Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

I also reclassed Maria to a Sage, because the only real advantage Bishops have is their sweet pope hat.

Fixed and also how could you, you monster?

MythosDragon posted:

And the more I look at Fire Emblem the more I think "This game was made for LPing".

Ehhh, the gameplay is a lot of the fun in srpgs. I'd say traditional rpgs are the best for the format, especially ones with kind of meh gameplay - then the reader isn't really losing anything by not playing it. (As for the ease of LPing it, srpgs are ~about the same amount of time and effort as regular jrpgs.)

vilkacis fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Camel Pimp posted:

Uh, completely unrelated, but did you know that as far as I can tell, no one has really successfully been able to hack the portraits in Shadow Dragon (not particularly well anyway) I can, however, do this

So that's fun. (the talking/blinking does not animate correctly, mind you.)

The ideal Shadow Dragon is probably the one where everyone is Bantu for some reason, so I wholly approve. (Seriously this is impressive.)

Miacis posted:

Just a heads-up, you used FE12 Marth's portrait for FE11 dialogue

Whoops, thanks for catching that, that's what I get for having almost the exact same file name for both.

Tae posted:

Most of the lp is prep work, which is much easier with most games because of stuff like one face portrait and at max like 100 support conversations on blazing sword or path of radiance.

This is true. Juggling multiple portraits looks like a huge pain in the rear end, though I understand there's a good bit of software someone made to help manage that in the Tech Support Fort. I'd probably recommend going for a shorter game for your first LP though, because about halfway through you can start hitting some serious burnout if you aren't really into it. Chapters, like, 14-20 of FE12 were the worst with that for me.

MonstrousMouse posted:

Does it debuff your Res, or is this a typo?

This is poor wording on my part, I meant "targets resistance", like Hunt mentioned. That's my fault for writing this one while multitasking.

vilkacis posted:

Fixed and also how could you, you monster?

If it was in her portrait I'd keep her as a Bishop. :colbert:

LordHippoman fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 25, 2017

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

SRPGs, Fire Emblem especially have very blatant stopping points that match with LP parts. Commentary looks alot easier with all the info on the screen at once rather than hidden and in 20 different menus. Serenes exists and gives you access to the vast majority of all the game's scripts, and can help with mechanics chat such as True Hit :argh:, gently caress true hit. So it really does look like the most LP friendly game to me. I'm definitely not belittling your work if it's coming across like that at all.

LordHippoman posted:

I'd probably recommend going for a shorter game for your first LP though, because about halfway through you can start hitting some serious burnout if you aren't really into it. Chapters, like, 14-20 of FE12 were the worst with that for me.

....They make shorter RPGs than Fire Emblem? Pretty sure all the 2D Fire emblems gave me in the 20-30 hour range. Like there's Mimana Iyar Chronicle, but that game is almost universally reviled among the 5 people that played it, including myself, and maybe the very first RPGs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Playing Fire Emblem itself doesn't take long. Putting up all the different routes and support conversations is the other stuff. Take Blazing Sword for example. You are posting minimum Lyn/Eliwood/Hector mode with all the gaiden chapters and support conversations, not touching any hard mode exclusives. Even Sacred Stones, the shortest fire emblem in the last couple decades, still have two different routes and two huge dungeon areas.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Tae posted:

Playing Fire Emblem itself doesn't take long. Putting up all the different routes and support conversations is the other stuff. Take Blazing Sword for example. You are posting minimum Lyn/Eliwood/Hector mode with all the gaiden chapters and support conversations, not touching any hard mode exclusives. Even Sacred Stones, the shortest fire emblem in the last couple decades, still have two different routes and two huge dungeon areas.

You can just make a gimmick (for example using an all female team for even numbered maps, and an all male team for odd numbered maps) and not play the gaidens, that's the choice of the LPer.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
When I said "shorter games" I meant more "not an RPG" because they tend to be full of a lot of information you have to give out and explain. Fire Emblem is a shorter RPG than most, yeah, and it does have the added benefit of displaying pretty much all the information that's crucial to know right on the screen, but RPGs can be a little difficult to LP because of their length and size, not to mention there's usually a lot of text you have to transcribe, though Serenes is a fantastic resource for that when it comes to Fire Emblem. For a lot of games, though, you're working without a script and have to either write that poo poo down or screencap it and cut out most of it to retranscribe, unless you want a ton of talking headshots.

