Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Hollow Knight! It's an exploration and combat focused platformer made by tiny South Australian indie studio, Team Cherry. The art is wonderful, the score is evocative and well, I really loved playing it and thought it deserved more attention. So here we are!

It's about bugs! And exploring deep underground remnants of the long dead kingdom of said bugs.

There are mushrooms too!

This friendly moth watches you while you sleep!

All these things and more are in the very good game, Hollow Knight. On PC (steam and gog) now and coming at an unspecified time later this year to Switch and *podcast voice* PS4~??? (the dev team is like 3 people, give 'em time)

Oh! There's a trailer too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAO2urG23S4

Knorth fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
ground floor on this cute thread for a cute game

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I want to get this game for my wife simply because she loves the animation, but she's not usually into action platformer games, and I hear this one can be pretty challenging.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It does get pretty challenging, I thought they did a good job of keeping the more difficult fights optional but it is still very much an action game. There are enough upgrades around that you don't have to be great at the combat to finish it (I'm certainly not great at it myself) but there definitely might be some frustrating parts to work through

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I almost thought a thread for this didn't exist because it was 5 pages back. I'm surprised the thread isn't getting more attention, I absolutely love this game. Just the right level of challenging for me, tough but not too tough.

I think I'm starting to wrap up, with 2 of the 3 Dreamers dead, and the achievements for all stations and all maps. Nonetheless, a friend who just started messaged me that he got into an area he didn't think he was supposed to and killed a boss. He sent me a screenshot. I have about 20 hours in and I have no idea what boss that is. It's amazing how big this game is.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

I want to get this game for my wife simply because she loves the animation, but she's not usually into action platformer games, and I hear this one can be pretty challenging.

The crit path wasn't too bad, I feel, but there were several optional bosses/zones that thoroughly owned me. If your wife wants to get the ~*good ending*~, she'd probably have to work for it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

guppy posted:

I almost thought a thread for this didn't exist because it was 5 pages back. I'm surprised the thread isn't getting more attention, I absolutely love this game. Just the right level of challenging for me, tough but not too tough.

I think I'm starting to wrap up, with 2 of the 3 Dreamers dead, and the achievements for all stations and all maps. Nonetheless, a friend who just started messaged me that he got into an area he didn't think he was supposed to and killed a boss. He sent me a screenshot. I have about 20 hours in and I have no idea what boss that is. It's amazing how big this game is.
Yeah, the warrior graves were the bosses I missed initially or stumbling on the honey comb layer and then going into the White Palace thinking I was good at the game's movement and finding out I wasn't apparently. Such a great and expansive game, especially considering the price tag.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really love this game. There is so much to explore.
If you have any interest in metroidvania games, you should definitely get this!

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Beat the game this morning. I'd have liked to do the good ending, but I don't want to deal with the nightmare bosses. Can you get to 1800+ Essence without it?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I keep hearing about this game, is it PC only?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Lakbay posted:

Currently PC/Mac/Linux, a Switch version is announced but has no concrete release date. It sounds like the devs are exploring other console options but nothing's been announced.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

guppy posted:

Beat the game this morning. I'd have liked to do the good ending, but I don't want to deal with the nightmare bosses. Can you get to 1800+ Essence without it?

You can skip one of them and still meet the essence requirement. Possibly two, if you're very thorough otherwise? You definitely need to kill at least one.

Lakbay posted:

There's a Switch port coming out at some point, but for now it's PC only, yeah.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yeah, you only need to do one of the dream bosses to get up to 1800. I thought the knight would be the easiest but I've heard that certain charm loadouts can make the vessel a pretty simple fight, I think Defender's Crest of all things was meant to be useful for it

Knorth fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 14, 2017

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

guppy posted:

Honestly, if you cant deal with the nightmare bosses you are going to have one hell of a time with the alternate final boss. Its an entire different level of bullshit.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm only as far as just getting the cape that lets you dash, myself, but I adore the art and music. Definitely glad someone mentioned this in the chat/steam threads when I said I was looking for another metroid-like to play.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

Just got the true ending for this game and I loved every minute of playing it. The world is massive and a ton of fun to explore. I loved stumbling into entirely new areas even late into the game.

