Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
Just curious, what is the original context? I mean, some of you apparently discussed this elsewhere, and if you have a big thread full of wonderful opinions then share it, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I hate dogs because they are filthy. Most people seem to love it when they lick your face or whatever but I just want to take a bath in bleach afterwards.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Grandmother of Five posted:

Just curious, what is the original context? I mean, some of you apparently discussed this elsewhere, and if you have a big thread full of wonderful opinions then share it, please.

Nothing, I just asked for a link in a different thread because I was blind and couldn't find it. Said I had a doozy to post but I didn't realize people were waiting so anxiously.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

No it isn't. What other people choose to do with their lives is their business, not yours, and whether you're affected by it or not is irrelevant.

Once something affects you, it becomes your matter as well.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

No it isn't. What other people choose to do with their lives is their business, not yours, and whether you're affected by it or not is irrelevant.

And what if a guy decide to just fire a gun randomly with his eyes closed?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

walrusman posted:

Knew it was the right thread for it.

e:

Glad you can diagnose mental illness based on two paragraphs of me being disappointed by a disappointing situation. You should be working on the new DSM, not wasting your time posting here!

e2: and to be clear, I'm not saying that girl should go against her wishes and go out with you, or that they should go against their wishes and have kids just because I want them to. I'm just disappointed and the rhetoric that it's none of my business is complete bullshit. It has plenty of effects.

Nah, it's really not your business. You're just being an entitled rear end in a top hat

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

If Hitler wanted to become a dictator and gas millions of my people, well, that was his business. Who are we to criticize him for it??

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

walrusman posted:

Nothing, I just asked for a link in a different thread because I was blind and couldn't find it. Said I had a doozy to post but I didn't realize people were waiting so anxiously.

Kids are just a really divisive topic, as I'm sure you know. Religion, politics, and whatever else can be provocative, but there is nothing that gets people riled up like whether to have kids and how to raise them properly.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

fruit on the bottom posted:

Nah, it's really not your business. You're just being an entitled rear end in a top hat

Well you got that second part right.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If Hitler wanted to become a dictator and gas millions of my people, well, that was his business. Who are we to criticize him for it??

More importantly, the people actually gassed shouldn't have tried to protest and just let him do his thing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Maybe he is, maybe his brother is as well? Maybe it's not possible not to be an rear end in a top hat, and the recognition of this is necessary to create a functional society?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe he is, maybe his brother is as well? Maybe it's not possible not to be an rear end in a top hat, and the recognition of this is necessary to create a functional society?

Only assholes think this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you're gonna put pressure on someone to have kids then you should have to raise the kids.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Probably one of my most unpopular opinions: I think the country would be a better place if the police had the power to summarily execute people without trial for certain crimes ala Judge Dredd. There's no sense having a trial for someone who killed another person with multiple witnesses, for example.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Probably one of my most unpopular opinions: I think the country would be a better place if the police had the power to summarily execute people without trial for certain crimes ala Judge Dredd. There's no sense having a trial for someone who killed another person with multiple witnesses, for example.

You should visit the USA.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
My fiancé and I are marrying next year. And we're not going to have any kids at all. We will be able to go see movies, travel anywhere we want. Go out to the bar on a weeknight. It's going to be really cool.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I mean, the kind of situation you're talking about is basically any "active shooter" scenario, yes? Most of those end with the shooter dead anyway, so we sort of effectively do this.

The police do execute people without trial all the time and they do have the "power" to do it. Try pulling a gun in front of a cop and watch the summary execution happen.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

I mean, the kind of situation you're talking about is basically any "active shooter" scenario, yes? Most of those end with the shooter dead anyway, so we sort of effectively do this.

The police do execute people without trial all the time and they do have the "power" to do it. Try pulling a gun in front of a cop and watch the summary execution happen.

Not really, I'm talking about situations where they are surrendering peacefully and unarmed too.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Not really, I'm talking about situations where they are surrendering peacefully and unarmed too.

