Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Isaac Hennessy/Akela the Shimmering

Breathing heavy, Isaac takes a seat on the steps and rechecks that wound. Satisfied that he's not going to bleed out (might scar though, but hey, chicks dig scars), he pulls out the communicator and taps out another quick series of messages.

code:
We win, they lose, everybody's happy.

Except for them.

Think we can make it to one of the other fights before they finish up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Joe Obasi/Slugger

Slugger checks his communicator, looks at the map and nods, "Yes. I could get us there. Are you both ready to continue fighting?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

Liam Rochay AKA Claymation

"YE" *AHEM*. Claymation coughs slightly, soothing his voice back down to non ear-shattering levels. "Yes. Let's go right away."

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Vincent Scarfo/The Suit

Spend 6 power total to roll with the damage from the 3 bullets.
Initiative: 1d10+31+31 71

The Suit is rocked back on his heels by the volleys of bullets and disintegration attacks.

(Vanabola! What is it going to take for this guy to go down?) "Okay, I'm impressed Mickey, you can take a hit, and you can definitely hit back. But when you wake up, let your family know. You brought this upon yourself."

The suit points his arms towards the goons, while Continuing to look at Mickey. A beam of black space shoots from The Suit's forehead hitting Mickey.
Then a Second one hits him.

Action phase 71 - Spend 6 power for void form. Current power 31. beam of space attack: 1d20 1 Maximum damage of 28 Power Cost: 2 Current power 29

Action phase 55 beam of space attack: 1d20 19 That's a hit. beam of space damage: 4d6+4 13Power Cost: 2 Current Power: 27

"You're still up? Know when you've been beat man." A third beam of space shoots from The Suit to Mickey.

Action phase 39 beam of space attack: 1d20 8beam of space damage: 4d6+4 16 Power cost: 2. Current Power: 25

(Okay I need to give him a chance to Surrender, time to take out one of these goons.)
The Suit points a finger at another Goon, and a bubble shoots towards him.

Action Phase 23 Bubble of depressurization: 1d20 13 Miss. Power Cost:2 Current Power: 25
(Great, idea Vinnie, scare them into running away by missing)
Another bubble shoots towards the Goon that just ducked a bubble.
[i]Action Phase 7 Bubble of depressurization: 1d20 7Hit. Power Cost: 2 Current Power: 23 [i]

(Not sure how much more I can take or give here. At least, I haven't been hurt yet.)

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Joe Obasi/Slugger

He nods to both of them, "Ok."

Then his hands expand to prodigious size and he picks both of his teammates up, before leaping straight up and sprinting at double-time toward the nearest ongoing fight.

2 Power (time speed) + 2 (prodigious legs) + 1 (big arms) = 5, Total Power: 27

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

A rare advantage of being mute: you don't embarrass yourself by screaming in panic and existential terror when someone violates the fundamental laws of the universe to grab you and move you a short distance across town.

You just think those screams, very loudly, while the wizard in your head yells at you to man up and boasts that, back in his day, he faced creatures ten times as nightmarish with nothing but his bare hands, and kids these days are all soft and this is why he has to whip Isaac into shape...

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

BRAD! the Living Skeleton

Power 46

Initiative: 1d10+31 37

"Oh, for crying out loud!", BRAD! wails as he shudders back into solid bones. Goddamn fluoride in the water, messing with my mojo - gotta be more careful.

He flips Tony the bird, and as he does, bone shards erupt from his knuckles towards criminal.

Action 1; manifest bone shards,
Action 2; fire them at Tony,
Action 3; evade and hope nothing bad happens

Throw 1, Target 11: 1d20 9
Hit
Damage: 1d2+5 7

Throw 2, Target 11: 1d20 18
Miss

Throw 3, Target 11: 1d20 18
Miss

Power 43
HP 9/14

Captain Rehab fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 8, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The Suit

Mickey catches a lucky break as The Suit's decisive blast merely destroys what's left of his suit. He catches the second in the chest, but while it staggers him, he only seems to have taken minor injury. The third shot blasts away nearly all of what remains of his undershirt, leaving just the smallest rags hanging from his body. He fires back, but as he's still suffering the effects of depressurization, he only manages two shots, neither of which are very powerful, and both collide relatively harmlessly with Vincent's armor, though his bone armor is reduced to ash. The henchmen, however, seem to confer among themselves, and one of the three that aren't suffering the ravages of the vacuum of space steps forward and, along with the two choking thugs, lays down a hail of suppressing fire. With his armor mostly destroyed, Vincent can't help but duck while the final two mobsters make for the van.

(Your bone armor took 23 damage and is now destroyed, while your Bio-Armor took a whopping 10 damage, bringing it down to 35. Three of the mobsters poured a bunch of Power into a HTH special attack that gives you a -8 to hit any of them, though it doesn't help their boss, while the other two spent their actions getting in the van and getting ready to bolt. I hadn't mentioned it, but you may have inferred that the -8 to initiative applied to henchmen hit with the depressurization, as well as Mickey, so only the guy leading the special attack had two actions, he used one aiming. Mickey rolled disgustingly well on his armor checks, but now he's left with just 2 AR on his undershirt, and he's finally taken some HP damage. He's still suffering the debuffs you nailed him with last round, and is at 28 for initiative. The mobsters are at 13, 5 for the debuffed guys.)

