is not gonna die anytime soon.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You don't even need a chunk overlay mod any more -- hold F3 and hit G and you'll get them. It's built in to vanilla minecraft now.

I did not know this. Although the NEI overlay is still mostly better. Did a quick comparison... vanilla mc one shows a 2x2 block grid with blue lines every 16 vertical. The NEI overlay is 1x1 block grid and only extends 16 blocks up. And the NEI overlay has a chunk center indicator which is sometimes quite useful. And I prefer the grid style light overlay. The numbers one that a different mod offers is slightly distracting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hey Fingercuffs posted:

I mean I figured but since I'm relatively new to the thread so I didn't want to be a jackass so I figured I'd put it in the nicest way possible that modding isn't going anywhere and Minecraft is not gonna die anytime soon.

I'm not saying the mods will die or stop being produced. I am saying that the rate of mod production has decreased, because the interest in modded Minecraft has decreased over the years. Heck this modded Minecraft thread used to have a new replacement all the time, things changed so much we need a new thread every 6 months. It has not changed in ages, and the discussion is way down.

This means that no version of Minecraft is ever going to surpass version 1.7.10, because there is not enough modders worth of effort to do so. 1.10.2 will never have as many mods, because modders are now focusing on 1.11.2. We have reached Peak Mods, like peak oil. Peak oil doesn't mean oil production stops, it means you have reached peak capacity and oil production will now steadily decrease. The only way for a new Minecraft version to surpass 1.7.10 in terms of mods would be for Microsoft to stop development. If they stop releasing new Minecraft versions and breaking all the mods it will be possible for this theoretical "final" Minecraft version to catch up. But I doubt this will happen, Microsoft want to kill modding so they can release Minecraft 2 with paid mods.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:goonsay:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

I'm not saying the mods will die or stop being produced. I am saying that the rate of mod production has decreased, because the interest in modded Minecraft has decreased over the years. Heck this modded Minecraft thread used to have a new replacement all the time, things changed so much we need a new thread every 6 months. It has not changed in ages, and the discussion is way down.

This means that no version of Minecraft is ever going to surpass version 1.7.10, because there is not enough modders worth of effort to do so. 1.10.2 will never have as many mods, because modders are now focusing on 1.11.2. We have reached Peak Mods, like peak oil. Peak oil doesn't mean oil production stops, it means you have reached peak capacity and oil production will now steadily decrease. The only way for a new Minecraft version to surpass 1.7.10 in terms of mods would be for Microsoft to stop development. If they stop releasing new Minecraft versions and breaking all the mods it will be possible for this theoretical "final" Minecraft version to catch up. But I doubt this will happen, Microsoft want to kill modding so they can release Minecraft 2 with paid mods.

Literally any evidence other than your random assertion that this is the case (especially since you've been completely and utterly wrong before about this literal exact same issue) would go a long way toward you not being made fun of. You might even convince people that the sky really is falling on the world of people making mods for a video game.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rutibex posted:

The rate of mod production is fine. You want mods? Go look at the Minecraft Forum. There's new threads for things being posted there all the time. Quantity of mods is no indication of quality - 1.7.10 has a lot of really lovely and abandoned mods. (1.10.2 also has lovely and abandoned mods, they just pile up over time).

Microsoft has shown absolutely zero interest in killing this version of Minecraft. If they wanted to do so, they could. Easily. Your conspiracy theory holds no water.

The usage of threads here on SA have decreased because, in general, people on this forum have either mostly gone elsewhere to talk about it, or are playing other things. But SA has always been a relatively small portion of the Minecraft community anyway.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Monkey posted:

Literally any evidence other than your random assertion that this is the case (especially since you've been completely and utterly wrong before about this literal exact same issue) would go a long way toward you not being made fun of. You might even convince people that the sky really is falling on the world of people making mods for a video game.

Ok, how about this for an objective measure in modded minecraft interest. Direwolf20 Season 4 Episode 1 709,754 views vs Direwolf20 Invasion Ep1 Do what now 115,901 views
That is a seven fold decrease in interest! Especially considering the production values of the videos has increased over the years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0hG7YGwy1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp4RKlGVSBI

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Viewership of a single streamer's videos doesn't really illustrate your point. It makes you look even more like you don't know what you're talking about though.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

The draw of modded minecraft has changed demographic with the explosion in popularity of minecraft. The average Direwolf20 modded lets play has about 40k views. Stampylonghead can get upward of 300k views.

What this means is that we're the grognards of minecraft complaining about how it's too easy to generate RF in an obscure modpack while everyone else is playing the new stuff and not giving a poo poo cos they're laughing at some youtube chimp with a high pitched voice falling down a hole.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rutibex posted:

Ok, how about this for an objective measure in modded minecraft interest. Direwolf20 Season 4 Episode 1 709,754 views vs Direwolf20 Invasion Ep1 Do what now 115,901 views
That is a seven fold decrease in interest! Especially considering the production values of the videos has increased over the years:

man you are the laziest cherry picker in the world, you need to step up your troll game

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Rutibex posted:

By this totally flawless objective measurement compared against the rate of mod development, then I'd say mods are actually getting more common, per capita!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

AceClown posted:

The draw of modded minecraft has changed demographic with the explosion in popularity of minecraft. The average Direwolf20 modded lets play has about 40k views. Stampylonghead can get upward of 300k views.

