Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if there's a way to really combine the atmosphere of a game like RE7 with the replayability of RE4 or RE2. Repeated replays always tend to dampen the atmosphere no matter how well it's done, which is a shame but that's how it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't think you can but I don't think that's a bad thing. from the start RE has always had fans who like going all-in on it like a video game and figuring out how to speedrun and treat enemies like triggers rather than immersive threats. The fact RE7 successfully captured that while also having the first-playthrough horror atmosphere really does make it a success at capturing both sides of what people liked about the original.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Playing through the game on Madhouse has definitely brought back some of the tension from my initial play through of the game. The limited saves and the remixing of enemies makes it feel a bit more like the original Resident Evil. After dying, I find myself planning out the best path to get things done and then get back to a save room to lock in that progress in the same way that I did in the original Resident Evil. My main beefs with Madhouse (I'm only past the initial house and the scuffle with Jack) are that dying and replaying a section really emphasizes how many unskippable conversations there are. I did the garage portion and then ended up dying to an enemy 5 or 10 minutes later because I was pushing on to the next save room. On death, I had to redo the entire garage fight again and all of the Officer Deputy conversations beforehand which would get old really quickly if I died there repeatedly. My other beef is that the initial fight with Mia was really really difficult. I ended up dying to her 10 times. The window before she charges at you with the chainsaw is pretty short and I had issues hitting those headshots consistently (and it feels like you have to hit her in the face like 15 times). The cool thing about her being so hard is that I ended up putting the doors in the area between us and her sawing through the doors and walls is a neat touch that I never saw on the other difficulties.

To comment on speedrunning the game, I haven't done a speedrun on any of the other games but had a good time with this one. It's pretty surprising how quickly you can get through most of the areas of the game if you're just doing the minimum required to progress. You can combine the speedrun with the limited heals and limited box uses and it works together really well. Without picking up chems and healing items or things like the flamethrower, the inventory isn't much of an issue. The main thing that kept coming up was the unskippable conversations and in game cutscenes. You can skip some of the phone calls, but even things like the dreamy cutscene with Jack speaking to Ethan at the end can't be skipped. I believe the only skippable cutscene is the one at the end of the Boat tape with Mia. SuccintandPunchy can probably guesstimate better than most about how much of that 1hr30 is spent waiting on conversations or in game cutscenes throughout the game.

edit: Maybe the opening cutscene is hiding a really long load and that's why it's unskippable. Obviously that makes more sense on consoles where the load times in and out of video tapes are pretty lengthy.

Jolo fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 10, 2017

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Speedrunning the game makes your 1st playthrough of the game hilarious. I think the first time through, it took me like 2 or 3 hours to get out of the house. The 2nd time through? I was out within the first hour or so.

At least this game allows you to pause the timer and actually shows you your time. And yeah, the opening cutscenes makes the game kind of a chore to replay.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So apparently RE8 will be "very different from Resident Evil 7 in some ways, while still retaining that core survival horror concept of people overcoming the odds. Resident Evil will always retain that essence".

It's obviously too early to take too much away from this, especially when we still have more RE7 DLC coming, but it's interesting that they're talking about the next game like this already.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
And not the RE2 remake

:v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Raxivace posted:

So apparently RE8 will be "very different from Resident Evil 7 in some ways, while still retaining that core survival horror concept of people overcoming the odds. Resident Evil will always retain that essence".

It's obviously too early to take too much away from this, especially when we still have more RE7 DLC coming, but it's interesting that they're talking about the next game like this already.

Its gonna be an MMO like Destiny.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Raxivace posted:

That's what they should do. Keep the FPS, keep the horror, but do a completely different setting. Texas Chainsaw Massacre / The Hills Have Eyes has been done. Don't do it again so soon.

Next one should be underwater or in space or something crazy like that. Umbrella research station.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

It should be an amusement park.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Jolo posted:

SuccintandPunchy can probably guesstimate better than most about how much of that 1hr30 is spent waiting on conversations or in game cutscenes throughout the game.

it's tooooooo fuckin long

Seriously, I'd wager like 30 minutes of that is spent not actually playing it. The opening cutscene alone is exactly 2m 33s and there's a ton more like it and some of them are longer! I think the single longest cutscene is the combined dream thing and then the following boat cutscene, it's like four minutes or some poo poo. Like I'd wager you're out about 20m on just raw long cutscene and then you get the extra ten from all the little shorter cutscenes.

On my splitting program, I have a split for starting the Lucas videotape thing and the split is labelled "Pissbreak", I have in fact just walked away and used the bathroom while he yammers for another 2-3 minutes.

