Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Wheat Loaf posted:

The coolest possible Doctor (relative to the time of broadcast) probably would've been Peter Wyngarde playing the Third Doctor.

Yeah, sorry, but...

AndyElusive posted:

aging rockstar

Oh, I think he had that covered, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
My best friend who only got into the show a few years ago is as Tennant fangirl as they come but she still liked Matt Smith and likes Capaldi a lot as well. Blaming Capaldi's age for the show not doing as well because he's not a dashing young man seems like a bit of a cheap, empty way to have a go at the mythical "tumblr fangirl" bogeywoman who dares to have taken the grognard's show and not appreciated it in exactly the same way as them without actually meaning anything.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I disagree. That got old two episodes in and I'm glad it's an angle they eventually dropped.

I honestly stopped watching for a little while after The Caretaker and only really came back and caught up for the finale that year. It was one thing when he was just being kind of callous about the soldier woman in Into the Dalek losing her brother but it felt like they went too far from "cold and alien but ultimately caring" to straight mean and nasty with how he was in that story and towards Danny.

I like aging rockstar magician series 9 Capaldi much better.

I've been waiting for a Fifth Doctor sale for a while in hopes of getting The Secret History since Vicki and Steven are my favourite companion pairing but looks like i'll be waiting a little longer :sigh: Still, I'm only in the 40s in my main range listening so I've got a long way to go before I really need it.

jivjov posted:

I've never purchased a Main Range at full price. Ever.

Yeah, the only things I buy at full (well, preorder/bundle) price are the boxsets. Everything else you can just kind of fill out as sales pop up. This one's brought me up to 150 main range range releases.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
All the stuff to make Capaldi's Doctor seem 'cool' comes across to me as a middle-aged man trying too hard. And I say that as a middle-aged man who etc. I'm not blaming Capaldi for it; he does what the script says. How old is Moffat again?

Peter Wyngarde would have been excellent as an alternate Third Doctor, though. Especially if he'd done what he did as Jason King and just played an exaggerated version of himself.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:woop:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Box of Bunnies posted:

My best friend who only got into the show a few years ago is as Tennant fangirl as they come but she still liked Matt Smith and likes Capaldi a lot as well. Blaming Capaldi's age for the show not doing as well because he's not a dashing young man seems like a bit of a cheap, empty way to have a go at the mythical "tumblr fangirl" bogeywoman who dares to have taken the grognard's show and not appreciated it in exactly the same way as them without actually meaning anything.

I'm sorry if I gave that impression because I certainly didn't mean to. I was thinking of young viewers more so than "Tumblr fangirls". :shrug:

Payndz posted:

Peter Wyngarde would have been excellent as an alternate Third Doctor, though. Especially if he'd done what he did as Jason King and just played an exaggerated version of himself.

I can just imagine him coming across a Dalek that's been blown up with some kind of green goo seeping out of its seams and muttering, "Fancy..." then striking a match off its casing to light a cigarette.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm sorry if I gave that impression because I certainly didn't mean to. I was thinking of young viewers more so than "Tumblr fangirls". :shrug:

Oh sorry I meant more in general than you specifically. This thread is a lot better about that stuff than most other places on the internet and yeah, I can see kids being put off by Capaldi's Doctor

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Payndz posted:

This is pretty much what Mister Six was in The Invisibles. And yeah, it was pretty great.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Fil5000 posted:

This is pretty much what Mister Six was in The Invisibles. And yeah, it was pretty great.

Oh man, I haven't read the Invisibles in years. I wonder if I'll understand it any more now. 🤔

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Oh man, I haven't read the Invisibles in years. I wonder if I'll understand it any more now. 🤔

I read it about five times, two of them in conjunction with the guide. The last volume is still a mess no matter what you do.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Our long global nightmare is over :unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
ayyyyyyy

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Welp I already like Bill

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"Why'd you run like that?"
"Like what?"
"Like a penguin with its arse on fire."

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Someone went over lost Douglas Adams scripts for this one (that's a good thing)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The burrrrrrrn marks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Well that was surprisingly good.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well I really, really liked that. And I really like Bill. Really hoping the rest of the season is as strong.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
You know, all the way through the episode something felt really unusual about Bill.

I wonder if Bill is possibly Transgender or something? Who could say!

Anyway, Great start to the season, easily Capaldi's strongest opener yet. Bill was entertaining and I am still suprised at how much I enjoy Matt Lucas hanging around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also gotta say I'm a big fan of Moffat inserting these giant time-gaps (70 years teaching at the University) into his Doctor runs to make life easier for Big Finish :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I was sitting in a weird place in the living room so I had trouble hearing bits of the dialogue. Missed the 70 years line...

Movellans though!

