Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

The Cheshire Cat posted:

What happened in 1973 that made muttonchops make a comeback?

Mu][onchops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

spog posted:

True dat.

I bet the marketing team were high-fiving themselves at the creativity of calling it 'BF1': restarting the timeline, matching the new console name, new generation, etc.

And at no point did anyone pipe up and say 'Umm. You know we already have a BF2 and the war after WWI was called WWII? What are we going to call the next edition of this game if it successful?'

Battlefield 2: Electric Boogaloo

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Is that only men?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Carados posted:

Is that only men?

What could've made you think that.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

What could've made you think that.

I'd assume it would be included in the title if it was, but the data says otherwise.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

Carados posted:

I'd assume it would be included in the title if it was, but the data says otherwise.

In 1973 less than 10% of university graduates were women?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I'm not sure if "cleanshaven" is a facial hair style that would apply to most women, technically speaking.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not sure if "cleanshaven" is a facial hair style that would apply to most women, technically speaking.

If a woman runs a razor over her face, she counts as clean shaven. :colbert:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Ooh boy took me a while to figure that one out.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So the bars are a probability distribution of the total points at the end of the season, and the cumulative percentage is the odds of being in the top 4 when Arsenal has the amount of points indicated for that bar?

I wonder how difficult that would be to decipher if you don't know about the premier league.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Yeah that's how I understand it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Antti posted:

So the bars are a probability distribution of the total points at the end of the season, and the cumulative percentage is the odds of being in the top 4 when Arsenal has the amount of points indicated for that bar?

I wonder how difficult that would be to decipher if you don't know about the premier league.
The histogram is clear enough by itself, but the percentages are definitely confusing as they look like cumulative probabilities but don't actually correspond to the y labels (70pt looks like should be >10% but is labeled 5%)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

mobby_6kl posted:

The histogram is clear enough by itself, but the percentages are definitely confusing as they look like cumulative probabilities but don't actually correspond to the y labels (70pt looks like should be >10% but is labeled 5%)

It's because they don't correspond to the Y values at all it's the probability at most 3 other teams finish with a higher points total.
While the Y axis is the probability that Arsenal obtain that many points.

Rumda has a new favorite as of 12:12 on Apr 13, 2017

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
It's actually a perfectly fine chart, you just need to be the kind of person who looks at that sort of chart; which is who the chart is for (the kind of person who would read that chart).

A perfectly fine chart.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Somfin posted:

It was to avoid too much poo poo breaking. There's a startling amount of code out there that specifically does not work on any OS that identifies itself as "Windows 9[*]".

Late, but this actually became a huge issue 10 years ago when Opera 10 was released. At the time, Firefox was still around version 3 and IE was still 6, and a lot of websites (especially banks) would check the version and go "Hey, no, this is Opera 1, you need to go upgrade because we support only 7 or later". Pretty sure an update was pushed out to make it report Opera 9.9 or whatever.

Then Chrome came out and that problem (and Opera) very quickly disappeared :v:

On-topic:

There's probably some context that makes this make sense but on its face this graph just seems totally useless.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/google-deprecates-octane-javascript-benchmark-because-everyone-is-basically-cheating/

It's not a direct rebuttal of this specific claim. But Google found that everyone was cheating on the Octane Benchmark.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
5% on a synthetic benchmark is the best they can show?

That’s damning with faint praise.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Little Boy was 15 KILOtons TNT, not 15 tons. Big difference.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

So, how many tons of TNT is the Tarbosaurus?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

So, how many tons of TNT is the Tarbosaurus?

Six, it says it right there

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Holy moley, better stay away from dinosaurs.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

still trying to recover from this i see

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

steinrokkan posted:

Holy moley, better stay away from dinosaurs.

Yeah, no poo poo

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

So I guess humans are about 17 tons of TNT? 18?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Phanatic posted:

Well sure if you're blue. What's the yield on pink through black coloured people? This diagram smells like the prelude to a bunch of race supremacy bullshit.

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Phanatic posted:

Outrail posted:

Well sure if you're blue.

Have you even seen/read Watchmen dude. Dr. Manhattan's yield is pretty sick.

Katyiah
Aug 10, 2009
Ask me why I'm not running.

SaltyJesus posted:

Have you even seen/read Watchmen dude. Dr. Manhattan's yield is pretty sick.

Yeah but who watches the Watchmen?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Katyiah posted:

Yeah but who watches the Watchmen?

I did. I remember Rorschach being acted well, young lady superheroine being generic, and CGI Dr. Manhattan orgy.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

RandomPauI posted:

I did. I remember Rorschach being acted well, young lady superheroine being generic, and CGI Dr. Manhattan orgy.

Plus a sex scene that was waaay too graphic.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So at least two people saw that unfortunate movie.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
There's a reason people called it unfilmable.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

hallelujah

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
What's up with the little islands above Georgia?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I'm Kaliningrad.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

SaltyJesus posted:

What's up with the little islands above Georgia?

Georgian enclaves.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...d-Abkhazia.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!
Nope, those are in Georgia and clearly visible on the map.