What this means is that we're the grognards of minecraft complaining about how it's too easy to generate RF in an obscure modpack while everyone else is playing the new stuff and not giving a poo poo cos they're laughing at some youtube chimp with a high pitched voice falling down a hole.

Stampylonghead makes console MInecraft videos though? Thats not modded at all.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Rutibex posted:

:bravo:

His specialty modpack series have always drawn fewer views - and Invasion is a very, very recent series, as opposed to the other one which has had, what, five years to collect views? You are incredibly hilarious right now.

Instead, let's compare that to his most recent series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1tOYvgpKKw

Which has just under half the views. A decline, but Dire on the whole has drawn less attention - and again, this one hasn't had five years to collect views, but only a few months. While unlikely it'll reach more than 500k, that's not nearly the decline you try to portray it as.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Serifina posted:

Which has just under half the views. A decline, but Dire on the whole has drawn less attention - and again, this one hasn't had five years to collect views, but only a few months. While unlikely it'll reach more than 500k, that's not nearly the decline you try to portray it as.

Thats not how youtube views work. You don't accumulate many more views over time, most of the interest comes in the first few days. Take for example iDubbbz, he has become rapidly more popular over time but his early videos do not accumulate more views. Here is a early video from his popular "Kickstarter Crap" series. It has 373,464 views despite being online for 4 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW_KUgrLWPE

This newest video in the "Kickstarter Crap" series has only been online for 4 months and has 3,035,661 views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0SzN02tMw

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

"how do we make the modded minecraft thread more autistic?", the scientists pondered

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Thats not how youtube views work. You don't accumulate many more views over time, most of the interest comes in the first few days.

This is only true for certain videos. There's no hard and fast rule about how fast youtube videos gain hits. You're really not trying very hard anymore.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Thats not how youtube views work. You don't accumulate many more views over time, most of the interest comes in the first few days. Take for example iDubbbz, he has become rapidly more popular over time but his early videos do not accumulate more views. Here is a early video from his popular "Kickstarter Crap" series. It has 373,464 views despite being online for 4 years:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW_KUgrLWPE

This newest video in the "Kickstarter Crap" series has only been online for 4 months and has 3,035,661 views
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lt0SzN02tMw

If your going to use an example of views growing over time at least use another Minecrafter. Ssundee's first Tekkit series four years ago pulled over half a million views: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKvzsgx2wW0

The Trollcraft series he has done with Crainer and CaptainSparklez recently has pulled in over 2 million views consistently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4X4vDlJGBRU

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

"how do we make the modded minecraft thread more autistic?", the scientists pondered

I'm sorry for my part in this.

Hey Fingercuffs fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 12, 2017

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Eh, my son watches the same modded minecraft videos over and over, increasing their count. And i can say that none of them are new.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Rutibex, you crazy, but you're family. Hit me up on the gooncave ts3 so we can have a nice, healthy argument about how minecraft and it's mods have driven us to madness!

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
And have you seen how many views Gangnam Style has?! No minecraft vid even comes close, QED modding is dead

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Now I know how Jor-El felt :negative:

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...
Probably pretty dumb because he had all that time and could only send a tiny baby alone through space.

Also how far does this parallel go? Is Brainiac conspiring to keep you down and prevent others from realizing the truth that you have realized?

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Veering the topic away a bit,

How is immersive engineering as a main power/ore processing mod? I love the idea of giant tech sprawl and running powerlines but if it's too finicky/server intensive I might as well start building thermex stuff instead.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Tyty posted:

How is immersive engineering as a main power/ore processing mod? I love the idea of giant tech sprawl and running powerlines but if it's too finicky/server intensive I might as well start building thermex stuff instead.

I haven't run diagnostics on it 'cause I haven't had a server with it, but I haven't seen any issues with performance. Gameplay wise it's fine, but very iron intensive. I would up iron spawns.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Tyty posted:

I don't know about server resource intensity, but it's certainly cool looking. If you're just doing it alone, ore doubling is mid-to-late game and the big multiblock arc-furnace is not completely automatable; it's a design choice that the electrodes required to run it have to be manually replaced. (They also require you to find a blueprint from a village or by trading, which is one of those things you either get right away or spend tens of gigabytes of disk space trying to find.)

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
Immersive Engineering's style, polish and the fact that it does multi-block structures and machines for nearly everything sets it apart and makes it an example for what every other mod should be doing, especially with multi-block machines and generators.

I think the problem with goons straying away from Minecraft has to do with it being hilarious to associate Minecraft with autism so most people just kind of assume modded Minecraft must be awful and not one of the greatest things you can do with your gaming time. Then those same people get stuck in FTB modpacks because they think that's the pinnacle of modded Minecraft and the precious few hours they have not toiling away at a 9-5 cannot be lost to playing a modpack that ten thousand idiots hasn't already downloaded and shitposted about on reddit

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

AceClown posted:

Yeah! Back in my day, we laughed at British YouTubers with high pitched voices falling into holes :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

escalator dropdown posted:

Yeah! Back in my day, we laughed at British YouTubers with high pitched voices falling into holes :v:

I saw a serious interview with the Yogscast on the BBC website business section and just got amazed that these few dudes from this very forum have built a multi-million viewer brand from dicking about in games.

Edit: Also "The Bomb" remains to this day one of the funniest gaming videos I've ever seen