Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Zetsubou-san posted:

nah, that's easy mode. I prefer to slice my space whale

http://i.imgur.com/VHZBUt9.gifv

I was happy enough grinding down the cheerful gremlin creatures, but the space whale one made me acutely uncomfortable. It's too real man, too real!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

redleader posted:

I was happy enough grinding down the cheerful gremlin creatures, but the space whale one made me acutely uncomfortable. It's too real man, too real!
I suggest you don't play the Dishonored DLC, Knife of Dunwall, then.

seravid posted:

Another prima donna modder. I'm shocked.
There actually is a cooldown implemented, but it's been so long since I wrote it that I can't remember how it works. Or if it works.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

GotLag posted:

There actually is a cooldown implemented, but it's been so long since I wrote it that I can't remember how it works. Or if it works.

Since I was curious, I looked at the code for it right quick. Apparently it's '120', so in ticks, that's what, 2 seconds?

e. And it seems to work by doing a check to see if time elapsed is less than the cooldown and if so then do nothing else play the sound?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
doublepost but gently caress it

Finally got SeaBlock science semi automated. Jesus christ, what a bunch of intermediate steps and this is just for red/green. I expect blue is gonna be .. interesting. My angels comment above was for a vanilla game start. Seablock is a bit easier to manage, oddly.

e. and my factory so far

and 1 hour production statistics

e2. My only real complaint so far is that i wish landfill was grass and not yellow dirt. There seems to be a way to make grass from mud eventually at least.

e3. How the gently caress do I get multi-phasic oil...

e4. looks like I skip oil entirely and just go straight for end products with wood > stuff synthesis. fun. 35 hours in, most of that idle time with at least 24 hours of it running while I sleep / do other stuff. Using peak load steam engines for power gen now. Tomorrow, I need to get solar production up and going so I can funnel more of my wood production to other stuff.

e5. look at this god tier inserter control. Jesus christ.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 14, 2017

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
here's my seablock start so far:

i was 1 landfill short :smith:

(i mis-clicked a few times so i might have gotten another 3-wide column on the right side)

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ambaire posted:

Since I was curious, I looked at the code for it right quick. Apparently it's '120', so in ticks, that's what, 2 seconds?

e. And it seems to work by doing a check to see if time elapsed is less than the cooldown and if so then do nothing else play the sound?

Oh right, it's a per-locomotive, per-sound cooldown of 2 seconds. I did try some sliding window X honks per Y seconds thing and couldn't remember if it was still using that.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Goddamn Bob's is engrossing. Just spent half an hour mathing out production ratios in Notepad++ so I could make the perfect production chain in a Factorissimo building. Turns out I'm still hamstrung by limited resource inputs and insufficiently fast belts. :bang:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Eschatos posted:

Goddamn Bob's is engrossing. Just spent half an hour mathing out production ratios in Notepad++ so I could make the perfect production chain in a Factorissimo building. Turns out I'm still hamstrung by limited resource inputs and insufficiently fast belts. :bang:

Are you admitting that you play Factorio yet still do the math manually? Have you learned nothing from the game?

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Just going to repurpose my Eve Online spreadsheets to work in Factorio :toot:

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Nth Doctor posted:

Are you admitting that you play Factorio yet still do the math manually? Have you learned nothing from the game?

I have a strict policy of not opening up Excel unless I'm being paid to do so.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Eschatos posted:

I have a strict policy of not opening up Excel unless I'm being paid to do so.

I just remember the simple ratios for some common stuff and otherwise just slam poo poo down and load it into a bus. If you get a shortage, slam more poo poo down until it's a surplus. If your factory is well laid out with a good bus then you just have to pay attention for when a bus gets low or reaches max capacity.

Having surplus capacity is generally fine as things only ever increase their draw as you add to your factory. Works for me as I don't generally have the patience to do a perfect ratio autism factory when I can just over build it a little and get the same result.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I just remember the simple ratios for some common stuff and otherwise just slam poo poo down and load it into a bus. If you get a shortage, slam more poo poo down until it's a surplus. If your factory is well laid out with a good bus then you just have to pay attention for when a bus gets low or reaches max capacity.

Having surplus capacity is generally fine as things only ever increase their draw as you add to your factory. Works for me as I don't generally have the patience to do a perfect ratio autism factory when I can just over build it a little and get the same result.

Exactly. I'm happy to look at someone's work of art super fine tuned creation but I have no desire to build one. Back of a fag packet guesstimate is good enough, slap it down and move on.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I pity you people who think about ratios. You don't need 2.3 dealies per hoobawhatsit. Just make a fuckton of dealies. Up you raw material input to feed your ever growing hunger for industry, gently caress the planet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Slime posted:

I pity you people who think about ratios. You don't need 2.3 dealies per hoobawhatsit. Just make a fuckton of dealies. Up you raw material input to feed your ever growing hunger for industry, gently caress the planet.

I like this line of thought.

The only correct answer is Factorio is "more."

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I like this line of thought.

The only correct answer is Factorio is "more."

