Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

I think if the Sixers even get like 1-4 or 2-4 this year they will trade the lower pick for a veteran.

You are right next years unprotected lakers pick a big trade target .

I just think it's easier to trade next years pick than this years because:

a) Simmons is an unknown
b) Embiid's health is an unknown

On top of that if you have a top pick than Ball/Fultz need to work into the scheme too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Magic fired Rob Hennigan (no surprise) and for the moment Matt Lloyd is in charge. He's been the assistant under Hennigan and was in charge of college scouting for the Bulls before that. While he was head scout for the Bulls their four untraded draft picks were Rose, Gibson, Butler, and James Johnson, which is pretty drat good for the 1, 26, 30, and 16th picks respectively. Drafting hasn't really been the issue for Orlando though, and it's hard to tell how much of the team's propensity for bad panic trades and poor development is coming down from Alex Martin (I doubt DeVos is really involved).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

DeimosRising posted:

Magic fired Rob Hennigan (no surprise) and for the moment Matt Lloyd is in charge. He's been the assistant under Hennigan and was in charge of college scouting for the Bulls before that. While he was head scout for the Bulls their four untraded draft picks were Rose, Gibson, Butler, and James Johnson, which is pretty drat good for the 1, 26, 30, and 16th picks respectively. Drafting hasn't really been the issue for Orlando though, and it's hard to tell how much of the team's propensity for bad panic trades and poor development is coming down from Alex Martin (I doubt DeVos is really involved).

He also drafted Noah.

So yeah...I was hoping the Bulls would fire Gar and bring Lloyd back as GM this year but that's not gonna happen now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Did Giles look cooked when he came back for the tournament?

He looked cooked all year. I get the potential thing but it's really weird some people have him rising

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

MourningView posted:

He looked cooked all year. I get the potential thing but it's really weird some people have him rising

I had no idea he played all season. I remember seeing GILES IS BACK stuff in March but I guess that was just because he blocked a shot or something

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I hope Giannis blows up in the playoffs so teams will start looking at Ntilikina as a mini-Giannis and worth a top 5 pick.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WhyteRyce posted:

I hope Giannis blows up in the playoffs so teams will start looking at Ntilikina as a mini-Giannis and worth a top 5 pick.

Other teams need to stay away from Frank because I have arbitrarily decided he is the guy I want the Mavs to draft.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wouldn't the Sixers best case be Fultz and Josh Jackson?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

kiimo posted:

Wouldn't the Sixers best case be Fultz and Josh Jackson?

Yes. That's the wet dream, but If they end up with a guard and wing prospect in the first 7 picks (let's say Monk and Isaac) I'd be ecstatic.

I get the LAL pick next year unprotected looks great, but give me that poo poo this year. This draft has 8 or 9 *really* good prospects that also happen to fit the Sixers' needs.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ty1990 posted:

Yes. That's the wet dream, but If they end up with a guard and wing prospect in the first 7 picks (let's say Monk and Isaac) I'd be ecstatic.

I get the LAL pick next year unprotected looks great, but give me that poo poo this year. This draft has 8 or 9 *really* good prospects that also happen to fit the Sixers' needs.

That does mean trying to develop 3 top-level draft prospects next year, which is probably more than they can effectively do. They may be looking at trades if they end up with two picks.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Blazers seem to get their own mini lottery.
First coin flip is between 15-16 for their own pick.
Second coin flip is 19-20 for Memphis pick.
Third coin flips is 23-26 for Cleveland pick.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Lockback posted:

That does mean trying to develop 3 top-level draft prospects next year, which is probably more than they can effectively do. They may be looking at trades if they end up with two picks.

Also a fair point.

It's a good problem to have.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
You guys think Isaac might fall to the Knicks?

I'd really like a good PG but Isaac has that spider-body infinite ceiling

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Time for a game: what late 1st or 2nd rd level talent comes out strong and hungry and becomes an immediate roleplayer?
I love late draft guys doing well. Homer pick, but i hope its Jawun Evans. Not sure about best fit team. Who's the guy youre really pulling for to make it?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
So I've been turning the corner about Monk. He's way more athletic than I gave him credit for and I could definitely see him playing next to Simmons, especially in a scenario where you can surround him with Covington and another defensive minded wing/guard.

In fact, Monk and Isaac would really be a jackpot situation

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

ButtWolf posted:

Time for a game: what late 1st or 2nd rd level talent comes out strong and hungry and becomes an immediate roleplayer?
I love late draft guys doing well. Homer pick, but i hope its Jawun Evans. Not sure about best fit team. Who's the guy youre really pulling for to make it?