The art and music are also fantastic and I especially liked the designs for a lot of the NPCs and bosses.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

One Hundred Monkeys posted:

The crit path wasn't too bad, I feel, but there were several optional bosses/zones that thoroughly owned me. If your wife wants to get the ~*good ending*~, she'd probably have to work for it.

The good ending requires some poo poo that feels like it came from I Wanna Be The Guy. Nothing else in the game is anywhere near as difficult as that one part. I don't think I could have done it without the badge that sort of gives you unlimited health. Nothing else in the game is anywhere near as tough though, although some of the other optional stuff is still pretty challenging. Not sure about the crit path since I played it completionist style and I'm not sure what the crit path even is.

Great game though, I think it really pulled off the souls vibe without mimicking the art style or gameplay much.

Knorth posted:

Yeah, you only need to do one of the dream bosses to get up to 1800. I thought the knight would be the easiest but I've heard that certain charm loadouts can make the vessel a pretty simple fight, I think Defender's Crest of all things was meant to be useful for it

I actually found the knight to be the hardest of the three. That said I did the other two late enough that I could brute force them to some extent. And of course the ~*true*~ final boss is significantly harder than any of them anyway.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 20, 2017

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

It all comes out right in the end.
The only thing I don't like about this game is that it feels really stingy with the benches at times. I'm sure it's taking that inspiration from Dark Souls, but it seems really unnecessary in this game. The worst so far was the bench before the Mantis Lords that doesn't unlock until after you beat them and no longer need it.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Darth Nat posted:

The only thing I don't like about this game is that it feels really stingy with the benches at times. I'm sure it's taking that inspiration from Dark Souls, but it seems really unnecessary in this game. The worst so far was the bench before the Mantis Lords that doesn't unlock until after you beat them and no longer need it.

I'm not sure I agree. One of my favourite things about the game is the way it makes you feel genuinely lost at times, and I think having lots of savepoints in convenient locations would undermine that feeling. Having to remember the path back to the shade definitely contributed to the sense of pressure I felt when navigating an unfamiliar area without a map.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Alright, I'm totally lost right now. if someone could point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated:
I got the super dash from the mines and I went and cleared Herrah in the deepnest, though I did not fully explore the area yet. I feel like there is clearly some upgrade that extends your jump slightly and one that lets you survive the hot water, judging from obstacles i've seen, but I have yet to locate either and unless one of them is in one of the parts of the deepnest I have yet to explore, I'm stumped. Also, is there anything that can be done with the midwife aside from talking to it a few times before it starts repeating dialogue? What was with the weaver den building? I couldn't find anything to do there and I feel like I missed something, I doubt it exists just for the rancid egg I found.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

I am almost always lost in this game, so I've been looking at a map and just collecting stuff. Can I get both endings in one playthrough btw?

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Obligatum VII posted:

Alright, I'm totally lost right now. if someone could point me in the right direction, it'd be appreciated:
I got the super dash from the mines and I went and cleared Herrah in the deepnest, though I did not fully explore the area yet. I feel like there is clearly some upgrade that extends your jump slightly and one that lets you survive the hot water, judging from obstacles i've seen, but I have yet to locate either and unless one of them is in one of the parts of the deepnest I have yet to explore, I'm stumped. Also, is there anything that can be done with the midwife aside from talking to it a few times before it starts repeating dialogue? What was with the weaver den building? I couldn't find anything to do there and I feel like I missed something, I doubt it exists just for the rancid egg I found.

As far as I know the Midwife won't do anything except say a bunch of stuff and then eventually try to eat you. You can't kill her, either, she'll just go hide. Similarly, nothing to do in the Weaver's Den. Supposedly Hornet is being added as a playable character down the road, and the theory is that these places might be more relevant then.

There's definitely a double jump but I would expect you to have that already by the time you're in Deepnest. If not, it's in the Ancient Basin, I believe.

There is an upgrade that should be accessible to you now for surviving the acid water. It's in Isma's Grove, which you can access from Royal Waterways now that you have the dash -- remember that place in the descent to the Ancient Basin with the broken elevator, where there's a spiky path with doors on each side that you can't get to from the main shaft there? You can boost across it from the sides. It's also possible to time the dash cancel to fall back down the main shaft without dying, but it's tricky and there's not an easy re-entry -- just useful if you're in the wrong place and want to get there fast.

