Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

It's so bad I didn't even think I heard Rose in the clip. Am I missing something that obvious?

I'm pretty sure I heard a "Doctor! Help me!" in there

Edit: right around the 50 second mark

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

thexerox123 posted:

Vastra and Jenny?
Or... I guess that's not really an example rooted in reality.

Vastra isn't an alien. :colbert:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

....okay?

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

jivjov posted:

I'm pretty sure I heard a "Doctor! Help me!" in there

Edit: right around the 50 second mark

I thought that was supposed to be someone else. If that's Rose, wow - just wow.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I get what you're going for, but technically she would be "foreign" to Humans, and Moffat certainly is obsessed with his Paternoster Gang...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Indulge me

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I can't believe the season finale plot has leaked, via a 51 year old coloring book of all things.

http://skittishlibrary.co.uk/doctor-travels-space-1966/

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Based on a few "How to Make Doctor Who Great Again?" articles I've read, I get the feeling there's a wee bit of a consensus among critics and commentators that Capaldi's age has counted against the show. I don't know if that's borne out by facts (because the only other people I know who like the show are all adults) but it would be a real shame if it was true. :(

McGann
May 19, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Based on a few "How to Make Doctor Who Great Again?" articles I've read, I get the feeling there's a wee bit of a consensus among critics and commentators that Capaldi's age has counted against the show. I don't know if that's borne out by facts (because the only other people I know who like the show are all adults) but it would be a real shame if it was true. :(

I really hope that's just the "tumblr demographic" consensus but I've heard much the same thing with regard to merchandising and all this talk about the "Tennant glory days". Don't get me wrong, I love Tennant, but I think the Smith / Moffat era was a drastic improvement, even with all the Moffat-isms and convoluted timey-wimey bullshit that it became wrapped up in.

So yes, if we go the younger Doctor route I'm OK with it, but the attitude needs to stay the same as it evolved into with Capaldi's characterization of The Doctor. He's an ancient alien who tries to understand humans, but thinks we're immature and stupid but loves us in spite of it all.

Edit: Basically I want a BF Davison styled younger Doctor with modern Who trappings. He's universe-weary but still has the youthful enthusiasm.

McGann fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 12, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McGann posted:

I really hope that's just the "tumblr demographic" consensus but I've heard much the same thing with regard to merchandising and all this talk about the "Tennant glory days".

It's not even any particular part of the fandom saying it - I most recently read that in an article on the Guardian website! I've seen similar stuff from the websites for other national newspapers.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Here's the 'problem' with Capaldi's age.

He's rarely written for his own strengths. Any time they start up the whimsy bullshit, it never rings true with him. He is a very intense man, whether he is being dramatic, funny, serious, whatever

He doesn't do whimsy very well. But some scripts, especially early on, are written with Smith more in mind than him.

The action beats also are not written around him, and suffer for it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I feel like Capaldi's age didn't count against him per se, but his run hasn't had a whole lot to get excited about otherwise, so what would otherwise be a decent take on the character and a strong performance causes a bit of a sore point because there isn't an 'at least he's hot and fun' charismatic lead to hang on. Not to say Capaldi ISN'T charismatic, but he's harder to get excited about if you aren't a nerd.

I'm personally currently in a place where I'd quite like a different casting choice for the Doctor that's not what we've had. I've loved every Doctor, but I feel like I've had enough 'young white dude' takes on it that I'd like to get something different for a bit. Capaldi certainly was 'something different' in that he was a fair bit older, but that didn't really get leveraged. A female or POC Doctor would get me excited right away, but I understand that's probably not gonna happen.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

40 should be the minimum age for a doctor :colbert: If you want youthful whimsy in the show, cast a youthful whimsical companion Wilfred Mott is the best companion :corsair:

I think I can agree with the assertion that not all of the scripts from Capaldi's run fit his strengths.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Burkion posted:

Here's the 'problem' with Capaldi's age.

He's rarely written for his own strengths. Any time they start up the whimsy bullshit, it never rings true with him. He is a very intense man, whether he is being dramatic, funny, serious, whatever

Yeah, this makes sense to me. I think that Into The Dalek was probably the best written piece for Capaldi's Doctor, he was a total rear end in a top hat and really didn't care about it. It may have pushed it a bit far, but I would've liked to see a lot more of that 'so alien he doesn't understand common courtesy' beat for him.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Yup. They should've pushed the cranky old man angle who you know cares deep down but superficially he's just so tired of everyone's nonsense. Capaldi does that very well and it would've been a good contrast between other revival doctors.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I think Rick and Morty might have already filled that space.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Two things can do the same thing but Moffat's probably just incapable of pulling it off.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dabir posted:

Two things can do the same thing but Moffat's probably just incapable of pulling it off.