A cutscene skip button would've been incredibly loving appreciated especially since like, 4-6 have it. But then the classic games don't for the most part and if I had a penny for everytime I've heard RE2 runners complain about how many times they've listened to the gunshop owner's whole spiel I would be rich.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

it's tooooooo fuckin long

Seriously, I'd wager like 30 minutes of that is spent not actually playing it. The opening cutscene alone is exactly 2m 33s and there's a ton more like it and some of them are longer! I think the single longest cutscene is the combined dream thing and then the following boat cutscene, it's like four minutes or some poo poo. Like I'd wager you're out about 20m on just raw long cutscene and then you get the extra ten from all the little shorter cutscenes.

On my splitting program, I have a split for starting the Lucas videotape thing and the split is labelled "Pissbreak", I have in fact just walked away and used the bathroom while he yammers for another 2-3 minutes.

A cutscene skip button would've been incredibly loving appreciated especially since like, 4-6 have it. But then the classic games don't for the most part and if I had a penny for everytime I've heard RE2 runners complain about how many times they've listened to the gunshop owner's whole spiel I would be rich.

I can understand how some cutscenes are unskippable because they're rendered in-game, but there is zero excuse for why you can't skip the opening cutscene and start in the car :colbert:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I hope they do re8 in first person/VR again. I think they've got a great game engine for it, just build some new locations.

Please don't use molded again too.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Just more enemy variety in general please

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

also suplexing

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

VR suplexing

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Fereydun posted:

VR suplexing

RE8 just needs to be the full version of Gorn.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Re7 Madhouse pulls such a dick move at the end that I had to laugh. If you plan on playing through on Madhouse (you should) don't read this next bit. After the fight at the end of the mines gauntlet with the two fatties, the ladder out is rigged with wire mines in several spots. I noticed the first one just before climbing out and then laughed and shot it... I should've checked the rest of the ladder because I set off the second one halfway up the ladder.

I enjoyed Madhouse most of the way through. I wish there'd been more changes after the Jack portions of the game, but the ones that are there are generally good. My basic rear end advice would be, Use Separating Agents (you'll get a lot) on Burner Fuel and Psychostims for free Chem packs, craft your Strong Chems into Enhanced Handgun bullets, and time your saves around avoiding rewatching cutscenes. Ex: Save after the garage fight with Jack so that dying doesn't force you into redoing the whole chat and fight.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Fereydun posted:

VR suplexing
Give it 50 years and we'll have RE22 with fully immersive D.I.Y. suplexing.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Jolo posted:

Re7 Madhouse pulls such a dick move at the end that I had to laugh. If you plan on playing through on Madhouse (you should) don't read this next bit. After the fight at the end of the mines gauntlet with the two fatties, the ladder out is rigged with wire mines in several spots. I noticed the first one just before climbing out and then laughed and shot it... I should've checked the rest of the ladder because I set off the second one halfway up the ladder.

I enjoyed Madhouse most of the way through. I wish there'd been more changes after the Jack portions of the game, but the ones that are there are generally good. My basic rear end advice would be, Use Separating Agents (you'll get a lot) on Burner Fuel and Psychostims for free Chem packs, craft your Strong Chems into Enhanced Handgun bullets, and time your saves around avoiding rewatching cutscenes. Ex: Save after the garage fight with Jack so that dying doesn't force you into redoing the whole chat and fight.

lol yeah that spoiler got me too. was pretty awesome.

man, i really want these last two dlcs to come out already.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Unlocked all that I think I can before going into Madhouse... really not looking forward to the beginning of the game... I mean yeah I will have the Glasses and saw to help me but still... this is gonna suck

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiffster posted:

Unlocked all that I think I can before going into Madhouse... really not looking forward to the beginning of the game... I mean yeah I will have the Glasses and saw to help me but still... this is gonna suck

I played through it without that stuff and it didn't seem that much harder than normal except for a few parts. You'll be fine.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Spiffster posted:

I'm with you. I really, REALLY hated the initial Mia fight on Madhouse.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

clockworx posted:

Mia is going to be a pain but doable. What is worrying me is the ship. All that time with uber fast mold and no weapons is not my definition of a good time

Edit: that and jack in the hallway before getting to the first house savepoint is going to be hell. Even in normal I had issues with how fast he moved

Spiffster fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 18, 2017

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

clockworx posted:

Honestly the initial Mia fight is like, the hardest part of the game on Madhouse.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012

Spiffster posted:

Mia is going to be a pain but doable. What is worrying me is the ship. All that time with uber fast mold and no weapons is not my definition of a good time

Edit: that and jack in the hallway before getting to the first house savepoint is going to be hell. Even in normal I had issues with how fast he moved

Actually there's a trick to Jack. When you see him in the hall, head back and hide behind some crates in the trapdoor room. I noticed that if he's not aware of you, he just walks through the kitchen and dining room and doesn't go into the hallway during that time. He'll walk into the trapdoor room, then head into the dining room. That will give you enough time to sneak past him and grab the key.

