Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i think most people in this thread would be intimidated by gilgameshs dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if they'll sync limited-time events on both sides of the pond or if each versions get their own dates.

I think it'll be the latter, China just recently had the Count of Monte Cristo event in their pond.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

not say it'd be an exceptional large dick but one of a very high ranking

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
And there was much rejoicing!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopefully they dont ip ban us lol

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Endorph posted:

hopefully they dont ip ban us lol

I mean, presumably, they're doing a translation based on the number of people overseas (China excepted) who have downloaded and have financially supported the game, so that'd be a p cruel thing to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Basically, everything just as expected.
Separate server.
No IP ban.
Japanese voices and subs.
Mashu is Mash.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Well, I suppose I won't have an excuse anymore to ignore it all. Going to wind up probably asking a lot of really stupid questions though since I no, really, I have no idea how FGO works other than vaguely understanding it's free-to-play.

I can't help but feel it's kind of sad that even after all of this the original VN is still not available officially.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Well, I suppose I won't have an excuse anymore to ignore it all. Going to wind up probably asking a lot of really stupid questions though since I no, really, I have no idea how FGO works other than vaguely understanding it's free-to-play.

I can't help but feel it's kind of sad that even after all of this the original VN is still not available officially.

There's a lot of little mechanics, and most of the game involves grinding in one way or another, but it's really a pretty simple game to actually play.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Very simple. The hardest part of the gameplay itself is knowing what Servant skills and Craft Essences do, and there are multiple websites that have all of that info.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Servant skills can be pretty neat to and may give you an advantage over other opponents and not just through class. For instance, Ruler Martha can pummel the poo poo out of Divine, Demon, and Undead enemies.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The main benefit to an English release is other people transcribing stuff.

If there was an account transfer option or something, that'd be great. But there never is.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How hard (or rather how expensive is it) to just kind of go through the game/events to get the story beats? In the end that's what I care about the most.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Yeah, it's confirmed that you can't do any transfers. Well, I guess I can just count it as a side account like a bunch of people did for the JP version just to do rolls.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Nate RFB posted:

How hard (or rather how expensive is it) to just kind of go through the game/events to get the story beats? In the end that's what I care about the most.

It's not gonna be hard until like the 6th chapter of the game so you can get by for a while on thrown together teams and poo poo until you need to actually properly understand the game mechanics because that's about when DW decided they wanted the main story to be have some challenge to it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Am I gonna need to make a games thread when the english version of the game drops?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Apparently they're open to doing an English patch for the JP version? But that sounds like the typical "We'll look into it" non-answer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Also how much time in general does the game command, because holy poo poo 2017 has been a rough year in terms of finding the time to play all the games coming out. I guess if they stagger the events it won't be so bad??

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Events are staggered p far between one another and the game should have all of the QoL features they've added since it debuted in japan so you could feasibly devout as little time as you want and not be too far behind on much

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can grab level 90 5 star support servants from other players so you can just coast off those. even later into the game you just need to level bronze/silver servants that are good at support like mozart, hans, shakespeare, etc, and since they're bronzies they take very little mats and stuff to level. then just have those supports support the support servant, supportively, and you'll be fine.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The best part about FGO is that even the common, silver servants are actually good.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

And depending on the class, there's plenty of 4-star and 5-star servants that aren't great beyond having a higher level cap without grailing, and the higher numbers that comes with levels.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Obligatory, Cu Lancer is the best 3*.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Compendium posted:

Obligatory, Cu Lancer is the best 3*.
if you grail cu he's in the running for best lancer in the game, 3* or otherwise.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

That's really more indicative of the rest of lancerdom than anything though.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Endorph posted:

Mashu is Mash.

Well, it's certainly better than Matthew which was always a strange translation. Wouldn't Matthew be written as "ma te (small i) u-" in katakana or something instead?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Argas posted:

That's really more indicative of the rest of lancerdom than anything though.
yeah true lancers are definitely a weak class. like who are the good ones in general? cu, jaguarman, enkidu, scathach, leonidas?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

Well, it's certainly better than Matthew which was always a strange translation. Wouldn't Matthew be written as "ma te (small i) u-" in katakana or something instead?

Matthew is Mashu in katakana

Endorph posted:

yeah true lancers are definitely a weak class. like who are the good ones in general? cu, jaguarman, enkidu, scathach, leonidas?

Cu, Jaguarman, Scath, Li, Tamamo

The class as a whole is a mixed bag, the most solid of the knight classes is prob Archer tbh

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Ytlaya posted:

Well, wouldn't be the first time a name in katakana was rendered vaguely for multiple meanings/readings to be derived from it.

And off the top of my head, a lot of the better 4/5-star servants have rough analogues in the 1-3 range. Usually one or two aspects like being a star generator or a good skillset rather than the whole package of course. For the purposes of advancing the story or mana prism farming, it's good enough.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Endorph posted:

if you grail cu he's in the running for best lancer in the game, 3* or otherwise.

Already got a 100 lvl. Cu, maxed skills, and I almost got his bond points all filled up. I'm dedicated...

Trihugger
Jun 28, 2008

hello
I can reroll for Waver on purpose this time instead of him being a booby prize, because I get bored of rerolling very quickly.

It'll be interesting to try and beat France at low levels with a support list flooded with Wavers instead of Jeanne.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Speaking of Mashu, I was reading the Wiki article on the Epic of Gilgamesh for no particular reason, and, after the death of Enkidu, he traveled through the mountain of Mashu. I'd like to believe it's just a coincidence.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Captain Baal posted:

Am I gonna need to make a games thread when the english version of the game drops?

Assuming I don't beat you to it. (Lol @ me ever making a post tho)

I really, really like this game and I hope the translation is good so more people get to experience it in full. It's one of the most successful mobage ever for a reason.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
edit: gently caress, doublepost, i am good poster

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Captain Baal posted:

Matthew is Mashu in katakana

Ah, yeah, this wouldn't be the first time that the katakana commonly used doesn't really accurately match the native pronunciation of a word.

edit: Actually, in contrast to my earlier post, isn't "se + (small i) + u" often used for "th" sounds?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It would be depend on the word, but シュ would get the "tthew" part of Matthew as close as they conceivably can. While a name like Jonathan becomes, ジョナサン (Jo-na-sa-n) because the "than" does not sound the same as "tthew." It's a case by case sorta thing.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, yeah, this wouldn't be the first time that the katakana commonly used doesn't really accurately match the native pronunciation of a word.

edit: Actually, in contrast to my earlier post, isn't "se + (small i) + u" often used for "th" sounds?

It's actually more to do with pronunciation, rather than trying to "spell" it right. The way a Japanese person pronounces マシュ ends up sounding, especially to Japanese-as-first-language speakers, like "Matthew". Think about how we pronounce it - Ma-thew. Ma-th-u. Ma-shyu. Once you actually hear it, you understand.

If anything, I'm not super fond of Mash because really who names anyone mash

e:fb - dammit baal

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'mash' just makes me think of one of the black tristars from gundam 0079. (whose name is マッシュ incidentally)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the name Mash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They should have named her Math.