Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for an app that plays local music? The OP listed a few, but it didn't have much to say about them, and I was hoping somebody would be knowledgeable enough to be able to say "Oh yeah, this one's great compared to most of the crap out there, I use it all the time." Or is local music playing something nobody gives a poo poo about anymore?

I care about it a lot as I view my phone as a replacement for my lost lamented ipods. I seek out reviews and try paid and unpaid versions of most of the popular ones and have yet to develop much of an opinion. Lately I am using doubleTwist because it has local radio + podcasts + equalizer. I've liked Black Player Pro and Stellio in the recent past but honestly can't tell the difference without looking at them which really isn't the point of an audio app.

Love to discuss them and their many perceived faults though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
I used poweramp pretty regularly before I got a car that supports Android auto, at which point I started using Google play music.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

syscall girl posted:

Love to discuss them and their many perceived faults though

Do tell, I suppose. I don't find the in-store app ratings system to be very useful, so personal descriptions carry a lot of weight with me.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

couldcareless posted:

I used poweramp pretty regularly before I got a car that supports Android auto, at which point I started using Google play music.

This is what I have always heard people using as well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

John Lee posted:

Do tell, I suppose. I don't find the in-store app ratings system to be very useful, so personal descriptions carry a lot of weight with me.

I actually have nothing, the ones listed above all work fine. I just get cheesed off that they all seem to have separate obtuse little issues with finding, using, downloading and sharing album art so I end up with at least four images for each album accessible but not used, in separate caches that other apps want to clean out to the tune of gigabytes eventually that are just one click away from the placeholder image but the app couldn't figure out to just use one of these images? And getting an app to that state takes 10 or 20 minutes of looking for images on the phone and online somehow.

Also Black Player Pro has a folder mode for people who like to organize the old fashioned way but it chokes really hard every time it loads if you have a lot of music. Not worth paying for in that regard.

None of that is terribly important if you just want to put a player on shuffle except for maybe that I keep hearing the same 10 songs out of 6000+ every time I restart a player and I start thinking about seeding random functions and becoming irrationally irritated. Oh, and players that don't show an option to rate a track right there on the lock screen but I know they're using the ratings to pick the play order. iPods used to move (chronologically?) in a semi-linear way through your playlist on shuffle because they used a physical disk but getting the sensation that modern players are doing this with non-volatile memory is frustrating. Probably wrong about this but whatever.

Oh and the basic thing where you can close a player but keep the music going and then it chokes and shows "0:00 of 0:00" and you close it and open another and get the same thing. And one of these is allegedly using a different audio engine which is "better" than the others and idkwtf I'm not an audiophile, sounds the same on my plantronics but no music is no music.

Some of these I think are more a problem with android than the players specifically though.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

John Lee posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations for an app that plays local music? The OP listed a few, but it didn't have much to say about them, and I was hoping somebody would be knowledgeable enough to be able to say "Oh yeah, this one's great compared to most of the crap out there, I use it all the time." Or is local music playing something nobody gives a poo poo about anymore?

I don't stream. I tried a few different music players, and ended up going with PowerAmp. Every other app I tried just ignored the ID3 stuff, and put whatever it wanted. PowerAmp not only respects what's there, but also allows me to edit it, and keeps the changes I made.

Also: They're working on a brand new version of PowerAmp. It won't be an upgrade, but a new app. That's all the info we have right now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kheldarn posted:

I don't stream. I tried a few different music players, and ended up going with PowerAmp. Every other app I tried just ignored the ID3 stuff, and put whatever it wanted. PowerAmp not only respects what's there, but also allows me to edit it, and keeps the changes I made.

Also: They're working on a brand new version of PowerAmp. It won't be an upgrade, but a new app. That's all the info we have right now.

Yeah probably ignore my posts, this is really good. Although I would still recommend doubleTwist for the internet radio station finder.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I got a new phone the other day (s7 edge) and I put Foobar2000 on it, it works pretty well as far as I can tell, much the same as it does on my desktop. I don't really tend do much in the way of Bluetoothing because I just use a massive capacity USB stick in the car so don't know how it works in that respect but for cataloging local music it works a treat. A fair few different ways of viewing/finding files within your folders and a couple of different shuffle modes if that's your bag too.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 14, 2017

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

John Lee posted:

I use Phonograph and have nothing really negative or positive to say about it.