I disagree, the man has an amazing range. It's just the DW writers don't give him the opportunity to use it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Flight Bisque posted:

I can't believe the season finale plot has leaked, via a 51 year old coloring book of all things.

http://skittishlibrary.co.uk/doctor-travels-space-1966/

The leader of those guys may be friendly, but his right hand man is having none of it. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I kinda wish Capaldi could have been the Doctor for years and years and years. But then I felt the same about pretty much every actor who ever played the Doctor (I didn't at the time about Colin Baker but now I know I was wrong).

Really the only non-Tom Doctors who got to spend years in the role were Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann and they did so in a Monkey's Paw fashion.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

regeneration
young white man
everybody holds their breath
he lunges for the nearest spork
everybody cheers

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I disagree, the man has an amazing range. It's just the DW writers don't give him the opportunity to use it.

Moffat. Not Capaldi.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

(I didn't at the time about Colin Baker but now I know I was wrong).

Timelash is CLASSIC

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.
This is real, on top of a house in my neighborhood (Oakland CA)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Poor parking job, Doctor.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

NarkyBark posted:

Yup. They should've pushed the cranky old man angle who you know cares deep down but superficially he's just so tired of everyone's nonsense. Capaldi does that very well and it would've been a good contrast between other revival doctors.

I disagree. That got old two episodes in and I'm glad it's an angle they eventually dropped.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

I guess it could be spoilered because the characters in it?

I assumed this was just a nifty photoshop on my facebook feed, but I guess it was real chalk art!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Antiquated Pants posted:

I guess it could be spoilered because the characters in it?

I assumed this was just a nifty photoshop on my facebook feed, but I guess it was real chalk art!

It was a painted rubber mat. I was there yesterday (if you scroll up on this very page you'll see).

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

The_Doctor posted:

It was a painted rubber mat. I was there yesterday (if you scroll up on this very page you'll see).

Ah, i saw the other posts and realized it was a real life thing (it's quite impressive). I spoiler-ed because of the people in the official release...no idea if it really is one because I don't care at all but some people might.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

Painted rubber mat?!? Man don't tell me they're cutting the special effects budget AGAIN...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

This is real, on top of a house in my neighborhood (Oakland CA)

Kinda odd seeing the TARDIS hovering over that one story house like that.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

...you beautiful beautiful mod you.

Also, happy birthday to the one and only Peter Davison!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was about to say I was hoping for a 5th Doctor Big Finish sale...but after the J&L and Lost Stories sales, I'm tapped out.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

jivjov posted:

I was about to say I was hoping for a 5th Doctor Big Finish sale...but after the J&L and Lost Stories sales, I'm tapped out.

TOO LATE!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Oh goddammit. Hahahahaha

Edit: and with that purchase, my BF library crosses 500 titles.

I've never purchased a Main Range at full price. Ever.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Apr 13, 2017

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Wallet: (to CobiWann) Now listen to me, you young idiot; you're not so much gullible as you are idealistic...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I actually don't own most of these! :woop:

I mean... I didn't own most of these.... :cripes:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Jerusalem posted:

I actually don't own most of these! :woop:

I mean... I didn't own most of these.... :cripes:

It's just more Doctor Who you haven't experience before!

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

AndyElusive posted:

Poor parking job, Doctor.

Good catch. We do have parking issues around here.

Jerusalem posted:

Nice.

I thought it was pretty wild that they actually put one up there and that it hasn't been reported to the city and ordered to be taken down, but I guess it's no big thing.

Also, that's a multi-denominational community shrine on the sidewalk under the tree, if anyone's interested.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I disagree. That got old two episodes in and I'm glad it's an angle they eventually dropped.

Just going to chime in here and say that the aging rockstar is probably my favorite evolution of 12.

I've said it before in earlier threads but I loved the Raybans and the guitar. It's a large part of why I don't dislike Hell Bent as much as some other goons around here. Where 11 tried his hardest to be hip and cool, 12 actually succeeded imho.

I hope in his final stretch we get to see a little bit more of that Doctor before he regenerates.

AndyElusive fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The coolest possible Doctor (relative to the time of broadcast) probably would've been Peter Wyngarde playing the Third Doctor.

• Locked thread