Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Commissar Kayla posted:

She will tolerate us putting our faces in it and loves belly rubs.

This is the best thing ever, when you can have a whole face full of fluff, especially if it's purring fluff. That is a splendid, magnificent cat. They both are.

Sorry about Tank. RIP, little guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Apparently cat_herder and I are the go-to people for critical situations. We have our first of the year, a 4 day old named Tank. He came to us from across the state after he failed to bond with a surrogate litter. Let the sleep deprivation begin.

No pics at the moment because our apartment is really dim after sunset. I'll try to remember to get one tomorrow.

ETA: He didn't last the night :(

Sorry man. We all know you did everything you could have. :(

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

I laughed out loud at this gorgeous ball of self-important floof.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
So sorry, Lord Zedd. The little guy would never have had a chance but for you, though. :hug:

I received an inquiry about Pepperoni from a potential adopter. On paper, the house seems perfect for kitty, but when they come to meet her, she'll probably be too scared to interact with them. I'd like to see her get adopted, but it'd have to be someone really patient.

Commissar Kayla
Dec 27, 2008
I'm sorry, Zedd. :(: You gave him your best, and that's all a tiny kitten could ask for.

If it helps, here are more cat pictures:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Monday I had to put my 12-year-old cat with cancer to sleep. Tuesday, I went visiting the local shelters not intending to adopt a cat at all but ended up doing just that. He was found on the street as an eight-week-old kitten in 2015 and lived his whole life so far in a 2x2x2 metal cage at the animal control center. Like hell he wasn't coming home with me. Domestic longhair, all black, molten gold eyes, FIV/FELV negative, needs to be neutered. Hard to photograph.

He's in the spare bedroom with connected bathroom with food and litter, but afaik he's bunking in the open carrier and hisses whenever anyone gets too close. I've been leaving him be. My other cat knows there's a newcomer and she's seen him but they're separated. (She also misses her sister.) I'm worried the new guy has soiled the crate towel (I can't smell anything though) but I don't want to freak him out even more.

It's been 12 years since I've done this and I'm terrified I'm doing it wrong and this poor cat who was a lovebug on death row at animal control won't ever be happy here.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

queserasera posted:

Monday I had to put my 12-year-old cat with cancer to sleep. Tuesday, I went visiting the local shelters not intending to adopt a cat at all but ended up doing just that. He was found on the street as an eight-week-old kitten in 2015 and lived his whole life so far in a 2x2x2 metal cage at the animal control center. Like hell he wasn't coming home with me. Domestic longhair, all black, molten gold eyes, FIV/FELV negative, needs to be neutered. Hard to photograph.

He's in the spare bedroom with connected bathroom with food and litter, but afaik he's bunking in the open carrier and hisses whenever anyone gets too close. I've been leaving him be. My other cat knows there's a newcomer and she's seen him but they're separated. (She also misses her sister.) I'm worried the new guy has soiled the crate towel (I can't smell anything though) but I don't want to freak him out even more.

It's been 12 years since I've done this and I'm terrified I'm doing it wrong and this poor cat who was a lovebug on death row at animal control won't ever be happy here.

you will be fine friend, just give it time love and patience. these adjustments are hard at first dont excessively worry yet.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I adopted a new girl last June after my Rocky died. She didn't start really exploring the house until September (before that, she'd stay in one room at a time). She didn't really get along with Jessie until around December/January. Progress is slow, but it's so worth it.

Maully Millions
Aug 10, 2014

Inappropriate.

So, it isn't fostering, but I do pet sitting for cats and exotic animals and one of my client's cats is a beautiful, fluffy, shy girl. The first few times I kitty sat, she never came out of the closet or out from under the bed. To get her used to me, I would toss a couple treats into her hiding space, then lay down on my back and read or play with my phone for as long as I felt like chilling on the floor... usually around 15-20 minutes. Soon, she was comfortable enough to allow me to give her gentle scritches while she hung out in her safe spot. Eventually, she started coming down and asking for pets while I chilled on the couch with the other two cats.

