Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

BobHoward posted:

New thread title: ridiculous audiophiles post ITT about wasting money

Isn't that the point? Or is there another thread for that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jmcrofts posted:

wait so... what does a headphone amp do?

Real ones simply amplify the signal to be loud enough to be heard in headphones that might otherwise be too quiet. You also use them to provide a usable changing volume control to use regular headphones with a device that always outputs at a single volume level.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I run my headphones at like 30% volume and have never had a problem with them being too quiet. Am I just using lovely headphones?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Jmcrofts posted:

I run my headphones at like 30% volume and have never had a problem with them being too quiet. Am I just using lovely headphones?

You're using efficient headphones.

Edit: but I'm gonna take a guess and say that they're also probably lovely.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You're using efficient headphones.

Edit: but I'm gonna take a guess and say that they're also probably lovely.

They're these

https://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-K-Isolating-Earphones-MicroDriver/dp/B004PNZFZ8

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

20 ohm, so pretty easy to drive. Doesn't necessarily mean that they're lovely, just designed to be used with low power devices.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Oh, I like those. Those are good headphones.
And yeah what Panty Saluter said. They're easy to drive.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Jmcrofts posted:

No, you're just using headphones that are well matched for the kind of audio sources you use.

One example of a scenario where you'd need a headphone amp that came up in Games recently: there was a guy who wanted to use the audio output from his Xbox 360 directly with his headphones. However, the audio output from the console is at line level with no volume adjustment, so it was far too quiet to listen to and he didn't want a receiver or something to connect the console to first. So, the solution that works best for him is to simply slap a headphone amp in there to get volume control and volume loud enough to hear all around.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
https://www.cnet.com/news/headphone-buyers-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/

The big advantage of higher impedance headphones is not the higher impedance itself, that's a side effect of the very fine wire used for the voice coils. That means less driver mass and lower distortion, but they are much harder to drive. So it's something you would use at home for critical listening, generally speaking.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Audiofools! Recommend me a small desktop passive loudspeaker. I need something for work, and I've already got dacs and amps to spare.
I probably won't ever actually use them at work, I just need to assert my cubicle dominance. I don't want them to be useless though, because I might actually use them somewhere else at some point in my life.
For reference, KEF LS-50's are far too big.
The more $$$ the speakers, the better obviously.

Edit:
Has anyone tried the Focal littlebird speakers?

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 12, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Do you have room for a subwoofer under your desk?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

taqueso posted:

Do you have room for a subwoofer under your desk?

I do, but I won't be using it.
At least not in the office.

Edit: the more I look, the more I realize there's not really anything like what I'm looking for.
I might have to DIY after all.

I'm thinking maybe 2 mini arrays of 7-8 of these: http://www.parts-express.com/hiwave-bmr12-compact-2-full-range-square-speaker-12w-8-ohm--299-208

Double edit: oooh or a whole bunch of these: http://www.parts-express.com/tectonic-elements-tebm65c20f-8-3-1-2-bmr-full-range-speaker-8-ohm--297-2156

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 12, 2017

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
What about some of these? https://teenage.engineering/products/od-11

I've worked with a few BMR drivers they're good if a little odd sounding.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

https://www.cnet.com/news/headphone-buyers-heres-what-you-need-to-know-about-low-vs-high-impedance-models/

The big advantage of higher impedance headphones is not the higher impedance itself, that's a side effect of the very fine wire used for the voice coils. That means less driver mass and lower distortion, but they are much harder to drive. So it's something you would use at home for critical listening, generally speaking.

The listening station where I was stationed for a while used headphones with an impedance between 40 and 50 Ω (can't remember exactly). I don't know if that's high or low but it was pretty critical listening. They were pretty expensive anyway.

Related anecdote: one guy got extra leave because he noticed the motor on a passing ferry was missing a beat and the shipping line was contacted and they were pretty happy to be notified of the fault before something drastic happened. He was very smug about that. I heard some seals.