Sgt. Cosgrove posted:

I am almost always lost in this game, so I've been looking at a map and just collecting stuff. Can I get both endings in one playthrough btw?

Yes, you can just reload from the save point right before and go do whatever. No need for a replay.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

guppy posted:

As far as I know the Midwife won't do anything except say a bunch of stuff and then eventually try to eat you. You can't kill her, either, she'll just go hide. Similarly, nothing to do in the Weaver's Den. Supposedly Hornet is being added as a playable character down the road, and the theory is that these places might be more relevant then.

There's definitely a double jump but I would expect you to have that already by the time you're in Deepnest. If not, it's in the Ancient Basin, I believe.

There is an upgrade that should be accessible to you now for surviving the acid water. It's in Isma's Grove, which you can access from Royal Waterways now that you have the dash -- remember that place in the descent to the Ancient Basin with the broken elevator, where there's a spiky path with doors on each side that you can't get to from the main shaft there? You can boost across it from the sides. It's also possible to time the dash cancel to fall back down the main shaft without dying, but it's tricky and there's not an easy re-entry -- just useful if you're in the wrong place and want to get there fast.

Aha, I had not figured either of those locations as progress critical, got both upgrades. Thanks!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I'm nearing the endgame now, and I just want to say how much I love this game's music. Also that I wish I was better at fighting will wall grabbing The third arena fight is kicking my rear end at the part where it forces you to wall grab to avoid the ground spikes

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Isn't the music just wonderful! I absolutely adore it too, very tempted to buy the OST

That third trial is actually the devil, good luck with it! I've seen my brother and a nice youtube guy finish it but I don't think I've got it in me to actually do it myself. Those freaking 3-shot flying bugs...

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

I'm nearing the endgame now, and I just want to say how much I love this game's music. Also that I wish I was better at fighting will wall grabbing The third arena fight is kicking my rear end at the part where it forces you to wall grab to avoid the ground spikes

Charge Slash is extremely useful and will kill the small fliers in one hit if you've fully upgraded the nail. Do use Nailmaster's Glory if you aren't already.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I've now finished Hollow Knight, and one of the things I enjoyed most was its dedication to screwing the player over. Like getting robbed, or the pit trap that wasn't there before, or the save point that doesn't save you because NOTHING WILL SAVE YOU and there are probably a dozen other things.

Your typical Eternal Darknesses and Arkham Asylums and Undertales might be very clever-clever with their pretend shenanigans, but eventually they pull back the curtain and the player just congratulates the game for being a smart-rear end. Hollow Knight betrays the player for real, and they yell fuckword after fuckword at the screen, because the game isn't going to take it back. It's fantastic.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Charge Slash is extremely useful and will kill the small fliers in one hit if you've fully upgraded the nail. Do use Nailmaster's Glory if you aren't already.

Just found that actually, seems super useful. Can't say I expected to get it where I did though.

I'm at 92% completion now and it just astounds me that this thread is so small. I am completely enthralled by this game.

I just encountered something that I'm pretty sure has no reason to exist aside from being interesting/amusing:
Wyrm pulls bugs into its thrall,
ages pass and kingdoms fall,
caps and shells may go to dust,
but Mr. Mushroom readjusts.

I may have butchered that somewhat.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
This has got to be the biggest metroidvania map I've ever played. It's humongous and you can easily miss large areas with original assets and a lot of work put into them. It's like Dark Souls in that it's not afraid to let the player miss huge chunks of content. It's especially intimidating to walk across a breakable floor or a ledge you can't quite reach early on and wonder how the hell you'll ever remember to come back to it, especially since new areas don't have a map. The movement feels so good. It's everything I wished Ori had been. It felt like the White Palace was put in just to show off how great it is and they could have straight up made a Meat Boy instead of a Metroid with how precise it is.That goes for the combat, too. It's not perfect. It needed more stag stations for the backtracking and I feel like some of the bosses don't telegraph what they're about to do well enough, but this is easily one of my favorite games at the start of 2017, which is saying a lot. That said I can't see myself replaying it that often because, again, it's loving huge.