As for the molded in the ship. Just duck into rooms whenever you get spotted and close the door on them. It either despawns them entirely or resets their location. You can also lure them into rooms and trap them there while you explore the hallways.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

For Mia at the start, scavenge around the attic and grab all of the ammo before making your save. She doesn't come down until you climb the ladder, so you can grab all of the bullets around the area. Then restarts are a bit less tedious. Also, put doors between you and her and take advantage of her sawing through the support pillars to get a few shots in.

The opening bit with Jack in the hallway was really stressful for me because I didn't know if dying would set me back to the pre-Mia save. I didn't die there, so I'm still not sure if it does. There's a long load screen when you transition from the house with Mia to the Main House with the family, so I bet it restarts you at the dining table. Honestly, getting into the hatch is the most stressful part of the game for me. Opening the hatch with Jack bearing down on you is a lot. The animation to open it takes just long enough to feel like you're not going to get in before he grabs you. On Madhouse, I ended up unlocking the hatch and running away from Jack, then entering it after I put some distance between us.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
you can take out mia on madhouse with the axe without breaking a sweat or a single bullet. if i'm remembering right, you make her charge at you rather than swing and you can easily dodge and get a few whacks in it.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 19, 2017

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jolo posted:

For Mia at the start, scavenge around the attic and grab all of the ammo before making your save. She doesn't come down until you climb the ladder, so you can grab all of the bullets around the area. Then restarts are a bit less tedious. Also, put doors between you and her and take advantage of her sawing through the support pillars to get a few shots in.

The opening bit with Jack in the hallway was really stressful for me because I didn't know if dying would set me back to the pre-Mia save. I didn't die there, so I'm still not sure if it does. There's a long load screen when you transition from the house with Mia to the Main House with the family, so I bet it restarts you at the dining table. Honestly, getting into the hatch is the most stressful part of the game for me. Opening the hatch with Jack bearing down on you is a lot. The animation to open it takes just long enough to feel like you're not going to get in before he grabs you. On Madhouse, I ended up unlocking the hatch and running away from Jack, then entering it after I put some distance between us.

That hatch makes dodging Jack a fairly zany affair.

"I'm gonna get you!"
"Not today, doc!" *Woody Woodpecker laugh as I drop into the perfectly safe crawlspace while Jack helplessly stares on*

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008
You can also game Mia a bit on Madhouse by shutting doors in her face and baiting her to saw them apart. When she does, she kind of inflicts a self-stagger for a couple of seconds, which gives you at least a couple free hatchet swings before she starts going after you again. It doesn't sound like much, but trust me, it helps.

That being said, I am still having a lot of trouble with Madhouse. I came into it straight from my very first playthrough on Normal, so no circular saw or running shoes. Jack is scary when he practically sprint-walks after you and chases you much earlier and more persistently, and the item location switchups are just enough to screw with all of your previous-playthrough optimization knowledge. The car keys being locked up this time through was a nasty surprise as well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Honestly the initial Mia fight is like, the hardest part of the game on Madhouse.

Her and Marguerite were definitely the hardest parts for me other than a few surprises like the 4-legged molded that caught me by surprise before the basement save room.

I didn't notice much difference beyond that except a few more enemies in places. The save tapes are also generous enough that adding that mechanic to Madhouse didn't change much.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

SeANMcBAY posted:

Her and Marguerite were definitely the hardest parts for me other than a few surprises like the 4-legged molded that caught me by surprise before the basement save room.

That dickhead one shot me the first time because it turns out there's some sort of bug tied to high framerates on PC where hits register multiple times.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Won't have to worry about that because it's a miracle that this plays on lowest settings on my machine. It's not hiccuping or laggy but I doubt it's at 60 fps by any stretch.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Mia is a chump. If you block her deranged wild chainsaw swing, an attack that looks like it would kill you right through your block, you do a sick counter punch in the face that stuns her.

So seriously you just have to land one headshot, triggering her crazy swing, then block, then chop chop chop. Repeat!

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Mia is a chump. If you block her deranged wild chainsaw swing, an attack that looks like it would kill you right through your block, you do a sick counter punch in the face that stuns her.

So seriously you just have to land one headshot, triggering her crazy swing, then block, then chop chop chop. Repeat!

I think on madhouse she still kills you in 4-5 blocked hits, and she takes like 15 headshots to drop.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Probably the only RE2 thing we're getting this year.

Backhand
Sep 25, 2008

clockworx posted:

I think on madhouse she still kills you in 4-5 blocked hits, and she takes like 15 headshots to drop.

Mia has two chainsaw attacks: One close range lunging swipe, and the long range charge. The close range swing will hurt you no matter what if it connects, but blocking her charging attack not only completely negates the damage, it also stuns her for a second or so afterwards.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

edit: ^^^

clockworx posted:

nah, the bit where she darts for you, you can block and stun her and take her out with the axe on madhouse. its hilarious. i think you only take damage when she is swinging that poo poo around.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
Oops, I forgot about that.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

Skeleton War 2020