Everyone else

BRAD!'s bone shards bounce harmlessly off of Tony, and it seems that the group of mobsters has at this point dismissed the skeleton as a bad joke, and are now focusing their attention on the apparent brains of the operation, Nora. She manages to lift and drop one of the mobsters onto another, who fails to notice in time to avoid getting knocked out as well, but not before both get a shot off, though one volley goes wide. The remaining ruffians fill the air with bullets, as well, and while one of their number demonstrates especially poor aim, the other two more than make up for it. The bullets don't harm Nora, but what happens next certainly does. Ten-Ton Tony, apparently fed up with the present situation, winds up dramatically. "I've had enough o' both o' you freaks! Now hit the bricks, grandma!" His fist connects, and after absorbing all that gunfire, Nora's protective field shatters, and her feet leave the ground. The blow sends the old woman sailing back across the street, but she's saved from a sad sprawl across the pavement by a soft landing in a comically oversized hand. Looks like the others have arrived, and one can assume they're not particularly pleased about what they just witnessed.

(Okay, all five of you are up and ready to go next turn. Nora took a critical hit from Tony, which on top of the damage from the bullets, resulted in 23 damage getting past her Invulnerability. That said, she can roll with 7 of it to get down to 16 damage, which leaves her on her feet, at least. Tony's initiative is at 10, his boys' at 15.)

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Joe Obasi/Slugger

Initiative: 1d10+19 27

Slugger sets Nora down gently, walking past toward the towering cement hulk, "You have struck the team Nona. Let the official record state: mistakes were made on this day."

Maybe Tony starts to make remark. Maybe he doesn't. Whatever he does, time suddenly speeds up around Slugger, and he leaps forward. He creates a bat of incredible size, swinging it will all his might - and more. The air ripples as for an instant the bat accelerates to mach speeds, smashing against the concrete capo.

Time Speed (2) + Prodigious Arms (2) + Big Hands (1) + Mach Speed Hit (4), Total Power: 18
Bat Smack (TN 13): 1d20 13
Mach Bat Damage: 2d10+7d6+1 42

"By you I mean. Mistakes were made by you."

Then a less impressive hit on the backswing, if there are still enemies fighting needing to be hit.
Bat Smack (TN 13): 1d20 10
Regular Bat Damage: 2d10+3d6+1 23

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 9, 2017

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

Power 43

Initiative: 1d10+31 35

BRAD! whoops with excitement as he watches Slugger beat the sand out of Tony.

"Home run, buddy! I softened him up for you, though".

Determined to make the best out of a fairly dismal showing up until now, BRAD! once again melds and morphs his arms into a bone sledgehammer, and lays at the remaining mooks.

Action 1, make Bonehammer
Action 2; swing at nearest remaining mook
Action 3; swing at nearest remaining mook

Target = 11

Swing 1: 1d20 12
Miss

Swing 2: 1d20 10
Hit
Damage: 1d8+1d6 11

Power 42
HP 9/14

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

[Wow, punching old ladies. That guy has everything that's coming... uh, y'know, coming.]

Isaac sticks with what's worked so far: hurling himself directly at the heavily armed goons and hitting them as hard as he can with his staff.

--------------------

Initiative: 17

Action 1 (Initiative 17)

Staff Attack on Mook vs 19 (HTH 5 +2 Accuracy +3 Big Club -0 Mooks +9): 17

Damage: 21

Action 2 (Initiative 2)

Assuming they haven't all surrendered at this point, another swing of the staff, targeting the most injured one still fighting back:

Staff Attack on Mook vs 19: 5

Damage: 18

HP: 21/26
Power 24/94
Staff Charges: 4/10
Amulet Charges: 10/10

edited to factor in the 12 power I saved by not lasering anyone last time

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Apr 9, 2017

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Bleedin' Nora

"Thank you, young man." says Nora, as she stares a hole through Tony. She turns her head for a moment, and pits a large glob of blood onto the pavement. As Slugger creams Tony, a wry smile crosses her face, quite the rarity indeed.

As quickly as it appeared, it disappeared when she looked towards the remaining mooks as she invisibly grabbed them.

init rd4: 1d10+11 16
If any of them are left by the time I get to them, I'm just gonna TK Fall Damage them

(HP: 2/17, Power: 51/78, Candy: 8/10)

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

“Worthless Trash.” Claymation bites out between clenched teeth. Stepping forward in front of Nora to protect her from any more damage, he shouts “WORTHLESS DESPICAPLE TRASH!” before hurling 3 more boulders at the now overwhelmed mooks.

- - - - -

Initiative: 1d20+18 31
46/46 Health. 57/76 Power.

Action One

Attacking First Mook With Boulder: 1d20 5
HTH 5 + HTH Weapon 2 + 3 ACC = 10. Hit. 55/76 Power.
Attacking First Mook With Boulder. Damage: 2d6 2

Action Two

Attacking Second Mook With Boulder. To Hit: 1d20 18
HTH 5 + HTH Weapon 2 + 3 ACC = 10 Miss. 53/76 Power.

Action Three

Attacking Third Mook With Boulder. To Hit: 1d20 6
HTH 5 + HTH Weapon 2 + 3 ACC = 10. Hit. 51/76 Power.
Attacking Third Mook With Boulder. Damage: 2d6 11

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Vincent Scarfo/The Suit

The Suit falls back and behind a car to avoid the stream of bullets from the goons.

(Porca Miseria! This guy doesn't know he's beat. Does he know something I don't?)

The Suit moves around the Car and 2 beams of space shoot from his forehead at Mickey

Action phase 72 - Spend 6 power for void form. Current power 17. beam of space attack: 1d20 Hit. 10 beam of space damage: 4d6+4 12 Power Cost 2 Current Power 15

Action phase 56 beam of space attack: 1d20 8 beam of space damage: 4d6+4 16 Power Cost 2 Current Power 13

(Wait, maybe this will scare them into Surrendering.)

Action phase 40 Form Bio-Armor Power Cost: 5 Current Power 8 Armor 125

The Suit Floats into the air his 'suit' in pristine condition. "This is your last warning, surrender now."
Two more beams of space hits Mickey.