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

Well, there's your problem!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Audiofools! Recommend me a small desktop passive loudspeaker. I need something for work, and I've already got dacs and amps to spare.
I probably won't ever actually use them at work, I just need to assert my cubicle dominance. I don't want them to be useless though, because I might actually use them somewhere else at some point in my life.
For reference, KEF LS-50's are far too big.
The more $$$ the speakers, the better obviously.

Edit:
Has anyone tried the Focal littlebird speakers?

JBL 4312M mk 2 - The cutest littlest jbl's. Or Tannoy Autograph Mini if you work in the 50's. Or maybe Sonus Faber Toy in piano black or walnut.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

At first glance I thought, " why is he showing off a CB radio. Has someone built an audiophile one?"

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

spookygonk posted:

At first glance I thought, " why is he showing off a CB radio. Has someone built an audiophile one?"

Breaker, Breaker, you're mids are so transparent.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Neurophonic posted:

What about some of these? https://teenage.engineering/products/od-11

I've worked with a few BMR drivers they're good if a little odd sounding.
That thing is sorta cool but I'm looking for something passive so I can justify buying my amp.
BMR's are odd if nothing else but the only other alternative I can think of is an open baffle full range speaker using some Seas or Fostex drivers.

iSimian posted:

JBL 4312M mk 2 - The cutest littlest jbl's. Or Tannoy Autograph Mini if you work in the 50's. Or maybe Sonus Faber Toy in piano black or walnut.
I'll admit that I've been eyeing the Sonus Faber Toy's for a while now but I couldn't get away with having them at work. They're too big.

spookygonk posted:

No but hot drat do I have an idea now...

iSimian
Jan 19, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'll admit that I've been eyeing the Sonus Faber Toy's for a while now but I couldn't get away with having them at work. They're too big.

Never too big! Cremona M Auditor's worked in my (home) office a while :-D

http://imgur.com/a/PhzSF

iSimian fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 13, 2017

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

iSimian posted:

Never too big! Cremona M Auditor's worked in my (home) office a while :-D

http://imgur.com/a/PhzSF

It's less a matter of desk space and more a matter of my boss seeing them and telling me to take them home.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I do, but I won't be using it.
At least not in the office.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I probably won't ever actually use them at work, I just need to assert my cubicle dominance.

Seems to check out

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
With all his headphone talk, I'm wondering if I can get better sound at work?

I've got a set of 250ohm DT990s plugged into an NI Komplete 6. Should I use a dedicated headphone amp instead?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You spent four figures on separate components with a 90% feature overlap solely because your weird internal requirements said "I don't want a receiver," you've won the thread.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

qirex posted:

You spent four figures on separate components with a 90% feature overlap solely because your weird internal requirements said "I don't want a receiver," you've won the thread.
:blush: don't give me too much credit now. I'm not quite there yet.
The UD-501 can't drive speakers and the AX-501 isn't a DAC. And I spent <$700

But if it makes you feel any better, I'm eventually going to pick up a Teac PD-501HR just so I have a component stack that's all matchy-matchy.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

'heheheh those audiophiles are such idiots! even if that voodoo DID cause a difference it would be so so so far into depreciating returns it wouldn't make sense!
anyway here's my setup to listen to outkast
it was a steal at $10k'
-- this thread probably

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
if it makes you happy it's not a waste of money :colbert:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Panty Saluter posted:

if it makes you happy it's not a waste of money :colbert:

My $500 ionized wooden volume knob makes me happy

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

26cm is too big? Wow. Coaxial or single driver is your only option then. If you're a fan of open baffle / hate your co workers and want zero directionality then I know somebody who built these and loved them:
http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/miniature-full-range-open-baffle-for-the-desktop/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Neurophonic posted:

26cm is too big? Wow. Coaxial or single driver is your only option then. If you're a fan of open baffle / hate your co workers and want zero directionality then I know somebody who built these and loved them:
http://projectgallery.parts-express.com/speaker-projects/miniature-full-range-open-baffle-for-the-desktop/

eh... it's more of a "this is really hard to hide, and if the boss sees it, questions will be asked" sort of deal.
I tried putting a pair of Beovox s80.2's on my desk for a few days and he blew a loving gasket. They weren't even connected to anything, they were just there while I made space to bring them home.