So if you're set on an RPG, Fire Emblem is probably one of the best choices, but from my (limited) experience, the one game I did a screenshot LP of that wasn't an RPG was quite a bit easier. The only way to really tell if you'll enjoy doing it is to just make a few test updates, get help from Sandcastle/TSF, and then think "Will I be able to keep this up for the whole thing?".

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I uh, Only play RPGs. Its hard to play other genres when youre a story gamer tbh. Anyway thanks for the advice and sorry for the derail. It got us to a new page though so thats nice.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

LordHippoman posted:

If it was in her portrait I'd keep her as a Bishop. :colbert:

goddammit if only this were gba :arghfist::saddowns:

MythosDragon posted:

....They make shorter RPGs than Fire Emblem? Pretty sure all the 2D Fire emblems gave me in the 20-30 hour range.

You can probably get through most games from the snes era and earlier in less than 30 hours, and it's not as if everything after that is huge either. The first Suikoden's like 15 hours, 2 and 4 are 25ish.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Again thanks for the advice, all three of you. But uh, I feel kind of bad about keeping this derail going, and I keep trying to reply so its just going to spiral out of control or something. So uh, Do you think anyone at IS just gets drunk as hell and decides to tank a unit's growth occasionally?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

LordHippoman posted:

The ideal Shadow Dragon is probably the one where everyone is Bantu for some reason, so I wholly approve.

Well not quite Bantu but close enough

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

:vince:

Camel Pimp this is nuts. This is nuts in all of the best ways. Thank you for crafting art in this thread. Added to the OP.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fire Wryslem.

vilkacis
Feb 16, 2011

It's the most beautiful Shadow Dragon has ever been :allears:

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

AweStriker posted:

I wonder where scythes are on the weapon triangle, if not above it.

A bit late, but I have the answer for this!

Scythes are strong against Swords, Lances, and Axes; and they are neutral against Bows, Rods, Lumps, other Scythes, and Books. They are not weak to anything.

Yggdra Union's version of the weapon triangle is like Pokemon's version of element weaknesses.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

Chapter 17: Marth Meets Morzas, The Matricidal Manakete (Battle)

Been quite a while since we fought inside a castle. By “a while” I mean five chapters, but that’s substantial in Fire Emblem time!

I think this is the only time in the series that the name of Marth’s mother is mentioned. She’s already dead and she never even got a line of dialogue. Poor Liza.

: So what will become of you, little prince? Will you run for your life a second time? Or will you stay this time to die? Emperor Medeus would not put me on this throne if he thought you could remove me from it, kee hee hee…

Time to open up by causing a ruckus with those thieves. The smart move would be to Warp Wolf into the doorway and let him tank everything with a Javelin, but blocking the map exit with Abel also gives me the chance to down this Manakete. I swapped to having the Dragonpike equipped for that reason.

These manaketes are really no joke, so Wolf is going to take up the duty of pulling the other one. I’m going to clear out the whole west side of the map before taking on the throne room. It’s the slower way of doing this, but it’s safer and less confusing in an LP format.

That is extremely worth trying to steal back!

That is...less so, but I’ll take it.

Yikes, That’s a sizable hit.

Wolf fares even worse, getting doubled here. This is a rare physical enemy who is actually a threat to our acclaimed wall.

Thankfully, even with the Fortify bishop topping him off, Top Left Manakete is still within kill range for the Dragonpike.

Huh. That’s...not very useful.

Abel does need some healing, though, because evidently the Manakete’s friends have decided to avenge his death.

The other one wasn’t so lucky.

Hopefully Ogma’s going to start getting good levels again soon. This is a decent start.

Wolf’s a little banged up, but with all foes in range being physical damage, he doesn’t have much to worry about here, and I can start chipping away at the Sniper in the treasure hallway.

This hallway up top is congested enough that Abel can start spreading out the damage he takes, and even forces the Javelin Knight into melee range. Choke points are pretty cool.

The Hero also comes for Marth, but he misses. The real threat here is that Sniper, although he’s preoccupied with shooting arrows through a wall at another wall, but the second wall is named Wolf and he has a Javelin.

Since Caeda’s not doing much of anything at this point, she noticed that there’s a bit of unfortunate architecture in Castle Altea here. It almost looks like, if there were a lone mage with a death wish, he could shoot through here at a high-res unit and get a Javelin for his troubles. She investigates, because she’s nice like that.

Abel’s just going to start kiting his enemies now. This spot puts him in range to counter both Knights with a Javelin, but he’s just out of range of the Mage who would clip him for quite a bit of damage.

