Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Flambeau posted:

These crackers were on the discount shelf, they were pretty good but I dunno about paying full price. Is there a recommended cracker or type of toast? But not loving avocado toast, thanks.

Saltines, baby.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Thank goodness this thread is open again, so that I can show the fruits of my sardine exchange with Big Bad Voodoo Lou.

Really tasty with my morning kasha & eggs.

Find from Grocery Outlet. Kinda excited to try the Polar Kipper Snacks tomorrow.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Android Apocalypse posted:

Thank goodness this thread is open again, so that I can show the fruits of my sardine exchange with Big Bad Voodoo Lou.

Really tasty with my morning kasha & eggs.

Find from Grocery Outlet. Kinda excited to try the Polar Kipper Snacks tomorrow.

So many kippers! I wish we had Grocery Outlet. All we see regularly at our main supermarket (Publix) are the Brunswick kippers with the plaid label. I had to make a special trip to Walmart to find the Polar kippers, and they're the only ones around here that carry KO jalapeno 'dines and mackerel. (Publix only has regular KO double-layers and boneless/skinless, and a bunch of Beach Cliff 'dines.)

I'm glad you enjoyed the Canarios, and thank you again for the Tiny Tots! I'm saving them for a grand three-way taste test with Canarios and KO double-layers.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

Android Apocalypse posted:

Thank Jeffery that you have the ability to post an in-depth review of all of those kippers!! (please)

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Yes, but what happened to sheepgoat??

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

My Man Shran posted:

Yes, but what happened to sheepgoat??

He's not happy with the way gbs is going.

I'm not going to put words into his mouth, but I do think it's because of the (admittedly retarded) perma-probing/banning of gbs regulars.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Flambeau posted:

Is there a recommended cracker or type of toast?

Toasted baguette rounds or cracked pepper/olive oil Triscuits

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
In honour of our Dadly Departed Sheep-Goats I made some fishermans' eggs this morning. 450 degrees, as is proper. I'm tempted to make it with kippered fishies next time instead of dines. I've already done it with Rigas, and that was just lovely, so more smoke must be better.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Seattle Sardine Economy Report

My Fred Meyer has KO Mediterraneans and Tiny Tots for the best prices around.

City Target downtown has poo poo for selection, but they've got KO dines and anchovies so you're pretty well covered anyway. Interestingly, this was the only place that I visited that had KO anchovies.

As mentioned, Grocery Outlet is a tinned fish goldmine.

Wild Planet in EVOO is cheap as all gently caress. I should have bought two cases.

Lesser dines are even cheaper.

Polar kippers and smoked oysters for cheap.

The dine hoard, complete with DadBeer and a huge tin of Puerto Rican Keebler crackers from Grocery Outlet. They're like saltines except burlier, great to throw a dine on.

I also checked QFC and Safeway for their dine selection, and it was not worth documenting. Don't go to QFC or Safeway for quality dines; Bumblebee is probably your best option there.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
drat, your Grocery Outlet is better stocked than mine.

In related news, I used those Polar Kipper Snacks in my morning's kasha/eggs.

Seasoning was some harissa spices and it was an overall tasty experience.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

I'm thinking about those 'dines

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Inkfish posted:

:same:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

From way back in Page 7, but this is a pretty safe Fisherman's Eggs recipe, right?

-----
Fisherman’s Eggs (serves 2 or 1 hungry dad)

125g can sardines
4 large eggs
2 tsps fresh parsley leaves, finely chopped
1/4 small, white onion
2 cloves garlic, minced

Preheat oven to 375, place an ovenproof dish inside while you assemble the ingredients.
Flake the sardines together with the parsley, garlic and onion. Season generously with black pepper and tip into the heated ovenproof dish. Put in oven for five minutes.
Gently crack the eggs into a bowl. Remove the sardines from the oven and carefully pour the eggs on top. Season generously and return to oven for 15 minutes until the eggs are cooked but jiggly. Let sit for a few minutes before serving so they congeal further.
-----

There was some back and forth about 375 vs 500 degrees. Was there a thread consensus, and if 500 degrees came out on top, how does that affect cooking time?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
500F just generally makes it easier to cook with how you can get some browning on the veggies and dines without them turning into mush and bakes up the egg quick without staring through the oven window or opening the door again and again 10 minutes in when you're paranoid.

I don't know about time, till its done. like 10-12 minutes on the veggie dine mixture and 5 for eggs?

The most important thing is you don't cook fisherman's eggs in any glass or ceramic pans you want to not break. Its going to break, if not the first time than the other time because you're going to keep making them until the pan explodes and then not feel so bad about the pane exploding cause they're so good.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Also, one can seems like too little for four eggs, or is that just me?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Batterypowered7 posted:

Also, one can seems like too little for four eggs, or is that just me?

Two eggs AND a whole can of 'dines per serving? Have you no shame?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

theres a will theres moe posted:

Apparently not!

E: Wait, that whole thing is supposed to be two servings? Maybe I'm picturing a lot less food than it actually is.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 11, 2017

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
Are fishermen known for having lots of bakeware around they don't mind cracking?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Yup.