If Mickey is down, then redirect to hit one of the goons shooting at the Suit, hits either way. Action Phase 24 beam of space attack: 1d20 7 Hits either one. beam of space damage: 4d6+4 14 Power Cost: 2 Current Power 6

If Mickey is down, then redirect to hit one of the goons shooting at the Suit, hits either way. Action Phase 8 beam of space attack: 1d20 14 Hits Mickey. I think it misses the Goons. Unless I count as flying, in which case the +1 to hit from Void Form will make this hit. beam of space damage: 4d6+4 19 Power Cost: 2 Current Power 4

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The Suit

As the final exchange between The Suit and Mickey Carozzo begins, Mickey finally takes a look around. "Goddamn idiots, looks like the others got their asses handed to 'em by your friends. Whatever, doesn't matter what happens, I'll be walkin' free by dinnertime either way." His last shot slams harmlessly against Vincent's armor as the barrage of dark energy finally overwhelms him. The last bolt knocks him flat on his back, and he doesn't look to be in any hurry to get up. However, during this, the brave mobster that had laid down suppressing fire waved the pair that was still with him into the open back of the van, and the vehicle sped off. Most of the money was left on the curb, though according to Mickey, this wasn't the first van to be filled. The last gunman drops his weapon and calls out, "I surrender! We're cool, right?" A feeling of familiarity tugs at Vincent, and now that he can focus, he has a chance to get a good look at the surrendered henchman. It doesn't take long for the mystery to be solved. Under the ugly hat is Vincent's second cousin, Rico.

(Mickey's down for the count, and there wasn't much you could do to avoid the other henchmen bailing and leaving you alone with your second cousin. Welcome to your subplot, titled "Witless to the Mob".)

Everyone else

Ten-Ton Tony didn't have time to process exactly how badly his rear end was kicked, but he would later be dimly aware of a baseball player moving at truly unnatural speeds. The blows from Slugger left him barely standing, and then, having been dismissed as an idiot, BRAD! took him by surprise and delivered the knockout blow, immediately before claiming full credit for the villain's defeat. Isaac and Liam handled the remaining thugs, leaving the situation neatly handled. However, at that moment, the man who'd been scared back into the bank by BRAD! illusion rushed back out, briefly enraged. "Hey, that wasn't my mama! Why I oughta... er... uh... bad time?" He didn't try to resist arrest. It would be a moment until the police arrive to apprehend Tony and his pals, likely with the press in tow at this point, giving the heroes a brief reprieve in which to collect their thoughts or enthuse over their first victory.

(I changed a target to fix the math on this turn, but regardless, congratulations, you win!)

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Joe Obasi/Slugger

Slugger looks down at Tony and the other surrendered goons, putting them in plastic handcuffs until the police arrive. Then he pulls out his Complimentary Superhero Handbook from his back pocket and pages through it, "So... by the power vested in me as an official Superhero of the Newark Municipality of the state of New Jersey, you are all under arrest. Please await the police who will inform you of your rights as detainees."

He nods affirmatively and places the handbook back into his pocket, turning to the rest of the team, "Is everyone alright?"

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

"A bit rattled, Slugs, but otherwise fine", BRAD! says as he looks triumphantly up from the prostrate form of Ten-Ton Tony.

"Thanks for the assist, dude"

He puts one foot on Tony's chest, throws his right hand up in devil's horns, and begins to glow red.

After a little while he starts to look uncomfortable, but stays in that position until the the cops and press arrive.

I'll subtract the Power for glowing if you want but am phoneposting right now

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

[Congratulations on not getting yourselves killed. At this rate we may make something of you yet.]

The wizard's relentless crankiness couldn't get him down today; he was finally a hero! Not that he was finished, oh no. This was just the beginning. Akela was right about one thing: he needed to get stronger. It wasn't always gonna be punks with guns. Isaac wasn't going to be satisfied with anything less than world-wide fame. He pulls out the communicator.

code:
Well done everybody! We did it!
With that, he leans against the nearest wall and just focuses on breathing for a while. He'd pushed himself pretty hard there.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Vincent Scarfo/The Suit

(Yes! stopped the bad guy, and didn't ruin a national landmark. I might be back home by Christmas. Merda! Rico had to be one of Mickey's crew? Aunt Ermina will kill me if she finds out I put him in jail.)

The Suit sets down in front of the hapless goon and the starfield winks out leaving only the identity disguising suit, "Please wait here until the law enforcement officers arrive, you should consider yourself under arrest. Tell me where to find the rest of the crew and the money, and I'll put in a good word to the DA."

The Suit hits the talk button on the Communicator, "Everyone okay? I've got 1 super and 1 henchman in custody, but 4 got away in a van."

The Suit waits to hear Rico's reply.

(Come on, Rico, be the snitch you were at 6.)

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Joe Obasi/Slugger

He watches BRAD! pose for a while, cocking his head to one side, "Perhaps you should save your energy and make a big illusion to recreate the fight, and then end with that pose. I think the news would appreciate that spectacle more."

Then his communicator goes off twice. He gives a thumbs up to Isaac, then replies to The Suit.

"We have 1 super in policy custody, 1 awaiting policy custody. Do you require assistance?"

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Vincent Scarfo/The Suit

"No Slugger, assistance is not needed here. If any of your suspects are awake, try to find out if any vans left before we arrived. This guy suggested that this was not the first van to leave. Glad everyone is okay over there. Meet back at Precinct once suspects in police Custody?"