In retrospect, a Vulnerary would have been good here, but I guess I can’t win ‘em all.

Marth, however, totally wins ‘em all, mostly by standing menacingly in this doorway. Thankfully, it’s enough to block off the incoming thieves.

I feel like I’ve gone a whole update without saying Catria’s good, so here’s another reminder that Catria is good.

The knight did a suicide charge into Abel’s Javelin.

So far things are going pretty smoothly!

Oh no. It seems this enemy mage has made a poor choice, entirely of his own volition. Whoops!

Marth takes a little damage from the Sniper, but he can hold his own here just fine for a little while.

Time for Abel to beat a retreat here. That mage is looking awful scary.

I want to clear out this chokepoint of enemies ASAP, so the Linde Bomb gets deployed on the bulkiest of them, the Sniper. Killer Bows are terrifying.

Other things that are terrifying include: Catria. Good Level Ups in Shadow Dragon. Trying to make this update interesting.

Not bad. You know how many doors there are in this game?

You know how many doors there are in this game that you can just warp right past?

I couldn’t deal with all the enemies this turn, but Caesar here should stop Linde from getting a sword through the gut.

I considered getting rid of Fortify Bishop ASAP, as Caeda could do it here, but with the Sniper available to take his place, I don’t want to put her in range.

To my surprise, the Thief here actually equipped the Devil Sword he stole. I didn’t know enemies did that in this game.

It didn’t help him, but it was cool!

Now, you might think I forgot to move Abel here, and it’s total luck that this wasn’t a restart. You would be completely correct.

Oh yeah, this guy survived Abel, didn’t he? Well, I had backup.

I’m not an expert, Marth, but I don’t think that’s how you hold that. He got the kill, so I’ll take it, but I’m just saying.

Be careful entering the Treasure Room, by the way. This second Mage is nasty.

Thankfully, Marth is nastier.

That didn’t come out right.

Now then, with all the treasure ours for the taking, I can start focusing on the actual objective. Definitely need to remove this Fortify guy.

Hmm.

Hmmmmmmmm.

Thanks to Maria’s healing, Bars is able to hold that point just fine, eating hits from the second Bishop and the Sniper.

And he is justly rewarded. The level up is fine, but I’m really into the Fortify staff. That’s incredibly handy.

Everybody else is going to start marching on the throne now. No use dawdling around the treasure.

Marth’s got that covered. The Secret Book is a permanent +2 to Skill for the user.

Barst didn’t quite finish this guy off, so Maria gets her first offensive action of the game. Yes, I did use the top left save point before this, because that guy can double her!

Thankfully I didn’t end up needing it. Maria gets the same stats as usual.

Before I start the attack on Morzas, Marth has to rob his own house.

Not bad at all!

I chose Barst with a door key to open this up, because he can survive even if all the possible enemies hit him. Julian could not.

And here we go.

The Swarm Bishop hits Wolf, which is mostly just a waste of his turn. A knight showed up to Javelin Barst as well.

Caesar wasn’t a fan of this action.

I think he might be starting to outdo Ogma.

The second Knight goes down easy with a rush attack from Caeda. For some reason the Stairs leading to the throne count as special terrain, but they have no advantages.

Ten Movement counters Swarm Bishops pretty handily!

Every turn after you enter the throne room proper (through the doorway), a Knight and Cavalier will spawn out of that eastern entrance.

The Knight has a Javelin and the Cav has a Steel Lance. They aren’t very threatening, because this guy is Level 6 in Chapter 17.

They’ll repeat for up to ten turns, or until you kill Morzas.

Yikes. Little close. I didn’t mean to leave Linde there, but that does give me an idea.

:getin:

Abel and Caeda are going to be intercepting the Cavaliers. Mostly Caeda, Abel’s there for moral support.

Barst can now use every axe in the game. Minerva’s Hauteclere is about to find a new owner.

Our stalwart, blue haired protagonist is going to take on the Dragon. Morzas has some seriously high Resistance with his Magestone, so simply chipping him down with Cord or Linde would take quite a while, as well as waste uses on my good tomes.

He crit him immediately :v:

I’ll, uh, I’ll show off Morzas’ model on the Normal run.

I can’t think of a better way to hit 20.

I know a few people who could use this.

C’mon, Caeda. Be more like Barst.

Well, with Morzas dead and the reinforcements gone, I think we’re done.