Solving bottlenecks by creating more bottlenecks.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

https://www.factorio.com/blog/post/fff-186

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

El Jebus posted:

Solving bottlenecks by creating more bottlenecks.

That's called replayability. My friend started up a space engineers server, so three of us played. One dropped out after having his planetary launch ship destroyed in a crash, but he basically completed the game. I made it to space and then built a big mobile base and dropped out after my shop was destroyed by MP physics bugs. I had no problems left to solve other than "my ship broke".

With factorio you can always just do more. Faster rocket launches? That will ripple out and cause hours and hours to be spent on upping the assemblers and then upping the processing and then upping the raw materials.

The two of us that dropped from space engineers are waiting for 0.15 and then we're starting up factorio again.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Factorio is fantastic for replayability, but don't forget to look at the flip side of the coin: it's super easy to get burnt out. Sure, aiming for that faster rocket launches might be fun the first two hours, but eight hours into your complete overhaul can leave you feeling dead inside.

I really gotta start using blueprints more. I get burnt out cause I end up building the same poo poo over and over again, but if I had a blueprint it'd be more fun cause I'd get stuff done a lot quicker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?MangledPork this guy uses blueprints amazingly well. Everything in his base is modulated so he can just slap down extra pieces easily.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would rather burn out than play a game and have nothing to do.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mr. Powers posted:

I would rather burn out than play a game and have nothing to do.

This is why you should use Angel's petrochem, so you can burn out while having lots to do!

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Angels is seriously miserable

The Saddest Robot
Apr 17, 2007
I watched a youtube series that used Bobs mods and Angel's petrochem. Every time he touched, looked at or even thought about Angel's the series ground to a halt.

Maybe Factorio could benefit from a larger oil/chemical game segment but Angel's is way too much.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I don't really have trouble with angels petrochem, the recepie chains aren't bad. The falsify is thinking their linear like most vanilla factorio or bobs. You need to set it up so that byproducts of primary chains get priority use in secondary chains for other chemicals. Or else you just end up with flarestacks and clairifying pools everywhere wasting resources.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Of course the Factorio devs have automatic testing. Of course. :allears:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

The Saddest Robot posted:

Maybe Factorio could benefit from a larger oil/chemical game segment but Angel's is way too much.

Ugh, as it is it's my least favorite part of the game.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
Are there any mods that add interesting and balanced ways of power production? I'm tired of nothing but steam and solar. I know .15 is adding nuclear, but I wanted to mess around with something in the meantime.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You could try GotLag's nuclear mod?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I have beautiful setups of hundreds of GotLags reactors :getin:

Selfquotin

M_Gargantua posted:

I figured I'd share my current reactor setup. Currently sitting at 220 Turbines.

13 reactors per side per stack. Green wire kicks the whole shebang south to the monitoring/control station. Next to each large pole is a decider that is assigned "Letter" > 0 => Output reactor shutdown signal into each individual core's network.

The red wire network handles each local reactor. The input pumps are set to water <300 and water <360. This naturally gives priority to water leaving the cooling tower, which i've included a tank buffer for since rev 1 wanted to sputter a little bit. One output pump is set to run when temp > 98. The other pump is temp >95 OR 'shutdown/overheat logic'. shutdown/overheat is true if reactor temp is >180 (Latched until <155) OR reactor overheated OR reactor shutting down, and that causes the upper output pump to push water through the turbine and kicks on the cooling tower pump.

I've found that one cooling tower easily handles two reactors, and would normally even be fine for 4 if my factory wasn't experiencing 500MW power swings every few minutes.

Next project is improving what I call the dispatch logic. Right now I just have it set to constant combinators and when I don't need as much power I input some letters A-Z to shutdown the corresponding reactor. I'm trying to think of a good way for it to decide to spool up or shutdown reactors if average power sits in a certain band for long enough. I could brute force it but that isn't elegant.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Antti posted:

It's actually super rare in the video game industry it seems (along with other basic practices of software quality).

If I had to guess why, it's because the video game industry is full of amateurs who haven't yet realized they can make twice as much under better working conditions if they go to a real company.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

Loopoo posted:

Factorio is fantastic for replayability, but don't forget to look at the flip side of the coin: it's super easy to get burnt out. Sure, aiming for that faster rocket launches might be fun the first two hours, but eight hours into your complete overhaul can leave you feeling dead inside.

I really gotta start using blueprints more. I get burnt out cause I end up building the same poo poo over and over again, but if I had a blueprint it'd be more fun cause I'd get stuff done a lot quicker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?MangledPork this guy uses blueprints amazingly well. Everything in his base is modulated so he can just slap down extra pieces easily.

Blueprints are the One True Way to play factorio. My sole purpose in life when starting a new factory is to beeline for constructor bots and blueprints so that I never have to build any repeatable stuff manually again. Slap it down, add it to the book, go back when I need it. Miners, stations, furnaces, I have little blueprints for roboports with a big power pole and a light, turrets with a requester chest in case I need spot defense, the little things end up saving a lot of time. I keep at least one blank blueprint in case I need to copy something weird for a one off thing.