The Suit sends Isaac a :thumbsup:

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

"BWAHAHAHAHA!" Liam bursts out in laughter in his huge, booming voice. Exuberant and unrestrained, unlike the thoroughly defeated bank robbers. Over a few minutes, his laughter peters out until becoming a soft chuckle. "haha... hah. We've only just started doing this now? God what a waste. I would have gone hero months ago if I knew it would be this fun! How's everyone doing? Especially you Nora, you need a seat or something?"

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Bleedin' Nora

As the conversation continues, Nora watches Tony, apparently in thought. "Hmmph. Probably not even worth digging around in his brain. No one is going to tell him anything useful. Unless you want to know the finer details of weight lifting."

Some blood trickles down her face. She wipes it with a finger and looks at it. "You know, this is the first time I've actually bled since getting my powers. I don't like it very much, I have to say."

"I'm pretty sore, but I'm fine. Thank you" she responds to Claymation.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The Suit

Rico sighs before sitting down on the curb, looking somehow even more defeated than would seem appropriate. "Yeah, arright, I just, I gotta make a phone call real quick. My aunt told me my cousin just moved into town, and I, uh, kinda need his help with somethin', if I'm goin' to jail." There's no time to stop him from dialing without employing unreasonable force, and a moment later, Vincent's phone rings. His mother must have passed along his number, seeing as he and Rico were never particularly close. As kids, Rico was always getting himself into some sort of trouble or another. It wasn't that he was a bad kid, he just seemed to have a knack for getting exploited by those stronger or smarter than him. And now it seemed like Rico was once again in over his head, and he was left staring at The Suit, realization dawning on his face. "Oh. H-hiya, Vinnie. I screwed up again. Sorry." Rico turns away, staring intently at his shoes, waiting for a response like a death row inmate waiting for news of his final appeal.

Everyone else

As police began to collect the defeat villains, several members of the press corps force their way onto the scene, and each of the new heroes ends up cornered by a journalist.

Liam, ever the handsome, rugged figure, finds himself in front of a camera talking to Greta Tannhauser, senior correspondent for the Channel 4 six o' clock news, the local CBS affiliate. The reporters for the other networks soon join her, but their questions all follow the same general theme. They ask about this new, local team's name, their origins, their motivations, and so on, mostly phrased in such a way that they can be answered with pithy soundbites. It seems that the local news crews have some experience with local hero teams, as the "report" seems to focus so heavily on expository information that it will inevitably turn out more like a PR reel than a sincere work of journalism. Given that trusted and proven superhero teams have been linked with higher tourism numbers and property values, their motives for crafting such a glowing report are rather obvious. It's just up to Liam not to mess it up by sticking his foot in his mouth.

Nora finds herself face-to-face with National Public Radio's senior correspondent (in that her stories are all about seniors), Ina Jaffe. She speaks in a clear, professional tone honed by a long career, her voice filled with a sort of genuine respect Nora hasn't heard directed at her in decades. "Excuse me, miss. I'm Ina Jaffe, with NPR. It's fortunate that I was in town as part of a report on the President's push to expand Meals on Wheels. If you have some time, I'd like to ask you a few questions. Have you been keeping your powers private before now, or did they develop recently? Did you face any obstacles to registering your status as a superhero due to your age? What made you decide to take up this responsibility?"

BRAD! is met by a reporter for the New York Times, Barry Fargas, so the rest of the team can rest easy knowing that whatever crazy poo poo he says will go almost completely unread. He receives many of the same questions as Liam, but the reporter also takes a keen interest in BRAD!'s nature as what appears to be some sort of biker skeleton. Barry is well north of forty, with thin hair and a thick midsection, and he clearly sees this as a once-in-a-lifetime chance to make the front page, of a weekday edition, at least. Maybe even above the fold, but he'll take what he can get. He brought a photographer, so if does manage to make it, BRAD! will be appearing in all his glory on newsstands across the nation. Come to think of it, if a denim-wearing, drunken skeleton superhero doesn't get people buying copies, print media really is dead.

Standing in front of the Slugger is a pale, bespectacled teenager in an ill-fitting suit, nervously choking out his words. "H-hi, I'm Brendan Mitchell, from the Central High newspaper. I w-was writing a story on h-how the school board operates when all this h-happened. I-I mean, there's some offices just up the street, across from the first bank that g-got hit. Um, c-could you give a statement for my report? A-are you a, uh, local fan, or do you prefer a team from somewhere else?" The kid gestures to Slugger's getup, still visibly shaking, whether from the stress of interviewing a superhero or from, apparently, having only barely avoided getting caught up in the bank robbery. It occurs to the Slugger that it's remarkably fortunate that there were no hostages, but then he decides to spare the matter no further thought and so does everyone else.

Isaac is nearly tackled by a girl close to his age wearing a Huffington Post pin on her shirt. She immediately launches into a rapid-fire barrage of questions, too many for even Akela's legendary intellect to keep track of, but the pair are soon saved as a policeman walks over and whispers something in her ear, causing her eyes to widen in shock and embarrassment. "O-ohmigosh, I'm so, so sorry! I didn't know you couldn't-, um, well, sorry! I'm Sophie Durham, HuffPo. Erm, oh!" She takes notice of the communicator on Isaac's belt and snatches it up before he can raise a protest. "Is this a Model 4b handheld communicator?! Oh, wow, that's so retro! These came out almost a whole year ago! I've always wanted to check out a handheld communicator!" She notices that the screen is currently on the text messenger, and raises a finger. "Wait a minute, have you just been using text? You know this thing has a vocalizer, right? Here, lemme see if I remember the schematics I downloaded that one time. Uh, totally legally, of course!" After several minutes busily navigating menus, followed by several more trying to undo some sort of extremely loud Portuguese-language mode, Sophie arrives on the option she was looking for. "Okay, I set it up, it'll be on the home menu now. Now you can just type something in and the communicator will read it out loud for you. Oh shoot I forgot, I need to interview you!" Then the questions start back up. His brain may have been replaced by crystal, but the capillaries in his skull are still, unfortunately, present, as Isaac's looming headache indicates.