Or...not. It’s time for the dumbest secret in the game. Something that I assume had to be discovered out of sheer luck and boredom. You’ll need that VIP Card the Bishop had. I don’t know why it shows up so late in this game. The Silver Card is also a fantastic idea.

Maria needs to level up. This is not necessary for the secret, but I like it when my units level up.

On this exact square, four north of the Throne, move a unit with the VIP Card.

Welcome to Anna’s Secret Shop.

These are dotted across several maps in the game, always a pain in the rear end to find, but loaded with good stuff. Look at all those specialty weapons!

Look at even more of them! Including the Longbow, a weapon that the player can otherwise never get in this game. I bought one of each, and three Longbows because I was excited.

The locations of these shops are never really hinted at more than “this terrain looks kinda weird”, so I’d advice using the trusty “internet” to find them. Or this LP, if that’s your thing.

We’re done now. :toot:

: …My sister was taken by Gharnef. She is no longer here… And my…my mother is… She is dead. Slain…by that Dolhrian dragon…

: …! Marth, I am truly sorry…

: I thought there would be something…some part of my old life I would be coming back to. I fought so hard…

: You fought wonderfully, Marth.

: Sire, might I have a moment?

: All the moments you want, Malledus. What is it?

: Your people have gathered outside the castle. They are overjoyed to be free again, sire, and would like very much to see their prince.

: Alright, then. I’ll go at once.

: Marth...perhaps you should let that wait, just until you are able to share their joy with them. We could send someone in your stead-

: People of Altea! Today I woke up and my bed was lopsided. It turns out I left a whole pile of lances under there. Now you see, I like Iron Lances. Steel Lances are okay, but those Iron Lances are a treat. Silver Lances are for kids who don’t understand a good Iron Lance. 20 Uses? I used 20 Uses going to the post office in my day!

: You know that I was there, right?

: No, that would not do. Today is a momentous day for my kingdom and my people. I must celebrate with them now, not later. Anything else would be a disservice to those who died to save Altea. I am a prince before I am a son or a brother. Come, Malledus. Let us go greet my people.

: Its people, ragged from years of Dolhrian tyranny, scrambled to the castle and flocked beneath its walls, eager to celebrate what, for many, would be remembered as the happiest days of their lives. They clapped each other on the back, laughed; and when Marth, their prince, appeared up above, they saluted their hero with a thunderous cheer:

“Glory to Marth, our prince of light! Glory to our star and savior!

Marth smiled down at his people and waved. The great commander’s last victory of the day was commanding his tears not to flow.

: Next I have to tell you about the Wizard.

: But, the liberation of Altea seems important!

: He had a monocle.

: continue

Next time, not this chapter. We’ve got Normal Mode catchup to do.

Bonus Content

Abel, But In His Heroes Art Because The Cipher One Was Acting Weird For Me

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Thanks to Maria’s healing, Bars is able to hold that point just fine, eating hits from the second Bishop and the Sniper.

How dare you.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

How dare you.

Bars, maser of space and ime.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

BlazeEmblem posted:

A bit late, but I have the answer for this!

Scythes are strong against Swords, Lances, and Axes; and they are neutral against Bows, Rods, Lumps, other Scythes, and Books. They are not weak to anything.

That's what I meant by "above it". I just didn't remember the rest of all that.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Skipping ahead in this Lp well way back but it's almost time for sleep anyway got a question for the thread. It seems every LP of a fire emblem game has great, okay and bad characters in them. I was wondering how feasible would a LP be where only the very worst characters are used all the time for each map and how fun would it be to play or watch?

Sorry if this breaks up anything being talked about right now just wanted to ask before I forgot.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

For the most of them itd be completely feasable, outside of it being imposible to actually tell whos that bad. Im pretty sure Meg is considered the worst unit in 10, bit I somehow had one who could do well in the final chapter. So its basically all luck, I guess you could specifically use whoever has the lowest stats all times but that sounds unfun.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

koolkevz666 posted:

Skipping ahead in this Lp well way back but it's almost time for sleep anyway got a question for the thread. It seems every LP of a fire emblem game has great, okay and bad characters in them. I was wondering how feasible would a LP be where only the very worst characters are used all the time for each map and how fun would it be to play or watch?

Sorry if this breaks up anything being talked about right now just wanted to ask before I forgot.

0% growth rate runs (just what it sounds like, a hack where units never gain a stat aside from their promotion gains) have been done of most FE games up until Shadow Dragon on the highest difficulties, I believe, so anything's possible. Most Fire Emblems don't have garbage fires for prepremotes, so it'd just be an interesting change of pace seeing normally unremarkable units most people would bench.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

How dare you.

