Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Z-Nation is funner to watch than this grimace-themed show, but it actually sucks pretty hard and there's a million things better to watch.

Unless your primary show criteria is "zombies", in which case watch z-nation i guess

I'll say this for Z-Nation, poo poo actually moves fairly fast. They essentially did the Alexandria arc in one episode, the CDC arc in one, and I'll say again, has a LOT more cute dog That lives in an NSA station in the North Pole (or some poo poo) with ample supplies and so is totally safe from danger :3.

And hell, zombies are an inherently dumb premise after a point. Z-Nation has fun with the premise that TWD only let itself have early on before it started taking itself way too seriously. Hell Z-Nation has like 1/10th of the budget but it's so silly that the low budget aspects can actually be kind of endearing, and more forgivable than the alternative (90% of the episode being people sweating at each other).

In short, watch both we both know you've got nothing better to do or you wouldn't be watching TWD in the first place :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I watched some of Z-nation. So-so. Not something I want to stick with long term. Actually more serious than I thought it would be going in.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Lycus posted:

Actually more serious than I thought it would be going in.

I think the most damning praise I have for Z-Nation is that it's serious moments have about the same emotional impact as TWD's.

EDIT: Of course it is awful, I don't want to give the wrong impression. It is made by The Asylum.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Those first few episodes are rough even though you get to meet the traveling methed out weapons dealer throughout the show from the get-go

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

No one is saying Z Nation is Breaking Bad, but it's a fun show with campy elements. And the most important thing is you actually care for the crew you follow, because it's clear they're having a blast.

Also poo poo happens every episode, that's another big difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXZzpAqRltI

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 14, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

cosmically_cosmic posted:

And hell, zombies are an inherently dumb premise after a point. Z-Nation has fun with the premise that TWD only let itself have early on before it started taking itself way too seriously. Hell Z-Nation has like 1/10th of the budget but it's so silly that the low budget aspects can actually be kind of endearing, and more forgivable than the alternative (90% of the episode being people sweating at each other).

They never do anything inventive in TWD at all with Z's now, the only highlight I remember in two series was them having metal poured on them and spikes. If TWD somehow took some of the fight scenes, for instance, or sets from Z-nation and used them instead of [generic woods] [inside a warehouse] [Alexandria] and [green screen garbage dump], I'm pretty sure it would be heralded as the best thing ever ever to happen to the series.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 14, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I think from this thread I'm gonna rewatch Fear. It isn't the best but it has some points.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
While doing a rewatch of the finale it occurred to me,

How did Sasha know about oceanside?

Neegan has a mac10...with a long range scope...mounted to a suppressor. :psyduck:

jesus christ, cannot make heads ot tales of the word salad maggie was spewing at the end oft the ep.

The ep is even worse rewatching, knowing how it pans out.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 14, 2017

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Tenzarin posted:

I think from this thread I'm gonna rewatch Fear. It isn't the best but it has some points.

Im watching Z Nation for the first time thanks to this thread and it really is better in every way mostly because it doesnt take itself seriously.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Orange Red Bull posted:

Im watching Z Nation for the first time thanks to this thread and it really is better in every way mostly because it doesnt take itself seriously.

The sci-fi channel cancelled Farscape for Tremors the TV series. It is dead to me. They are busy remaking 2 hour movies into 3+ seasons of shows.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Tenzarin posted:

They are busy remaking 2 hour movies into 3+ seasons of shows.

Hey now, 12 Monkeys is way better than it has any right to be.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

JossiRossi posted:

The movie isn't even that good to begin with.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

The sci-fi channel cancelled Farscape for Tremors the TV series. It is dead to me. They are busy remaking 2 hour movies into 3+ seasons of shows.

They recently decided to try and make syfy great again and are trying to pack it with really strongly story driven sci fi shows, instead of poo poo like Ghost Hunters.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

JossiRossi posted:

I was talking about Tremors The TV show, please calm down.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Tenzarin posted:

I totally forgot they had a previous history of taking movies and making shows out of them. But still it was more Burt and that had to be worth something right?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tenzarin posted:

There's actually way more to it than that from what I understand; a clusterfuck behind the scenes that almost got aborted. The whole thing is a shame. I watched the movie they did later on youtube and while I could tell they rushed a ton of stuff and had to drop a bunch of plots, they definitely had a vision for the series and where it was going had it not been canceled I think.

Also I am 99.99% sure that the cliffhanger ending would have been a psychic vision if the gap hadn't happened. While the whole thing went down she was blind and screwed up from psychic visions, so it'd made perfect sense.

Tenzarin posted:

I've heard over and over this show was way better than it had any right to be but everyone assumed it'd suck (including me) so nobody ever started watching it.

ED: Oh yeah the show that made me say gently caress SCI-FI was when they took GvsE from the USA network, one of the funniest loving black comedies I'd seen in a while, and turned it into a serious "ultra cool action drama" that just suuuuucked. The fact they renamed it "Good Versus Evil" was a big warning sign as to how much they absolutely did not get it (and thought their audiences were too stupid to get it too).

I wish more shows attempted to get someone to renounce their deals with the devil by trying to beat the poo poo out of them, and losing.

Orange Red Bull posted:

I call it the Saint's Row effect. The comparison is really kind of apt, though GTA 5 lightened up a lot.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 15, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cosmically_cosmic posted:

The movie isn't even that good to begin with.

No, it's great. Sorry you don't like great things?