(Alright, gang, do well on these interviews, and you may earn a Charisma increase check, on top of any you may have earned from the preceding battle. Be sure to keep your audience in mind for this.)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Vincent Scarfo/The Suit

(Merda. In the future turn off phone before doing hero stuff.)

The Suit leans down and whispers, "Rico, you can't tell anyone who I am, they could go after our family. The only word you say from now on is Lawyer. You keep quiet, and his family will get you out of here pretty quick, probably. But you call me before you do anything else illegal, capice?"
The suit grabs Rico by the shirt and shakes him, and loudly say, "Where did the go? Where?"

When Rico says, "Lawyer", The suits lets go and waits doesn't say anything else until officers approach. He will say to the first one, "Mickey is unconscious, and this one said Lawyer. Sorry, I couldn't stop the others from getting away."

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Joe Obasi/Slugger

Slugger looks down at the teenager, then looks up at the very annoyed and impatient looking man with the Rolling Stone Magazine press badge, then looks back down to the teenager, and decides the young man is more worthy of the time.

"I root for the Reds when they're on, but I always preferred playing to watching. As for a statement... My teammates and I were told that we weren't good enough by the big name superhero teams, so we decided to form The Other Superhero Team and be heroes anyway. We were incorporated..." Slugger hits the clock button on his communicator, "Approximately half an hour ago. I go by the superhero name Slugger, and I hit criminals with a baseball bat until they stop doing crimes. So far it's been remarkably effective. So that's my message I guess. When someone tells you that you aren't good enough, work hard and study until you can prove them wrong. Based upon the last half hour, it's a pretty good feeling."

He gives a thumbs up.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Bleedin' Nora

Nora, no stranger to public attention, turns on the charms.

quote:

Have you been keeping your powers private before now, or did they develop recently?

"The powers were a fairly new development, really. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, but I think I've been doing fairly well with it. It's quite a new experience."

quote:

Did you face any obstacles to registering your status as a superhero due to your age?

"Oh dear, there's always obstacles. There's jokes, you know, the elderly superhero isn't exactly the most common thing. I've got a thick skin, though. Literally and figuratively."

quote:

What made you decide to take up this responsibility?

"I've lived here a long time, I'm just trying to give back to my community. There's so many people out there who are afraid to go out due to all the problems around here, and that's just an untenable state. I'm just trying to help in my own way."

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

BRAD!'s rictus grin grows even wider as the newspaper photographer starts snapping shots, and he tries to subtly (or what passes as subtly for BRAD!) strike a number of heroic and/or cool poses as he enthusiastically answers the reporter's questions. He's a little disappointed that it's the New York Times - the Post is more his style - but, hey, any publicity is good publicity.

When the reporter asks their names, BRAD! starts pointing out his teammates.

"Baseball boy over there, that's Slugger. He's my buddy and he hits like Babe Ruth. The sweet little old lady is Bleedin' Nora, and she's like your dear grandmama, except she'll do a hell of a lot more than say she's disappointed in you, believe me. This guy over here is Akela, he's got a grumpy old wizard living in his brain, of course. I think the brain wizard and Nora been making eyes at each other. Yeah, gross, I know. The big good-lookin' fella don't speak English so good because he's not from here, so I don't know his name. Says he's from Claymatia, which I think is near Samoa. There's another guy called the Suit, but I think he's busy right now."

BRAD! points two bony thumbs at himself.

"And I'm BRAD! the Living Skeleton. Spell it like I said it. I'm a certified and certifiable badass with an advanced degree in bustin' bad guys. I'm faster than time. I fling light and shadow like a goddamn disco ball and bad folks might see a lot of things that aren't there, but the last drat thing they'll see is me. Just like that big son of a cement truck over there did".

He goes on to explain that they're The Other Superhero Team, far too cool and powerful for the mainstream groups, then pulls out one of his crumpled band flyers from his jacket pocket and holds it in front of the photographer.

"I'm also in a kickass band called Whitesnake Tribute Band and we're playing at Ray's on Friday night. Two drink minimum".

Pulling a different crumpled piece of paper, this one yellowed with age, from another pocket he continues.

"Also, I once had a college broad I used to knock boots with up in Montclair call me..."

He peers closely at the paper.

"Uhhh, 'a dissolute counter-argument to the romanticisation of the working class'".

He puts the paper back in his pocket.

"I still don't know what that means, but I know it ain't good. So I just want to say "gently caress you Wanda, I'm famous". Write that down, dude. Also that I want my Judas Priest tapes back. Put that down, too".

Before the reporter actually tries to ask another question, BRAD! interrupts.

"Now if you want my opinion on how all these super people started popping up all over the drat place, I'd say the answer's right over your head."

He points up.

"Chemtrails, man -"

It's clear that he'll go on at length

Captain Rehab fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 12, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

Huh. Well, at least it seemed like it was difficult enough to find the text-to-speech functionality that he didn't have to feel bad about not using it. I mean, he'd only had it for an hour or so.

[Keep telling yourself that. Now get rid of this girl before I further regret not resigning myself to the oblivion of death with the rest of Atlantis.]

Isaac scrunches his eyebrows and stares at the screen, trying to answer her questions as fast as they're coming.

"We're the Other Superhero Team. Kind of an ironically bad name, y'know? Very indie. I'm Akela. I'm a wizard!"

Isaac ignores Akela's snort of derision.