I just got him confused with this guy.

It's okay, it's a preview for my next LP where I play every Fire Emblem chapter, but entirely out of order.

koolkevz666 posted:

Almost certainly possible, but not really my thing. There are some people who are really drat good at Fire Emblem (Melth's FE7 LP is crazy good) and could probably pull it off.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Last Celebration posted:

0% growth rate runs (just what it sounds like, a hack where units never gain a stat aside from their promotion gains) have been done of most FE games up until Shadow Dragon on the highest difficulties, I believe, so anything's possible. Most Fire Emblems don't have garbage fires for prepremotes, so it'd just be an interesting change of pace seeing normally unremarkable units most people would bench.

Was somebody crazy enough to do this in Thracia 776? :aaa:

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Arnt you essentially forced to atleast partially in 5? Fatigue means you cant just have a team of aspiring demigods, you have to use other nerds too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Was somebody crazy enough to do this in Thracia 776? :aaa:

I'm not terribly familiar with 776, but even without Ced who just clowns everything forever, you still have Asvel, his knockoff Excalibur and his busted Sage promotion gains, along with dudes with the FE5 version of Wrath that always crits (and those crits potentially do way more damage than 6-14's) as long as the enemy initiates combat. So yeah, seems feasible, compared to New Mystery Hard where the prepremotes are as garbage as Shadow Dragon

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I mean, Fedule stoned a soldier and grinded Fiona to make her not literally the worst unit in context of the franchise.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Fiona is great, Me and all my FE friends swear by her, I have no clue what Fedule was on in that LP.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She comes at around the same level as Nolan with way worse bases.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

She has a horsy. One of the few horsies I get to use too.
She has great growths.
The absolute least damning thing in any FE is being low level, especially in a bonus exp game.

I'm pretty sure being tanned gives you immense amounts of power in the FE universe too.

kvx687
Dec 29, 2009

Soiled Meat
She has a horsy that gives her massive stat penalties in the two maps of the first section that she's actually playable in and then doesn't show up again until characters are around a full tier ahead of her, and bonus EXP doesn't help as much as you'd think since it's hardcoded to give exactly three stat-ups per level.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

MythosDragon posted:

She has a horsy. One of the few horsies I get to use too.
She has great growths.
The absolute least damning thing in any FE is being low level, especially in a bonus exp game.

I'm pretty sure being tanned gives you immense amounts of power in the FE universe too.

Fiona has poor bases and is part of the Dawn Brigade, who receive far less experience than the rest of the cast, making leveling her impractical when you have Edward, Leonardo, Aran, and Nolan ready to wreck everything as-is. If you're willing to spend the entirety of Part 1 babying her, you'll end up with a unit who'll still probably be overshadowed by every other mounted unit in the game due to her being five to ten levels lower in Part 4. And there's no need for her when Edward, Leonardo, Nolan, and Aran are enough to carry you through every Dawn Brigade chapter on their own. This is basically the same problem Meg has. Her growths are actually quite good, but she shows up underleveled with iffy bases, and simply isn't worth the effort to raise, since the characters you don't have to babysit are sufficient to handle anything the Dawn Brigade deals with, and by Part 4, you've got better people available. It doesn't help that so many chapters in Part 1 (including the only ones Fiona is usable in, as noted above) impose movement penalties on mounted/armored units, making it that much harder for them to keep up in level if you don't deliberately feed them kills.

Also, a low starting level is, in fact, a weakness in Radiant Dawn, because characters that appear later have good bases at higher starting levels, so the lower starting levels just mean more opportunities to get screwed by the RNG, especially for the Dawn Brigade, who are less able to abuse BEXP due to having much less of it on one hand, and being less likely to cap stats early on the other (a requirement for BEXP abuse in RD). And that's before getting into Data Transfer.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
Having grinded up both to acceptable levels at one play through or another, Fiona is way worse than Meg. Fiona has a better late game, but the path there is very painful. It doesn't help that cavaliers aren't as good in RD as they are in previous games and there a lot of options for units who are godly at the endgame.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

How do you guys play Standard FE(6-12)?

I choose units to use and never ever give anyone else a drop of EXP. Example: Miciah solo's the first few chapters, everyone else meat shields without weapons as appropriate cuz tissue. I also keep levels about even at all times. So I've never experienced what youre talking about.