It does what it says it should do, doesn't crash, and doesn't festoon my phone with ads or other things I don't care about.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I use Pulsar because I liked the layout better than other options, and after trying several that's what it came down to for me.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

So what I'm hearing is:
-Eh, they all work okay
-But don't poo poo up your phone with a bunch of different ones

Alright, cool. I'll probably go with Poweramp or Pulsar, from what I'm seeing. Thanks again, all!

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Semi-related question: I just got my first new phone since Jelly Bean, and I'm looking for the best free way to skip to the next track without looking at the screen. The stock Music app has a pretty cool "next track on shake" feature, but it doesn't seem to work with Play Music, which I like a lot more.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I use Shuttle and Rocket Player. Shuttle is fast and does most of what I want. The one thing that Rocket Player lets me do is I can rate songs there and they'll sync back to iTunes on my Mac when I use iSyncr. The problem with it is that it's noticeably less responsive and slower to load on my Moto G3. If there's a different player that would let me sync ratings without that slowness is be intrigued.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

LastInLine posted:

Hey Pixel People, do you find that widgets on the Pixel Launcher stop working after a while?

CLAM DOWN posted:

I have not had any widget issues on my Pixel XL but I don't use very many, just SoundHound, Today calendar, and Tapet.

Through experimentation I've found that it's definitely Pixel launcher causing it. In fact, I found that just going to the "Add a widget" screen or even highlighting any widget so that it's resizable is enough to make all the widgets work again.

I also tried adding new, arbitrary widgets that have a header with scrollable content and they all fail in the same way. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix it but I'm guessing there is not.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lester Shy posted:

Semi-related question: I just got my first new phone since Jelly Bean, and I'm looking for the best free way to skip to the next track without looking at the screen. The stock Music app has a pretty cool "next track on shake" feature, but it doesn't seem to work with Play Music, which I like a lot more.

Before I got my bluetooth headphones the closest I could get to this was an app called Button Mapper to use the vol +/- buttons double-tapped to do ff and reverse.

I think I have to have it on the lock screen before that works though so it's more like home -> double-tap volume+ = next track but I could at least do this without looking. There's also a voice plug-in for Poweramp but I realized as much as I love talking to my phone I'm perfectly comfortable just touching my earphones and haven't tried this to see how well it works.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Lester Shy posted:

My earbuds let me press the mic button once to pause, twice to jump to the next track, and three times to go back to the previous track. It works fine for me, since I have PowerAmp set to always shuffle my music.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Lester Shy posted:

I like Wave Control, which uses the proximity sensor to send commands to whatever's playing. Not the best option for you if your phone is an a pocket, but it's what I use while driving since I don't have bluetooth in my car.

The free version has ads, and is a perfectly functional set of basic features. I like the pay version (Wave Control Pro) because it adds a few more features and was free since I used my Google Opinion Rewards fun money on it.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

effika posted:

I like Wave Control, which uses the proximity sensor to send commands to whatever's playing. Not the best option for you if your phone is an a pocket, but it's what I use while driving since I don't have bluetooth in my car.

The free version has ads, and is a perfectly functional set of basic features. I like the pay version (Wave Control Pro) because it adds a few more features and was free since I used my Google Opinion Rewards fun money on it.

I'll second this (pro) for anytime voice commands would be rude or impractical. Great while cooking, dash-mounted, anything as long as the phone isn't in your pocket or bag and has a functioning proximity sensor. You can customize a few "gestures" like 1-pass, hold, 2-pass etc.

There's also that crowd funded Pressy or Pressly thing, which would occupy your headphone jack as a "smart" button. But I haven't heard anything about that in a long time.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Pressy was poo poo that's why

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

It was not so much it was poo poo, it was the fact cheap knockoffs appeared before it actually got released

Then it was kind of poo poo

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
I have iTunes running on a PC.
I want to be able to play Beats 1 Radio on my PC without actually having to go downstairs and use my PC. Any way I can use my Android tablet to start this task?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Chrome Remote Desktop?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I have iTunes running on a PC.
I want to be able to play Beats 1 Radio on my PC without actually having to go downstairs and use my PC. Any way I can use my Android tablet to start this task?