Or well my point is use a metal pie tin or a cast iron pan because shocking those usually leads to noticeable stress cracks at most instead of your glass or ceramic pan exploding randomly from an egg.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

theres a will theres moe posted:

When you're eating it with your fingers over the sink in just your tighty-whities then one of your gray chest hairs falls into the dish but you don't care and you eat it anyway, well, you're a dad. Shame is no longer in your lexicon.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Overwined posted:

When you're eating it with your fingers over the sink in just your tighty-whities then one of your gray chest hairs falls into the dish but you don't care and you eat it anyway, well, you're a dad. Shame is no longer in your lexicon.

Gobbling he own pubes is dad final form

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I did a thing with some leftover rice, a mix of canned tomatoes, onion, garlic and jalepeno combined with dines and eggs. It was dope as hell.

Cooked up the veg in olive oil on the stovetop while the oven preheated (also serves to preheat the cast iron), mashed the dines in, roasted in the oven for five minutes, then put the eggs on and back in for another five minutes.

Goes great with home made bread for a good carb/protein bomb on your weekend mornings.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
Anchovies in marinara are a thing right? I heard that's where the name came from ("mara" as in "the sea").

naem
May 29, 2011

I ate some fish and bread

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Are fishermen known for having lots of bakeware around they don't mind cracking?

Get a little cast iron egg skillet. The things are nigh indestructible and usable at all temperatures. You also get the cast iron bonus of getting mad at people for improperly washing it (e.g. using any soap at all) ruining your hard seasoning work.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Anchovies in marinara are a thing right? I heard that's where the name came from ("mara" as in "the sea").

Yeah, I got some Wild Planet dines in marinara when I went nuts at Grocery Outlet, but I haven't tried them yet. They exist though.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

Get a little cast iron egg skillet. The things are nigh indestructible and usable at all temperatures. You also get the cast iron bonus of getting mad at people for improperly washing it (e.g. using any soap at all) ruining your hard seasoning work.

If it falls off from a bit of soap it's not seasoning :colbert:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Chalupa Joe posted:

If it falls off from a bit of soap it's not seasoning :colbert:

No sir it ain't, but when you're trying to season a pan over the course of a time and it keeps getting washed and scrubbed, well, you ain't got much. They took a brillo pad to it, Joe! THEY SCOURED MY SEASONING RIGHT OFF.

:negative:

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

when I'm done with my cast iron pan, I wash it with soap and water, dry it completely, and rub a little oil into it and put it away :confused:

I haven't used it for much besides pan pizzas and deep-frying, though, cos I can't afford steak

e: mine's too big to use on a daily basis and our stove is too small/wonky/electric for it to even be useful most of the time, hopefully our new place with a gas stove will make me want to use it more!!!

e2: http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/09/how-to-clean-maintain-cast-iron-pan-skillet-cookware.html

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if you meant putting anchovies in a marinara sauce for pasta, it's delicious and good and I recommend it, but wikipedia mentions that the 'mara' part comes from 'mariner's style' as opposed to 'poo poo from the ocean' :v:

snoo fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 13, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Ceciltron posted:

No sir it ain't, but when you're trying to season a pan over the course of a time and it keeps getting washed and scrubbed, well, you ain't got much. They took a brillo pad to it, Joe! THEY SCOURED MY SEASONING RIGHT OFF.

:negative:

If your seasoning doesn't survive scrubbing with a brillo pad and soap then you need to season your pan better. It's not hard, just apply the barest bit with a paper towel, stick it in an oven until it smokes dry, and repeat a few times.

My roommate has put my 8-9'' cast iron skillet through the dishwasher and it came out with the seasoning perfectly intact.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Inkfish posted:

Me too. What's good in Australia? I think brunswick is 84c and king oscar is like $2+ for 105g right now.
When I want to be really decadent I often have sardines or baked beans on toast rather than the usual nothing.

Shame about sheepgoats. I was wondering why he wasn't in the aussie thread anymore.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 13, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Got some more coupons from the Facebook KO page woo!

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I always miss their Facebook promotions. Is there a a way to find out about those without checking their page every day?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

naem posted:

I ate some fish and bread

Lazy days/nights, I just smear it on bread without even bothering to toast it or add mustard. Good enough to get me through the "comedy" portions of something like Bill Maher.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I think KO is sending me a free coupon this time, and I'm going to use it on a Cross-Pack can, which are hard to find around here.

I love the apron they sent me after the Valentine's Day contest. The pockets in the front are so convenient!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah I meant putting anchovies into a pot of marinara sauce. Good to know that wasn't just a case of my memory making poo poo up. Is that why pizza sauce is always better on the east coast?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I never wash my cast iron stuff because washing cookware is pointless unless you're putting it into long term storage, but yeah, If regular dish soap takes it off, it wasn't really seasoning.

Everyone way overthinks caring for cast iron stuff and you don't have to do or not do anything special with it. Most of the "rules" about stuff like seasoning it with certain oils and baking the seasoning on in the oven and not using soap didn't even exist until the Internet was around and people starting spreading misinformation. Our ancestors cooked in iron by just cooking in it, and you can do the same.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

According to the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife, a properly-licensed person could harvest 25 pounds of sardines each day. Really makes you think of what could be.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

washing cookware is pointless unless you're putting it into long term storage

:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

According to the Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife, a properly-licensed person could harvest 25 pounds of sardines each day. Really makes you think of what could be.

Goon project: fishing trawler "Sea Dad"