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blazing Ownager posted:

I've heard over and over this show was way better than it had any right to be but everyone assumed it'd suck (including me) so nobody ever started watching it.

ED: Oh yeah the show that made me say gently caress SCI-FI was when they took GvsE from the USA network, one of the funniest loving black comedies I'd seen in a while, and turned it into a serious "ultra cool action drama" that just suuuuucked. The fact they renamed it "Good Versus Evil" was a big warning sign as to how much they absolutely did not get it (and thought their audiences were too stupid to get it too).

I wish more shows attempted to get someone to renounce their deals with the devil by trying to beat the poo poo out of them, and losing.

I call it the Saint's Row effect. The comparison is really kind of apt, though GTA 5 lightened up a lot.

Didn't the show come at a really bad time after a couple of the dumber movies?

As a casual observer at the time you had the first movie come out. Then the sequel a few years later which was cheesy but good. Then the third movie which was dumb as poo poo with the "rear end blasters" and the remaining actors that still needed a check. Then the fourth movie which was just like the wild west or something?

By the time the show came out I was checked out completely.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Do people ever ever talk about what else is on TV to watch instead during the live watch? That would be pretty great, actually.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Orange Red Bull posted:

Hell yeah man, welcome to the club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgiSM3QvvzU

Barreft fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Apr 15, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I gave up watching this weekly at the mid-season break, and saved the remainder to binge at a later date.
Having now caught up I wish I had instead just mashed my hand in a door and considered the horror in that.

Whoever thought every scene had to be "two people sit 2 feet away and speak in laboured stage whispers" needs to be shot, and have their eulogy delivered in the same way.

What a crock of poo poo this has become. There's maybe 2 episodes of content in the whole loving series.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It really doesn't feel like the same show as S1, or even 2. Look at Carl getting shot in 2 vs Rick in this finale.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 17, 2017

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Negan needs a Scott Evil (Austin Powers reference) -style scolding about when to execute tied up good guys

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

While doing a rewatch of the finale it occurred to me,

How did Sasha know about oceanside?

Neegan has a mac10...with a long range scope...mounted to a suppressor. :psyduck:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Space Crabs posted:

Didn't the show come at a really bad time after a couple of the dumber movies?

Yep, the franchise was out of gas so a TV show seemed like a ludicrous idea.

It might have sucked, but 2nd hand I've heard it in fact was really fun. I should have checked it out.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Don't you dare badmouth anything Snake Plissken does!

Also what're y'all talking about with Sasha knowing stuff she shouldn't've? Was that in her flashbacks or whatever when she was flickin her bean in the coffin? I was literally passing out during those scenes so I don't remember poo poo about them.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sasha had no reason to know about trashies betrayal, and therefore no reason to be killing herself to buy 2 seconds reprieve.
For all she knew Negan was walking into a situation where he was significantly outgunned, and should have been planning to use that to escape.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Khablam posted:

Sasha had no reason to know about trashies betrayal, and therefore no reason to be killing herself to buy 2 seconds reprieve.
For all she knew Negan was walking into a situation where he was significantly outgunned, and should have been planning to use that to escape.

I don't think she knew about the TrashKru deal. She negotiated Negan down to having only one Alexandrite be killed in response to her Leroy Jenkins assault. The suicide forced the 'just one' to be her.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sasha, the lady who was established as being suicidal, got talked out of committing suicide in favor of a suicidally attempting to kill the man who killed the man she loved, failed, and then committed suicide?

I dunno dude, I don't think that's a plot hole

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Sasha, the lady who was established as being suicidal, got talked out of committing suicide in favor of a suicidally attempting to kill the man who killed the man she loved, failed, and then committed suicide?

I dunno dude, I don't think that's a plot hole

The laboured point was she wanted it to mean something (save Alexandria / her friends).
Honestly I can't remember whether we see her explicitly aware of the trashies deal, but she should have known about it at the time, as well as the fact Alexandria was armed.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Considering how many zombies have been effortlessly disposed of, she had no way of knowing her zombie would make a difference, unless she read the script.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Three cast members have been promoted to full time characters: Simon, Enid and... Trash Lady. Prepare to see the trash people in every episode.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shneak posted:

Three cast members have been promoted to full time characters: Simon, Enid and... Trash Lady. Prepare to see the trash people in every episode.

Trash Lady is the key to all this. If we get Trash Lady working. Because she's a funnier character than we've ever had in the show before

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Shneak posted:

Good for Steven Ogg...that man needs more work

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Shneak posted:

God loving drat it.

This time next year, we'll be bitching about how lovely Steven Ogg's character has become.

redleader fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 18, 2017

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Orange Red Bull posted:

Jadus more good good than Crow Kid. :caw:

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

You guys, the name Jadis was first used in the Chronicles of Narnia (she was the white witch). What stupid symbolism may TWD writers have intended?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
None, because they didn't do poo poo with Carol being Persephone or whatever

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

So wolves were her minions, but oops Team Rick already killed them.
She bewitches good guys to make them traitors....ehhhh. She bewitched Rick but didn't make him a traitor.
She makes a deal with Jesus the Lion to sacrifice himself to save someone.....(probably not, but there is a Jesus)
She turns people to stone...nope.
She rides a sleigh...no....
Snow and ice stuff.........no.........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
She convinced dozens of people to live in a loving junkyard instead of any of the readily available communities across the world. Must be some kind of magic.