I'm probably biased because Nova is local and I've seen them play a ton but I think Josh Hart could carve out a spot in a teams rotation.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

aBagorn posted:

So I've been turning the corner about Monk. He's way more athletic than I gave him credit for and I could definitely see him playing next to Simmons, especially in a scenario where you can surround him with Covington and another defensive minded wing/guard.

In fact, Monk and Isaac would really be a jackpot situation

I've talked myself into every player in the top ten for Philly except Tatum, Fox, and Lauri.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Ty1990 posted:

I'm probably biased because Nova is local and I've seen them play a ton but I think Josh Hart could carve out a spot in a teams rotation.

Hart, Evans, and Monte Morris.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Josh Hart, Sumner and Luke Kennard (although he may end up going too early for this game) are my picks for dudes who contribute quick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'd be fine with Monk . He'd be so open all of the time .

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

gently caress you Miles Bridges now I'm going to have to talk myself into being ok with Justin Jackson

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Grayson Allen is going back to Duke for his senior year, probably to rebuild his stock after a bad year

I'm not even sure he would have gone in the top 16 given how loaded this draft is for guards

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

He probably shouldn't get drafted at all but people keep making that mistake so

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

He'll be lottery in next year's lovely draft if he can avoid tripping anyone again (big if)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I mean I wouldn't take him higher than late first at this point so if he bounces back next year he could take advantage of a weak draft

He'd probably be better off developing his shooting in the D-League and on a winning team's bench to give him a shot of being J.J. Reddick but hey maybe he won't be the next Jimmer if a team drafts him high

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

If Duke lands Duval (he's visiting now) with Allen coming back that could be pretty huge. Then again they lost Tatum, Giles, Kennard and possibly Frank Jackson.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
oh no what will they do without giles

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

He could have been their James McAdoo

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

He probably shouldn't get drafted at all but people keep making that mistake so

I did see mocks projecting him not getting drafted. Few had him in the first at all.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
If the Celtics keep the Nets pick (they shouldn't), given their rebounding problems, should they draft Jackson?

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The Sixers were able to work in three rookies this year, plus expand roles for second year players like McConnell and Holmes, and work in Justin Anderson at the end. I don't think it will be a problem to work in three rookies next year.

I'd rather get the Lakers pick this year because there are good prospects that fit the team available wherever the picks land. Not like the Lakers *should* suddenly become great again next year, but it could happen, and without the incentive to tank, they will win games they otherwise wouldn't have won.

I think the Sacramento pick potentially lines up better as a trade chip for a vet, in terms of the Sixers likely development as a team.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

paternity suitor posted:

The Sixers were able to work in three rookies this year, plus expand roles for second year players like McConnell and Holmes, and work in Justin Anderson at the end. I don't think it will be a problem to work in three rookies next year.

I'd rather get the Lakers pick this year because there are good prospects that fit the team available wherever the picks land. Not like the Lakers *should* suddenly become great again next year, but it could happen, and without the incentive to tank, they will win games they otherwise wouldn't have won.

I think the Sacramento pick potentially lines up better as a trade chip for a vet, in terms of the Sixers likely development as a team.

I mean, one of those rookies played 30 games on a minutes restriction.
Dario was completely poo poo until Embiid went down and he got to expand his role.
And above all, this sixers season was poo poo.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, one of those rookies played 30 games on a minutes restriction.
Dario was completely poo poo until Embiid went down and he got to expand his role.
And above all, this sixers season was poo poo.

They almost tripled their win total, Holmes/TJ/TLC were great, and both Embiid and Dario should be 1/2 order in ROY if voters aren't commies.

He's right.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They almost tripled their win total, Holmes/TJ/TLC were great, and both Embiid and Dario should be 1/2 order in ROY if voters aren't commies.

He's right.

Rookies are better than the average player that was on the Sixers, true. Rookies will be worse than the average player on the Celtics, though.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Kibner posted:

Rookies are better than the average player that was on the Sixers, true. Rookies will be worse than the average player on the Celtics, though.

The Celtics currently are getting buttfucked by the Bulls on national TV. I don't think working in a top 3 pick next season is going to be a net negative, even if Jackson's skill set is a bit redundant with Crowder and Smart.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Watching the Sixers this season was some of the most fun I've ever had watching the NBA in my life.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

January was pretty great.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Embiid's a blast, hopefully he sticks around.

I saw PJ Dozier just hired an agent, he might have had a chance to sneak into the first round in 2016 but things are too stacked this year. His stock's probably never going to be higher, though

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

euphronius posted:

January was pretty great.

I was at the Knicks TJ McConnell game and it felt like they won the title.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

The Sixers season was about as good as you could hope for. They have some real players and a real identity. They have a franchise player (pending health). They're light years ahead of where they were last year.

• Locked thread