"Technically Akela's the wizard who replaced my brain with crystal. Except he is the crystal? I dunno it's complicated. And granted most of what I did here was just staff bludgeoning, but I do know some magic. Evoking the power of precious gems, that kind of thing. And I think a lot faster than most people. Or so they say. But yeah, you'll be seeing us around here from now on. We've got our sights set high, but everywhere needs heroes, so we're more than happy to work here in and around Newark. We're looking out for the little guys."

Isaac pauses, then taps out one last thing.

"Oh, right, you probably want to know about the other guys too. Baseball dude's Slugger, he's really something. Strong and warps reality to move fast, freaky stuff, glad he's on our side. Bleedin' Nora's a telekinetic, BRAD! the Living Skeleton's a, uh, living skeleton, Claymation's got earth powers, and there's also The Suit. He's somewhere around here, he's really fast. Any other questions?"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Despite his above average appearance and Sidhe heritage, Liam generally isn’t the most extroverted of people. Spending most of your early years alone in a hospital will do that to you. Fortunately he doesn’t seem to be receiving the personal touch his other team mates are getting. As long as he remembers to keep his voice down, this should be a piece of cake.

’Inside voice. Inside voice. Inside voice.’

GOOd to see you all! I am Claymation of “The Other Super Hero Team”. With me today are Bleedin’ Nora, BRAD! The living Skeleton, Akela and Slugger. We have another member, The Suit, who isn’t here right now; he’s finishing up busting the bad guys near Market on Broad."

“This was a good first outing for us, the first of many, many more! I want the people of Newark to know that we’re ready and willing to give Evil a kick in the teeth!” With this, Liam flashes a brilliant smile toward the crowd of reporters, pulling his shoulders back while brushing his magnificent hair away from his face. The fairy effect that stops people from recognising him when he has a shirt on should transmit just as well over most electronic devices.

“I was born here, in this town, and my family have been living in Newark since my great-grandmother emigrated from Ireland, and I’ve got to say, it’s a drat fine city. A city that I want to protect. The other’s can speak for themselves but you’ll find all of us dedicated to keeping Newark, and it’s people, safe. The other, big name teams around said we weren't a good fit for them, so we all came together to make a team where we did fit. We had just finished signing the paperwork at the station when we got the call. That just goes to show that Villains can strike at any time, but when they do we'll be waiting for them!" Liam strike a second dramatic pose for the camera, hopefully giving the reporters enough bait to fish up a good story.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The Suit

Rico looks like he has something important to say, but he keeps it to himself. While foolish, he's not stupid enough to go spreading Vincent's secret identity. The real question is, why was he there in the first place? He's not the sort to engage in criminal activity of his own volition. It's not hard to deduce that he probably made some bad bets, and owes the Carozzo Family money, a debt they called in when they needed the extra manpower for the heist. What will happen to Rico, or his family, next is unclear, but distinctly ominous. However, Vincent can tell that sticking to his principles by letting Rico get arrested when he could have easily let him go will have long-term effects.

When the cops have finally taken the criminals in, the sergeant handling the area gives The Suit a stern look. "I assume you're responsible for this." He gestures to the wall of the bank, full of holes, which, as if on cue, promptly collapses from the damage. "Typical, just what I'd expect from your type." The sergeant shakes his head and walks away to oversee the booking of Mickey Carozzo and Rico. Despite this, most of the talk among the officers is how Vincent single-handedly defeated the youngest son of Frankie "The Fryer" Carozzo.

(Good job, you've finished the first part of your subplot. Things will start to spiral out of control later on. Your Prejudice worked in your favor in this rare case, in that everyone just kind of expected you to cause some collateral, but taking out Mickey by yourself took them by surprise.)

Everyone else

The interviews go mostly well, each hero more or less achieving their overall goals.

Liam gives the cameras exactly what they were hoping for: a handsome, enthusiastic protector of the peace. Clips from the interview are replayed on every local news segment for the next twenty-four hours, and he even shows up briefly on the cable news channels covering news from around the country. Claymation even receives a modest amount of fan mail from admirers, mostly commenting on his well-developed musculature.

Brendan scribbles notes into his pad as Slugger speaks, and seems satisfied with the answers. He seems to have regained a little confidence, though he doesn't exactly exude self-assurance. "Thanks a lot, Mr. Slugger, people might actually read this one." While left unsaid, it's easy to tell that he's grateful that the quotes will be transcribed in text, so the reader can infer inflection that didn't actually exist. Brendan concludes his interview by snapping a quick photo with his cell phone, then runs off. The sports-themed hero soon finds himself very popular with the local youths, the baseball aesthetic and their lack of knowledge of his horrific body-warping powers proving to be appealing to the demographic. If only Slugger were more widely-known, he could start merchandizing.

A few days after her interview, Ina Jaffe's report airs on NPR, where she gives account of the elderly woman who, discovering wonderous new powers, didn't spare a second thought before signing up to be a superhero. The story focuses a lot on one's ability to make a difference, even at an advanced age. This provides comfort to older listeners, who often feel as though their lives have already ended and they're just waiting out the clock. Over the coming months, several other senior citizens who have developed superpowers begin registering as heroes, citing Nora as their inspiration.

The Times reporter looks about a decade older by the time BRAD! has finished his diatribe, and stares glumly at his notes. "Well, thank you... I guess." He slowly walks away to commit whatever he can salvage to paper. The report appears on page B5 of the Thursday edition. The following day, Barry Fargas is rushed to the hospital, having been found unconscious in his garage, his car engine running. Fortunately, his wife's divorce lawyer had shown up to deliver some paperwork, and heard the engine. When he regained consciousness, Barry expressed profound disappointment, but resigned himself to life for the time being.