This picture was taken yesterday. She's the softest, fluffiest cat I've ever met.

Hidey cats are worth the patience it takes to coax them out.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

queserasera posted:

Like hell he wasn't coming home with me.

This sorta :black101: mentality is all I needed to see to know that you are gonna be a beast at getting this cat as happy and comfortable as it can be. That last bit is important. Just remember that the best case scenario for a cat kept in such an unfortunate setting may well be below what you're used to.

Good on you for giving the little stinker a second chance. Be happy with small progress!

Also, so very sorry for your loss. Have a picture of Butterscotch failing at being a cat-in-the-bag like his big brother.

As a reminder this is the CORRECT way to cat-in-the-bag:

And this is Butterscotch's take:

And this, slightly more dignified (though water-chinned) shot of Butters deciding that my naptime is over:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
The "Oh God My God...Why hast thou forsaken me?" look in that Butterbag shot is killing me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

"This is my bed."

Geolicious
Oct 21, 2003

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark.
Lipstick Apathy

Chili posted:

And this is Butterscotch's take:

I'MMA BE JUST LIKE MONTY!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The amount of Butter contained within this bag is truly staggering.

In order to carry him in this bag, you must have Understanding of your limits, Knowledge to control his bulk, Courage to show the world this unrelenting tide of butter, and the Diligence to persevere against this colossal challenge.

All these traits are necessary to master the Butterscotch Special Mega Carrying In Bag Challenge!

...You are unable to carry him in this bag in your current state.

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

it looks like the bag/bed was going to be collapsible whether it was intended to be or not.

These are all good cats!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sorry about the new avatar guys, apparently i have made someone angry with me. I will most likely change it back at some point. as an apology here is a good catte

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

sneakyfrog posted:

sorry about the new avatar guys, apparently i have made someone angry with me. I will most likely change it back at some point. as an apology here is a good catte

??? That red text is not as wicked an own as I think someone thought it was.

Good cat though.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Tiny Deer posted:

??? That red text is not as wicked an own as I think someone thought it was.

Good cat though.

its one i bought for the guy in the grovertub thread that got banned i guess this is his final own on me :shrug: or whatever

at least i red texted and punctuated it correctly jeez :/

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Tiny Kittens newest mom has just had her kittens. She's orange, and so are all her kittens!

Foster Dad John's current kitten and mom

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

LuiCypher posted:

In order to carry him in this bag, you must have Understanding of your limits, Knowledge to control his bulk, Courage to show the world this unrelenting tide of butter, and the Diligence to persevere against this colossal challenge.

All these traits are necessary to master the Butterscotch Special Mega Carrying In Bag Challenge!

I feel like my bond with Butterscotch will get deeper soon.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LuiCypher posted:

No, no, no, that's wrong.

He needs Kindness make sure Monty isn't in there first, Knowledge to figure out how to climb inside, Proficiency to fit his Guts into the bag, and Charm to appeal to his personal human once inside.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Had to take Tibi in again to the vet, if its cancer its over for him. :smith:

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
Good luck, Alteisen.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Alteisen posted:

dont jump to the worst just yet friend

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Alteisen posted:

crossing my fingers. But still have hope, my friend. :hug:

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

There's some progress with the little soot sprite. He's eating and litterboxing and playing with toys--as long as we're not around. I've been camped out on the guest room bed since I put his food down and managed to see him eating, but the second he saw me he froze and backpedaled under the bed.

I've tried interactive toys and treats without success. Am I just too impatient?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
A little, yeah. He'll come out in his own time. It might take a while, but it'll happen when he's ready and not before.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

queserasera posted:

There's some progress with the little soot sprite. He's eating and litterboxing and playing with toys--as long as we're not around. I've been camped out on the guest room bed since I put his food down and managed to see him eating, but the second he saw me he froze and backpedaled under the bed.

I've tried interactive toys and treats without success. Am I just too impatient?