I was looking at that exact project not long ago. I'm starting to think that a coaxial open baffle is gonna be the stopgap until I sell my house and move into my new one and have an office of my own.
Right now everything is in boxes hiding away because apparently the people who stage houses for sale hate audio equipment.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Arcam Muso - I have a pair and they're great

120 x 155 x 230mm

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeaker,muso.htm

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
(4.7 x 6.1 x 9.1 inches)

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

eh... it's more of a "this is really hard to hide, and if the boss sees it, questions will be asked" sort of deal.
I tried putting a pair of Beovox s80.2's on my desk for a few days and he blew a loving gasket. They weren't even connected to anything, they were just there while I made space to bring them home.

You should go as big as possible, so they don't even register to him as speakers. Get something in beige and mount some horizontal plastic bars on it and he'll just see some filing cabinets.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Gromit posted:

You should go as big as possible, so they don't even register to him as speakers. Get something in beige and mount some horizontal plastic bars on it and he'll just see some filing cabinets.

Klipschorns just look like vintage furniture if you don't know what they are

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Gromit posted:

I have some beige Vendersteen 2ci's...
You might be on to something.

JFairfax posted:

Arcam Muso - I have a pair and they're great

120 x 155 x 230mm

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeaker,muso.htm

That's actually not a bad suggestion.

JFairfax posted:

(4.7 x 6.1 x 9.1 inches)

lol thank you.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
The new version of that appears to be smaller and looks even less like a normal speaker:
http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeaker,muso2.htm

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Will the fact that they're making noise not alert your boss to the presence of speakers?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
This guy is talking about $1500 REF speakers that he admits he won't even be listening to in the goofy audiophile thread two posts after he talks about soon buying a $fortune CD player with 8 million gigahertz DSD playback.

Master troll level unlocked.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Phanatic posted:

Will the fact that they're making noise not alert your boss to the presence of speakers?

I think you missed the part where I'm probably not ever going to actually use them at work:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I might use them to play a voicemail once in a while so the whole team can hear it, but probably not much else.

Neurophonic posted:

The new version of that appears to be smaller and looks even less like a normal speaker:
http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,Solo,Loudspeaker,muso2.htm

They're not the best looking speakers, but they're not bad.

Edit: ...aaaaaand now I'm looking at their A19 amp.
What the gently caress is a class G amp?

Double edit: :lol: Apparently it's a "hybrid technology amp" with no "turbo lag" I appreciate a good car analogy but :cmon:

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Apr 14, 2017

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I think you missed the part where I'm probably not ever going to actually use them at work:

I might use them to play a voicemail once in a while so the whole team can hear it, but probably not much else.

They're not the best looking speakers, but they're not bad.

Edit: ...aaaaaand now I'm looking at their A19 amp.
What the gently caress is a class G amp?

Double edit: :lol: Apparently it's a "hybrid technology amp" with no "turbo lag" I appreciate a good car analogy but :cmon:

Basically it uses a multi stage power supply to provide higher rail voltage ranges via rail switching - the amp will use a low voltage rail until its asked to pump out more juice and then switches to the higher voltage one. Commonly there's 3 stages. It allows you to modify class A/B to give more output and higher efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Khablam posted:

'heheheh those audiophiles are such idiots! even if that voodoo DID cause a difference it would be so so so far into depreciating returns it wouldn't make sense!
anyway here's my setup to listen to outkast
it was a steal at $10k'
-- this thread probably

But those $100 audio grade SATA cables are cheap in the grand scheme of things!

Anyway if I wanna placebo myself I will do it by spending as little as possible.