Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I always assumed Harvey was non-white. IIRC though, his TNBA design had lighter skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
That's a lot of Mad Hatter. Also Mr. Freeze worked better for not showing up so often.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

As for the DCAU entirely, I think Lex probably has the most appearances of any villain.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lurdiak posted:

Luthor was definitely supposed to look greek or something
Yeah, he was explicitly based on Telly Savalas (who played Kojak, Maggot in The Dirty Dozen, and Blofeld in OHMSS) who had Greek parents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwQqEuqvCig&t=24s

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 7, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Reinanigans posted:

That list is insane. TAS Mr. Freeze is so iconic and only got 2 episode?!

Also, lol, Rupert Thorn is one of the most used.

It doesn't include when they switched animation styles and I think counts 2 parters as one appearance. Because he definitely had a third appearance after they intruduced Tim Drake, and I think his second appearance in the older episodes was a two parter. Freeze also shows up in an episode of Batman Beyond.

His first appearance in the cartoon won it an emmy.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

To be genuinely honest I don't think the Penguin is a character you can use very much. He's kind of... one-note and I think making him the Iceberg Lounge guy works for him. He's not crazy enough to be a Two Face style villain and he isn't rear end in a top hat enough to be a Joker. He kind of suffers for being too sane for a Batman villain.

I dunno. I've always felt that "every single one of Batman's rogues needs to be a Hollywood crazy person" is something the mythos has been too reliant on him.

I liked The Batman's take on him as a mirror of Bruce (Bruce, not Batman) whose family never made as good as the Waynes and now as its only heir Ozzy is just this petty little pipsqueak who runs around wasting his family's money being a supercriminal.

Really, there are a lot of Bat villains I think TB handled better than BTAS. Firefly and Riddler come to mind.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

It doesn't include when they switched animation styles and I think counts 2 parters as one appearance. Because he definitely had a third appearance after they intruduced Tim Drake, and I think his second appearance in the older episodes was a two parter. Freeze also shows up in an episode of Batman Beyond.

His first appearance in the cartoon won it an emmy.

I'll do Nrw Batman Adventures later when I get home.

Two-parters were counted twice.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno. I've always felt that "every single one of Batman's rogues needs to be a Hollywood crazy person" is something the mythos has been too reliant on him.

I liked The Batman's take on him as a mirror of Bruce (Bruce, not Batman) whose family never made as good as the Waynes and now as its only heir Ozzy is just this petty little pipsqueak who runs around wasting his family's money being a supercriminal.

Really, there are a lot of Bat villains I think TB handled better than BTAS. Firefly and Riddler come to mind.

I really like The Batman but even I will not stand up for Marilyn Manson Riddler, drat man.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

He's voiced by Robert Eglund, his episodes have a legitimately clever use of the Riddler's modus operandi, and he has a well written backstory.

Him looking like a dude I know barely anything about isn't really an issue.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

New Batman Adventures:

Joker: 6
Harley Quinn: 5
Clayface: 2
Two-Face: 2
Mr. Freeze: 1
The Ventriloquist: 1
Catwoman: 1
Scarecrow: 2
The Penguin: 3
Edward "King" Barlowe: 1
Baby-Doll: 1
Killer Croc: 2
Firefly: 2
Roxy Rocket: 1
Bane: 1
Calendar Girl: 1
Farmer Brown (from the best episode of TV ever: "Critters"): 1
Thomas Blake: 1
The Mad Hatter: 1
Klarion the Witch Boy: 1
The Mutants: 1
Poison Ivy: 4
Livewire: 1
The Riddler: 1

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

ImpAtom posted:

Controversial opinion:
I don't have that big a problem with Batman's villains being able to fight back against him. They probably should have weapons or tools that make sense but if you're going to make them something besides puzzles they should probably be at least a little threatening.

Also Kung-Fu Penguin is much better than the goddamn CGI show's Professor Pyg.

The only time it really bothers me is with Joker. Which I realize is a fight I'll never win, but it's just weird. The Joker shouldn't have to really fight Batman hand to hand ever. It's not about that.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I remember BTAS being mostly episodic, but it's pretty amazing how much continuity they did with things towards the beginning. Harvey shows up for a while before falling into a vat of chemicals, and Thorne reoccurs constantly. That pretty much stopped later on, but they did do a bunch of really iconic standalone episodes. On the other hand, I don't think it ever fully made sense why Robin would pop into and out of existence.