Edit: Actually forget the praise I'm on the true last boss. gently caress this game. Maybe worst game ever made.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 25, 2017

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

Just found that actually, seems super useful. Can't say I expected to get it where I did though.

I'm at 92% completion now and it just astounds me that this thread is so small. I am completely enthralled by this game.

I just encountered something that I'm pretty sure has no reason to exist aside from being interesting/amusing:
Wyrm pulls bugs into its thrall,
ages pass and kingdoms fall,
caps and shells may go to dust,
but Mr. Mushroom readjusts.

I may have butchered that somewhat.

Mr. Mushroom actually has a very big secret that leads to the special fourth ending

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Obligatum VII posted:

The location of the Nailsage's hideout is actually foreshadowed pretty cleverly. For one thing, Sly can immediately tell when you've learned a new Nail Art, just by looking at your stance.

Flubby posted:

Edit: Actually forget the praise I'm on the true last boss. gently caress this game. Maybe worst game ever made.

Don't give up, skeleton!

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Ok, I feel real dumb here, but where the heck does "a place of birth" refer to?

beat the white palace, got the king soul charm, but I have no idea where to go with the drat thing. I thought maybe that door in the abyss, the one with the blue stone on a dais? But it isn't doing anything for me and I'm out of ideas

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Try heading down from that door, to the ground floor, with the charm equipped

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Don't give up, skeleton!

I gave up but my skeleton persisted. Joni's + fragile strength got me through it.

Obligatum VII posted:

Ok, I feel real dumb here, but where the heck does "a place of birth" refer to?

beat the white palace, got the king soul charm, but I have no idea where to go with the drat thing. I thought maybe that door in the abyss, the one with the blue stone on a dais? But it isn't doing anything for me and I'm out of ideas

Ok, what you need to do is transform the Kingsoul. That blue thing you found is unrelated. You can open that door by having like, 15 of the blue life points by equipping certain charms and getting to it without getting hit. As for the Kingsoul, that is also in the Abyss. Deep in the abyss there what looks like a large cracked orb. You'll be able to see your reflection in it. You need to hit that with your dream nail. This cracked orb is way down at the bottem and to the right I believe. You'll know your in the right area if you're killing those black souls.

Flubby fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Apr 26, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Knorth posted:

Try heading down from that door, to the ground floor, with the charm equipped

Well, that certainly was something! Geez, is there anything else I need to do now? Cause the game didn't dispense any more hints...

Also, I'm missing 3 charms, the ones to the right of Baldur Shell, Lifeblood Heart, and Sharp Shadow respectively.

Flubby posted:

Ok, what you need to do is transform the Kingsoul. That blue thing you found is unrelated. You can open that door by having like, 15 of the blue life points by equipping certain charms and getting to it without getting hit. As for the Kingsoul, that is also in the Abyss. Deep in the abyss there what looks like a large cracked orb. You'll be able to see your reflection in it. You need to hit that with your dream nail. This cracked orb is way down at the bottem and to the right I believe. You'll know your in the right area if you're killing those black souls.

Thanks for the tip on the door, would I be correct in guessing one of my missing charms is behind that thing?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yep. Your other two missing charms are in a chamber just 'south' of the bench in the Waterways and in that big acidic lake in Greenpath :)

Knorth fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 26, 2017

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Finally found this thread! I finished at about 75%, but apparently that 25% is like an entire extra game's worth of content based what I've been reading in here. I need to go back and try to find some of these areas, I never did much with the Dream Nail, I think I have about 700 essence.

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I'm in the White Palace and I have to say that this is one of the most grueling and unfun areas I've encountered in a game. And it just goes on forever.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Aw I really liked that area. I mean, it was hard and took me awhile to get through but I enjoyed it. More than the arena at least

Are you using a good charm set for healing after taking spike damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Nat
Aug 24, 2007

I've been using the one that gives me the four additional blue pieces of health. I've read that I should be using one that regenerates health, but I'm unsure if I have it.

It's just so frustrating because I keep getting really far, but the spikes just whittle me down over time and I die and have to start over. Also, some of the respawns when you hit the spikes/saws are really frustrating, especially when it doesn't put you back on the last platform you were standing on and you have to do a really tough section perfectly from the very beginning.