Well, first off, that's psychotic, but second of all, most of these hypothetical "justifiable execution" criminals who did murder in front of multiple witnesses probably aren't surrendering peacefully too often.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

You also have to be black.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

WampaLord posted:

Well, first off, that's psychotic, but second of all, most of these hypothetical "justifiable execution" criminals who did murder in front of multiple witnesses probably aren't surrendering peacefully too often.

I think it should also apply to more crimes than just murder though but I didn't want to get "too" unpopular.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

What hosed up mindset makes people think "Public finances are really tight, you know what would save a lot of money? A total disregard for human rights."

If you think that system is so great, you can move e.g. to Brazil. There you can even kill "thugs" yourself in your private capacity, as long as they are poor enough.

Or, obviously, the Philippines, where you can kill anybody you like as long as you plant some drugs on their corpse.

ALso lol at the concept of witnesses in this system. Yes, I'm sure in a world where you can be gunned down with impunity as long as nobody speaks up, witnesses will boldly challenge the killers' claims about the validity of their actions, and will totally not be scared that if they testify, they will get gunned down under a made up pretense by other members of the corrupt police.

steinrokkan has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Apr 13, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Like, I don't know how you look at abuse of authority by the police in this country and then think "why don't we just give them this power officially"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

What hosed up mindset makes people think "Public finances are really tight, you know what would save a lot of money? A total disregard for human rights."

If you think that system is so great, you can move e.g. to Brazil. There you can even kill "thugs" yourself in your private capacity, as long as they are poor enough.

I think if you commit a serious crime you should forfeit human rights. And yes, it's all about saving money. Executing a criminal who deserves it under the current system is absurdly expensive and we could be spending that money on something actually worthwhile.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

I think if you commit a serious crime you should forfeit human rights. And yes, it's all about saving money. Executing a criminal who deserves it under the current system is absurdly expensive and we could be spending that money on something actually worthwhile.

Do you like Philippines' Duerte? THe guy who literally uses your arguments to carry out hit jobs at political opponents and to strongarm people into submission?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Do you like Philippines' Duerte? THe guy who literally uses your arguments to carry out hit jobs at political opponents and to strongarm people into submission?

Political opponents aren't criminals. So no.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I think it should also apply to more crimes than just murder though but I didn't want to get "too" unpopular.

I don't give a poo poo if you kill somebody, jaywalk or throw a gum wrapper on the ground. There should be a 1/10 chance of being shot on the spot. If you happen to live, your next offence brings it to 2/10.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
walrusman: "Look at me, I'm gonna post something so unpopular and personal that people will talk about it for days."
YIEA: "Hold my beer"

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

In a world where the police can kill anybody they like, and they are the arbiters of whether it was justified, the line between a criminal and a law obiding citizen is what the police says it is.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

walrusman: "Look at me, I'm gonna post something so unpopular and personal that people will talk about it for days."
YIEA: "Hold my beer"

Stop posting the thoughts that go through my head before I post.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Right, you'd just have to come up with some bullshit to accuse them of first. Not hard when you basically have unchecked authority.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
People who have chosen to have kids and film them with their phones held vertically should have a 1/10 chance of being shot on the spot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

In a world where the police can kill anybody they like, and they are the arbiters of whether it was justified, the line between a criminal and a law obiding citizen is what the police says it is.

Just raise the standard for being a police officer so you can trust their judgement.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Just raise the standard for being a police officer so you can trust their judgement.

loving lmao

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Sorry, who picks them?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well, you're out

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sorry, who picks them?

Honestly just fire all the current police and give all the judges and lawyers guns. They'll sort it out.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I'm starting to think this isn't a serious proposal at all!

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Obviously, we should choose the leaders of various religious organizations. Because a lot of people already trust them to be the arbiters of morality.

Holy folks, your guns are in the mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lemon-lyme disease posted:

Obviously, we should choose the leaders of various religious organizations. Because a lot of people already trust them to be the arbiters of morality.

Holy folks, your guns are in the mail.

That's a good point, you wouldn't want people who are incapable of possessing any morality to be part of the justice process.