STAS didn't have the same sort of worldbuilding, but they did have that mob boss who eventually led to Darkseid, along with more 2-parters in general. Also they put more setup into some of the reoccurring villains because they had to work out an explanation each time for how they came back from whatever oblivion they were sent to after their last defeat. Joker can just pop up again a couple weeks later after being beaten up by Batman, but after Metallo gets lost at the bottom of the sea or Brainiac gets entirely obliterated, they needed to explain how they came back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

When BTAS was started, the mission statement was to treat each episode not as an episode of a cartoon, but as a mini movie. That's why most of them, especially in season one, have full arcs for the villains and fairly solid conclusions. That's why you had so few episodes that ended with hokey "I'll get you next time Batman" escapes or other usual trappings of saturday morning cartoons that were meant to get kids to tune in every week. It's also why many villains that aren't Joker didn't get that many appearances. If you tell Mr. Freeze or Two-Face's entire character arc in their first appearance and do an amazing job of it, you better have a good reason for bringing them back, outside of team-ups or episodes that involve Arkham.

As much as I like BTAS, I feel like Catwoman is right down there with Penguin for bad episodes. They kept bringing her back, obviously trying to do justice to one of Batman's most popular and well known rogues, but they never really gave her a Heart of Ice or even On Leather Wings. She was only used well in episodes where she wasn't the focus.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Reinanigans posted:

That list is insane. TAS Mr. Freeze is so iconic and only got 2 episode?!

He got an entire movie so I think that makes up for it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

As much as I like BTAS, I feel like Catwoman is right down there with Penguin for bad episodes. They kept bringing her back, obviously trying to do justice to one of Batman's most popular and well known rogues, but they never really gave her a Heart of Ice or even On Leather Wings. She was only used well in episodes where she wasn't the focus.

I like the later episode where she tries to seduce Nightwing, mostly because she calls him "the Man Wonder.'

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Roth posted:

I don't disagree, I love the silliness of The Penguin with kung fu.

Beware the Batman just looks boring. That CGI does not look appealing. I have heard good things about Green Lantern TAS though.

About the only thing I'll give Beware the Batman credit for is that they avoided using the staple Batman villains like Joker, Two Face, Penguin etc. and instead focused on obscure villains that haven't appeared much before. Problem is they never did anything good with them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

SonicRulez posted:

The only time it really bothers me is with Joker. Which I realize is a fight I'll never win, but it's just weird. The Joker shouldn't have to really fight Batman hand to hand ever. It's not about that.

He only really did it in his first episode. After that he tended to rely on goons or gimmicks. He even redressed himself to be more proper Joker like. One episode did have him get annoyed that Batman kept outmatching him, figured he was losing because he was physically inferior to Batman. So he stole some of Bane's Venom to buff himself up. Proclaiming he now at the brawn to go with the brain.

Penguin also became much less of a physical threat overtime. With his goons the kabuki twins doing most of the work. At one point Alfred beat him up. (They had some history as the Pennyworths used to serve the Cooplepots.)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

The really awkward scene where they play some real life pop song as Bruce and one of the women dance is so out of place.

Just watched the movie yesterday, this didn't actually happen.

It was random people dancing to the song with Bruce and Kathleen walking to be seated in the Iceberg Lounge. The dancing wasn't really that bad. They were going for a sort of dance club with fine dining type feel. It's Oswald...he'd probably be down for that.

Still like the song though. haha

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MonsterEnvy posted:

He only really did it in his first episode. After that he tended to rely on goons or gimmicks. He even redressed himself to be more proper Joker like. One episode did have him get annoyed that Batman kept outmatching him, figured he was losing because he was physically inferior to Batman. So he stole some of Bane's Venom to buff himself up. Proclaiming he now at the brawn to go with the brain.

Penguin also became much less of a physical threat overtime. With his goons the kabuki twins doing most of the work. At one point Alfred beat him up. (They had some history as the Pennyworths used to serve the Cooplepots.)

Oh, I didn't mean specifically in The Batman. I mean in all Batman media.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Just watched the movie yesterday, this didn't actually happen.

It was random people dancing to the song with Bruce and Kathleen walking to be seated in the Iceberg Lounge. The dancing wasn't really that bad. They were going for a sort of dance club with fine dining type feel. It's Oswald...he'd probably be down for that.

Still like the song though. haha

A song like that has no place in the retro noir world of BTAS, tho.

Skwirl posted:

I like the later episode where she tries to seduce Nightwing, mostly because she calls him "the Man Wonder.'

That episode was kinda stupid because all of a sudden they dropped the moral ambiguity of Catwoman's character and just made her a villain. Also that redesign is rouuuuugh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

A song like that has no place in the retro noir world of BTAS, tho.

That episode was kinda stupid because all of a sudden they dropped the moral ambiguity of Catwoman's character and just made her a villain. Also that redesign is rouuuuugh.

I think every so often you have to have Catwoman do something obviously criminal just to keep her on the fence of "anti hero" because otherwise she ends up well on the side of good guy, and I feel like it's better for her character to be distanced from that.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

purple death ray posted:

I think every so often you have to have Catwoman do something obviously criminal just to keep her on the fence of "anti hero" because otherwise she ends up well on the side of good guy, and I feel like it's better for her character to be distanced from that.