Sophie, enthusiastic to a fault, hangs on Isaac's every word. Or rather, the words being recited in the soft, feminine voice of his communicator. When he finishes, she flips her notebook closed and thanks him profusely. "Wow, that's SO COOL. I bet this'll get a ton of hits, thank you so much! I gotta run, but if you do anything else really cool I'll totally be back! Bye now!" The young internet reporter dashes off with speed likely fueled by one too many energy drinks, leaving Isaac and Akela in peace. Her article ends up on the front page of the Huffington Post website, and the new superhero team. The commentary on Reddit and elsewhere prove to be an absolute dumpster fire, as expected, and Akela in particular finds himself confused by some of the insults used, given that everyone on the team is single.

(Okay, now for the actual battle results! The various mooks were worth 50 experience each for a total of 800, with Rico worth 100 on his own. Tony was worth 320, Bada-Boom 200, and Mickey was worth 520. I'll toss in an additional 60 for good roleplaying for an even 2000, bringing everyone up to level 2. See the section in the how to play document about leveling up for how that's gonna work. Similarly, see the section about changing Charisma. For a successful first outing, everyone on the team gets a roll to increase. Additionally, Claymation, Nora, Slugger, Isaac, and The Suit get an additional roll, either for good interviews or Vincent's show of valor.)

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Vincent Scarfo/The Suit

The Suit just accepts the Officer's complaint, and flies away from the Crime scene.
(Rico looked scared, better call his mom and dad once I'm back home.)

2 rolls to increase Charisma: 2#1d20 19 20 New Charisma score 14. Apparently, Prejudice is just going to get worse, that is cool. I want to use the Improvement to get the Detect Weakness Skill.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 13, 2017

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

The reporters were probably the most dangerous thing Liam had faced all day, but he was out of the shadow of the valley for now. Time to celebrate.

HAHAHA! We’re superheroes! We’re superheroes and we just kicked evils rear end! We need to celebrate somehow. Any ideas?”

Charisma Roll One: 1d20 11
Charisma Roll Two: 1d20 8
There's going to be problems when The Suit replaces Clay as prettiest on team.

I'm going to keep my power-up point and use it for a skill-power next level up. I want to go with Heightened Characteristic for Agility.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 13, 2017

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Bleedin' Nora

"I could use a glass of wine, myself."

Saving my point for an ability, undecided on which yet.

charisma increase rolls: 2#1d20 15 12

Go RV! fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 14, 2017

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

"Hell yeah, let's hit a bar. Or a whole bunch of 'em. Slugger, I didn't bring my wallet with me - can you spot me some cash?"

Charisma Roll: 1d20 13
So Charisma now at 13

Gonna save up my point for an increased Agility roll next level

Gonna take my People Pills, too

Captain Rehab fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 14, 2017

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

[These mewling imbeciles and their damned anonymity. Is this how they reward their heroes? I told you this was a terrible idea.]

[It's just comment sections, man. If it makes you feel better I can see if I can't get one of those browser extensions that replaces comment sections with quotes from Socrates or something.]

[Who?]

[Old dead bearded guy, pretty smart, really liked the sound of his own voice, kind of a dick. Reminds me of somebody.]

[What have I told you about mocking me, Isaac? Now, let's discuss your failings. You nearly exhausted yourself against a few ordinary mortals. Since you insist on becoming a world-famous hero, I think you can see why this is unacceptable. Rather than flinging yourself at the nearest warm body and simply hitting them, you need to put your improved intellect to use.

Analyze your foes and you won't have to push yourself to the limit trying to overwhelm them; you'll know precisely where and how to hit them. Until I finish drilling your body into shape, your mind is your greatest asset. Speaking of which, don't think this little adventure excuses you from the gym.]

Isaac exhales through his nose slowly, exasperated, and taps at the communicator. "Bar? I vote a bar. I need a drink."

Going for Weakness Detection, it goes too perfectly with the gigantic Intelligence stat.

Charisma Gain 9+: 5, NOPE.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

With their first big crime handled, Newark's new local superhero team relaxes into a more normal cycle of stopping minor crimes by stupid kids who think they're the next big supervillain. They end up with a lot of time to themselves, able to work on developing their abilities, inventing gadgets, or improving the team's public image, among other things. The arrested criminals are arraigned quickly. It looks like Mickey Carozzo's lawyer is going to get him off on a technicality, but Ten-Ton Tony and Bada-Boom are gonna be doing at least a little time, though not nearly as much as most would agree they should. The rest of the Carozzo crew are charged similarly. Rico, however, is not so lucky. With a couple phone calls to relatives, Vincent confirms that Rico was up to his eyeballs in debt to the Carozzos, and this was his way of paying it off. But, the DA's up for reelection, and he's running on a tough-on-crime platform, and while he's unable to really stick it to the mob, a sucker like Rico is the perfect patsy to make an example of. He's been charged with every possible crime, and the maximum sentence has been recommended. While he's not looking at a life sentence, it's unlikely he'll see freedom again, unless he somehow lives to a hundred and fifty. The charges are, in part, for show, what the DA really wants seems to be for Rico to spill what he knows about the Carozzos, to aid an ongoing federal investigation. Of course, if he opens his fool mouth, he and his family are as good as dead. His trial's still a few months off, giving Vincent time to figure something out if he wants to save his idiot cousin, because the odds of Rico keeping quiet on his own are slim to none.

About a week after the incident at the bank, Slugger gets a call on his communicator from a researcher from CERN in Switzerland. According to his story, he's a CHESS reservist, and received some data on Obasi's powers, apparently CHESS was aware of Joe's curiosity about his own true nature. The researcher, a quantum physicist by the name of Maxwell Grant, explains that he'll be in New York soon, and if Slugger pays him a visit, he can borrow a lab at Columbia to run some tests. However, he's only available during the week, and the daytime at that. Slugger will need to make arrangements to keep the store running smoothly if he wants to take the trip, or else risk things falling into chaos in his absence.