ShadowHawk posted:

It's actually super rare in the video game industry it seems (along with other basic practices of software quality).

If I had to guess why, it's because the video game industry is full of amateurs who haven't yet realized they can make twice as much under better working conditions if they go to a real company.

The Factorio devs are the most professional team I have ever seen, bar none. It's an amazing change of pace from the usual amateur coder indie game clusterfuck.

Gadzuko fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 14, 2017

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Antti posted:

yeah they joked about that when they were first setting it up.

factorio 2 will be a procedurally generated game from the ground up, testing and marketing included :v:

Qubee
May 31, 2013

ShadowHawk posted:

IIRC they were getting super tired and frustrated having to manually test every time they released a patch. They dedicated weeks of their time and effort into making the automatic tester because it allowed them to run it before a patch and have any goofy bugs totally unrelated to what they were working on show up. It was really smart of them, and pretty much allowed them to release patches without any major gamebreaking bugs.

I loving love them and I really can't wait to see what they make in the future. Definitely won a lifelong fan from me. Their weekly Friday facts were what finally suckered me into loving them. Not gonna forget how happy I was when they finally released on Steam, I was checking their page hourly / daily to see all the positive reviews flood in. Felt amazing.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 14, 2017

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Gadzuko posted:

The Factorio devs are the most professional team I have ever seen, bar none. It's an amazing change of pace from the usual amateur coder indie game clusterfuck.

There's a few other dev teams as professional/quality, Zachtronics comes to mind. However you rarely get a team this professional AND transparent which leads to cool details.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

The only dev team I know that comes even close to Factorio in the game realm is Psyonix (rocket league). They're awesome.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Are there any newbie guides for this game that give a general idea of the major progression milestones? I've played for a few hours and so far I have a factory putting out red and green beakers and a bunch of steel, I surrounded it with walls, and now I have a car. I also just got oil processing and presumably should do something with that, but I have no idea where I should be going from here. Blue beakers? Robots? Something else?

I feel like there are a shitton of "newbie guides" out there but they all basically show you how to get to the point I just reached and no further. I don't need a step-by-step guide for how to win, but it'd be nice to have an intermediate goal to work towards that isn't "make the rocket".

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Immediate short term goals are red, green, and blue science. Beyond that, you need just enough military goods production to feel comfortable fighting the biter menace followed by rocket prereqs and anything that makes making science or rocket prereqs easier.

Its not a super complex long term outlook because the devil is in the details.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Are there any newbie guides for this game that give a general idea of the major progression milestones? I've played for a few hours and so far I have a factory putting out red and green beakers and a bunch of steel, I surrounded it with walls, and now I have a car. I also just got oil processing and presumably should do something with that, but I have no idea where I should be going from here. Blue beakers? Robots? Something else?

I feel like there are a shitton of "newbie guides" out there but they all basically show you how to get to the point I just reached and no further. I don't need a step-by-step guide for how to win, but it'd be nice to have an intermediate goal to work towards that isn't "make the rocket".

That's because you just reached the point where the game explodes with complexity. Oil processing means learning how do deal with liquids, and blue beakers have a dauntingly complex recipe compared to anything you've produced so far.

I recommend you start setting up your oil production, build a ton of storage tanks for petroleum, light oil, and heavy oil. The main purpose of oil right now is for turning into petroleum. If your oil processing starts getting stalled by your light/heavy storage being full, turn that stuff into solid fuel and just store it en masse somewhere, it'll be useful later. (Or you can feed it into your boilers instead of coal.) You then want to figure out how to start producing blue beakers and aim for the advanced oil processing tech, which gives you a better petroleum ratio and lets you turn the other byproducts into petroleum as needed, and basically makes your whole oil processing situation much more efficient.

I think most people agree that shooting for advanced oil processing is the top priority for the point you're at right now, so make that your goal

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

* automate red+green science
* automate blue science
* add bots
* automate l1 module production

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Loopoo posted:

IIRC they were getting super tired and frustrated having to manually test every time they released a patch. They dedicated weeks of their time and effort into making the automatic tester because it allowed them to run it before a patch and have any goofy bugs totally unrelated to what they were working on show up. It was really smart of them, and pretty much allowed them to release patches without any major gamebreaking bugs.
It's not just that, it's that the sooner you catch an error the easier and cheaper it is to fix. With an automated system like this a developer can know that the code he was just working on broke something, rather than finding out that whatever he did a month ago (and built 10 things on top of) might be at fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

super fart shooter posted:

That's because you just reached the point where the game explodes with complexity. Oil processing means learning how do deal with liquids, and blue beakers have a dauntingly complex recipe compared to anything you've produced so far.
Not coincidentally, this is the exact part they're targeting changing in the patch with the science rework. It'll be more clear what to do next in 0.15, and why you'd want to :)

Plus there'll be tutorials built into the game for new mechanics as you unlock them (eg how trains or liquids work)