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

Ditto on the surprisingly good verdict. Moffat often makes me want to throw the TV out or the window, but not this time. Bill came across really well. Seems like a "jumping on point", which is odd given the behind the scenes goings on, but doesn't take anything away from the episode.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Movellans though!

I know! :neckbeard:

I love that they didn't play it up too much, just threw those weirdos in there without comment, goofy wigs and all :allears:

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

That was really very good. Much better than I expected and I was already expecting it to be good. I wonder what's behind that door, though? I'm sure it'll be revealed in either Extremis or the finale.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
My fiancee is a much bigger fan of the show but has never watched the old stuff, whereas I have, so i get to be all smug about recognising things like Movellans that she has never heard of :)

I wonder if they've got Bill's sexuality out of their system, or if the next episode will start with her dictating a prologue of "I'm Bill. I travel through time and space. And I'm gay."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I thought the depiction of Bill's sexuality was very maturely handled. Kudos, Moffat.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
In honor of meeting a new companion on the TV showed Big Finish is running a small sale on companion debuts.

Edit: Storm Warning is 99¢. Buy it. Everyone in this thread should buy it.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 15, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, I was a big fan of how they treated Bill and Heather's sexuality. The latter particularly with her feelings of being "alien" and focusing on a "defect" that was just part of who she was and didn't need to be "fixed". She always felt like an outsider whereas Bill is completely confident/at ease with who and what she is.

Edit: Goddammit Big Finish.... :homebrew:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

At least this one is only $15 to get everything on sale on download!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like that episode too. Ditto to most of this

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah, I was a big fan of how they treated Bill and Heather's sexuality. The latter particularly with her feelings of being "alien" and focusing on a "defect" that was just part of who she was and didn't need to be "fixed". She always felt like an outsider whereas Bill is completely confident/at ease with who and what she is.

My favourite part was Susan though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed the episode and hope they can keep it up.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
That was a lot of fun. Bill is great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Actually excited for this season now.

Man maybe Clara was what was ruining it...

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pilot gifs - thumbnailed to prevent killing computers and also so I can throw in a spoiler (I literally had no idea about the spoiler until I saw it in the "coming soon" trailer, I'm so excited!)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ahhhhh!! I didn't notice, but he's got the rubbish little beard back!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

I kind of half disagree. I really like the way they handled the relationship, but they kept reinforcing Billie's sexuality beyond what was necessary. Her first three scenes all had some reference to her liking women. It's like they didn't trust us to recognise flirting.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Great episode, but Nardole is pointless.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cryohazard posted:

Nardole is pointless.

I'm interested in seeing where they go with him, so far I've enjoyed Matt Lucas in the role but he is almost a completely different character to the Nardole we saw in The Husbands of River Song.

I had assumed he was there because the Doctor didn't want another companion after losing Clara but also recognized that he couldn't travel alone, so he basically built a body for Nardole so he could give him the job of being his assistant without the emotional connection (which is clearly there anyway) so I'd be interested in seeing how now having a regular companion again affects his status and their relationship.

I have a feeling they won't go in that direction though, and he'll mostly remain as comic relief.

The_Doctor posted:

Ahhhhh!! I didn't notice, but he's got the rubbish little beard back!

Well he's not married anymore so he needs it again! :haw:

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
Yeah I thought that episode was pretty good. Seems borderline impossible to summarize it without sounding ridiculous though. "Man uses his magical space box to run away from a space puddle".

Bill won me over pretty fast too. With other recent companions it seemed like they expended a lot of effort showing how special + valuable + competent they were, so having someone (thus far) normal is a nice change of pace and just generally I thought Bill and The Doctor had a fun dynamic.

Payndz posted:

All the stuff to make Capaldi's Doctor seem 'cool' comes across to me as a middle-aged man trying too hard. And I say that as a middle-aged man who etc. I'm not blaming Capaldi for it; he does what the script says. How old is Moffat again?

Going back to this, the impression I got wasn't that they were trying to make him cool but more showing how he didn't really give a gently caress, so he just holds rock concerts for himself. I guess people will have different reads on it though.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That episode was good, felt like a merge of the RTD and Moffat eras.
Was expecting the puddle thing to be blinking though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Elite posted:

Yeah I thought that episode was pretty good. Seems borderline impossible to summarize it without sounding ridiculous though. "Man uses his magical space box to run away from a space puddle".

Bill won me over pretty fast too. With other recent companions it seemed like they expended a lot of effort showing how special + valuable + competent they were, so having someone (thus far) normal is a nice change of pace and just generally I thought Bill and The Doctor had a fun dynamic.

Going back to this, the impression I got wasn't that they were trying to make him cool but more showing how he didn't really give a gently caress, so he just holds rock concerts for himself. I guess people will have different reads on it though.

Not giving a gently caress about what other people think when you do stuff you think is cool, often comes across to observers as, in fact, cool.

• Locked thread