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 15, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

MythosDragon posted:

I choose units to use and never ever give anyone else a drop of EXP. Example: Miciah solo's the first few chapters, everyone else meat shields without weapons as appropriate cuz tissue. I also keep levels about even at all times. So I've never experienced what youre talking about.

I identify the characters that are good (as a function not only of growth rates, but of bases, starting levels, ease of leveling, being Stefan, and availability), then use them in much the same manner you describe. Of course, since the entire Dawn Brigade is outclassed by their various counterparts in Part 4, perfectly optimizing their experience distribution is pointless long-term (the good Dawn Brigade characters get all the experience they need without manipulating the map), so all it really boils down to for them is casting aside anyone I can't immediately use to mow down scores of foes in my quest to get to the good parts of the game. And that mainly means Fiona and Meg get benched forever. If I only used the Dawn Brigade characters that were going to show up in the final chapter, it would just be Micaiah and Sothe getting all the kills which is coincidentally my shorthand for "worst possible Fire Emblem experience".

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

MythosDragon posted:

Usually I use units as needed. So in, say, FE6, Rutger is never leaving the party because the ability to always hit and always double is actually really helpful, and I'll use Lot for a while until Gonzales shows up for all the soldiers and lance cavs, because they'll be about even in their bases and I know Gonzales is gonna be better. I usually don't bother raising up units that are lower leveled versions of preexisting ones, like Ogier because Deke is a monster.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I wanted to note that the next update is probably going to take me some time, since it's another "replay all this on Normal" one. There's also probably going to be an FE12 DLC after that one, so it'll be a while before we get back to the main plot, but I figure this was a good stopping point for now.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

MythosDragon posted:

First/Challenge playthroughs aside, I... pretty much do the exact opposite. I spread the experience around on the first few chapters between everyone. I may choose a couple few guys I don't want to use and give them less EXP, but they'll still probably get some. From the game enjoyment perspective, it's more tactical and less repetitive. From the min-maxing perspective, spreading the experience around gives me more stats total, early on, and more importantly for later, gives me the ability to pick and choose blessed/unlucky units.

As an example, if I decide that Kent is the best, and only use Kent, by the end of Lyn's mode I might have a lv12 Kent, and I guess I'm gonna keep using him whether he's good or bad because it's not like I'm gonna use Lv1 Sain...
If I use Kent and Sain equally, it doesn't matter as much what levels Kent gets, because Sain might have a better luck, and by the end of Lyn's mode, I'll have lv8 Sain and a lv8 Kent. After that point, unit limits start getting stricter, so I have to pick one.... and I can pick the best of the two. Sure, I "lost" 4 levels worth of EXP, but because the EXP curve is what it is, by the end of the game, that EXP difference is like, what, 3 enemy kills?

It's also quite more entertaining when playing for an audience, because it's more variety in combat, more character growths total, and also leaves the opportunity for "just bench him already" discussions that can't really happen if you've decided early who you want to use.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I agree its more fun to watch. And on the topic of benching, Ive never had a chacter turn out bad in the least other than like the 6-8 final pegasus, but i still load them up on stat boosters I have lying around.

Glaive17
Oct 11, 2012

What is there left to discover about donuts...?
Pillbug

MythosDragon posted:

I level all characters equally. :v: (I am a fan of the versions of FE that have map grinding, it you couldn't tell.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I recently read through this LP, which made me want to reread the New Mystery LP, which then made me want to finish New Mystery after dropping it many years ago, and it was great fun so thanks for that. :) It's a pity the game got such a bad rep because of Kris (who I thought was pretty inoffensive self-insert tbh) and the lackluster art direction because I think the gameplay is top-notch.

Crap quality image because phone screenshot but I wanna show off this Ogma:

Because I find the image of a hardened warrior charging at you on a horse with two legendary weapons in hand :black101: af.

He was pretty MVP throughout my run for real too since 9 Move bow user (who isn't bowlocked!) + A Rank Swords off Mercenary made him a versatile unit who can do melee or ranged as needed. He was really helpful in deleting all those pesky ranged enemies behind walls as well; really glad I decided to try out Horseman instead of Hero. Had to burn an Arms Scroll early on to kickstart his Bow rank but it was just sitting around and no one really needed them anyway, (Julian got the first Scroll, which was enough to make him usable) and the results were worth it.

This LP also makes me wanna play Shadow Dragon, but uh, I'm not sure if this is a case of the LP making the game seem much more fun than it actually is.

blizzardvizard fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Apr 17, 2017

• Locked thread