(Alright, it's officially Downtime! Both The Suit and Slugger have active subplots they can participate in, in place of one of the normal choices for downtime. Slugger's subplot is titled Bis Vincit, Qui Se Vincit In Victoria.)

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!

Joe Obasi/Slugger

Slugger will go to the bar with the others, but will notably not drink. After their first successful outing, the baseball based superhero will devote himself to training, hoping to avoid a criminal getting the drop on him again. He focuses his training on hitting things, unsurprisingly. Trying to figure out the optimal geometry to hit multiple targets with a single swing, and how to get around enemy defenses to make sure his strikes landed true. He hadn't caused much collateral damage this time, but he had become acutely aware of how dangerous it would be if he did miss one of his Home Run swings.

He trains most of the day now, staying in the store more to rest than to work. He also starts training his mental powers, trying to summon platforms of plastic in mid-air to run across, with some success. When he gets the call, Slugger will answers and give an affirmative answer,

"Thank you, I will see you then."

He types a message to Isaac on his communicator,

pre:
SLUGGER:Akela, would you mind watching my store for the week? 
I have a... series of dr appointments, that I need to attend during the day.
Slugger watches the communicator until it beeps a message back.

pre:
AKELA:I can't watch your grocery store I'm too busy slamming 
random objects together so I can invent all the powers I don't have
Slugger stares at the communicator for a while. Then his eyes slowly drag themselves over to the couch that BRAD! had dragged into the basement storeroom. He walks over to the skeleton man and asks slowly, "Brad, could you mind the store for me this week? I have some doctor appointments I need to go to, and I won't be able to look after things."

I'll be saving the level up ability, going for the +to hit Expertise powerup.

Charisma (9): 2d20 21
+1 Charisma

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 15, 2017

Captain Rehab
Jul 8, 2005

BRAD! starts awake from the drunken doze he was in, knocking over the half-empty beer can that was resting on his ribcage.

"Uhghmfl", he says, shaking his head briskly.

"Uh... yeah.. I mean... yeah! Of course, dude!", he picks the can up from the ground and finishes what's left.

"Sweet. I mean, I used to run the ring toss and some other stuff at the fair, man. I know how to handle money and keep folks spending. I'm the guy for the job. I'll make sure I take my people pills, too, not scare any of the ru-, uh, customers away."

He gets a nostalgic look on his skull.

"Used to sell the tickets for the bearded lady in the freakshow, too. Had a bit of a thing with her." He raises his hands and laughs, "The beard was fake, of course. Though, come to think of it, she never did take it off when we, uh..."

He stops, then laughs again. It seems a little forced this time.

"So, yeah, cool. I'm your man. You can trust me, Slugs. You mind if the guys from the band come over and jam? Jeff got kicked out of his mom's house again."

He shakes his head sadly.

"Forty-three years old and still living with his mom. Dude's gotta figure his life out."

He crushes the empty can against his forehead, tosses it in the alarmingly large pile, and flops back on the couch.

"You're all stocked up on bourbon, right?"

If possible, while BRAD! looks after the store, he's going to spend the downtime trying to increase his profile through his band & also whatever AM radio conspiracy theory show host will have him on.

Captain Rehab fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

[I'm glad to see that this CHESS organization seems to appreciate our value. Perhaps the favor they have in mind won't be a complete waste of our time, either. Or would that be asking too much? Here's the final rune. Envision it closely and reproduce it exactly. Don't screw it up or we'll have to start over on this lens, AGAIN.]

Isaac pauses and squeezes his eyes shut, rubbing at them with his fingers. He'd been staring at these things so much over the past few weeks he was going cross-eyed. Apart from a little socializing with friends and some simple jewelery-making to keep up with the rent, this was all he'd been doing. At least he could have Netflix going in the background.

4 separate wafer-thin crystals for each lens, each one cut to precise specifications and etched around the perimeter with tiny, tiny runes using an Atlantean stylus. The crystals were cheap, but he'd had to go begging to CHESS for the priceless Atlantean artifact. Not a lot of these styluses left in the world. They'd loaned it to him on the condition that he'd owe them an unspecified "favor" that would be cashed in at some point in the next few months. Personally, he was kinda dreading it. Who knew what kind of insane suicide mission they'd throw him on?

But he was almost done now, and if these things worked anything like what Akela had in mind, they'd definitely come in handy. Looking through them would render the magical spectrum visible. That meant finding magical objects and locations would be a lot easier, and he'd be able to see people's auras against the dimmer magical fields of the background. Wouldn't do him any good against something that wasn't technically alive, that lacked any kind of soul or magical connection, or that knew a way to conceal its aura... but anybody else would stand out like a sore thumb. Maybe he'd whip up some smoke bombs to take advantage of that. But he'd do that next month or something, because as it stands he was completely sick of tinkering.

Done. He throws them on and winces slightly. Slight blue tint, and parts of his apartment were shining pretty bright through these things, especially the places he spent most of his time in.

[Yes, it's almost as though a powerful wizard lives here, bleeding magical potential and building artifacts.]

Isaac pushes the glasses up to his forehead and sighs in relief. Done, finally done. After a couple seconds, he feels a small pang of regret and grabs the communicator again.

pre:
Yo slugger sorry about that terse reply

I'd been awake for 36 hours at that point but I'm finally done tinkering

So if you still need somebody I can spend as much free time there as I can
Invention Roll vs 152: 82

Dachshundofdoom fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Apr 15, 2017

• Locked thread