He probably just needs time, but I suspect the best thing to do here would just be to hang around the room while pointedly not interacting with or looking at him; basically, just be an non-threatening presence and let him get acclimated to you. He may be a little too nervous to be getting a lot out of positive attention yet.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
seriously just hang out around, and play a vidja game or read a book. You never know what animals have been through completely so they are all weird little experiments and all different. Patience, and creating a calm chill environment that the little bugger can relax in is a bit of trust building on both sides, Imagine a cute girl/guy you are into, and then imagine that person popping up all the drat time when you really arent sure if y'all click yet.. best analogy i can come up with pre :coffeepal:

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I had a weird experience this morning with my foster. Over the past few weeks she's started to come around a bit. Still no petting or anything, and she still hides, but occasionally she'll come out, start to run away, hear my voice and stop for a minute before hiding again. I swapped bedframes for one she can't hide under so her only hiding spot is under the bureau (or in the closet if I accidentally leave it open), or the little cave attached to her tree.

Anyway, last night I had a nice couple come over to meet her. They had adopted through our non-profit before and specifically were looking for an older, quiet cat. They were extremely respectful of her space and not aggressive to her at all, and I think they're very good candidates, but they haven't decided on her yet. After they left I gave her a really smelly treat with some catnip along with her regular food, which she waited to eat until I turned out the light at night. This morning I kneeled down to get her empty dishes, and she was fine. I talked to her a little and she was very calm. I came back maybe five minutes later with her breakfast and before I even put it under the bureau she was hissing and growling. I talked to her calmly but she was pretty annoyed. Finally I put the dishes down and started to walk away, and this time she didn't wait till I left to start eating, which she always did before.

I'm guessing she was just hungry and feeling a little territorial about food? Overnight, after she'd eaten, she was wandering around the room as usual, and when I got her empty dishes, she was fine--it was only after I brought them back full that she got a little more aggressive. Or maybe the catnip gave her a bad reaction? The catnip was a little old so it probably wasn't very potent.

I did start hanging around her more often (especially now that I can find her under the bureau), and I think it's helping (along with regular slow blinks, calm voices, and gently nudging little toys under there for her), but maybe sticking around when she's hungry is a bad idea, given that she was feral for so long and probably really protective of her food.

Malthuras
Feb 23, 2012

Go away
Oh man I love my rescue!

Her story is, her parents were both in foster home but hadn't gotten fixed yet. One day boom, her and her two brothers were born. I asked specifically to see her because I've always had better luck with girl dogs, and I'm glad I chose right this time. Her name is Newbie, and she is the most non-aggressive playful spaz of a dog you'll ever meet. She loves cuddling, etc. The only thing (if its a negative?) is she has separation issues from me, like if I walk out the front door to take out the trash, not 3-5 seconds go by and you think someone's beating that poor dog from the amount of crying/wailing she's doing. She grew up with and has a kennel, so when I go to work she's fine because its her space. Now for a few pics! One of puppy, and one of grown up, and also one of her and my best friend's dog, and they love each other lol.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

:ohdear: Kitten season just got riskier here. A stray on the outskirts of the city died from plague. Now our rescue has to magically summon funds to put flea control on all the cats we come in contact with and double check that they aren't showing symptoms. Isn't the southwest wonderful?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Plague?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Good old Y. pestis, the bacteria that causes bubonic plague.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

Good old Y. pestis, the bacteria that causes bubonic plague.

Are you loving kidding me? :stare:

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
You in ABQ? I heard about that. I guess I better make sure to put Frontline or something on the girls.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah because some assholes deliberately introduced the plague in an attempt to exterminate native prairie dog populations. They're not a natural reservoir of the disease because it has a roughly 99% mortality rate in them.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Lareine posted:

You in ABQ? I heard about that. I guess I better make sure to put Frontline or something on the girls.

Yep.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah because some assholes deliberately introduced the plague in an attempt to exterminate native prairie dog populations. They're not a natural reservoir of the disease because it has a roughly 99% mortality rate in them.

gently caress thattttt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Alteisen posted:

Are you loving kidding me? :stare:

It's actually pretty easily curable in humans nowadays iirc so it's not as bad as it sounds.