Unified Remote would probably do it.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah it has a pretty full featured remote for iTunes it looks like:
https://www.unifiedremote.com/remotes/itunes

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I seem to have some vague memory of Google Photos having some functionality around automatic albums containing photos from multiple people at the same event. Is that still (or ever) a thing? How does it work if so?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Thermopyle posted:

I seem to have some vague memory of Google Photos having some functionality around automatic albums containing photos from multiple people at the same event. Is that still (or ever) a thing? How does it work if so?

That sounds like something that would have been done in conjunction with Google Plus, possibly involving a check-in or explicit opt-in.

I also remember hearing about it being tested, but I don't know if ever heard about it becoming a full-fledged feature.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Thermopyle posted:

It's part of Events within Google Plus, I've used it. If you can actually convince anyone to set up an event in G+ it's part of the Event page. I don't know if that fits your definition of "automatic".

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Not quite sure where to put this, but you guys scare me less than AI, so here goes: Are there any key finder fobs that don't suck... and also have apps that can install on a phone that can't upgrade past Android 4.1.x? My mother keeps calling me about losing her keys, but most of the ones on this list only work on phones 4.2 or 4.4 and above, the few that don't apparently just suck period.

And no, there is no room in any of our budgets for a new phone for her.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Have you considered a length of string?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Man, I'd send you my old Galaxy Nexus if it wasn't my backup phone and the battery didn't royally suck... I'd be surprised if you can't get a functional phone for like $30.

I did a quick look on Amazon and there's a bunch of key finders that don't use your phone but come with their own base. About the same price as a single phone based setup (under $20). Wouldn't be anything fancy, but it's probably the cheapest solution. Sorry, can't recommend anything specific.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Buy your mom a phone made in the past five years and a Tile.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

The Duggler posted:

Have you considered a length of string?

Or a place (one bowl or hanger per home level) to put keys. Or confronting the slow creep of dementia :smith:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

My mom sends texts to both my wife and I from her iphone in some way that I can't get her to explain over the phone. I use Google Voice and when she does this, I get it as an email instead of in Hangouts. Wife who doesn't use Voice, gets it in Messages.

I assume it's coming as a MMS, but I thought Voice was supposed to support MMS messages now? I tested sending an MMS from my wife's phone to me and it came through in Hangouts just fine....

Anyone know WTF?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
She's most likely sending it to the iPhone Apple ID, and not her phone number.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

She's most likely sending it to the iPhone Apple ID, and not her phone number.

I'm not sure I understand you or if you understand me!

Why, when my mom is sending a message that goes to both my wife and I (both Android users), should she be sending it to her own phone number?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My guess is she's not actually sending it to your phone number and instead is sending it to your email address.

SMS clients usually let you put either a phone number or email address in.

Let me guess, your email address matches what the contact name would be?

For example, I can create a new message and start typing a friend's email address and it will auto complete to the contact name. But WHAT it's being sent to is the email address. I do the same thing and use the contact's name, it auto populates with a mobile number.

Remember, most carriers have SMS to email gateways in place. If someone sends an SMS to your email address, it will likely come through as an email.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Thermopyle posted:

My mom sends texts to both my wife and I from her iphone in some way that I can't get her to explain over the phone. I use Google Voice and when she does this, I get it as an email instead of in Hangouts. Wife who doesn't use Voice, gets it in Messages.

I assume it's coming as a MMS, but I thought Voice was supposed to support MMS messages now? I tested sending an MMS from my wife's phone to me and it came through in Hangouts just fine....

Anyone know WTF?

I just wanted to say that this started happening to me last week too. My dad has been texting my email.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

bull3964 posted:

My guess is she's not actually sending it to your phone number and instead is sending it to your email address.

SMS clients usually let you put either a phone number or email address in.

Let me guess, your email address matches what the contact name would be?

For example, I can create a new message and start typing a friend's email address and it will auto complete to the contact name. But WHAT it's being sent to is the email address. I do the same thing and use the contact's name, it auto populates with a mobile number.

Remember, most carriers have SMS to email gateways in place. If someone sends an SMS to your email address, it will likely come through as an email.

This is what I meant.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Any good widgets to track your packages being shipped?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

E2M2 posted:

Any good widgets to track your packages being shipped?

I've not used the widgets, but Deliveries has three different widgets to choose from.