Kind-of-sort-of-related, but how did that whole thing end up with her maybe killing a whole bunch of people in one of the Batman comics recently? (I don't know really any more details than that)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

redbackground posted:

Kind-of-sort-of-related, but how did that whole thing end up with her maybe killing a whole bunch of people in one of the Batman comics recently? (I don't know really any more details than that)

She was covering for Holly Robinson, who actually killed the people.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Wow. That's somehow a million times worse.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I only saw the first episode of Beware the Batman, and it was enjoyable enough, but just one doesn't give a whole lot of feel for a show like that either. I'd like to see more, but WB is weird with their DC shows on Netflix.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dexie posted:

He got an entire movie so I think that makes up for it?
Then they kind of ruined Mr. Freeze with New Adventures episode "Meltdown", but then saved him in Batman Beyond.

Poor Clayface got hosed over pretty hard in the DCAU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Clayface was always a dick, his origin just had him get manipulated by an even bigger dick. Even if that hadn't happened, he was still an abusive narcissist and later a murderer. I have no issues with his final fate.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

achillesforever6 posted:

Then they kind of ruined Mr. Freeze with New Adventures episode "Meltdown", but then saved him in Batman Beyond.

Poor Clayface got hosed over pretty hard in the DCAU
"Meltdown" is fine on its own, and there's a lot I like about it.

It's just that the ending of Sub-Zero is not only good and conclusive, but the notion that Freeze presumably goes onto live like an immortal God of the North with his polar bear friends is great.

I think "Deep Freeze" is also incredibly under-credited. It's a great episode that follows through with a trend of B:TAS/TNBA/BB of taking the gimmicks and powers of the villains to interesting extremes. What happens when The Ventriloquist is cured, what happens if Two-Face develops another personality, what are the results of Bane's years of venom usage, how far is Ra's willing to go to be immortal, can Clayface make sentient off-shoots of his own body. Deep Freeze makes the leap of, "Wait, isn't Mr. Freeze technically immortal?" and then brings evil Walt Disney into the mix.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm gonna be reading The Dark Knight Returns for the first time in a bit.

Should I check out the two part movie adaptation?

Also I re-watched X-Men Evolution recently. I still liked it a lot.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

NikkolasKing posted:

It was pretty good. Although it does suffer from the same flaws as the book (Miller's right-wing attitude being very transparent) and if you ask SA poster KalonZombie,is a crime against humanity. But at least Robocop's in it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

If you like bad animation.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

I haven't watched it in a long time but it gets so much better after they pretty much ditch the high school setting. Before then, the episodes range from mundane to offensively bad.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

It has all the problems of Miller's work with none of the pluses. But it's fine.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

I haven't watched it in a long time but it gets so much better after they pretty much ditch the high school setting. Before then, the episodes range from mundane to offensively bad.

My opinion on this is that it was a good idea to show them as normal teenagers in high school even if many of the episodes, particularly in Season 1, were weak. I remember very distinctly that TAS starts with everyone knowing about mutants, as do the original movies. I think something is lost when you do it that way. The whole point of the X-Men or "mutants as metaphors" is that these people are just like you and me. (you and I?) We see that in Season 1 and most of Season 2. We see them go to a perfectly normal high school, they play sports and join afterschool clubs, they have non-powered friends, etc.. So when Season 3 rolls around and we see them exposed, it's so much more effective in my opinion. I remember Principal Kelly having to give back all the school's soccer trophies because Jean played on their soccer team and maybe she used her powers to cheat.

Obviously that's a pretty minor thing compared to the season opening with the military launching a manhunt for the "mutant menace." But it's the kind of storytelling I liked about Evolution. It focused a lot on the little things. I definitely think the "before and after" approach makes the concept work better.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 13, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
Watched Teen Tit-ans: Judas Contract and it was meh, but I think I enjoyed it more than the last TT movie because of Deathstroke. But my main takeaway was it made me sad because I didn't know Miguel Ferrer had died and him voicing Deathstroke was his last voice performance. His last live action is going to be the Twin Peaks revival. :(

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
RUMOR TIME! Watchmen may be getting an R-Rated Animated Movie because there's no such thing as letting sleeping dogs lie..

This sounds like something that could be very easily fabricated so I'm not betting anything but might as well share it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samuringa posted:

RUMOR TIME! Watchmen may be getting an R-Rated Animated Movie because there's no such thing as letting sleeping dogs lie..

This sounds like something that could be very easily fabricated so I'm not betting anything but might as well share it.

I don't even like the movie we already have and I know this will be worse.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

You gotta setup the forthcoming Rebirth movies somehow.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

X-O posted:

You gotta setup the forthcoming Rebirth movies somehow.

I laughed until I realized it was probably true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey at least the Rebirth movies stand a chance of being a lot better than the N52 ones.